Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tape is where it’s at. You guys cutting in everything by hand are suckers.

In paint chat I have just taken my bathroom door off so I can sand and paint it as it has needed doing for 10 years.
It’s the original door to my 50’s house. It only had 2 coats of paint on the bathroom side but the bottom one was some horrible paint that took me around 3 hours and 6 belt sander belts to get off and smelt disgusting (I wore a proper dust mask)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

the real pro move is rent a paint sprayer and do the entire interior in one monochrome paint scheme

yes that includes appliances

and furniture

and clothing

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fender Anarchist posted:

the real pro move is rent a paint sprayer and do the entire interior in one monochrome paint scheme

and furniture

and clothing

I'm about 80% serious when I say that would work very well for ryno's house.

Brilliant white on the walls and ceiling would make it look much lighter and more modern.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

and furniture

and clothing

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I decided I'd like to build my godson a ride on-tractor, basically a half-scale grey Fergie. I'm trying to decide if sitting down and actually working out the kingpin inclination and scrub radius for the front axle design is perhaps taking things a bit too seriously. Even though I'm now ruminating on how much castor to build into it...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Beat me to it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Queen Combat posted:

I feel nasty above 30%

Though my skin is drying out like crazy from, like, not having any testosterone, so I'm probably going to have to change my habits. Woke up one morning to the tips of both middle fingers dry and threatening to bleed. I've tried to keep my living areas at or below 30% for years and this is the first year where it's mattered.

Drinking water and coconut oil lotion helps.

Just up it a bit. As I've gotten older, I've noticed that if I don't run a humidifier in here in the winter my knuckles start to crack and bleed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

spog posted:

I'm about 80% serious when I say that would work very well for ryno's house.

Brilliant white on the walls and ceiling would make it look much lighter and more modern.

It might be an improvement on the current planned color scheme from a circa 2004 Abercrombie & Fitch store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The ceilings and walls will be different paints, that was where my taping question originated. I dont fancy the idea of taping that off but will of there's no other option.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just watched Wreck It Ralph 2 with the family. Loved it and am not the least bit ashamed to admit that the part that had me fuckin' dying was the bit with the Disney princesses.

Also, don't read the credits or you'll spoil the last after credits scene: Ralph Astley.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh happy day, I found someone who makes an OEM radio for my Explorer that has a bluetooth upgrade.

I've been really wanting to have that feature in there, but trying to find an aftermarket radio that isn't....terrible is pretty much impossible. Like, it's 2018, why does every headunit still look like a neon rave?
And the touchscreen units aren't much better. Either garishly colored, or the software looks like a WinAmp skin from 2003.

I had tried, a few years ago, to get something working by upgrading to an OEM headunit that had an AUX feature on it, that was supposed to be used with in-car DVD players and such, but that required a special adapter and good loving luck trying to find anything car audio related from a decade ago.

I know this is pretty minor, but MY INTERIOR AESTHETICS. :argh:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 24, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sigh, this machine has 55h on it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh happy day, I found someone who makes an OEM radio for my Explorer that has a bluetooth upgrade.

I've been really wanting to have that feature in there, but trying to find an aftermarket radio that isn't....terrible is pretty much impossible. Like, it's 2018, why does every headunit still look like a neon rave?
And the touchscreen units aren't much better. Either garishly colored, or the software looks like a WinAmp skin from 2003.

I had tried, a few years ago, to get something working by upgrading to an OEM headunit that had an AUX feature on it, that was supposed to be used with in-car DVD players and such, but that required a special adapter and good loving luck trying to find anything car audio related from a decade ago.

I know this is pretty minor, but MY INTERIOR AESTHETICS. :argh:

I had to sort through hundreds to find one that vaguely fit my interior. I don't understand why they're all so bad, it seems the more high end features it has, the uglier they get

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

The ceilings and walls will be different paints, that was where my taping question originated. I dont fancy the idea of taping that off but will of there's no other option.

Tape it where you can. If you can't cut well it will look terrible just like how a terrible fill job on cracks/chips will probably look worse than just leaving it.

Protip - Make sure you clean the walls well. Try to pull the baseboards if you can, you will probably need to if you are laying that laminate anyhow. You don't have to be so careful painting .. but if you are really ambitious, new baseboards make a huge difference in the aesthetics of a house and really don't cost much. If you seal the top of the baseboard against the wall gyproc (make SURE you use paint compatible sealant, if not the paint will not stick to it worth a poo poo) it'll look extra pro.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We used premium Solver paints on our house and the painters still did an undercoat and three colour coats. Hard work, but totally worth the efforts for the quality of finish.

Painting is a royal pain in the arse, so go the extra effort once so you don’t have to empty the entire house again to paint it a second time in 4 years time

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone else forget it was Black Friday? I ended up ordering two things my wife has wanted, but otherwise I didn't see anything worth picking up. The deals were just meh last year and this year was just as bad, if not worse.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MrChips posted:

Well, since it's American Thanksgiving, that means only one thing - AI's most beloved holiday tradition, the Sheep Game, has returned to bless us with discord and squabbling for the tenth time! :neckbeard:

Click on the creepy sheepies to play today!

