Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xalidur posted:

I'm sure I'll get sick of it myself in time given the general community vibe, but as a returning player who really likes roguelikes, PotD is amazing to me and it's just a crazy thing to have in a game like this. Honeymoon phase is for real. I really question my life decisions with respect to not playing this game since like 2013 but resubscribing to WoW repeatedly.

PotD is good, it's just that everyone here did it a billion times spamming easy floors and probably 95% off those with computer strangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If you go above floor 100 it retains the roguelike vibe but otherwise people just use it for leveling and just want to clear it as fast as possible.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

i want shinryu's greatsword-- how hard is it to learn shinryu ex as someone who has never participated in current ex or savage content? tank perspective, if that matters.

There's more mechanics in Ex versions of things that are more punishing if done incorrectly, which can take some getting used to if you haven't stepped into the more difficult endgame fights yet. I'd say Shin ex is the hardest of the SB primals, but ilvl inflation will probably help ease that a lot. I haven't been in there in a while, but most groups are probably going to be skipping a lot of the back-half of the first and final phases due to increased dps these days. Tanks have a bunch of specific things to look out for. The big ones in first phase are going to be knowing how to handle the tank busters (either stack with co-tank or one takes it to invuln thru it), and knowing where to drop the tail marker. Add phase, pick up adds and bring them to safe spots for the party to dps them when aoes go out. For final phase, make sure you have anticipation on your bar bc the tankbusters here auto-crit and can kill you without it, and require a tank swap. Final phase also has a mechanic where the party has to spread out in pairs, so be sure to know where you will be running and who your dps partner will be.

Those are the big things to keep in mind, I think. Take a look at a video guide to get an idea of how it looks when you get in there. Honestly, I think tanking that fight is really fun, so I'm sure you'll have a good time with it once you learn it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there ever really a reason to cast Adloquium other than if you're using Deployment Tactics?

edit: I guess maybe before a tank-buster or something?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fell in love with this coat from Great Gubal Library, cannot think of a single black mage staff that goes with it. Any suggestions?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Is there ever really a reason to cast Adloquium other than if you're using Deployment Tactics?

Adloquium has more total potency than physick if you count the shield component. Like if your tank is getting continuously chunked ad is going to be more effective at keeping up its health than just spamming physick

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Fell in love with this coat from Great Gubal Library, cannot think of a single black mage staff that goes with it. Any suggestions?

The low level ones that just look like walking sticks are pretty jaunty, that’s what I went with.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

adlo has greater healing potency per second when counting the shield, which allows you to CAST MORE BROILS

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

y'all i've been leveling a whm on the side and

i know low level dungeons are easy but

i have fuckin NO CLUE how anyone could honest heal their way through this video game. later dungeons, maybe, everything hits way harder, but i don't know who could fuckin level up a healer in a level 30 dungeon doing literally nothing but heal and think "yes this is normal and isn't brain damagingly boring at all"

i swear some fights i get away without healing a single iota

Mad Science posted:

There's more mechanics in Ex versions of things that are more punishing if done incorrectly, which can take some getting used to if you haven't stepped into the more difficult endgame fights yet. I'd say Shin ex is the hardest of the SB primals, but ilvl inflation will probably help ease that a lot. I haven't been in there in a while, but most groups are probably going to be skipping a lot of the back-half of the first and final phases due to increased dps these days. Tanks have a bunch of specific things to look out for. The big ones in first phase are going to be knowing how to handle the tank busters (either stack with co-tank or one takes it to invuln thru it), and knowing where to drop the tail marker. Add phase, pick up adds and bring them to safe spots for the party to dps them when aoes go out. For final phase, make sure you have anticipation on your bar bc the tankbusters here auto-crit and can kill you without it, and require a tank swap. Final phase also has a mechanic where the party has to spread out in pairs, so be sure to know where you will be running and who your dps partner will be.

