Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

if your HTML doesn’t represent hypertext documents where the semantics are straightforward and the styling is purely an aesthetic matter, then what you’re doing should not involve HTML, you should write a native app

The horse has bolted on this one, it turns out that nobody wants to download a native app any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
there were many things that drove people to make everything a webapp but one of them is that native apps are only really native on one platform. writing good crossplatform gui apps that actually look and feel native on the supported platforms is a pain in the rear end. javascript is bad but so is wxwidgets.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TheFluff posted:

there were many things that drove people to make everything a webapp but one of them is that native apps are only really native on one platform. writing good crossplatform gui apps that actually look and feel native on the supported platforms is a pain in the rear end. javascript is bad but so is wxwidgets.

Of course, web apps don't look or feel native either (they look and feel like rear end) so it isn't a very good reason

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Of course, web apps don't look or feel native either (they look and feel like rear end) so it isn't a very good reason

It's not so much looking native as looking decent, which for native apps means looking native but for web apps means something different.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
supporting one webapp is way easier than supporting multiple, platform-specific codebases

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it sucks that webkit is literally the closest thing to a good, actually-cross-platform environment to write a cross-platform app in, but when it's the best we've got it shouldn't be shocking that people use it

especially considering the rise of mobile

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Chalks posted:

It's not so much looking native as looking decent, which for native apps means looking native but for web apps means something different.

nobody has expected native apps to “look native” since like 1996, and none of the remaining popular desktop apps even bother to try. the most widely used set of native apps ever written, microsoft office, has used its own non-standard widget set that completely changes appearance with every major release for decades. and don’t even get me started on web browsers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got a TinyFPGA and I’m a bit janitor now

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got a TinyFPGA and I’m a bit janitor now

:toot:

i need to solder up my gps board and my sim board this weekend. p sure they all just communicate over i2c though so less bit janitoring involved

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I need to figure out how to get a UART working on the board so I can command my 4 digit display to say “poop”

i have an RS-232 cable and can loop back data but that’s as far as I’ve gotten lol

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

is there a definition of unsigned integer that i'm not aware of?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

GWBBQ posted:

it's all just ones and zeroes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GWBBQ posted:

I’m the unsigned integer scientific notation 4.29497 * 10^9

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

gonadic io posted:

it's all just ones and zeroes
as someone in the FO76 discord said, the game engine was invented before best practices were

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the thing about best practices is that "best" is relative. nobody said they were actually good

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
hahaha I do non-functional programming am I rite?!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Main Paineframe posted:

it sucks that webkit is literally the closest thing to a good, actually-cross-platform environment to write a cross-platform app in, but when it's the best we've got it shouldn't be shocking that people use it

especially considering the rise of mobile

p much this

html/css is far from perfect, but it's amazingly robust and can be shoehorned into a whole lot of use cases

for native cross-platform, my favorite is xamarin because i like c#, but even with that xaml is basically "xhtml but shittier"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

if your HTML doesn’t represent hypertext documents where the semantics are straightforward and the styling is purely an aesthetic matter, then what you’re doing should not involve HTML, you should write a native app

you keep saying this, but if it actually happened macOS would be even more useless

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

TheFluff posted:

does windows even have a native widget set anymore (that you’re supposed to use). I do actually install stuff from the windows App Store from time to time and it has all obviously been custom widgets or straight up electron

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

GWBBQ posted:

that's either typescript or actionscript 3 and either way your problem is that you're using javascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aardvaard posted:

that's either typescript or actionscript 3 and either way your problem is that you're using javascript

i thought actionscript was not really javascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c big data s: remember than "big data" problem we had over 60 gb of data? turns out everything was slow as molasses because our galaxy brain sysops silently degraded dwh to a hdd instead of ssd during one of their planned (text message at 10 pm if server can be shut down for 30 minutes, if you dont respond within 2 minutes it gets shut down) maintenance operations.

name's wait. io wait.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

calling a 60gb db a dwh makes me hurt in my buzzwords

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

actionscript and javascript are both eczemascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

calling a 60gb db a dwh makes me hurt in my buzzwords

dwh as a term speaks nothing of the amount of data, it's just a system for centralised storage of processed data from one or more sources, that is primarily used for analytics. and no, while our dwh is tiny 60gb is 1 staging area table from a new system we integrated recently, that is a postgres 8 era mess with documentation being 3 a4 pages in russian

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

dwh as a term speaks nothing of the amount of data, it's just a system for centralised storage of processed data from one or more sources, that is primarily used for analytics. and no, while our dwh is tiny 60gb is 1 staging area table from a new system we integrated recently, that is a postgres 8 era mess with documentation being 3 a4 pages in russian

oh cool i made a dwh in a s3 bucket

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

actionscript and javascript are both eczemascript

ah it went some weird transition in early 00s, i see

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh cool i made a dwh in a s3 bucket

yes you could use s3 for dwh storage, especially in an atomic dwh. that would be a chore to integrate into your bi process though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

do you confuse big data and data warehouse or something

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes you could use s3 for dwh storage, especially in an atomic dwh. that would be a chore to integrate into your bi process though

our bi process is a guy who runs athena queries

a month ago it was "lol we have no idea about anything" dont datashame

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

data whorehouse

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

our bi process is a guy who runs athena queries

a month ago it was "lol we have no idea about anything" dont datashame

:rip: although athena on surface level looks cool, i hadn’t seen that before. we use tableau now, before that i had to maintain an R web app with custom dashboards while every product had their own custom rolled analytics solution so each cross-department meaning would devolve into a big “our numbers vs your numbers” slap fight

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ENTERPRISE DATA MANAGEMENT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SINGLE SOURCE OF TRUTH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME OF THEIR NUMBERS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP OUR NUMBERS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S LONGEST SKYPE CALL WITH 25 PEOPLE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OPEN OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY INBOX LESS LONELY BY TYPING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

btw that skype bit isnt a joke, i learned that the conference call limit is 25 people when ceo began to kick bunch of people from one of the chats after he failed to call the entire chat at once

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ENTERPRISE DATA MANAGEMENT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SINGLE SOURCE OF TRUTH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME OF THEIR NUMBERS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP OUR NUMBERS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S LONGEST SKYPE CALL WITH 25 PEOPLE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OPEN OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY INBOX LESS LONELY BY TYPING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

lol

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

cinci zoo sniper posted:

powerful

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

cinci zoo sniper posted:

as3 is ecmascript 4, which was going to be The Next Javascript before everyone else decided it was too much of a change

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ENTERPRISE DATA MANAGEMENT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SINGLE SOURCE OF TRUTH. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME OF THEIR NUMBERS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP OUR NUMBERS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S LONGEST SKYPE CALL WITH 25 PEOPLE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OPEN OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY INBOX LESS LONELY BY TYPING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIft

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'll just do a little bit of heroin nodejs, I'm a strong-willed person, I'm just going to see what it's like then stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

having tried both opiates and server-side javascript i can verify from personal experience that only one of them is fun and it's not the javascript