Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eh, I feel the same way. I like everything about splatoon except actually playing it. So I don’t. And I can’t sell it because it’s digital.

I play Fortnite and Paladins on the reg, so I think it just boils down to what you’re looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

The Merkinman posted:

I know about the Nintendo tax and all, but isn't it a bit much that the (slightly updated) port of Katamari Damacy costs 50% more than when it was first released 14 years ago?

14 years ago was a very different time. The horrors of 9/11 were fresh in everyone's mind. Green Day's American Idiot was burning up the charts. And Katamari Damacy was just twenty dollars.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love playing Splatoon but I see the point about not wanting to learn another shooter when you still play another. It’s my multiplayer shooter series of choice and I have a hard time getting into any other now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lazlo Nibble posted:

It was not. It launched in the US at $19.99.

Woah, really? I didn't even know a cheaper tier of game existed back then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love playing Splatoon but I see the point about not wanting to learn another shooter when you still play another. It’s my multiplayer shooter series of choice and I have a hard time getting into any other now.

Yeah. Warframe looks cool and I've tried it but it's just a touch too different. I'll probably keep at it a bit longer but Splatoon is just better for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can appreciate Splatoon for what it is, but I had a really hard time getting into it too. One thing that was really off putting about it too me is that I wanted to play it mostly portable and found the gyro controls to only be good docked. it's very polished I just always have other shooters on other platforms I'd rather play.

Andrast posted:

Into the breach is indeed very good

Ah yeah, that's it. I gotta grab that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

$10 more than it's original launch price is weak but it's in HD now, has more control options, is portable, and all the sequels were more expensive so :shrug:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

I know about the Nintendo tax and all, but isn't it a bit much that the (slightly updated) port of Katamari Damacy costs 50% more than when it was first released 14 years ago?

Friend, you can’t put a price on having katamari, the worlds greatest ball of poo poo game on the worlds greatest console.

Day one purchase for me. When all y’all are smashing, I’ll be rolling things up.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Reading the Wikipedia article for that game is reading a series of near misses for us living in a universe where we never got to play Katamari Damacy. It is only by the barest margin of luck that we know of this delightful game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Game prices didnt really all become uniform until a few years later

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wish the digital version of Smash didn't cost noticeably more than a physical copy, having to pay £10 extra for the privilege of not having to slot in a cartridge every time I want to play it is annoying.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I kinda remember Katamari as the first game by a major publisher to have come out to not have been a $50 game at release. It kinda blew my mind at the time. I bought a copy and I didn't even own a PS2.

I can't complain about $30 price tag since I spent a little more for the soundtrack on vinyl a couple months ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Starsnostars posted:

I wish the digital version of Smash didn't cost noticeably more than a physical copy, having to pay £10 extra for the privilege of not having to slot in a cartridge every time I want to play it is annoying.

Yeah, it’s really dumb and makes no sense. Digital games should always be cheaper.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
They're doing another Atelier game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQqbhvfRLkU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

tons of games got released as budget titles in the 20-30 range in the PS2 era, although KD is more notable than a lot of them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just remembered every game launching at around the same price in the PS1-PS2 era, and it being that way until digital storefronts became a thing. Guess I remembered wrong.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I remember reviewers hating Katamari's graphics back in the day, and I want to say that at least one magazine said that it deserved to be alongside bargain bin PS1 titles, since it looked and played like one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I remember reviewers hating Katamari's graphics back in the day, and I want to say that at least one magazine said that it deserved to be alongside bargain bin PS1 titles, since it looked and played like one.

Nintendo Power got really sassy during the GameCube era.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I don't understand how the scoring works in Gal Metal at all, or how anyone on earth could possibly keep to a rhythm while switching between hands, but somehow I'm passing every level easily

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Takoluka posted:

Game reviews of cult games are always the best most wrong things.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

veni veni veni posted:

I just remembered every game launching at around the same price in the PS1-PS2 era, and it being that way until digital storefronts became a thing. Guess I remembered wrong.

Certain games on SNES were more expensive due to cartridge costs (I think Chrono Trigger was notably pricey at launch), and I remember that continuing for a bit into the PS1 era despite the move to CDs. The PS1 greatest hits collection was a big deal when it was first announced too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Friend, you can’t put a price on having katamari, the worlds greatest ball of poo poo game on the worlds greatest console.

