Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

NYTimes is bad and a waste :mad:

this is a decent and darkly hilarious article

fucker

I'm sure Bolsonaro will remedy this because you can't deforest places that have already been scythed clean of trees

this is a VERY good article, although i have some concerns that $50k a year sounds like a high enough number that veteran Congressional aides shouldn't be whining

50к in DC is like 30k in the rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas Massacre posted:

This really reads as you telling a trans person and by extension other minorities to shut up and deal with it fyi

I'm late, but this has been the sum of Skex's arguments for a while, it was just a little more explicit this time than usual.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I don’t know why, whenever UHC comes up, multiple posters have to point out that UHC is a different kind of rationing. No poo poo, we all know that. Rationing healthcare based on who can pay for it is the second worst way to distribute healthcare behind literal racist distribution. Maybe there are other examples of lovely rationing systems, but virtually any other system is better than the status quo in the US.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MickeyFinn posted:

I don’t know why, whenever UHC comes up, multiple posters have to point out that UHC is a different kind of rationing. No poo poo, we all know that. Rationing healthcare based on who can pay for it is the second worst way to distribute healthcare behind literal racist distribution. Maybe there are other examples of lovely rationing systems, but virtually any other system is better than the status quo in the US.

I understand that the US system is the literal worst. I just wanted to point out that there's always going to be some cutoffs on what services are available since with modern breakthroughs there are possible insanely expensive treatments for super rare things. Nationally funded healthcare is still obviously a billion times better. I didn't want to argue against that at all.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

50k in dc qualifies you for low income preschool, pretty sure

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah and so are racist policies implemented to boost one's "bipartisan" appeal, thanks for playing.

I was only talking about that rather dumb example that was posted about drunk driving. I agree with your statement here.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

you know aoc was behind in the polling until she won her primary right?

guess she should've just been forced out of the race by the party cause crowley was gonna win
And yet, she didnt get told to leave. Almost like it only happens to people who both have literally no chance, and actively want to fuel division in the party.

So we've got one person who never had a chance whatsoever of winning the primary because the voters didn't like him. That is seriously your smoking gun for Dems rigging the primaries.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

Because discussing the obvious issues of US healthcare policy with generally like-minded folks is boring and repetitive and it's more interesting/challenging to talk about various implementations and their limitations. It's not like those limitations won't be front-and-center in the future and it's probably more helpful to think about effective ways to counter those arguments other then calling people racist neoliberal capitalist fascists or whatever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ardennes posted:

50к in DC is like 30k in the rest of the country.

i totally failed to convey what i was trying to say, i agree wholeheartedly but we've had the merry-go-round before of "50k? they should be totally fine!"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
AAAARGH Our nation is a landslide in slow motion for everybody to see like a Sir David Attenbourgh nature special.

E- everybody checks to see if he's been knighted, and yes. :colbert:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 24, 2018

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KickerOfMice posted:

AAAARGH Our nation is a landslide in slow motion for everybody to see like a Sir David Attenbourgh nature special.

Real people already knew.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

Real people already knew.

I don't get it.

E- I assume that's some kind of personal stab, but idgi.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 24, 2018

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i totally failed to convey what i was trying to say, i agree wholeheartedly but we've had the merry-go-round before of "50k? they should be totally fine!"

Honestly I just think it is another sign of the spokes flying off.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

KingNastidon posted:

Because discussing the obvious issues of US healthcare policy with generally like-minded folks is boring and repetitive and it's more interesting/challenging to talk about various implementations and their limitations. It's not like those limitations won't be front-and-center in the future and it's probably more helpful to think about effective ways to counter those arguments other then calling people racist neoliberal capitalist fascists or whatever.

At the risk of engaging far too much in a meta-discussion. I haven’t seen a debate on how to ration care since gul banana’s thread a long, long time ago. It’s possible I missed the plot in the current discussion, but I’d love to see people with insight discuss metrics for distributing care or organizational principles for UHC. D&D shines when people with detailed knowledge D&D a topic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nurge posted:

I understand that the US system is the literal worst. I just wanted to point out that there's always going to be some cutoffs on what services are available since with modern breakthroughs there are possible insanely expensive treatments for super rare things. Nationally funded healthcare is still obviously a billion times better. I didn't want to argue against that at all.

KingNastidon posted:

When you bring it up every single time someone mentions UHC it comes across as concern trolling at best

Kale
May 14, 2010

Person Dyslexic posted:

I was going to post the same drat thing except less eloquently, so thanks.

There is a serious creep vibe running through some of the AOC comments here.

The internet always has a way of taking something that should be a huge boon for a given collective and cheapening and memeing it into the ground. Let's see what happens with AOC going forward, but yeah there's a difference between showing support and being over the top weird about a popular politician.

Is there some particular history behind this quote? I see this twitter post from 4 years ago not only quoted but taken and posted as a direct response to things all the time in this thread.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 24, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

The internet always has a way of taking something that should be a huge boon for a given collective and cheapening and memeing it into the ground. Let's see what happens with AOC going forward, but yeah there's a difference between showing support and being over the top weird about a popular politician.

