Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elephanthead posted:

Oh sweet summer child, the actual business model doesn't matter anymore, the whole plan is to get through to IPO and exercise your stock options.

But they’ve already done that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Subjunctive posted:

But they’ve already done that?

Right, but before you can dump you need to pump.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigDave posted:

Right, but before you can dump you need to pump.

You think they’re illegally manipulating their stock price?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

As someone who isn't in the US, I find it fascinating how many meal services are advertised in these podcasts. Is it because in the US there are a lot of "food deserts" so that this might be the only "healthy" option for people who live far from supermarkets, or is take out really popular in the middle class to the point that blue apron would be cheaper?

It is cheaper but these services are definitely marketed to and priced for upscale consumers who enjoy convenient home cooking with organic ingredients etc. Food deserts are largely a phenomenon of urban poverty.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Non Serviam posted:

As someone who isn't in the US, I find it fascinating how many meal services are advertised in these podcasts. Is it because in the US there are a lot of "food deserts" so that this might be the only "healthy" option for people who live far from supermarkets, or is take out really popular in the middle class to the point that blue apron woulrd be cheaper?

I don't know why anyone acted like there wasn't a straightforward answer to this question. They're popular because a lot of people are busy and would like a nice home-cooked meal without spending their limited time figuring out a fun and interesting menu, traveling to a grocery store and collecting ingredients. The money isn't an issue for the Blue Apron audience, it's saving time and labor, and making it easy to feel like a good chef, which is fun.

If you only look at it from the perspective that everyone should always want to do the cheapest thing, it won't make sense.

(I have never personally used any of these services myself, not because I'm GWM but because I'm not into cooking. But I get it.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How many of you have a Christmas Bonus / Year End Bonus as a substantial (let's call it more than 10% of your total compensation each year) part of your income?

Do your coworkers go Full Moron with the windfall?

I've never seen a Christmas bonus, but one year AT&T decided to change it's payroll from an on-time system to a paid in arrears format and picked December as the month to do it. They sent out emails assuring everyone they would get paid the exact same as before and no one would lose any money, but failed to explain that they'd receive only one check in December. The money you lost in December you would of course get back...someday (2 weeks after you retired, were fired, or changed jobs).

I bitched about it to co-workers and none of them even realized what was happening because the email had been deliberately vague. So that's my reverse Christmas bonus story.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I remember a few years back, the job I was in double-paid everyone just before Christmas. A memo went around once everyone had checked their payslips and scratched their heads, that awkwardly explained no it wasn't a holiday bonus, and that the surplus would be taken out of January's pay.

Not a good scenario, but I was so, so sick of hearing 'if you spend it they can't take it back :smug:' only for it to then become 'UNFAIR DEDUCTION OF WAGES :argh:' in the new year.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife has decided to leave and I need advice

quote:

This is a throwaway since I know some people on reddit and its an embarrassing situation.

A little background...we've been married for 3 years now and we have been arguing lately and it finally came to a head on Thanksgiving so my wife is in the process of moving out. I make about 45k and she makes about 65k. The gist of the arguments is that she has blown up mine and her credit cards to where we are now living paycheck to paycheck. I have about 32k in credit card debt that Im drowning in and she wont tell me how bad hers is but due to her bills I think shes close to that as well. Once she takes her paycheck away from the account I wont be able to pay my credit cards. We own a house and I think there is about 40k in equity. My 401k has about 80k in it. I also have a car paynent of $390 a month.

I've been thinking that I should take a hardship out of my 401k to clear the credit cards. That would give me the ability in the short term just to survive. If we do get a divorce then we will sell the house and I guess split the equity. As we stand right now my credit card bills are all due on the 15th. Any advice here would be amazing because I literally havent been able to sleep or eat because of this. I never thought the woman who has been my bestfriend would just walk out. Thanks!

$60k+ cc debt on ~$100k salary :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's going to be tricky if they fight over assets. I think she's entitled to half of whatever IRA assets he's amassed since they were married and the credit card debt may be split evenly between them. So imagine a scenario where he empties his 401k account and the judge says she's still entitled to her half, and oh - by the way here's half of the remaining credit card debt.

Then again it doesn't sound like either of them have much money for lawyers and he's probably going to go bankrupt before the divorce is even final. There are some nasty potential land mines though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

New mortgage deal offers a massive six times income
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/24/mortgage-deal-income-darlington-clydesdale

quote:

The Darlington says all applicants must be qualified and members of an industry body, and the maximum loan is 90% of the property’s value.

lol 10% down 6x income mortgages in the UK.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
For my job we get a commission check on the last Friday of the month. One thing that most of my coworkers seem to have a habit of is they cashed their tax withholdings to 0 when they get a good commission check. Which, if it’s one month is whatever, but some def do it anywhere 4-8 months, and end up accidentally owing the IRS when tax season comes due.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Non Serviam posted:

As someone who isn't in the US, I find it fascinating how many meal services are advertised in these podcasts. Is it because in the US there are a lot of "food deserts" so that this might be the only "healthy" option for people who live far from supermarkets, or is take out really popular in the middle class to the point that blue apron would be cheaper?

