Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes you should because that's a lot of :words:

Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

That's different than saying "You're too poor to waste this limited resource (transplant organs) on. Come back when you're richer."

The bar is always going to be somewhere though. The super expensive individually tailored therapy stuff that costs like a million+ per treatment isn't considered worth funding from public money in my country in most cases, so it's essentially the same thing. I mean obviously the difference is that transplant medicine is relatively cheap in comparison. Ideally the cost cutoff is incredibly high, but even in completely government controlled healthcare not everyone can always get treatment.

e: My point is that there's always going to be someone where it seems like it's Pay or Die. All you can do is try to get the most people possible treated.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Skex posted:

Do y'all not get that the natural consequence of shifting the Overton window to the left is that people who were previously to the left of center end up on the right of the new center?

20 years ago Clinton was as far to the left as could get elected and I'm talking about Bill.

I have to admit that I was wrong about there not being any conservative leftists.

You are literally what happens when you mate the regidity of thinking of the authoritarian brain with leftist ideological framing. You are using the exact same twisted logic that leads anti-choice fanatics to blow up women's health clinics and murder doctors who perform abortions.

Replace murder babies with the victims of social injustice and you are making the exact same logic, you have identified what you consider an unacceptable injustice and determined who the perpetrators are and are actively dehumanizing them so that you can justify whatever is necessary to stop the injustice. Which I could almost understand, except that instead of targeting the obvious loving villains you are blaming the only people who are fighting back in any effective way.

Because in case you haven't noticed people aren't marching through the loving streets, and you can't even begin to claim that it's not because they don't loving know what's going on.

What the gently caress do you want us to do? Why are you telling me how privileged and awful I am rather than out there doing it?

Get some loving therapy because injustice has been a part of the human condition for as long as humans have been and the way that it is looking it will be that way for short amount of time we have left. And in the end we are all loving dead forgotten either way.

This isn't a just world it is just the world, I'm no loving god who can twitch my nose make world better anymore than you are.

If you follow your hosed up logic to it's natural conclusion, if centrists are no better than active intentional Nazis and the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi where does that logic go?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

someone tell the metric people we need a measurement smaller than planck lengths to describe how close skex got to getting it

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

That's different than saying "You're too poor to waste this limited resource (transplant organs) on. Come back when you're richer."

Well, it's saying "If you have the financial means to travel to US or Germany and pay for treatment out of pocket, go for it. Otherwise we aren't interested in using our limited resources (NHS funds) on you and your treatable illness."

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KingNastidon posted:

Well, it's saying "If you have the financial means to travel to US or Germany and pay for treatment out of pocket, go for it. Otherwise we aren't interested in using our limited resources (NHS funds) on you and your treatable illness."

This is a much more succinct way of saying what I was getting at. Incredibly expensive targeted therapies can't be handled by NHS analogues in countries because they can treat a thousand normal illnesses with the same money. So there's always going to be some form of the death panel in place whether it's obvious or not.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RandomBlue posted:

Driving drunk is a form of criminal intent, but thanks for playing.

Yeah and so are racist policies implemented to boost one's "bipartisan" appeal, thanks for playing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nurge posted:

The bar is always going to be somewhere though. The super expensive individually tailored therapy stuff that costs like a million+ per treatment isn't considered worth funding from public money in my country in most cases, so it's essentially the same thing. I mean obviously the difference is that transplant medicine is relatively cheap in comparison. Ideally the cost cutoff is incredibly high, but even in completely government controlled healthcare not everyone can always get treatment.

e: My point is that there's always going to be someone where it seems like it's Pay or Die. All you can do is try to get the most people possible treated.

My point is they are planning on giving that organ to somebody - it's not just gonna rot. It will just be somebody richer.

The bar definitely shouldn't be "we'll give a treatment to THIS person but not THAT person because THIS person can afford it." If you want to say "we can't give this treatment to anybody because it would use funds that need to go to this more important and cost-effective thing" that's a TOTALLY different ball game. I mean, you can twist it around to compare them, I guess, but they're fundamentally different.

KingNastidon posted:

That's still worlds different from saying "we will offer this specific treatment, but only to rich people."

e: And I know why they're doing it. They're making the call of "this poor person can't afford their meds to keep them alive after so they will probably die anyways and waste the organ." The root problem is that you have to pay for the drugs to keep you alive after the transplant and if you can't you just die. That poo poo won't happen in the NHS and comparing it to some super-experimental treatment for a rare disease is total bullshit.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2018

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nurge posted:

Everything in your post is true, but I think the US way of doing it is uniquely terrible and it's important to remember that. I'd be amazed if the UK, for example, refused to pay for immunosuppressives after a heart transplant. In most countries the bar is set according to "how can we save the most QALYs given our budget", but in the US it's set according to "how can we personally make the most money".

