Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I remember the thread title being "I accidentally ate my pregnant wife", caused by a guy's rival switching the satanist orgy buffet subject to a dude's wife, but I also recall that wasn't the only way that could happen- anyone remember or know how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Could you invite her to carousing and then eat her (if you already have the cannibal trait)?

I also killed a king of France awhile back, leading to them having a huge revolt for elective succession, and ever since France has had a new king every five or so years because they keep murdering each other for the throne.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I remember the thread title being "I accidentally ate my pregnant wife", caused by a guy's rival switching the satanist orgy buffet subject to a dude's wife, but I also recall that wasn't the only way that could happen- anyone remember or know how?

It was possible to eat random courtiers when you lock the gates during a disease outbreak. There would be an event eventually that would have one of your courtiers (possibly only ones with gluttonous?) eating the last of the rations. You could put meat back on the menu if you wanted.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

It was possible to eat random courtiers when you lock the gates during a disease outbreak. There would be an event eventually that would have one of your courtiers (possibly only ones with gluttonous?) eating the last of the rations. You could put meat back on the menu if you wanted.

Yeah there's a few events with "cannibalize someone" and "some other option (often with penalties)" and I think if you already have the cannibal trait then you don't even get the other options.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is the court educator based off of the old formula of having someone with Brilliant Strategist educate all your kids? I'm not sure if I should be going by traits, learning attributes, or profession. Also I've been sending my kids to Brilliant Strategists or Grey Eminances since Holy Fury came out and they constantly are coming out with low stats. I'm not sure how it works now.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SlothfulCobra posted:

My current game I've been stalling on becoming king because I want to be able to look back on the history tab and see when I was just a duke and not a full king

Hahaha I am so glad I'm not the only person who does this. It's completely pointless and stupid, but when I screenshot my game over screen and share it with nobody I want to be reminded of my progress, dammit. :colbert:

Doltos posted:

Is the court educator based off of the old formula of having someone with Brilliant Strategist educate all your kids? I'm not sure if I should be going by traits, learning attributes, or profession. Also I've been sending my kids to Brilliant Strategists or Grey Eminances since Holy Fury came out and they constantly are coming out with low stats. I'm not sure how it works now.

I think traits are the #1 priority now-- the education level you get is based entirely on whatever childhood traits the kid has when you pick the focus, with a bonus or penalty if they're Genius/Quick/Imbecile/whatever. The tutor's personal education trait is pretty much irrelevant.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 24, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wolfechu posted:

I will say, the antagonise button is amazing. For about a century now, my Irish rulers have been making GBS threads on a chain of English kings, just to kill time between truces expiring.

Most of them have been pretty stoic about it, but the current guy gets super pissed off, and half the time challenges me to a duel. His PCS is negative, so he either gets knocked on his rear end or adds another scar to his collection. I was kinda hoping I'd end up goading him into breaking the truce, but this is just as much fun.

Incidentally that's exactly how I manage the HRE in my viking games now before Norsedom is swole enough to GHW them directly I just antagonize any emperor into rivalling me and then duel them until there's a frail, craven, arbitrary, cruel, and/or excommunicated Emperor who's vassals all hate him

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Doltos posted:

Nope, there's been an education overhaul with Conclave. You basically want to match the childhood traits to the right education focus once they turn 12, otherwise there's a good chance they will get a bad education outcome. Read more about it here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Education_(Conclave)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you want to chain forge bloodlines you have to wait a bit to get them going anyway, until you've spread your dynasty wide and used it to absorb other, naturally appearing bloodlines first.

Then, when your characters are starting with a couple thou prestige, you can switch to any elective form, whether Elder, Tanistry or, blegh, elective. Merchant Republics aren't recommended because they disallow matrilineal marriages (how does that work with equal/enatic religions?) and so are strictly inferior for combining bloodlines. If you're west african you're probably already running with Elder and that's fine.

Using this foolproof technique, I managed to stack several different ones on my dynasty, then inbred them all on one, hideously potent branch that then had to run pure outside marriages for a few generations to get out the inbreeding. This was combined with several kidnapped men and women.

Pro-tip: if you want to send your kids as mercs like nomads, fabricate on Crete to get in diplo range from West Africa. If you're near england, the shoddy new island up north is also fine

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Then, when your characters are starting with a couple thou prestige, you can switch to any elective form, whether Elder, Tanistry or, blegh, elective. Merchant Republics aren't recommended because they disallow matrilineal marriages (how does that work with equal/enatic religions?) and so are strictly inferior for combining bloodlines. If you're west african you're probably already running with Elder and that's fine.

