Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What makes it worse than the firebombing of Tokyo?

Well, collectively the two A-bombs killed twice as many people as the firebombing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What makes it worse than the firebombing of Tokyo?

Twice as many deaths?

Both were horrific.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

imo, saying poo poo like "we thank you for the opportunity to participate in your care" when you're telling someone you're gonna let them die unless they gofundme $10k out of the aether is just rubbing salt in the wound

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 24, 2018

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Condiv posted:

imo, saying poo poo like "we thank you for the opportunity to participate in your care" when you're telling someone you're gonna let them die unless they gofundme $10k out of the aether is just rubbing salt in the wound

poo poo, is that yours?

Thank heavens we don't have "death panels". But I would certainly have concerns and questions if I got that letter.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, you could make the argument that the lingering effects of nuclear weapons are even direr than a firebombing, especially on the human body. (Don't start posting images)

As for saving lives, you could make the argument as well the bombs were there to dissuade the Soviets from pushing further into Japanese territory, including the home islands and to provide a "demonstration" if Soviet forces moved into Western Europe. Even if want to argue the Soviets didn't have the ability to land, it is quite clear from sources the US government was extremely fearful of this.

Likewise, it could be argued that Hillary was making this speech for self-promotional purposes (and we don't know the end game of it).

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Condiv posted:

jfc it’s a death panel.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

1glitch0 posted:

poo poo, is that yours?

nah, it's just something i found in c-spam

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

this being from the richard devos transplant clinic aka the fuckin' co-founder of MLM shucksters Amway seems about par for the course

keeping his shitbird family legacy alive even though he's been in the ground for 3 months

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Condiv posted:

The US health care system is an actual crime against humanity.

I mean I know we all know this, but it's still shocking

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ardennes posted:

Also, you could make the argument that the lingering effects of nuclear weapons are even direr than a firebombing, especially on the human body. (Don't start posting images)

As for saving lives, you could make the argument as well the bombs were there to dissuade the Soviets from pushing further into Japanese territory, including the home islands and to provide a "demonstration" if Soviet forces moved into Western Europe. Even if want to argue the Soviets didn't have the ability to land, it is quite clear from sources the US government was extremely fearful of this.

It's also disingenuous to compare two nuclear bombings to a single firebombing. Especially when there were many more Japanese cities firebombed into oblivion than just Tokyo. I'm all for arguing that strategic bombing itself is inhumane, but the nukes were essentially a very flashy way to do with one bomb what used to take several. The nukes were bad insofar as bombing cities full of civilians is bad regardless of how many bombs are used to achieve the same effect.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The nuclear bombings were not as substantively different from the firebombing raids as a lot of people tend to think.

With the conventional firebombing, the goal was largely the same: incinerate a city and go max casualty and infrastructural collapse. And the firebombs were grotesquely effective, gutting city after city as any ability to resist the air raids steadily disappeared. Japan's cities were packed tight and severely flammable, and the people who died in city-wide conflagrations had it real bad. Imagine watching the Station Nightclub video, but for hundreds upon hundreds of human beings with nowhere to run. I'd honestly rather just get nuked.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
USPOL Winter, brought to you by Dan Carlin

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kavros posted:

The nuclear bombings were not as substantively different from the firebombing raids as a lot of people tend to think.

With the conventional firebombing, the goal was largely the same: incinerate a city and go max casualty and infrastructural collapse. And the firebombs were grotesquely effective, gutting city after city as any ability to resist the air raids steadily disappeared. Japan's cities were packed tight and severely flammable, and the people who died in city-wide conflagrations had it real bad. Imagine watching the Station Nightclub video, but for hundreds upon hundreds of human beings with nowhere to run. I'd honestly rather just get nuked.

the survivors of the nukes are discrimated against, as are their children

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

galagazombie posted:

It's also disingenuous to compare two nuclear bombings to a single firebombing. Especially when there were many more Japanese cities firebombed into oblivion than just Tokyo. I'm all for arguing that strategic bombing itself is inhumane, but the nukes were essentially a very flashy way to do with one bomb what used to take several. The nukes were bad insofar as bombing cities full of civilians is bad regardless of how many bombs are used to achieve the same effect.

In conclusion nuclear weapons dropped on civilians are not that bad.

More a matter of opinion.

Makes u think.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Katt posted:

In conclusion nuclear weapons dropped on civilians are not that bad.

More a matter of opinion.

Makes u think.

a literal nuclear take

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Indeed, I'm aware. The thoroughness of Japan's imperialism and subjugation of Koreans resulted in tens of thousands of the nuclear casualties being Koreans who had been imported as slave labor and kept in the cities. And, unsurprisingly, they had to fight the hardest and longest for any sort of recognition as victims, after decades of complete neglect. That story is one of many I had to grow up with about the general horrors of occupation.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1glitch0 posted:

poo poo, is that yours?

