Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Horseshoe theory posted:

Friendly reminder that the real seat of power for the KKK in the 1930s was Indiana.

you're thinking of the 1920s, once the DC Stephenson rape/murder trial and public official corruption scandal hit in '25/27 KKK membership immediately dropped (from 30% of Indiana's white male population to around 4,000 by the end of the decade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EdithUpwards posted:

The absolute Best Part is that Trump was correct. The Chief Justice works for him, is on his team, and there are teams.

How is this in any way correct. Aren't the branches supposed to be watchdogs to eachother? The judicial more than any of the others.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Not a message anyone else gets unless you live in america bitch so who gives a gently caress

Can you imagine hitting send on that bullshit and thinking yeah, got em, actually a provider

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nurge posted:

How is this in any way correct. Aren't the branches supposed to be watchdogs to eachother? The judicial more than any of the others.

“Supposed to” != “are”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

People rag on the south but the midwest seems to be the land of the nazis with institutional support as well.

the south is basically constantly in a state of war with the bigots and psychopaths vs the minorities and their friends who'd like to not be lynched.

the midwest just kinda had the bigots and psychos win for a long time because there was like one black dude in town and they were fine writing him off as a loss.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Hoarse Whisperer is like LT2012, but worse

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kale posted:

I mean she's basically the new Bernie Sanders at this point but with even greater potential for the progressive movement. She not only talks the talk, but looks the part too which IS important for a lot of potential voters. Even if they share a lot of views, he's still an old white man which is basically the look of the capitalist establishment and could make a difference in a get out the vote kind of election. It's something I have been considering, like she basically has all the pieces and more that Obama did in 2008 and lots of time to run for higher and higher offices. She would need a PAC though I think, that's the only thing she's missing that Obama had for his senate and later Presidential runs.

Where AOC's importance lies for me right now is her ability to seize the twitter narrative from Trump, something no other politician of either party has been able to do. Right now she's arguably better at it, which is massive.

I wouldn't put AOC and Obama anywhere in the same league. Obama was just another center right elite. People fell for his faux leftism, but he was clearly phony from go. AOC has plenty of time to disappoint but right now she looks like the real deal.

The pilitician worship always annoys and creeps me out but if a large segnent of the population must latch onto a stranger like they're their BFF we could do worse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nurge posted:

the president is supposed to not have the cognitive capacity of a bowl of warm oatmeal, and yet

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Nurge posted:

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be on paper, but when the SCOTUS overturns the Voting Rights Act and it helps enable what happened in Georgia to happen, I don't think it's been true for a while.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 24, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

The Midwest is the South with bad cooking.

The only state in the union with worse local cuisine than Ohio...... is Indiana. At least Pennsylvania has a lot of heavy Anabaptist influence on their local pastries and desserts that makes them truly worth going out of your way for. (Portions of Ohio as well if you know where to look.*) But Indiana ain't got none of that.

The literal worst cup of coffee and slice of "homemade" peach pie I've had in my life was at a rural Indiana diner that the locals raved about. (The only thing cheaper than the canned peaches was the canned coffee grounds.) It was so bad and I was so disappointed that I'm still carrying a grudge about that 15 years later.

*Wooster and the area around it has some drat fine Amish restaurants and God-tier donuts and pies.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 24, 2018

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

“Supposed to” != “are”

Republicans pick for ideological reasons and have a think tank that endorses picks.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the president is supposed to not have the cognitive capacity of a bowl of warm oatmeal, and yet

More like the oatmeal you forgot was in the rice cooker (they're amazing for steel cut oats, if you haven't tried it) for like two days in the summer and when you figured out where the smell was coming from you lifted up the lid and were greeted with mold and maggots.

Just like, a totally theoretical example.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

This is really loving dumb. "Pelosi rigged the primary" is what you said. "Hoyer suggested to the challenger (who lost 2 to 1 in the end) that they would not win" is what you proved happened. Good for Tilleman for not dropping out but your original statement is still completely unfounded.

hoyer told tillerman that the party apparatus was already behind crow and told him to drop out cause he couldn't win. i dunno why you think the party interfering in primaries is not rigging a primary, but it fits the definition perfectly and i'm not going to sugarcoat it so you can feel better about the dems. as for trying to distance pelosi from hoyer, that's pretty silly since pelosi endorsed this poo poo. trying to claim she wasn't involved at all at that point is just putting your fingers in your ears

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 24, 2018

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be on paper, but when the SCOTUS overturns the Voting Rights Act and it helps enable what allowed in Georgia to happen, I don't think it's been true for a while.