:siren: SHEEP GAME, YOU MALCONTENTS :siren:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
When you quote a url'd image and timg it, the hotlink is lost for desktop users :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

gently caress black friday

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

When you quote a url'd image and timg it, the hotlink is lost for desktop users :(

UGH it's stickied and also right here!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Last warning quit being racist

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Previa_fun posted:

I've heard people at work complain about how poo poo it is that we have black Friday shoved down our throats when we don't even celebrate Thanksgiving. These people then go to the shops on or about that day to buy a "bargain" TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We went out looking for a deal on paint and a scratch and dent fridge. As much as I hate the day there were some decent paint deals at Menards.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

UGH it's stickied and also right here!

SMH if you don't browse by anything other than your bookmarks and sometimes links within threads to other threads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've heard people at work complain about how poo poo it is that we have black Friday shoved down our throats when we don't even celebrate Thanksgiving. These people then go to the shops on or about that day to buy a "bargain" TV.
It's not like we can take a day off work and have consumer sales for every time we've subjugated an indigenous people and taken their poo poo, we'd be on a permanent two day work week. :britain:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It's not like we can take a day off work and have consumer sales for every time we've subjugated an indigenous people and taken their poo poo, we'd be on a permanent two day work week. :britain:

"Finally, all that terrible colonialism has paid off" mutters the foreign secretary as he nails another head of States head into a plaque. "With the third Tuesday in February secured we can finally usher in a peaceful new age of 2 day working weeks throughout the year"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It seems such a bizarre decision to try and have a sales day on a non-public holiday Friday.

We're either working, knackered from working or down the pub, drinking to forget working.

Related: I don't think Amazon quite understands when they should be converting units of measure:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MORE VIDEO

We're going to buy the bulk of our paint today but I'm uncertain if we should move forward with some of this. Gimmie some thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92T0Cwi_CU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

White everywhere with the exception of the ceiling beam.

Personally, I think brown is a dated colour.

Also, with a dark laminate floor, you need lighter colours to compensate.

I'll also suggest that Slate Grey may be too dark for a narrow hallway and you should go a couple of shades lighter

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

MORE VIDEO

We're going to buy the bulk of our paint today but I'm uncertain if we should move forward with some of this. Gimmie some thoughts

Holistically, congrats on buying the house. You saw through the previous owner's style and see its potential. Unfortunately it needs a lot of work stylistically. The elephant in the house is the mismash of dark trim, light walls, too many flooring colors/types/textures. You're going to have to either bite the bullet and paint the trim throughout the house, or make other decisions to bring harmony. I would lean towards biting the bullet, especially since you haven't moved in yet. It's only going to become more difficult later.

The second thing I would tackle is the flooring. My recommendation is to bring as much consistency as possible. Right now it's like an explosion at the flooring store. Too many surface types, textures, colors. If you're going laminate wood upstairs, every room should have that same laminate. Then pick one something for the wet areas. Same thing downstairs. Pick a flooring for rooms, wet areas, and stick with it. You can get away with a third flooring (carpet) if done carefully. Key is to only have one transition visible in any one room.

Then, because you're DYI, I'm going to recommend going as neutral as possible for your move-in painting. Or skip painting the walls all together and pool your resources to tackle the trim and flooring. Either way come back in a year or two after your furniture has a perma-home and then try to bring color in.

As far as the fireplace room, I would leave the stonework as-is. I really like it. Tackle the trim and bring consistency to the flooring downstairs first. Then I would find a color in the stonework and put it on the walls. Grays would cool the room visually and make the colors in the stonework pop, an off-white or cream would do the same with a warmer feel. A off-white with a blue, green, yellow tint would be interesting.

There will always be something to do until you die. Do the hard stuff now before you move in, spend the extra money to get quality, and save everything else for later.

Just my QEFTSG recommendation

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

MORE VIDEO

White trim is timeless. Wood/brown trim is super dated. It is a huge pain to change the color. To do it right, you need to sand, prime and paint with an enamel. Sherwin Williams ProClassic is a good paint. Source: Our house is slowly being changed from wood trim to white. My wife did a ton of research on "best" practices. It is a huge drag, but pays off. Changing that room to white trim with a whitewashed fireplace would make an unbelievable difference. But buckle up, it really is a huge job. Some painters won't even quote it out.

e:f,b I agree on the flooring, homogenize as much as possible.

Edit2: Your vertical video is shameful.

Edit3: Change the handrails entirely. Maybe as a phase 2, they're not worth taking the time to refinish. Also, don't even gently caress with the smoke detector batteries, just change them out. They're probably way overdue.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 24, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm all for white trim everywhere. We're pulling all the baseboards to install the floors so we'll do it right. Sanding the windows is a bit of an undertaking right now so it may have to wait.

The entire second floor will have matched floors, the first floor will have 2 colors.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Not to get in the way of the Rhyno parade, but I moved earlier this year and thought I'd share my adventure.