Basically, if someone needs $x to live, and x is small enough that e.g. a GoFundMe could even vaguely plausibly work, then in almost any situation imaginable the state should be picking up the tab.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I read the letter as more saying that they didn't believe the patient could ensure access to post transplant treatment and medication. And, like... they're not wrong? Transplant rejection isn't a fun way to die.

But who the hell can afford access to lung transplant surgery and not have access to post surgery treatment? I don't get it.

Edit: like i'm not going to look up the fee tables but IIRC the surgery would cost more than the medication even if the patient lived to be 110.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Everything in your post is true, but I think the US way of doing it is uniquely terrible and it's important to remember that. I'd be amazed if the UK, for example, refused to pay for immunosuppressives after a heart transplant. In most countries the bar is set according to "how can we save the most QALYs given our budget", but in the US it's set according to "how can we personally make the most money".

Basically, if someone needs $x to live, and x is small enough that e.g. a GoFundMe could even vaguely plausibly work, then in almost any situation imaginable the state should be picking up the tab.

Yeah definitely there's a huge difference in the amounts of money involved. Immunosuppressants are relatively speaking really cheap medicine.

I mainly wanted to point out that even with full NHS in place (I'm in Finland), they do a straight up analysis on the chance of success and the years of life extension you can expect and figure out if it's worth it to fund it if the cost is high enough. I mean it's cold as gently caress, but you have to have that evaluation at some level when the costs of treatment get really crazy.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 24, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tibalt posted:

I read the letter as more saying that they didn't believe the patient could ensure access to post transplant treatment and medication. And, like... they're not wrong? Transplant rejection isn't a fun way to die.

But who the hell can afford access to lung transplant surgery and not have access to post surgery treatment? I don't get it.

Edit: like i'm not going to look up the fee tables but IIRC the surgery would cost more than the medication even if the patient lived to be 110.

If you are on the list and an organ is available for you, you're getting that organ even if you can't pay. This was about getting on the list in the first place.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
So I had a thought recently that terrified me.

After Trump leaves office, there will be absolutely nothing preventing him from selling top secret information for personal profit. I mean he's already using the office of the president to enrich himself. So we can absolutely expect him to continue doing so, except this time without the constant spotlighting from the media.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

After Trump leaves office, there will be absolutely nothing preventing him from selling top secret information for personal profit. I mean he's already using the office of the president to enrich himself. So we can absolutely expect him to continue doing so, except this time without the constant spotlighting from the media.

Seems really dubious to me. There's nothing protecting him from getting hosed for treason once he's out of office, is there?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

This is kind of why a treason trial and criminal punishment is necessary, among other reasons. He's a giant threat to national security more so than W because he will just blurt out to anyone who pays him the bare amount of bribes and/or flattery from an IMPORTANT PERSON.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

enraged_camel posted:

I can't imagine the CIA would appreciate that very much. Look at what they did to JFK! :smug:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Tibalt posted:

An old friend of mine died a few years back. He had gotten a kidney transplant as a kid, and was doing fine. But then he lost his job and could no longer afford the meds, so he stopped taking them, at which point his body rejected the kidney, at which point he was too sick to find a job that might give him insurance. Because he was seen as having been neglectful, he didn't qualify for a new one, and was basically just left to die.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think part of it is that people are taking it to mean "go make a kickstarter, idk, bye" when they probably mean to contact one of the organized fundraising charities.

(part of it being strange about them only caring about paying that part, not a response to the post above mine)

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 24, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Nurge posted:

Seems really dubious to me. There's nothing protecting him from getting hosed for treason once he's out of office, is there?

As far as I know, there is no precedent for a past President to be tried for treason, especially not for something like this. And it's a line that no one is going to be willing to cross, for obvious reasons. Past Presidents enjoy what amounts to Saint Status. And on the off chance that he is caught red-handed, there is a 100% chance he would be pardoned by the sitting President (for which there is precedent).

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

As far as I know, there is no precedent for a past President to be tried for treason, especially not for something like this. And it's a line that no one is going to be willing to cross, for obvious reasons. Past Presidents enjoy what amounts to Saint Status. And on the off chance that he is caught red-handed, there is a 100% chance he would be pardoned by the sitting President.

