Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The wolf is the warrior lodge martial trait, never seen the bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the "We won a siege battle", "we lost a siege battle", "we won a land battle", and "we lost a land battle" messages don't pause the game even if you set them to pause the game. Is this a known thing or has it just messed up with a patch? The ones that just say "Land battle ends" and "siege ends" pause as expected.

prussian advisor posted:

What are the icons with the bomb and the wolf (?) head on the left? I don’t think I’ve seen those before.

Way of the Leopard is the bomb, it's a commander trait you get from a Chinese tactician.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

prussian advisor posted:

What are the icons with the bomb and the wolf (?) head on the left? I don’t think I’ve seen those before.

The wolf is a warrior lodge trait. The bomb is one of the four Chinese traits your commanders can learn if you request the Chinese commander boon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

I lost an arm-wrestling competition against my daughter because I got distracted by her cleavage

OK, who bought Donald Trump an account?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

lmao i asked the pope for a coronation and he told me to wage an excommunication war on jerusalem, which i agreed to do cos why not, i outnumber them 5 to 1

this set off a christian defensive pact comprising most of christendom, including the pope himself

so now im fighting the papal doomstack, along with just about every catholic kingdom in the world, just to oust the queen of jerusalem, who i'm assuming was excommunicated for typically arbitrary reasons

i'm definitely going to murder the pope if i meet him in combat

edit: and now he just excommunicated me again, i am going to chop his loving balls off when i catch him

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 24, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You don't need Centralization, just tribal authority.

Yeah. And I forgot in my other post: Need to be Christan/Muslim (do any others work out of the box?) or have reformed your pagan religion

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the principle of defensive pacts, but it's too abstract, doesn't really interact right with any of the game's other systems, and doesn't really match up right with anything historical.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Weirdest play through right now. Byzantines took over West Francia, Moorish Spain is almost all Visigoths, and I'm the Jewish Queen of Judaic Ireland. Also England was almost entirely Jorvik until a massive rebellion happened and now they're just squeaking back into the picture. Also Scotland doesn't exist anymore.

My husband is a 50 year old Sunni commander so I'm going to try to get Ireland to be half Judaic and have Islamic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Midnight Voyager posted:

Apparently the "We won a siege battle", "we lost a siege battle", "we won a land battle", and "we lost a land battle" messages don't pause the game even if you set them to pause the game. Is this a known thing or has it just messed up with a patch? The ones that just say "Land battle ends" and "siege ends" pause as exexpect
If I'm thinking of the right thing, you need to set it to pause in the third column, not the first as you'd expect.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

so i did finally murder my way through all of christendom and depose the excommunicated queen of jerusalem

then, thinking, well gently caress, i worked for this coronation, let's pull out all the stops and spend 600 gold on it, even if it does send me into debt for a while, it's all good

and then:

:negative:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^edit: Whoa, the game is loving you over big time

Azhais posted:

Yeah. And I forgot in my other post: Need to be Christan/Muslim (do any others work out of the box?) or have reformed your pagan religion

Every religion is fine, except unreformed pagans. If you're pagan, you need to switch religions or reform your faith. Non-pagans are Christians, Muslims, Jews, Zoroastrians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Taoists. As well as all their heresies (if they have any).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TomViolence posted:

so i did finally murder my way through all of christendom and depose the excommunicated queen of jerusalem

then, thinking, well gently caress, i worked for this coronation, let's pull out all the stops and spend 600 gold on it, even if it does send me into debt for a while, it's all good

and then:

:owned:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So I did sort of manage my goal as Byzantium? On like Run 3 as the Macedonians.

Basil & Leo the Wise actually lasted 20-30 years and as a result I had essentially restored Justinians Empire minus Italy. Then there was a couple of Leo's sons who conquered Italy, but died young and another who started tearing into Ummayad Spain from Africa.

Finally get Italy under control, kick the pope out and reform Rome. Go Hellenic beat back the revolts because Orthodoxy tanked a bunch of other religions popped out of the woodwork too so the Empire is this hosed up mesh of Muslims, Christians (Catholics, Orthodox, Miaphysites, Iconoclasts), Jews and then naturally the royal family and most of the Exarchs. I was bored and decided to leave most of the counts and dukes whatever religion they were.