Those services are for lazy bougie people, not people stuck without better, more affordable options

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Both podcasts and meal boxes are aimed at an audience that wants nothing more than a prepackaged lifestyle that requires minimal personal effort

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's the same model as those monthly box of new clothes like Stitch Fix or Trunk Club. Rebrand the customer's laziness as "very busy modern person" and give them some cheap crap with a piece of paper describing how great the contents are, and how they were picked with You, Customer, in mind.

It doesn't outright harm the customer, but man it's BWM and keeps you from developing some skills like... How to meal plan, or buy clothes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's real fun getting stuff in the mail. I legit get excited with Amazon sends me a massive box full of toilet paper. Now expand that to food or random boxes of crap.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If money weren't an object I'd definitely do those boxes and stuff, considering you just send stuff back you don't like. I like the idea of having random things that I might like and need show up. Same reason I don't curate playlists and prefer stations on Pandora/Spotify/etc. Just pick the general idea of what I'm looking for and let the internet decide the rest.

But, I'm very frugal (cheap) so all of these services are full-stop BWM for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On a friend’s advice I tried Trunk Club and it was OK. I have a hard time finding non-custom clothes that fit well (size 14 feet, 36 inseam, long arms relative to shoulder width), so having the “stylist” dig through brands I’d never heard of for things that actually worked geometrically was worth the price premium. I didn’t buy very much stuff from them, but being able to buy the occasional thing without a shopping ordeal was nice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Van living with ramen is the only pure lifestyle

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Those box services always just felt like "giving up on learning a regular and manageable life skill on your own" to me.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to purchase happiness but have no hobbies interests needs or wants, please help

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We found a service (SOS Cuisine) that, for $10 a month, goes through the local grocery store flyers and send you a weekly meal plans with recipe and a grocery list.

We’re going to do that once we’re done with the free / deeply discounted meal boxes. gently caress paying $12 a meal for something I have to cook myself.

The local version is also super high calorie, like 700 Cals a portion.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Subjunctive posted:

On a friend’s advice I tried Trunk Club and it was OK. I have a hard time finding non-custom clothes that fit well (size 14 feet, 36 inseam, long arms relative to shoulder width), so having the “stylist” dig through brands I’d never heard of for things that actually worked geometrically was worth the price premium. I didn’t buy very much stuff from them, but being able to buy the occasional thing without a shopping ordeal was nice.

Wait. What? They account for your body type? 6’2” with long torso/arms right here can’t buy a sweater that fits to save his life.

Oh no. I’m about to be BWM.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

I want to purchase happiness but have no hobbies interests needs or wants, please help

Don’t doxx me please

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

CheesyDog posted:

My friend have you tried cocaine?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AndrewP posted:

lmao

hey she could find five bucks a month pretty easy by canceling his Chapo subscription

Friend with small business had an idea from Chapo to only work enough to pay his costs with no profit, until his wife (who works much harder at a stressful job) got upset and reminded him they have a baby and would like a house someday.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Hoodwinker posted:

Those box services always just felt like "giving up on learning a regular and manageable life skill on your own" to me.

I think there’s another factor of “I loving hate shopping” as well when you talk about the clothes in a box thing. Have you been in a mall in the last 20 years? It’s loving terrible.

At least for my wife, she has liked Stitch Fix to add some variety to her wardrobe. Mostly she has a particular style of things she likes wearing but she uses Stitch Fix to push the comfort-level/boundary of what she’d normally wear.

If she likes the style of whatever they sent, she’ll keep it in mind next time she needs clothes.

Fortunately, wife much prefers spending money on paying down mortgage than paying for clothes.

Content: my sister-in-law is super good at buying Blue Apron boxes and letting them rot in her fridge. I’ve tried to explain to her that a meal box for two is not a good choice with a woman that keeps no regular hours and lives alone.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

I think there’s another factor of “I loving hate shopping” as well when you talk about the clothes in a box thing. Have you been in a mall in the last 20 years? It’s loving terrible.

At least for my wife, she has liked Stitch Fix to add some variety to her wardrobe. Mostly she has a particular style of things she likes wearing but she uses Stitch Fix to push the comfort-level/boundary of what she’d normally wear.

If she likes the style of whatever they sent, she’ll keep it in mind next time she needs clothes.

Fortunately, wife much prefers spending money on paying down mortgage than paying for clothes.

