Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If you book your tickets using United on a codeshare, the ANA seat selection you will have to do on the ANA site. The record locator is not the same, but you should be able to input your 13 digit Ticket Number (that you should see on the United receipt) on the ANA site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Goons posted:

Stuff about Peach Airlines

Good info, thanks! Unfortunately the next cheapest flight that isn't Peach/HK Express (~90 USD plus bag fees) is Hong Kong Airlines for 375 USD, so unless Peach really really sucks it doesn't seem worth it to pay the extra. I've flown EasyJet, Frontier, and Spirit, and while they weren't very comfortable it wasn't too bad I guess, so if Peach is about the same or slightly better than those, and I can feel confident that we aren't going to end up in the South China Sea then I'll be okay. I'll just have to check bag info if they're lovely about it. I have a 45L duffel/backpack convertible bag and then whatever crap duffle I pick up in Japan for my anime body pillows high culture souvenirs. Do you all know if I can bring food/snacks through security at KIX so I don't have to pay a ton for food on the plane?

peanut posted:

Note that the Peach terminal at KIX is a ghetto trailer maze that you get bussed to, so allow an extra 40 minutes just for that.

Good to know. How early should I leave Osaka and/or arrive at KIX for an international flight taking this into account, then?

Edit: Just noticed that their carry on restriction is a max combined size of 115cm. My bag combined measurement according to Tom Bihn: 114cm :whatup:

Keret fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 19, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Food you can bring through KIX; liquids you cannot.

Last time I went through a Japanese airport they triggered on a bunch of purins I had on me and confiscated it :(. Jokes on them, they forgot the other container of purins I had.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Keret posted:

Good to know. How early should I leave Osaka and/or arrive at KIX for an international flight taking this into account, then?

Normal international minimum is to arrive at the airport 2 hours before departure, try to make that 2.5 or a full 3 hours (to also buy snacks after going through security.) Hong Kong is cool and good. If you can speak English and recognize some Kanji you'll do well.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Keret posted:

Good info, thanks! Unfortunately the next cheapest flight that isn't Peach/HK Express (~90 USD plus bag fees) is Hong Kong Airlines for 375 USD, so unless Peach really really sucks it doesn't seem worth it to pay the extra. I've flown EasyJet, Frontier, and Spirit, and while they weren't very comfortable it wasn't too bad I guess, so if Peach is about the same or slightly better than those, and I can feel confident that we aren't going to end up in the South China Sea then I'll be okay. I'll just have to check bag info if they're lovely about it. I have a 45L duffel/backpack convertible bag and then whatever crap duffle I pick up in Japan for my anime body pillows high culture souvenirs. Do you all know if I can bring food/snacks through security at KIX so I don't have to pay a ton for food on the plane?

Get stuff cuz especially if you bought the cheapest ticket on peach, cuz they don't give you poo poo.

Before the one time I flew them multiple reviews said they wouldn't even sell you drinks on the plane if you got that ticket which seemed wrong but I brought a drink and slept 90% of my flight so I was unable to confirm/deny.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I liked peach more than the other LCCs. Hong Kong Airlines is more of a LCC than an actual airline. Normally they are cheap as hell but not this time I guess.

You can’t bring drinks across security but being Japan there’s still a duty free terminal after you clear customs. You can buy food/snacks before departure

BUT

All the Japanese airlines wised up to the shopping tourists and insist on a 1/2 carryon bag policy so you can’t buy 5 bags of duty free crap anymore. Just use your Tom bihn and you should be fine. The KIX LCC is ghetto but ghetto in japan is not ghetto at all

When are you coming to HK? I can meet up or host and if you can get me a box of Tokyo bananas that would be awesome

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mom and dad want to try again with the Japan tourism trip. I’ve put on a few pounds and I’ve always been pretty butch in appearance. Would I have any issues socializing or getting attention? I know that Japan has a bit of a thing about being overweight or any sort of gender non-conforming.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No one cares about tourists in Japan unless they're mainlanders breaking things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough :v:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Mom and dad want to try again with the Japan tourism trip. I’ve put on a few pounds and I’ve always been pretty butch in appearance. Would I have any issues socializing or getting attention? I know that Japan has a bit of a thing about being overweight or any sort of gender non-conforming.

You will be the top headline for weeks after you visit. Everyone in Japan will be thinking about you for months, if not years, after your visit. You are very, very special.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your parents are the primary obstacle to socialization (people already expect tourists to be fat and crass.)

Avoid peak summer, if possible. Tourism means walking around outside all day and most Moms and Dads of Gaikoku will quickly wither in July-August heat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Any living being will. Even inanimate objects like roads and restaurant displays cannot withstand Japanese summer.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I went to Japan with my friend who's a butch, broad, tall (cis) woman and she got harassed and glared at in washrooms, somebody actually in broken English told her she needed to leave and wasn't welcome. My friend responded by grabbing her own chest to "demonstrate" and the woman was mortified and apologised. (The worst was in rural areas but there was a bit in Tokyo too.) I speak Japanese a bit so I could hear people talking about her... nothing derogatory, actually, but kids and teens were saying stuff like "Is that foreigner a woman?" or "wow, she's tall!" or "look, it's a woman with a shaved head!"

She was like "is this how it's like to be trans?" and I'm like, "Basically. Try unisex washrooms."

A lot of interesting people in Tokyo dug her style, though!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sale on Banksy art posted:

You will be the top headline for weeks after you visit. Everyone in Japan will be thinking about you for months, if not years, after your visit. You are very, very special.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why do people think they are some unique snowflake all the time?