Thank heavens we don't have "death panels". But I would certainly have concerns and questions if I got that letter.

I was reading a story the other day that now Insurance companies are using the tracking data from cpap machines to try their best to justify not paying them and taking them back from sleep apnea patients. Sleep Apnea is extremely dangerous and untreated can lead to heart attacks, strokes, and other hugely expensive medical issues but hey, they need to pinch those pennies

I'd honestly put health insurance execs ahead of bankers on my hanging from lamp posts list

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like for the marriage part the US also has extreme superstition that radiation causes you to have mutant freak children but no one has even nuclear bombed us so we only get to keep that as a fun thing for fiction and never had it come out in real life much.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

My very good employer-provided coverage went up by another 20% for 2019. Most of the people I know had similar increases.

It’s only a matter of time before the “I like my plan!” people break and sign on to UHC.

Edit: didn’t catch the “Devos” on there at first :lol:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 24, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They made the RN sign it, too. None of the loving doctors on the panel.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I feel bad for OP, and our system is poo poo, but that pic doxxes the signing nurse who likely had nothing to do with the decision

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Condiv posted:

Yeahhhh these people need to be ground into a fine paste and spread on crackers

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Condiv posted:

rubbing salt in the wound

a procedure like this would cost at least $1200

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Skex posted:

The difference between myself and the Dems are bad brigade is that I believe that people can be wrong without having to be malicious. And yes there is a substantive difference between the two.
I used to believe this. And, I mean, I still think it's possible to be "innocently" wrong. But put it like this: in 2012, I would have confidently made the assertion that at least 30-40% of Republican voters fit that bill. That they'd been duped into thinking national finances are tight or that the Iraq war was necessary or the just world hypothesis. Whatever. And that if they could just be made to see the truth then they'd move to the left. But then the Republicans put up a walking talking avatar of all that is evil in the world. Anyone who was ignorant of the GOP's true nature before then sure as hell wasn't afterwards. And yet such a small number of people actually defected from the party that he won the election anyway, and in the subsequent decades years of horror that's stayed consistent. That 30-40% of "innocently wrong" Republicans turned out to be no more than a statistical blip.

Blairites in the Labour party are another recent example. For two decades they told us that centrism was a matter of tactics, and that they shared our leftist values but we couldn't do any good if we were out of power, and that we'd just have to hold our noses and vote New Labour. Then an actual leftist took the reins and they did absolutely everything in their power to sabotage him, culminating in an obviously-doomed coup attempt shortly after the Brexit vote that destroyed the public perception of Labour. Claiming all the while that it was all they could do to save the party from electoral oblivion. Then a general election happened, and Labour did extremely well despite that - performing about 10 points better than they did under the last (centrist) candidate, and gaining seats despite the collapse of UKIP disproportionately benefiting the Tories. It was, in short, comprehensively proven that running a competent leftist was a viable electoral strategy. And yet the sabotage continues, and Blair himself now openly maintains that he'd rather see a centrist Labour lose an election than see a left-wing Labour win one.

So now I'm a lot warier about assuming good faith in people whose actual actions are evil. Especially when they're also politicians.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Fun Times! posted:

I feel bad for OP, and our system is poo poo, but that pic doxxes the signing nurse who likely had nothing to do with the decision

The person who was just told they’re going to die if they don’t fundraise $10,000 probably doesn’t care about doxxing the person who told them.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

Republicans are getting quite close to convincing me that the 2nd amendment is really important.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it can't be said enough that aside from the most obvious horrific death toll they had the nukes literally destroyed the lives of basically everyone in two of Japan's most major cities even if they were lucky enough to survive, and these things straight up still never really got sorted. Like, we used a weapon that even we had no clue what it'd really DO, let alone the victims of it. People saw 'well Hoshi survived the nuke, that's good...but what if he has some kinda super cancer that could spread...' and poo poo as reasonable questions because even we were going 'YEA MAYBE IT GAVE THEM SUPER CANCER????'. The fear and trauma in the aftermath destroyed countless more lives than the initial, again, horrific death toll.

Nukes: They're kinda the worst thing to do to someone! We're the bad guys!

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Lol, modest efficency (10%) gains in rather specfic wind conditions on certain ocean routes do not a replacement propulsion plant make.

This is a little late, but it absolutely will. That's hundreds of millions of savings on fuel annually for the big companies. 10% is a crazy efficiency increase.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Considering the fallout Google Maps caused by overlaying old prefecture maps on top of modern ones which ended up showing areas where burakumin used to live i'm not entirely sure that Japan needs much of an excuse to discriminate against their own.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pakled posted:

The creator of McAfee antivirus who's turned super libertarian militia nutso in the face of various murder and fraud charges.