I knew I always reluctantly :h: you for a reason, Kale.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When you bring it up every single time someone mentions UHC it comes across as concern trolling at best

I do want to point out it's the first time I've ever commented on healthcare. Either way I didn't mean to seem like I was against UHC at all. Just noting that it's not the perfect panacea. Just a better option.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't see any reason why congressional staffers shouldn't make at least the national median wage.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kale posted:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1066374509220032514?s=19

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fulchrum posted:

And yet, she didnt get told to leave. Almost like it only happens to people who both have literally no chance, and actively want to fuel division in the party.

So we've got one person who never had a chance whatsoever of winning the primary because the voters didn't like him. That is seriously your smoking gun for Dems rigging the primaries.
It's not really up to the DCCC et al to decide in advance who is going to win the primary or who has the best chance in the general. Like that's the whole point of this discussion. Absent outside interference, the person who wins the primary is usually going to be the person most likely to win the general. It's not just about kneecapping leftists - and in fact in this case it isn't that at all because Tillemann isn't particularly leftist - it's about weakening the party's electoral success in favor of candidates who are more likely to play the grift game.

And FYI Hoyer didn't say "we're doing this as a one-off, actually, because you in particular suck" and Pelosi didn't defend him by stating that usually this would be wrong, but we're doing it this one time anyway because reasons. They both made it pretty clear that this sort of thing happens all the time, and should happen all the time, so you can take this line of argument and blow it out your rear end.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 24, 2018

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

KickerOfMice posted:

He was knighted when I was a few months old, 33 years ago, and I don't think I've ever heard him introduced without the "Sir" being used

Kale
May 14, 2010

I mean she's basically the new Bernie Sanders at this point but with even greater potential for the progressive movement. She not only talks the talk, but looks the part too which IS important for a lot of potential voters. Even if they share a lot of views, he's still an old white man which is basically the look of the capitalist establishment and could make a difference in a get out the vote kind of election. It's something I have been considering, like she basically has all the pieces and more that Obama did in 2008 and lots of time to run for higher and higher offices. She would need a PAC though I think, that's the only thing she's missing that Obama had for his senate and later Presidential runs.

Where AOC's importance lies for me right now is her ability to seize the twitter narrative from Trump, something no other politician of either party has been able to do. Right now she's arguably better at it, which is massive.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I hope Jared Blue is okay and protected from all those baby-chuds.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Hopefully colleges will still reject them

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hey, they're just showing off their German heritage, after all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1066380766173634562?s=19

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1066390059497254913?s=19

This person fuckin sucks rear end

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What do you think republicans, centrist dems, and anyone that currently benefits from the status quo will say when the time comes? I know everyone will just point to the current polling of M4A and say it doesn't matter, but an actual proposal/budget has yet to be developed and counter-messaged against, no? What will be your argument to convince people on Medicare or soon to be on Medicare that potentially life saving procedures or therapies won't be developed or commercially available (similar to NICE/NHS) to contain aggregate spend? They are currently available in the US under the status quo.

Probably "nationalize them." So now we're not just aiming for M4A or single payer in the near-term, but publicly owned healthcare providers to have better control over R&D priorities and pricing. And a lot of these firms are internationally owned, so we better convince them too.

I'm certainly "trolling" or at least playing devil's advocate to some extent, but immediate change to ~20% of our economy and secondary impacts ex-US will face significant resistance. Better to be buttoned up on the talking points to convince the majority than only talk amongst the fairly narrow slice of the electorate/power structure D&D represents.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Google Butt posted:

They're extremely loving easy to get a rise out of too before they block you, and they have extremely questionable opinions about gender roles.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

He was knighted when I was a few months old, 33 years ago, and I don't think I've ever heard him introduced without the "Sir" being used

Dude is an amazing communicator of science, he deserves the award, however silly it may be. His sword is knowledge of creatures!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 24, 2018

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

“This minutia that most readers won’t know or care about is more important than the overall message that the American health care system needs to be reformed.”

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People rag on the south but the midwest seems to be the land of the nazis with institutional support as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Radish posted:

People rag on the south but the midwest seems to be the land of the nazis with institutional support as well.

They're both garbage, to be sure.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Radish posted:

Friendly reminder that the real seat of power for the KKK in the 1930s was Indiana.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Google Butt posted:

I think the combination of text and that unsettling avatar make it worse.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

President of the United States is openly arguing with SCOTUS Chief Justice on Twitter.

Kill me now.

The absolute Best Part is that Trump was correct. The Chief Justice works for him, is on his team, and there are teams.

Ardennes posted:

The bombs were in all honesty probably more about finishing the war and providing a demonstration project against the Soviets than anything else. The US didn't want to have to go through Operation Olympic and the Soviets were moving very quickly in August 1945. The US needed to both decisively end the war, cut off Soviet movements, and show the Soviets they just didn't have the bomb but multiple ones.

At no point did the US need to do any of that and the fact they did indicates Truman was evil enough to go with Unthinkable had Churchill won elections or put them off.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

“This minutia that most readers won’t know or care about is more important than the overall message that the American health care system needs to be reformed.”

The funniest part is it's a distinction without a difference. Spectrum Health is vertically integrated and has 800k people enrolled in insurance plans, it's fairly likely that she's one of them.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Radish posted:

The way I see it the south gets at least some Latino and African American voters that can help to elect at least some progressive state, governor's office and representative positions even if they can't quite get ones that require a whole states vote. The midwest just has stayed white bred as gently caress all these decades and their votes count disproportionately due to low populations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

The Midwest is the South with bad cooking.