Those are the big things to keep in mind, I think. Take a look at a video guide to get an idea of how it looks when you get in there. Honestly, I think tanking that fight is really fun, so I'm sure you'll have a good time with it once you learn it.

thanks! i'll see if i can't harass some friends or guildies into accompanying me so i feel less like i'm dragging down randos who know what they're doing

i want tha tSWORD

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

“I started dating him,” she said, pointing to Zash. The two are now engaged to be married, though Zash admits he has had to make the hard sell for FFXIV over World of Warcraft. The table joked that, since Zash is paying for Serianna’s account, she has to play the way he tells her. After noting the awkwardness on my face, they quickly explained that this is a joke within the game and is not as weird as it sounds out of that context.

lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm sorry for whatever I did to yoship that made this game give me totorak for leveling roulette three days in a row

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arist posted:

I'm sorry for whatever I did to yoship that made this game give me totorak for leveling roulette three days in a row

Good luck once you hit 47

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kaubocks posted:

i want shinryu's greatsword-- how hard is it to learn shinryu ex as someone who has never participated in current ex or savage content? tank perspective, if that matters.

- Good News: Shinryu EX can be steamrolled quite a bit by iLvl now!
- Bad News: Shinryu EX has, like, five different enrages and a ton of mechanics you need to know very well unless you want to kill yourself and probably at least two other people at the same time.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Cabbit posted:

I used that for my blm and liked things that looked low key sinister to go with it, I liked the idea of a Victorian gentleman who found out about something that Should Not Be.
Used the Old World Rod from Google normal, I think there's a crafted lookalike called heavy metal or something? Might be a little unimaginative to use two things from the same dungeon, of course.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

i have fuckin NO CLUE how anyone could honest heal their way through this video game. later dungeons, maybe, everything hits way harder, but i don't know who could fuckin level up a healer in a level 30 dungeon doing literally nothing but heal and think "yes this is normal and isn't brain damagingly boring at all"

I was in a Dusk Vigil leveling my WAR and I encountered a WHM who didn't cast a single damaging spell the whole time. Not even Aero. After doing some big pulls where they mostly just cast Cure 2 on me over and over, I had this conversation with them

Me: Why aren't you using Holy?
Whm: Because it uses like half of my MP
Me, internally: you have Lucid Dreaming and fights don't last that long, MP isn't an issue
Me: we have a Bard you shouldn't worry about that
Them: My hotbars are more set up for high-end healing

It took all my willpower to not just leave the dungeon right there. I have a WHM at 70! I know you're full of poo poo! :argh:

I wish I could make DF WHMs realize that casting Holy a couple of times is like a 7s Hallowed Ground that also damages all enemies for a bunch

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have my hot bars set up for high end healing too.

There's no healing spells on it, except assize

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kaubocks posted:

i have fuckin NO CLUE how anyone could honest heal their way through this video game.

The answer for the best thing to do with heals is, as always, Scholar.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be honest I'm a little disappointed that, even level synced, higher ilvl apparently allows groups to steamroll these Alexander fights.

Kaubocks posted:

Man, you should play Scholar. It can literally get away without healing at all for the vast majority of <50 content.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

The answer for the best thing to do with heals is, as always, Scholar.

Scholar also has the best glam options.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I wish I could make DF WHMs realize that casting Holy a couple of times is like a 7s Hallowed Ground that also damages all enemies for a bunch

I taught a sprout WHM about using the ultimate destructive magic Holy during a Tonberry Palace run. Felt good man.

Having just leveled a healer for the first time I do have more sympathy for the bad ones that I did before. Having to watch tanks struggle with pulls and never using cooldowns and dealing with dumbass dps doing none of the mechanics changes a man. And saying that the bard will use refresh is some sort of cruel joke to be honest.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do you really need to participate in Roevember when you're already a Roe?

That's even more reason to participate! Also I can celebrate finally getting the tank chest out of Swallow's Compass.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
These are some nice glamours.

For an idiot clown that can't tank

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Brainamp posted:

That's even more reason to participate! Also I can celebrate finally getting the tank chest out of Swallow's Compass.

I think I was in Swallow's Compass with you today, but it was the run with all the healer drops. Red Mage cat.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Ytlaya posted:

to add on to what the other poster said, you can aldo inbetween trash packs to put a shield on the tank during downtime, which in turn means more time to dps.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bobfly posted:

I used that for my blm and liked things that looked low key sinister to go with it, I liked the idea of a Victorian gentleman who found out about something that Should Not Be.
Used the Old World Rod from Google normal, I think there's a crafted lookalike called heavy metal or something? Might be a little unimaginative to use two things from the same dungeon, of course.