Ego-bot posted:

He ran to be the nominee of the Libertarian Party in 2016. He also moved to Belize so he could do bath salts without big government getting in his way.

He is also super into Bitcoin and said he would eat his own dick if it doesn't hit a certain price by 2020.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1066034406371061761
Get fuckt, Trump

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1066348448646144001

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kobayashi posted:

Difference of intent does not imply difference in practice.

Do y'all not get that the natural consequence of shifting the Overton window to the left is that people who were previously to the left of center end up on the right of the new center?

20 years ago Clinton was as far to the left as could get elected and I'm talking about Bill.

Prester Jane posted:

God, the arrogant, ignorant, privilege of this statement. If you are crossing the street minding your business and you get hit by a car it really doesn't matter if you were hit because the driver was texting, drunk, or because they were your arch-nemesis hunting you down. You still got hit by a car.

What you don't understand (because you have lived such a soft and easy life) is that Clinton's mistakes have dire consequences for people at the bottom of the totem pole. So no, there is no meaningful difference between malicious evil and banal misinformed evil.

Intent is utterly irrelevant when your errors cost lives and destroy populations.

I have to admit that I was wrong about there not being any conservative leftists.

You are literally what happens when you mate the regidity of thinking of the authoritarian brain with leftist ideological framing. You are using the exact same twisted logic that leads anti-choice fanatics to blow up women's health clinics and murder doctors who perform abortions.

Replace murder babies with the victims of social injustice and you are making the exact same logic, you have identified what you consider an unacceptable injustice and determined who the perpetrators are and are actively dehumanizing them so that you can justify whatever is necessary to stop the injustice. Which I could almost understand, except that instead of targeting the obvious loving villains you are blaming the only people who are fighting back in any effective way.

Because in case you haven't noticed people aren't marching through the loving streets, and you can't even begin to claim that it's not because they don't loving know what's going on.

What the gently caress do you want us to do? Why are you telling me how privileged and awful I am rather than out there doing it?

Get some loving therapy because injustice has been a part of the human condition for as long as humans have been and the way that it is looking it will be that way for short amount of time we have left. And in the end we are all loving dead forgotten either way.

This isn't a just world it is just the world, I'm no loving god who can twitch my nose make world better anymore than you are.

If you follow your hosed up logic to it's natural conclusion, if centrists are no better than active intentional Nazis and the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi where does that logic go?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Skex posted:

injustice has been a part of the human condition for as long as humans have been and the way that it is looking it will be that way for short amount of time we have left. And in the end we are all loving dead forgotten either way.

This really reads as you telling a trans person and by extension other minorities to shut up and deal with it fyi

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wise man good bad imbecile moron dril tweet

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Katt posted:

The dropping of the atomic bombs had nothing to do with preserving life. It had to do with prestige. After pearl harbour the US had to have unconditional surrender from Japan and only the atom bombs could deliver that. The alternative would have been signing a peace treaty with them.

The bombs were dropped solely because the US could not let Japan get away with a peace treaty.

Japan's peace offer of the time included them still holding on to their possessions in China/Korea.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

guess she should've just been forced out of the race by the party cause crowley was gonna win

This is really loving dumb. "Pelosi rigged the primary" is what you said. "Hoyer suggested to the challenger (who lost 2 to 1 in the end) that they would not win" is what you proved happened. Good for Tilleman for not dropping out but your original statement is still completely unfounded.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Skex posted:

Get some loving therapy because injustice has been a part of the human condition for as long as humans have been and the way that it is looking it will be that way for short amount of time we have left. And in the end we are all loving dead forgotten either way.

This isn't a just world it is just the world, I'm no loving god who can twitch my nose make world better anymore than you are.

What a shock, the ur-centrist is a huge believer in the Just World fallacy. "Injustice is just a rule of nature, loving deal with it" is not an inspiring message to those who are being treated unjustly.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Skex posted:

If you follow your hosed up logic to it's natural conclusion, if centrists are no better than active intentional Nazis and the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi where does that logic go?
UHC, UBI, generations of children raised on the ideas of compassion and cooperation, and ultimately a far more utopian outcome than the hellscape of corpses you're envisioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Taerkar posted:

Japan's peace offer of the time included them still holding on to their possessions in China/Korea.

The bombs were in all honesty probably more about finishing the war and providing a demonstration project against the Soviets than anything else. The US didn't want to have to go through Operation Olympic and the Soviets were moving very quickly in August 1945. The US needed to both decisively end the war, cut off Soviet movements, and show the Soviets they just didn't have the bomb but multiple ones.