If I recall correctly, you cannot pick enatic clans or equality as doctrines if you're a merchant republic at the time of reformation. And I think they're also straight up disabled if you first reform and then switch from tribal to merchant republic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How can I stop losing parts of my kingdom when my current king dies? It's really annoying to have to reconquer the eastern part of ireland every time i get a new king if they have more than one kid.

I mena i could just kill the other kids, but I'm not ready to go all KSA yet.

Also, Rip Queen Brigit, killed on their 14 birthday by a huntsmen hired by mysterious parties.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

How can I stop losing parts of my kingdom when my current king dies? It's really annoying to have to reconquer the eastern part of ireland every time i get a new king if they have more than one kid.

I mena i could just kill the other kids, but I'm not ready to go all KSA yet.

Also, Rip Queen Brigit, killed on their 14 birthday by a huntsmen hired by mysterious parties.

You need to get out of gavelkind succession. Are you still tribal? If so you're stuck with gavelkind until you adopt feudalism. If you are feudal, you can change to primogeniture (oldest son/child inherits all titles) once you've reached legalism tech level 3 in your capital and passed late administration as a realm law.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also are you a King proper or just a Petty King (aka an independent Duke).

If you're the proper King of Ireland you might lose personal control of parts of Ireland but they should remain your vassals. But if you're only a Petty King, with multiple Ducal titles, then those Ducal Titles/Petty Kingships will be split among your heirs and none of them will owe fealty to eachother because they're the same rank.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

big dyke energy posted:

Could you invite her to carousing and then eat her (if you already have the cannibal trait)?

I also killed a king of France awhile back, leading to them having a huge revolt for elective succession, and ever since France has had a new king every five or so years because they keep murdering each other for the throne.

Don't go carousing with cannibals

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

You need to get out of gavelkind succession. Are you still tribal? If so you're stuck with gavelkind until you adopt feudalism. If you are feudal, you can change to primogeniture (oldest son/child inherits all titles) once you've reached legalism tech level 3 in your capital and passed late administration as a realm law.

I think I'm still tribal. And Yea I'm just a petty king. How do you get into Feudalism? Its almost 900 right now so I don't know if that's a time sensitive thing involving events or just a tech thing.

Also, how do I improve relations with other leaders to the point theyll marry their kids to my kids? Sending gifts only works a bit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

I think I'm still tribal. And Yea I'm just a petty king. How do you get into Feudalism? Its almost 900 right now so I don't know if that's a time sensitive thing involving events or just a tech thing.

Also, how do I improve relations with other leaders to the point theyll marry their kids to my kids? Sending gifts only works a bit.

feudalism from tribal requires a level 4 fort in your capital and absolute tribal authority in the laws. All of your tribal vassals will hate you for having a council. It's great having to bribe your council into voting for increasing their power.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Adopting feudalism is one of the "big decisions" in the intrigue panel, pinned to the top of the list. The requirements are that you need to have a stone hillfort in your capital, and you must adopt absolute tribal organization. And also have to follow an organized religion, but that's only a concern for unreformed pagans.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CommissarMega posted:

I thought they accidentally just clicked through an "eat them" option when catching a glutton eating stored food during a bout of hiding from a plague.

Maybe that was a different time.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Other unforseen consequences what with changes to usurping Kingdom level titles:

Since rulers can get a religious title, a Fylkir or equivalent can lose all their actual provinces, but still hang onto their Kingdom-level titles. Fun.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kemper Boyd posted:

Other unforseen consequences what with changes to usurping Kingdom level titles:

Since rulers can get a religious title, a Fylkir or equivalent can lose all their actual provinces, but still hang onto their Kingdom-level titles. Fun.

In cases like these, just use the console. It's not cheating if you're correcting bugs/unintended consequences of a mechanics change.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Midnight Voyager posted:

I thought they accidentally just clicked through an "eat them" option when catching a glutton eating stored food during a bout of hiding from a plague.

Maybe that was a different time.

IIRC (I'm not sure who posted it originally), it was the 'catch someone stealing food and eat them' event when you're hiding from the plague, but he mistakenly thought he was eating his wife's sister, not his wife.

I guess the portraits were similar or something. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does that apply to being discovered after a murder plot concludes?

I can't recall. It definitely applies to executing prisoners though.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Torrannor posted:

Most (all?) plots can't fire until there are at least three plotters. Invite more people.

They can fire with no additional plotters. Maybe there's a threshold for high enough intrigue but I literally just saw that happen earlier this week. I didn't think it could either until it did. It was a murder an infant plot if that matters. Suffocated by their maid.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I once accidentally killed my Spawn of Lucifer, master of the order daughter during an orgy. Next meeting must've been awkward.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Torrannor posted:

In cases like these, just use the console. It's not cheating if you're correcting bugs/unintended consequences of a mechanics change.