They’re porting it to the Dreamcast too???

For any Canadians eyeing a Switch this weekend Wal-Mart has a decent deal on Monday. $399 CAD for a Switch, Pokemon Let’s Go and a $50 eShop card. Better than any of the Black Friday deals at least.

https://www.redflagdeals.com/flyers/walmart/cyber-monday-sale-nov-26-to-nov-29-2018-126140/

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Was craving an rpg title and noticed Disgaea 5 was on sale. This game feels like it is incrediblyComplex systems-wise and I’m super early on.

Katamari is one of the best game series ever and I am happy to buy the game again

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Starsnostars posted:

Hey now.

Let's not forget about the £3 in SD space it also takes up.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Was the original katamari ever released in hd? I dont think it was. Odd that the only HD rerelease is on the switch and nothing else :thunk:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It got a digial PS2 Classic release on PS3, but those releases never got proper HD remastering.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kashuno posted:

Was craving an rpg title and noticed Disgaea 5 was on sale. This game feels like it is incrediblyComplex systems-wise and I’m super early on.

Katamari is one of the best game series ever and I am happy to buy the game again

Man, I've always felt like D5 would scratch that SRPG itch in a slick and polished package but...I just can't get past the art/excessive campiness. I want a FF tactics fix, damnit

Ah well, I hear into the breach is good, and VC seems to overall have a slightly more chill/consistent vibe. We're supposed to eventually get a fire emblem on this thing too, yeah?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

We're supposed to eventually get a fire emblem on this thing too, yeah?

next year

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE loving MOON posted:

Was the original katamari ever released in hd? I dont think it was. Odd that the only HD rerelease is on the switch and nothing else :thunk:

It’s coming to PC too.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how the scoring works in Gal Metal at all, or how anyone on earth could possibly keep to a rhythm while switching between hands, but somehow I'm passing every level easily

Do not under any circumstances use the motion controls in Gal Metal. Use touch screen controls if at all possible, buttons only if you absolutely have to play docked, but never motion controls. Why they made the absolute worst control scheme the default is beyond me, but it's so bad and the game doesn't even mention that you can change to something better

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s coming to PC too.

Ah okay. Still strange theres no ps port

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

KingSlime posted:

Man, I've always felt like D5 would scratch that SRPG itch in a slick and polished package but...I just can't get past the art/excessive campiness. I want a FF tactics fix, damnit

Ah well, I hear into the breach is good, and VC seems to overall have a slightly more chill/consistent vibe. We're supposed to eventually get a fire emblem on this thing too, yeah?

There was a Mercenaries game that just came out that looked pretty FFTish.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

KingSlime posted:

You can skip every bit of story and dialogue, which is what i do. Nothing to do about the art though but if you can get past it the game has a lot of depth. Lots of times ive started it planning to play a few maps but end up tweaking and customizing units for an hour. Really wish my super defender heavy armor knight could wear pants though...

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
IIRC the US release of Katamari Damacy was seen as kind of a crapshoot at the time, so they hedged their bets with a low price. They know it’s not a crapshoot now, and probably could have gotten away with a bigger bump than just $10 (which is more like $3.50 once you take inflation into account).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This will actually be the first official release for the game in Europe, even the emulated PS3 digital version never came out here.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

IIRC the US release of Katamari Damacy was seen as kind of a crapshoot at the time, so they hedged their bets with a low price. They know it’s not a crapshoot now, and probably could have gotten away with a bigger bump than just $10 (which is more like $3.50 once you take inflation into account).

$7.47 according to this highly reputable and indisputably accurate inflation calculator!

http://www.in2013dollars.com/2018-dollars-in-2004?amount=10

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RandomFerret posted:

Do not under any circumstances use the motion controls in Gal Metal. Use touch screen controls if at all possible, buttons only if you absolutely have to play docked, but never motion controls. Why they made the absolute worst control scheme the default is beyond me, but it's so bad and the game doesn't even mention that you can change to something better

Oh wow, why isn't touch the basic control scheme? I don't know what to do with all these drums!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

SeANMcBAY posted:

Game reviews of cult games are always the best most wrong things.

Deadly Premonition, baby!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mons Hubris posted:

Deadly Premonition, baby!

Yup. Earthbound is another good example if you feel like getting angry.:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