We only talk to you because you paid 10 bucks for some Internet forum

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Because I'm small, insignificant and melt easily.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Saeku posted:

nothing derogatory, actually, but kids and teens were saying stuff like "Is that foreigner a woman?" or "wow, she's tall!" or "look, it's a woman with a shaved head!"

She was like "is this how it's like to be trans?" and I'm like, "Basically. Try unisex washrooms."

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but maybe they were talking about you?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Lol nah, I'm a trans man, not tall, and my hair's a few inches longer than hers. I get mistaken for a woman way less than she gets mistaken for a man. (But she got mistaken for a man way more in Japan.)

It's more like, yeah, I remember it being that way.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japan's still p far behind on that kind of stuff, but probably no worse than like Indiana or something.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

Japan's still p far behind on that kind of stuff, but probably no worse than like Indiana or something.

I would bet your chances of getting beat up are a lot higher in Indiana.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Do any of you play pachinko with any regularity? I've tried a few times when in the inaka with literally nothing else to do, but I still can't see what the draw is. Always give up after like 20 minutes and a couple thousand yen. Is it actually entertaining at some level I haven't reached?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You need to be about 50 years older and a chain smoker.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Alright, I'm working my way to becoming both. Will post trip report

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Do any of you play pachinko with any regularity? I've tried a few times when in the inaka with literally nothing else to do, but I still can't see what the draw is. Always give up after like 20 minutes and a couple thousand yen. Is it actually entertaining at some level I haven't reached?

Nope. No interest. I’m not much for gambling in general but the atmosphere of pachinko places is a major turn-off. Don’t smoke and hate smelling like it, don’t like the noise, and the gameplay is pretty incomprehensible to be honest.

I know there’s not much in some inaka towns but tachiyomi at the 7-11 of the adult section or drinking in front of said 7-11 has to be more entertaining than pachinko.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

im in sapporo now and hokkaido rules. i've had like 3 of the best things i've ever eaten while here.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Obviously not in a smoky loud atmosphere, and more comprehensible than the video machines, but I do have this and one other and I quite enjoy it?
EDIT: I really like the ding of the bell

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

drinking in front of said 7-11

This is my default past time throughout all of Japan, and I recently discovered the same is legal in S.Korea. However I've also discovered a few true inaka where there is no 7-11 anywhere nearby the train station. Instead only pachinko. In the true inaka, no one can hear you scream.

Magna Kaser posted:

im in sapporo now and hokkaido rules. i've had like 3 of the best things i've ever eaten while here.

1) Ultimate Fridays™ Signature Glazed Ribs
2) Extreme Fajitas©
3) Shrimp Poppers

Just kidding! Do check out the restaurant called "Noa's Ark" while there.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 28, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

That’s it? I’m sure there’s more to the story of this happy trip

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

EDIT: I really like the ding of the bell

I haven't seen that style of pachinko machine in 15 years

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peanut posted:

I haven't seen that style of pachinko machine in 15 years

One of the other things I like about it is its mechanical, the only electronics in it is the bulb (I replaced with an led made for arcades) and a couple leaf springs. I think the modern pachinko machines can be pretty interesting (when its done with a tie-in to a property I recognize) but I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on and I left when my ears started to bleed. Theres an episode of Abroad in Japan where they sort of go over how pachinko is played for anyone thats interested.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What's the best way to get from Hakodate to Hiroshima? Fly to Osaka and then trains to Hiroshima? Quick googling isn't showing a lot in the way of flights to Hiroshima.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

What's the best way to get from Hakodate to Hiroshima? Fly to Osaka and then trains to Hiroshima? Quick googling isn't showing a lot in the way of flights to Hiroshima.

Hakodate-Haneda and then Haneda-Hiroshima. There will be more available through Haneda than anything else. Trains and buses would take a lot longer.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

harperdc posted:

Hakodate-Haneda and then Haneda-Hiroshima. There will be more available through Haneda than anything else. Trains and buses would take a lot longer.

Using JAL's website and google flights I was unable to find flights from Hakodate to Hiroshima even with layovers but looking more specifically I can certainly find flights from Hakodate to Haneda and then one from Haneda to Hiroshima. Is this how flights are sold in Japan? Some element of standard lovely Japanese web design? A sign I can't operate a computer and need an adult?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Google Maps probably just doesn't have the information from JAL (and has periodically been poo poo at booking domestic Japanese flights).

Are you looking at the JAL domestic (Japan) website? I see connecting tickets there.

If you are booking by Explorer Pass, then that will have to be done by segment.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a couple of friends visiting Tokyo in April next year for about a week. They're not super into touristy sightseeing or countryside walks or anything and afaik basically plan to spend the whole time in arcades. Is there anything else you guys would recommend in/around Tokyo that might be of interest to them? One of them doesn't drink, so cool bars aren't really an option. Even slightly odd arcades like Anata no Warehouse or the old games at Decks Tokyo Beach would do for suggestions!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Natsuge museum (retro game museum)
http://www.t-tax.net/natuge/

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

Sapporo is like the world capital of having a good time

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

Natsuge museum (retro game museum)
http://www.t-tax.net/natuge/
Looks like I've found something for my own next trip too, thanks! My Japanese isn't good enough to do much reading at the place but just looking at old arcade cabinets is cool.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 30, 2018

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
It's got "museum" in the game but it's like any other arcade, just with retro cabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Can we add these to the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwRyix7zu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrNsroX4Bcs