Yeah, I consoled my way out of that one.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

twistedmentat posted:

The new "sway" feature is pretty good for that, if your guy is good at getting along with people. Otherwise you can put your chancellor on another leader's capital and he'll try to improve relations. I'm not sure if it still works but you could have both your chancellor and chaplain on Rome for a double boost with the pope and then milk him for tons of cash since you're obviously a good catholic. Might be even more powerful now even.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

They can fire with no additional plotters. Maybe there's a threshold for high enough intrigue but I literally just saw that happen earlier this week. I didn't think it could either until it did. It was a murder an infant plot if that matters. Suffocated by their maid.

You can definitely fire a plot with only two plotters. I've seen it happen any number of times when I get someone's spymaster on board.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I saw a mysterious "Mukhtaria" appear in northern Germany and the more I kept digging the weirder it got.

Modifiers include "Slain Legendary Beast" and "Promised Godhood". My immortal emperor should probably keep an eye on this guy.

edit: Oh and I'm having to deal with Jewish and Hindu Khans:

edit 2:

the Queen of West Francia has a black eye on her portrait and the King has the moniker "the Evil" and he's Cruel and Wroth. :smith:

I am going to Antagonize the poo poo out of him because assassination seems unlikely to work out.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 24, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I love the little things in this game. Like 200 years ago I, the Byzantine emperor, married a French child duchess matrillineal, and was planning to have their first kid be my heir. His mom died earlier than planned and my heir became French and Catholic, so he got side stepped in favor of his brother.

But all this time that little branch of my dynasty has been merrily serving the Karlings as Dukes of Berry, even as my main dynasty went ham reconquering Italy, renounced Jesus and God in favor of Jupiter and the Roman Gods, and became the doom of Christianity.

I imagine they are just all like "no we're not THOSE Shadowings, we're the good ones. Completely different, you know!"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got bored of playing the Son of The Void, now I want to try my hand at a Nomadic game, set in a Shattered World where everyone's a nomad at the start. Any idea of what I could expect? It's my first time playing a nomad, please don't bully.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm having immense fun with this guy here:

Started off as a Duke of Toulouse, managed to marry and war myself in such a way that I was able to expand Toulouse across the south of France. Then I just needed to stay healthy and hold on, because as soon as my dad died I'd inherit all of Burgundy (after I killed my brother, naturally).

My dad finally died in a duel against a bishop and Toulouse expanded to cover half of France. Seeing my opportunity with the rebellions going on in East Francia, I declare independence. The war didn't go my way at all at the start, but I gradually fought back and reinforced with some mercenaries. The King capitulated after I took his primary province and destroyed his army a few times. Now I'm the King of Toulouse!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I lost an arm-wrestling competition against my daughter because I got distracted by her cleavage

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

CommissarMega posted:

I think the situation referenced by that thread title was that the ruler was a cannibal, that trait gives you an option to eat your prisoners, and his wife was imprisoned while he went down the list eating people.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jesus gently caress, there really needs to be a cooldown on excommunications. no sooner have i issued a declaration of repentance and got it lifted than the pope hits me with another one.

oh and there is a cooldown, but it's on declarations of repentance, so i have to wait years to lift it again

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sulphagnist posted:

I saw a mysterious "Mukhtaria" appear in northern Germany and the more I kept digging the weirder it got.

Modifiers include "Slain Legendary Beast" and "Promised Godhood". My immortal emperor should probably keep an eye on this guy.

edit: Oh and I'm having to deal with Jewish and Hindu Khans:

edit 2:

the Queen of West Francia has a black eye on her portrait and the King has the moniker "the Evil" and he's Cruel and Wroth. :smith:

I am going to Antagonize the poo poo out of him because assassination seems unlikely to work out.
That guy is the new blessed child mentioned in the patch notes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

feudalism from tribal requires a level 4 fort in your capital and absolute tribal authority in the laws. All of your tribal vassals will hate you for having a council. It's great having to bribe your council into voting for increasing their power.

Ah I forget about the laws panel. i'll need to increase my centalization because I have a stone hillfort in my Capital currently.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You don't need Centralization, just tribal authority.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think we are going places

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
What are the icons with the bomb and the wolf (?) head on the left? I don’t think I’ve seen those before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

What are the icons with the bomb and the wolf (?) head on the left? I don’t think I’ve seen those before.
Bomb is sapper and wolf is the norse fight club trait if I remember right

you can, btw, now stack some absolutely sick siege modifiers for a ruler in a lodge, if they go architect/siege leader/sapper/zun trait