Note: I didn't follow some of my own advice to Rhyno. Backstory:

I had a 1000 sq ft starter home in a early 50s post-WWII starter home neighborhood, in the first ring of suburbs. Beginning last October I started seeing comps increase 1-2% per month vs 1-2% per year. Then the local housing supply started to dwindle down -- a balanced market is around 10k homes for sale in the metro area. In January comps increased by 10% and the inventory reached 2.5k for sale. In Feb comps increased another 8% and inventory hit 2k. I put my house on the market in March - inventory was around 1750 homes. Comps were selling immediately above listing. We raised the asking price by 10% when we had 3 offers almost immediately, sight unseen. The open house was on day 3 and we had more than 20 couples lined up at the door a half-hour beforehand. 5 offers over listing price and 7 at listing. We played the bidding war for another week and ended up getting 30% over listing.

At the same time I needed a place to live. I started looking for condos downtown, specifically in an area that was underdeveloped but 'up and coming' as it was walking distance to several notable venues. The first condo at first glance appeared to be exactly what I wanted, but the photos were deceiving. It had a lot of DIY repairs that were (very) poorly done and the building condition was not what it should have been for a recent (under 10 year old) gut and remodel. HOAs were high. Hard pass.

The second condo was right on the border of my target area and had been on the market for almost a year. It was about 500 sq ft larger than any other listing below $1MM. The listing photos were poo poo, and the listing agent wasn't much better. PO had done some lovely DIY as well - painted the kitchen cabinets a chocolate color but didn't prep. Painted all the walls but with runs and streaks everywhere. Ran out of paint mid-wall. Bedroom carpets were worn out and had paint all over them. The complex had a great community - it was active and I met several neighbors. HOA had a good reserve, and the building was really well maintained. I put in an offer for 25% below listing and they countered at 20% below. Closing was a nightmare - we found out dude had a $15k lien by the HOA for non-payment. None of the repairs in the contract were done at time of closing, he hadn't moved out when I closed and I ended up having to give him the weekend to finish moving.

So now the video tour - I've done nothing with the carpets or paint (yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxyvUwnno6E

Best set of decisions I ever made. Condo has appreciated since I've been here, they're building/renovating more next door with retail on the lower floors. I pretty much park the car and walk after work/on the weekends.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 24, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice get. Sometimes in order to get a really good deal, it's not always about the item itself.

A lot of the time, you can get a good deal by being willing to put up with the seller's bullshit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

One house we ended up not getting the seller was fighting against paying for indemnity insurance Vs some alterations that had been done previously. After stalling for weeks he had his estate agent get in touch demanding an additional £8k (on a £50k house) because the market was getting higher. Note similar houses were maybe asking +£1k at most. We told him to go pound sand and bought a better house elsewhere.

That insurance was about £40.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We bought so much paint!

Stain concealing primer. There's some soot that we just can't get off. This was highly recommended to conceal it. We had to pay full price for it but the 5 gallon bucket had a rebate so we'll pretty much do every surface on the first and second floor.

Ceiling paint. We got enough to do every square inch. Also a tremendous rebate.

The main paint. Enough to do two coats on every wall. We picked out a very light gray to give the house a neutral base that will reflect light well. The Dutch Boy brand doesn't do smaller than a gallon so we're going to make a run to Lowes and pick out a few colors for accent walls around the house. I'm very happy with this idea, the master bedroom will have a single darker gray wall. The other bedrooms we'll decide on later and the dinign room and foyer will have a color tying them together, green or red. And we're just going to paint the staircase walls so it won't be a huge colored wall in each room. I think it will look pretty sharp when all is said and done.

Trim paint. We got a single gallon to start. We're just going to do all the baseboards and door frames. And there's crown molding in the master. Since that room's window is fairly small it will be the first one we experiment with painting white.

As I stated in the first video, we scored 1200 sq ft of FREE LVT flooring in a dark color. It should look very good with the lighter trim and walls. As we plan to remodel the kitchen next year we're not in a rush to do that room and the living room. We'll have time to pick flooring for that area. We're thinking a very white kitchen when we do update. Oh and all carpeting is going away except for the basement.

The bannisters will be sticking point. I rather like the design and I think we could refinish them fairly easy to match all the white trim we're planning.

I believe I mentioned, the sellers gave us a large concession check because they did not want to delay closing. One of the issues with the house was a piece of missing trim and the contractor we picked for the estimate assigned a premium because of outdoor seasonal work. Well we had the guy doing our drywall (also a contractor but specializes in interiors) take a glance and he said it looks like we can do the fix pretty quick for not much money at all. So we'll be tackling that next week. Most other exterior work is going to wait until spring.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A what?.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakesmith is actually 78 years old and this was when he bought a house in 1986

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

That's exactly what i paid for my house, a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

So now the video tour - I've done nothing with the carpets or paint (yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxyvUwnno6E

That's a very nice place you've got there. Nice and classy.

(I am midly concerned that you know for fact that 4 adults will fit in your bathtub and then you pan across to a shelf full of body lotion in dispensing bottles, but we all need a hobby, I guess)

spog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 24, 2018

• Locked thread