To be fair, the SCOTUS was always a political animal, just the :decorum: mask that was held up in the past slipped increasingly fast the last ~30 or so years.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

The only state in the union with worse local cuisine than Ohio...... is Indiana. At least Pennsylvania has a lot of heavy Anabaptist influence on their local pastries and deserts that makes them truly worth going out of your way for. (Portions of Ohio as well if you know where to look.*) But Indiana ain't got none of that.

The literal worst cup of coffee and slice of "homemade" peach pie I've had in my life was at a rural Indiana diner that the locals raved about. (The only thing cheaper than the canned peaches was the canned coffee grounds.) It was so bad and I was so disappointed that I'm still carrying a grudge about that 15 years later.

*Wooster and the area around it has some drat fine Amish restaurants and God-tier donuts and pies.

This is completely anecdotal (and possibly due to my preference for coffee that puts hair on your chest), but I've found that the Midwest just has weakass coffee in general. I'm sure there's good independent places, but I'm used to even 7-11 coffee being decently strong and fresh, and it seriously feels like the further you get from the coasts the less true that is.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Did John McAfee’s poop eating fetish get brought up? There’s a Vice documentary where a half dozen women describe how he would pay them to lay in a hammock and poop through a hole into his mouth.

I used to think that would be a disqualifier, but with chuds who knows?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Violator posted:

Did John McAfee’s poop eating fetish get brought up? There’s a Vice documentary where a half dozen women describe how he would pay them to lay in a hammock and poop through a hole into his mouth.

i'd rather you had not brought it up

also, who cares what the few psychos who like mcafee think?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crow Jane posted:

This is completely anecdotal (and possibly due to my preference for coffee that puts hair on your chest), but I've found that the Midwest just has weakass coffee in general. I'm sure there's good independent places, but I'm used to even 7-11 coffee being decently strong and fresh, and it seriously feels like the further you get from the coasts the less true that is.

Your intuition here it is entirely correct. Speaking as both a coffee-loving native Ohian as well as former 18-wheeler driver* I fully agree with your assessment. Outside of a few local pockets coffee in the Midwest largely sucks. The only major chain out that way that carries consistently good drip coffee is Pilot.

That said, at least Pilot does have some pretty drat savory drip coffee. Circle K (the midwest's 7-11 equivalent) traffics only in unpalatable swill.

*which is a surprisingly common job for transwomen to have done at least once in their lives

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Violator posted:

Eating poo poo is the first stage of getting red pilled

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is the person that made Avast sane?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lycus posted:

Is the person that made Avast sane?

It's easier to just presume that tech tycoons and their cults are libertarians and neo-nazis. Even if they prove otherwise, remain suspicious

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Nurge posted:

the judiciary granted itself the ability to nullify legislation or EOs but since it's not an actual power the constitution gives them they've always had to be careful to not stray too far from what the executive or legislative branches will tolerate, since they could be impeached or face court packing otherwise (or just be ignored since they have no enforcement mechanism). also it's impossible for the judiciary to be impartial since the members are appointed by members of a political party who presumably want judges who will rule according to how they want, it's partisan and always has been.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
dear loving god until mcafee finally eats his own dick i'm gonna have to ask people stop posting his insanity

it ain't USPOL and it ain't news and we really don't need to know his sexual fetishes itt

Kale
May 14, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

I wouldn't put AOC and Obama anywhere in the same league. Obama was just another center right elite. People fell for his faux leftism, but he was clearly phony from go. AOC has plenty of time to disappoint but right now she looks like the real deal.

The pilitician worship always annoys and creeps me out but if a large segnent of the population must latch onto a stranger like they're their BFF we could do worse.

It's a little weird, but if you've noticed particularly how very online people tend to work literally everything about AOC makes sense right now. I mean Gritty is literally just a hockey mascot and look how much people are taking the Gritty is an anti-facist symbol of our times thing and running with it. Like I have little doubt an AOC/Guy in a Gritty suit, Democratic ticket could make decent waves if a Presidential election were held today just on meme value alone.

The gritty thing definitely weirds me out more than the AOC thing though. AOC again is a real politician who isn't a wealthy old white man (which if you read USPOL much is a HUGE deal for a lot of posters) out there trying to speak up for the little guy right now and has a dose of political charisma to boot....while Gritty is literally just a hockey mascot.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/gritty-memes-alt-right-philadelphia-flyers-mascot-antifa-pepe-frog/

Hilariously this is happening now too. Apparently the alt-right wants to see if it can co-opt Gritty as a symbol as well. I'm trying to think back to something I remember hearing in an English literature lecture about how people attach meaning to things as an important concept to try to explain the phenomenon but nothings really coming to mind. :shrug:

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 24, 2018

Violator
May 15, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

dear loving god until mcafee finally eats his own dick i'm gonna have to ask people stop posting his insanity

it ain't USPOL and it ain't news and we really don't need to know his sexual fetishes itt

Sorry. :kiddo:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

1glitch0 posted:

This is my issue. AOC seems genuine - even if I think she has some severe knowledge gaps - and she probably wants to do the right thing.