The next four Emperors all die in battle against the Karlings and Umayyads. The main line extinguished what's left was a bastard son governor of Baetica. The Empire now is unstoppable, but is in a perpetual state of civil war... the black death rolled in killed most people and its been about a century since I could get on the throne. Kinda burned out now, but at least I got the "Reform Hellenic" achievement even if I didn't get SPQR.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get legacy of the indo norse?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have a problem:

I have too many duchies and holdings so my council hates me and everyone is malcontent.
Malcontents always vote against you.
I can't give away duchies and holdings because everyone on my council votes no.

Is it possible to solve somehow?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You shouldn't need council approval to give away titles. Right click a kinsman and select "grant landed title" or something like that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gonna echo the sentiment from some pages back that West Africa is a really chill place to start. The Elder law gives you a ton of nice events as long as you are on good terms with your elders, so you can focus on making a "nice" character instead of just brutally repressing your subjects all the time.

Edit: Also, the holy sites are all pretty close, so you can reform relatively quickly if you so desire.

Edit2: Oh, and Mali is probably the easiest empire title in the game to create.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 24, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

I'm Irish so therefor catholic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TjyvTompa posted:

I have a problem:

I have too many duchies and holdings so my council hates me and everyone is malcontent.
Malcontents always vote against you.
I can't give away duchies and holdings because everyone on my council votes no.

Is it possible to solve somehow?

You don't actually need your council's approval to give out titles. You can just unilaterally do it by clicking through to give it away, they'll just be mad about it and you'll get a Tyranny malus.

Either just ram them through over the objections of the council and hope the gains from losing your holdings malus override the malus from tyranny, or fire your council and replace them with people who aren't discontent. IIRC unlanded courtiers don't give a poo poo about how many holdings you have so they shouldn't have the "too many held [x]" malus.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You shouldn't need council approval to give away titles. Right click a kinsman and select "grant landed title" or something like that.

There is a council setting that requires you to get their approval to give away titles. One of the first ones you should clean up if possible, but while you're still tribal you're locked into it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How do I do anything with the gold mines? Doesn't seem like I can build a tradepost or anything on them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Avalerion posted:

How do I do anything with the gold mines? Doesn't seem like I can build a tradepost or anything on them.

You need to get the trade practices tech up. Technically everybody starts with a limit of 4, but 0 trade practices gives you a -99% to trade post limit, so you effectively start with a limit of zero. Once you get the tech up one or two levels you'll be able to build on the gold mines.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

binge crotching posted:

There is a council setting that requires you to get their approval to give away titles. One of the first ones you should clean up if possible, but while you're still tribal you're locked into it.

Also that law only exists if you have the Conclave DLC. If your council already hates you, and you don't want the tyranny penalty, fire three of them and put three loyalists or cheaply-bribed nobodies on there.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

I think we are going places

And died in a stupid duel against some low-level merc without accomplishing anything. Doesn't really matter since I accomplished my current main goal of breeding all the historical bloodlines I had acquired into one char.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Aaaaaactually if you get your tribal organization to max you can roll back every single one of the council powers without going feudal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Gonna echo the sentiment from some pages back that West Africa is a really chill place to start. The Elder law gives you a ton of nice events as long as you are on good terms with your elders, so you can focus on making a "nice" character instead of just brutally repressing your subjects all the time.

Edit: Also, the holy sites are all pretty close, so you can reform relatively quickly if you so desire.

Edit2: Oh, and Mali is probably the easiest empire title in the game to create.

Easier than Scandinavia 769?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jedit posted:

Easier than Scandinavia 769?

I'd say yes, because you don't have to deal with Gavelkind at all.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Jack2142 posted:

So I did sort of manage my goal as Byzantium? On like Run 3 as the Macedonians.

Basil & Leo the Wise actually lasted 20-30 years and as a result I had essentially restored Justinians Empire minus Italy. Then there was a couple of Leo's sons who conquered Italy, but died young and another who started tearing into Ummayad Spain from Africa.

Finally get Italy under control, kick the pope out and reform Rome. Go Hellenic beat back the revolts because Orthodoxy tanked a bunch of other religions popped out of the woodwork too so the Empire is this hosed up mesh of Muslims, Christians (Catholics, Orthodox, Miaphysites, Iconoclasts), Jews and then naturally the royal family and most of the Exarchs. I was bored and decided to leave most of the counts and dukes whatever religion they were.