Trump already killed decorum and beat it in the head for two years with a shovel to make sure. I'm not so sure any more.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

My point is they are planning on giving that organ to somebody - it's not just gonna rot. It will just be somebody richer.

The bar definitely shouldn't be "we'll give a treatment to THIS person but not THAT person because THIS person can afford it." If you want to say "we can't give this treatment to anybody because it would use funds that need to go to this more important and cost-effective thing" that's a TOTALLY different ball game. I mean, you can twist it around to compare them, I guess, but they're fundamentally different.

That's still worlds different from saying "we will offer this specific treatment, but only to rich people."

e: And I know why they're doing it. They're making the call of "this poor person can't afford their meds to keep them alive after so they will probably die anyways and waste the organ." The root problem is that you have to pay for the drugs to keep you alive after the transplant and if you can't you just die. That poo poo won't happen in the NHS and comparing it to some super-experimental treatment for a rare disease is total bullshit.

It's not a super experimental treatment for a rare disease. It cleared the clinical trial threshold just like any other therapy and NHL is the most common hematological malignancy. Although yes, Yescarta is currently limited to 3L+ DLBCL subset.

If a NHS system doesn't discriminate based on personal income, it will do so for other factors such as clinical biomarkers, age/fitness, etc to contain costs. There have been significant advances in the treatment of multiple myeloma over the past decade or so and many ex-US countries including the UK are still using thalidomide and other older generic drugs over clearly better novel therapies.

I agree the optics of this is still better than "sry you were a social worker instead of ibanker, no heart for you" but there is some truth to rationing / death panels and reduced R&D spend given reimbursement uncertainty.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I thought people were already doing that, that’s why there was such a fuss about people getting their clearance revoked

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Also as a general comment there really really needs to be a show at some point that presidents actually have to take responsibility for what they do, and also what they did while in office. I understand that there's some phantom immunity currently, but it's a really bad idea. The president is just a high level bureaucrat. He is responsible to the people. He should be.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nurge posted:

This is a little late, but it absolutely will. That's hundreds of millions of savings on fuel annually for the big companies. 10% is a crazy efficiency increase.

Read what I said again. They aren't a replacement for the propulsion plant which is what the OP suggested. They produce modest gains in very specfic circumstances, read the article: "Rotor sails are generally effective if the wind is moving faster than 18 kilometers per hour—roughly 10 knots—and is blowing across the ship’s bow at an angle of at least 20°. Ships often encounter such conditions on northern Pacific and northern Atlantic shipping routes, Riski says."

There are other wind technologies that promise similar things like this one: https://www.skysails.info/en/skysails-marine/skysails-propulsion-for-cargo-ships/

They aren't seeing widespread use or adoption either. This is because the wind doesn't blow the nessisary direction at the nessisary speed often enough to justify the changes in route nessisary. Hurf durf I got an engine efficency gain, gently caress me I didn't follow the great circle to do it. Also how do they fair in bad weather 50+ knot winds and heavy swells that break over deck. Also where can on put them that doesn't interfere with cargo operations?

If I start seeing them I'll let you all know. I have seen a single sky sail. Vessel reported they never used it.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 24, 2018

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Read what I said again. They aren't a replacement for the propulsion plant which is what the OP suggested. They produce modest gains in very specfic circumstances, read the article: "Rotor sails are generally effective if the wind is moving faster than 18 kilometers per hour—roughly 10 knots—and is blowing across the ship’s bow at an angle of at least 20°. Ships often encounter such conditions on northern Pacific and northern Atlantic shipping routes, Riski says."

There are other wind technologies that promise similar things like this one: https://www.skysails.info/en/skysails-marine/skysails-propulsion-for-cargo-ships/

They aren't seeing widespread use or adoption either. This is because the wind doesn't blow the nessisary direction at the nessisary speed often enough to justify the changes in route nessisary. Hurf durf I got an engine efficency gain, gently caress me I didn't follow the great circle to do it. Also how do they fair in bad weather 50+ knot winds and heavy swells that break over deck. Also where can on put them that doesn't interfere with cargo operations?

If I start seeing them I'll let you all know. I have seen a single sky sail. Vessel reported they never used it.