It's the loving worship that gets up my rear end. Look at every single Democrat politician - every single one. They have been involved in scandal, they always disappoint, they are always in it for themselves. If they manage to get good things done along the way, great, but loving hell they are not your friends. The Instagram stories? It's a political tactic. It might be genuine, but it's a tactic. To see posters here fawn over that kind of campaigning -because yes, it is campaigning even if the election is two years away - is so loving bizarre. Like this politician will be the one who's different.

I hope AOC does good things. But she hasn't done anything yet, so save the fawning for the achievements.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

Your intuition here it is entirely correct. Speaking as both a coffee-loving native Ohian as well as former 18-wheeler driver* I fully agree with your assessment. Outside of a few local pockets coffee in the Midwest largely sucks. The only major chain out that way that carries consistently good drip coffee is Pilot.

That said, at least Pilot does have some pretty drat savory drip coffee. Circle K (the midwest's 7-11 equivalent) traffics only in unpalatable swill.

*which is a surprisingly common job for transwomen to have done at least once in their lives

There's probably some kind of political/electoral correlation or metaphor there, but I'm either too stoned or not stoned enough to come up with it right now.

CelestialScribe posted:

This is my issue. AOC seems genuine - even if I think she has some severe knowledge gaps - and she probably wants to do the right thing.

It's the loving worship that gets up my rear end. Look at every single Democrat politician - every single one. They have been involved in scandal, they always disappoint, they are always in it for themselves. If they manage to get good things done along the way, great, but loving hell they are not your friends. The Instagram stories? It's a political tactic. It might be genuine, but it's a tactic. To see posters here fawn over that kind of campaigning -because yes, it is campaigning even if the election is two years away - is so loving bizarre. Like this politician will be the one who's different.

I hope AOC does good things. But she hasn't done anything yet, so save the fawning for the achievements.

Jesus loving Christ. We live in dark times, it's okay to cling to light where you can find it. AOC seems genuinely cool, and Gritty owns.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

it's all good but when we're getting in realm of poophammocks i'm gonna have to cut that off at the stem

just like mcafee is gonna have to do when bitcoin isn't a million a bit

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

The Midwest is the South with bad cooking.

I want to nip this in the bud because there are two regions in the Midwest - the great lakes region, which includes Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and arguably Buffalo (rust belt cities, basically) and the great plains region, which includes... Uh... Corn.

The great lakes region has fantastic food and I'll fight anyone who argues with me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 24, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/887024683379544065

Ppj lmao what the gently caress how did I miss this

Why is this a real thing he said? Bath salts are wild as poo poo.

CelestialScribe posted:

Her attitude and willingness to be a different voice in the party is extremely refreshing. I hope she inspires more people like her into politics if nothing else.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

CelestialScribe posted:

You're right that she hasn't done anything as a congressperson yet (obviously).

However, she is managing to get airtime and sometimes even steal the microphone away from Trump. This is an achievement, even if not a congressional one.

In this timeline, that's like a glass of ice water in hell.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

However, she is managing to get airtime and sometimes even steal the microphone away from Trump. This is an achievement, even if not a congressional one.

Fine! But she isn't your friend, and people need to stop acting like it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

I wouldn't phrase it like that in USPOL if I were you. :ohdear:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

no

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Indeed. Hope isn't something to be mocked and scorned. Embrace it for the refreshing breeze in this fear dominated time

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 24, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

it's all good but when we're getting in realm of poophammocks i'm gonna have to cut that off at the stem

look I agree with you here one hundred percent I'm just saying you might want to rethink how you phrased that a little bit...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

The great lakes region has fantastic food and I'll fight anyone who argues with me.

Like the South, all of the good food in the Midwest came from non-white people, or people who used to be treated as non-white.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

Like the South, all of the good food in the Midwest came from non-white people, or people who used to be treated as non-white.

My rule of thumb for finding a good restaurant in the midwest is: "look at the cooks and the customers- the fewer the white people the better the food".

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Enjoy your disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kansas City has the best barbecue in the nation, don't @ me.