The next four Emperors all die in battle against the Karlings and Umayyads. The main line extinguished what's left was a bastard son governor of Baetica. The Empire now is unstoppable, but is in a perpetual state of civil war... the black death rolled in killed most people and its been about a century since I could get on the throne. Kinda burned out now, but at least I got the "Reform Hellenic" achievement even if I didn't get SPQR.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get legacy of the indo norse?

The indo what

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Also, it makes me sad for some reason that the Basques and Vlach were put into the Iberian and South Slavic culture groups respectively. I liked them being weird little culture isolates, would've been neat to see them get their own fleshed out group and unique culture buildings and quirks like the Basques having absolute cognatic.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I've had a very successful Byzantium Hellenic run so far, I'm Jersualem away from reforming Rome (but am probably going to wait one more ruler because if my current lady ruler does it, the bloodline will be lost the second a male heir gains the throne, as he can't pass it on unless it's a matrilineal marriage). Great Holy Wars have allowed me to add Germany and Burgundy to my realm.

Going Hellenic as Byzantium is surprisingly easy, all you need to do is take Rome (which you can do pretty easily) and Alexandria (again, you're Byzantium, it's easy) and then regardless of the fact that Hellenic will have zero moral authority you can reform, which will give you decent moral authority, and as a reformed faith all you need to do is hand out your viceroyal duchies and you can almost always say "oh hey by the way, have you heard the word of Jupiter?" and your vassals will convert.

Orthodox's moral authority will implode because of Rulers Led Astray and the loss of a good chunk of their held holy sites and if you keep up on your dukes your realm will start imploding.

Your chief threat will be that going Pagan will immediately cause Catholicism to :stare: and activate Crusades, the first of which will come for Greece.

Then you get what happened to me while as the Crusade is on going the Children's Crusade immediately fires and is won by a Karling who immediately sends his 100,000 attrition-free event troops to attack you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'd say yes, because you don't have to deal with Gavelkind at all.

Look here at the man who plays from the Charlie start as Scandinavia and doesn't form a Merchant Republic.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I want to reform the Slavic faith as Rurikid but the holy sites are so far away :(

Playing as a pagan lodge member is a lot of fun tho

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought I was going to make a Merch Republic on my charlie Ireland game, but now I've got a nearly fully upgraded tribe, I've already snagged a castle in Wales, and I've been really enjoying the Jade Dragon CBs and Papal claiming, and I really don't relish having to build up a manor from scratch in poorsville Britain. They only way I've been able to get any money together is raiding, and there's none of that after giving up tribalism.

I've kinda dragged my heels on doing another republic game. My gut instinct is that it might not scale well, and I'm not really into retinues (never really understand most things about troop compositions).

TomViolence posted:

and then:

What are you doing consorting with Popes as the Byzantine emperor? You could have a nice subservient patriarch for that.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sydin posted:

You don't actually need your council's approval to give out titles. You can just unilaterally do it by clicking through to give it away, they'll just be mad about it and you'll get a Tyranny malus.

Either just ram them through over the objections of the council and hope the gains from losing your holdings malus override the malus from tyranny, or fire your council and replace them with people who aren't discontent. IIRC unlanded courtiers don't give a poo poo about how many holdings you have so they shouldn't have the "too many held [x]" malus.

Thank you, I solved it by finding those on my council I could give titles to to make them vote yes to the other title-givings. Saved me real quick!

Have a screenshot of this crazy adventurer:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The tyranny malus often doesn't apply if you're giving a title to someone who doesn't already have one and isn't a member of your dynasty.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Man, this really should give you some kind of bloodline.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Man, this really should give you some kind of bloodline.

I think you get one if you conquer China. At least I assume that's what the Dragon King one is. On a somewhat related note, I tried attacking the western protectorate and they dropped 170k event troops on my head lol.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there some sort of updated guide to the game that isnt a huge youtube series. im going off what i half remember from my last try, 6 years ago, and all my vassals keep revolting even if i squash all plots i find and i can't even conquer ireland

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

I think you get one if you conquer China. At least I assume that's what the Dragon King one is. On a somewhat related note, I tried attacking the western protectorate and they dropped 170k event troops on my head lol.

There's an imperial Chinese bloodline in the files with the Alexander and Ashoka ones, among other things, so yeah, there's definitely something there. Not quite sure how to get it though.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can you do a random shattered world combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Banana Man posted:

Can you do a random shattered world combined

Yeah, you'd just set the generator to have no duchies, kingdoms, or empires at start I would assume.