Content: my sister-in-law is super good at buying Blue Apron boxes and letting them rot in her fridge. I’ve tried to explain to her that a meal box for two is not a good choice with a woman that keeps no regular hours and lives alone.
I get it from the same perspective as that other poster mentioned about using Spotify playlists to find music. I feel like people using these services for that reason is not their primary market though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blinkman987 posted:

Wait. What? They account for your body type? 6’2” with long torso/arms right here can’t buy a sweater that fits to save his life.

Oh no. I’m about to be BWM.

Sorry.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Hoodwinker posted:

For real, the way some posters tout "convenience" or whatever in this particular corner of the forums is midly irritating. Cooking is easy, it is baseline being a competent adult in every culture ever, as far back as human history goes (more or less). It's not about being cheap either, most of us in this thread can afford poo poo like that and to eat out 3x a day no prob but...cooking is effortless and doesn't require 1/5th of the time that fat internet nerds claim it takes.

These are just a gimmicky service for people who are dumb, lazy, or both. We have tons of services like in the US, not just food related! Turns out they sell pretty well.

E: I just got off the phone with my brother, a 30 year old state auditor and dad of 2 grade school children, raking in 60k/yr, who eats mcdonands and little ceasers daily because it's "cheap." Today I taught him about crock pots/slow cookers, an appliance our mother used daily. Like, what's the excuse there?

He is a criminal justice major who will rant about black lives matters if you lend him so much as an ear though, so maybe he just sucks

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 24, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Subjunctive posted:

You think they’re illegally manipulating their stock price?

If theyaren't, then they aren't trying hard enough. The whole point of modern venture capitalism is to generate enthusiasm for an idea until precisely the point that the initial investors cash out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Hoodwinker posted:

I get it from the same perspective as that other poster mentioned about using Spotify playlists to find music. I feel like people using these services for that reason is not their primary market though.

Agreed.

I think it’s how they sell it though - at least based on some fliers I see come to the house: “Mix up your dinner plan! Try something exotic!”

Which to be fair, that marketing is attractive to me. We cook a lot but I’m def no pro at a lot of cuisine.

That said - LOL if you think you’re getting out ahead of the “poor schmucks” going to the grocery store because you saved time and “time is money”.

Do the food delivery services hit a middle ground then (E.g. Amazon Fresh)? I’ve never priced them and have no idea how expensive they are.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Dick Nipples posted:

Agreed.

I think it’s how they sell it though - at least based on some fliers I see come to the house: “Mix up your dinner plan! Try something exotic!”

Which to be fair, that marketing is attractive to me. We cook a lot but I’m def no pro at a lot of cuisine.

That said - LOL if you think you’re getting out ahead of the “poor schmucks” going to the grocery store because you saved time and “time is money”.

Do the food delivery services hit a middle ground then (E.g. Amazon Fresh)? I’ve never priced them and have no idea how expensive they are.

I did Amazon Fresh a few years ago when it was only in a few cities. It was very expensive up front for joining, and you never got the benefit of getting marked down protein like $1.99/lb chicken or ground turkey. That was what I missed the most when I tried it. The value seemed very poor to me but I live in the suburbs and own a car.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

those partially prepared meal delivery companies all have horrific customer retention numbers so the only way they can show growth is by aggressively capturing new customers. podcasts are a relatively cheap way to do so

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I feel personally attacked by this page.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

those partially prepared meal delivery companies all have horrific customer retention numbers so the only way they can show growth is by aggressively capturing new customers. podcasts are a relatively cheap way to do so

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/detailed-look-blue-aprons-challenging-unit-economics-daniel-mccarthy

72% quit by 6 months after subscription
$147 to acquire one customer

the most important fact about vc is that nearly every bet completely fails

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I do grocery delivery with Peapod, but that’s because I’ve become recently disabled. It’s BWM but at least it’s not pre-packaged meal kits, I still cook for myself.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My one experience with Blue Apron was a box which was given to me by a friend who was going on vacation and forgot to stop his delivery.

My wife and I are pretty decent home cooks and we both found the recipes very difficult. They are definitely more in line with "I'm setting aside a decent amount of time and making a special meal on a Sunday afternoon" than this is something we can do on a M-F.

Plus everything had tons of ginger.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I use the Martha Stewart branded one because we got a big introductory discount. I've saved the best dozen recipes and make them other nights pretty frequently now.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sock The Great posted:

My one experience with Blue Apron was a box which was given to me by a friend who was going on vacation and forgot to stop his delivery.

My wife and I are pretty decent home cooks and we both found the recipes very difficult. They are definitely more in line with "I'm setting aside a decent amount of time and making a special meal on a Sunday afternoon" than this is something we can do on a M-F.

Plus everything had tons of ginger.

We do Blue Apron on occasion, it's a great way to try new flavors and techniques and not saddle yourself with a huge bottle of spices you'll never use.

I only remember getting one meal that had ginger, and yeah they gave you a ton. Hopefully you didn't put it all in at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the most important fact about vc is that nearly every bet completely fails

That’s why it’s fun!