Yeah you're correct they are not a replacement. I'm sorry. I was wrong.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nurge posted:

Also as a general comment there really really needs to be a show at some point that presidents actually have to take responsibility for what they do, and also what they did while in office. I understand that there's some phantom immunity currently, but it's a really bad idea. The president is just a high level bureaucrat. He is responsible to the people. He should be.
The problem is that Trumpian lazy graft is like the least illegal thing anyone in the executive branch is doing at any given time.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lightning Knight posted:

I can't imagine the CIA would appreciate that very much. Look at what they did to JFK! :smug:

Helped cover up for that idiotic Secret Service guy that tripped and had his gun go off at the motocade...?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Eat all capitalists.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/11/study-over-20-years-silicon-valley-workers-median-wage-has-fallen-by-14/

quote:

Study: Over 20 years, Silicon Valley workers’ median wage has fallen by 14%

Over the last two decades, 90 percent of workers in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties—the heart of Silicon Valley—have seen their real wages go down, according to a new study by the University of California, Santa Cruz and the think tank Working Partnership USA.
"The median wage for workers in the Silicon Valley region declined by 14 percent," the research showed.

This drop in income comes at the same time that productivity in the United States is at record highs, the study found. Worse still, many costs are rising: notably Bay Area housing is increasingly unaffordable.

In short, most workers—:siren:regardless of whether they work in the tech sector or not:siren:—are getting poorer due to venture capital-driven business models that prioritize outlandish returns fueled by low-wage work that captures a given market quickly.

"If labor’s share of production in 2016 had been the same as in 2001, every employed Silicon Valley worker would have received, on average, an additional $8,480," the authors wrote.

That difference is being pocketed by investors and owners, the research concluded.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Dont eat bad meat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

Dont eat bad meat.

On the contrary, marbled meat is good meat.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

imo, saying poo poo like "we thank you for the opportunity to participate in your care" when you're telling someone you're gonna let them die unless they gofundme $10k out of the aether is just rubbing salt in the wound

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1066388743207043072

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Condiv posted:

imo, saying poo poo like "we thank you for the opportunity to participate in your care" when you're telling someone you're gonna let them die unless they gofundme $10k out of the aether is just rubbing salt in the wound

You should really bring this to local and national media. At least some major outlets would be interested in this story, I'd think.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1066094696282365952
2https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1065813206319296512
3https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1066343263777538048
4https://twitter.com/sam_vinograd/status/1066329049658736642
5https://twitter.com/rsulcas/status/1066304143311233024
6https://twitter.com/CityLab/status/1066391024627519488
7https://twitter.com/RWhelanWSJ/status/1066388856600023040
8https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1066391806710038529
9https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1066388007786229762
10https://twitter.com/szegedym/status/1066391161932271619
11https://twitter.com/ceciliakang/status/1066014343022694401
12https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1066379295482875904
13https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1066326566270054401
14https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1066170512554942465
15https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1066047070128230400
16https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1066350743026835462
17https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/1066382931889975297
18https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1066052211355066368
19https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1066207926078119936
20https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1066339144182493184
https://i.imgur.com/zQAERQ5.mp4

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zwabu posted:

You should really bring this to local and national media. At least some major outlets would be interested in this story, I'd think.

I've seen some tweets with the full personal information unobscured. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez reposted this with only the name showing, which might be the best way to help the lady involved.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Zwabu posted:

AOC tweeted about it.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1066351594843844608

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

An old friend of mine died a few years back. He had gotten a kidney transplant as a kid, and was doing fine. But then he lost his job and could no longer afford the meds, so he stopped taking them, at which point his body rejected the kidney, at which point he was too sick to find a job that might give him insurance. Because he was seen as having been neglectful, he didn't qualify for a new one, and was basically just left to die.

That's incredibly hosed up. I'm sorry about your friend. :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Crow Jane posted:

America, ladies and gentlemen!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NYTimes is bad and a waste :mad:

this is a decent and darkly hilarious article

fucker

I'm sure Bolsonaro will remedy this because you can't deforest places that have already been scythed clean of trees

this is a VERY good article, although i have some concerns that $50k a year will sound like a high enough number to some people that veteran Congressional aides shouldn't be whining

edited for grammar fuckup

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 24, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The first thing we need to do is control the runaway price of property. People are poor because they spend so much loving money putting a roof over their head. And it would only cost the wealthy hypothetical money, as opposed to actual money.

Cost of living in this country is ridiculous. Give people a choice between keeping a roof over their head or buying their medication, they'll pick the roof every time.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Zwabu posted:

If the person who received this letter started a GoFundMe or something the media would cover it as a feel good story like that story they did on the kid who was selling lemonade or something to pay for his service dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

If the person who received this letter started a GoFundMe or something the media would cover it as a feel good story like that story they did on the kid who was selling lemonade or something to pay for his service dog.

"Look at this kid's gumption! Ignore the six kids who died during this broadcast."