The lookalike is from Sirensong.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Controller Peeps - For the Cross Hotbar when I hold down L2 or R2 the opposite set of buttons disappear. I could have sworn there was a setting to disabling them doing that but for the life of me I can't find it. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering and that's always been the behavior of the cross hotbar.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

It's hard to imagine honest healing sastasha or copperbell but my experience leveling WHM was that there were a lot of groups for the 30-50 dungeons that needed a lot of cure spam. Maybe they're just all bad tanks, I don't know, I haven't played a tank yet. But I've had several roulettes, usually into Qarn, where the tank is just constantly on the verge of death and every lucid dream cast is precious. Even in those cases there's still time to cast some damage spells, especially on bosses, but I understand thinking that it's not worth the risk to spend your gcds on damage after doing a few of those and thinking that's how the game is supposed to be.

It doesn't help that healing kind of...sucks, at low levels (I mean, this is true of every class). You don't really have any options. At 30 to 44 you have regen, and cure 1/2. If you spend a gcd casting stone, and the tank starts dipping dangerously low, you have to cast a cure and hope he doesn't die within the time it takes to actually finish that cast and for the heal to land, since there's that little delay that I've never quite gotten used to.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Tangents posted:

It's hard to imagine honest healing sastasha or copperbell but my experience leveling WHM was that there were a lot of groups for the 30-50 dungeons that needed a lot of cure spam. Maybe they're just all bad tanks, I don't know, I haven't played a tank yet. But I've had several roulettes, usually into Qarn, where the tank is just constantly on the verge of death and every lucid dream cast is precious.

It's partly undergeared tanks and partly the limitations of the level syncs. Starting arguably at Haukke and definitely at Brayflox, multipulls in dungeons outside of the level 50, 60, and 70 ones tend to be messy even for well-geared tanks.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Even if the group is good and well geared, 30-45ish is easily the hardest range to heal, because you just don't have your cool healing tools yet.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Are we getting DDOSed again? I've been kicked off 8 times in the past 20 minutes and now I can't even connect to the datacenter. I saw a few other people in Limsa a few minutes ago flashing red DC icons on and off so I don't think it's just me...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Captain Cappy posted:

Having just leveled a healer for the first time I do have more sympathy for the bad ones that I did before. Having to watch tanks struggle with pulls and never using cooldowns and dealing with dumbass dps doing none of the mechanics changes a man. And saying that the bard will use refresh is some sort of cruel joke to be honest.

Another benefit to omniclassing in some degree: you know exactly how everyone else is messing up and how to not mess up what you're doing!

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Just got my BLM to level 70 and it seemed fun until I had to do mechanics.

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Are we getting DDOSed again? I've been kicked off 8 times in the past 20 minutes and now I can't even connect to the datacenter. I saw a few other people in Limsa a few minutes ago flashing red DC icons on and off so I don't think it's just me...

Same issues. Feels like another ddos problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Captain Cappy posted:

Just got my BLM to level 70 and it seemed fun until I had to do mechanics.

That's what manaward is for

Your healers can do the rest

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is there any proof that someone has been DDOSing the servers? It feels way to convenient to blame everything on it especially when it has been going on non-stop forever. I feel like maybe Squenix's terrible coding has caught up with them and they don't know what to do about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Is there any proof that someone has been DDOSing the servers? It feels way to convenient to blame everything on it especially when it has been going on non-stop forever. I feel like maybe Squenix's terrible coding has caught up with them and they don't know what to do about it.

I mean it is consistent with DDOS attacks and Square-Enix has called it a DDOS attack. It's kind of a stretch to go "but maybe they're lying" without any proof.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I havent even been able to log into the game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Cappy posted:

The constant stream of updates on Lodestone saying "recovery from DDOS attacks" and "about those DDOS attacks we've been having" suggests that, yes, it is

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Renegret posted:

Good luck once you hit 47

piss cave is actually fun as a warrior once you know how to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Violently Car posted:

piss cave is actually fun as a warrior once you know how to do it

I've found I like Aurum Vale way more with squadron buddies, my healer's tendency to get Coincounter'd notwithstanding.