Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wooper posted:

One thing about vinyl as a format is that the loudness war never came to it (afaik) and they were mastered correctly even when cd versions of an album were ruined.

Loudness War was literally started with vinyl.

pressings were made hotter so that they would sound louder in the jukebox and on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Wooper posted:

One thing about vinyl as a format is that the loudness war never came to it (afaik) and they were mastered correctly even when cd versions of an album were ruined.

I have some old new wave and punk albums, Pil, The Clash, The Stranglers, etc and they sound so damned good on vinyl, presumably because they were mastered with that format in mind. There's just something almost alive about the sound, like the band are there in the room. I might be biased because I bought my records alongside a relatively high quality turntable, whereas I was used to a ubiquity of cheap analogue-digital converters.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EvilGenius posted:

I have some old new wave and punk albums, Pil, The Clash, The Stranglers, etc and they sound so damned good on vinyl, presumably because they were mastered with that format in mind. There's just something almost alive about the sound, like the band are there in the room. I might be biased because I bought my records alongside a relatively high quality turntable, whereas I was used to a ubiquity of cheap analogue-digital converters.

You should tell us more

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Powered Descent posted:

Weird Al ended one of his albums with a track called Bite Me, which didn't appear on the printed track listing. It was ten minutes of dead silence, and then suddenly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIi-H0gSdM

Quite a few people are reported to have leaped out of their skin. :)

Nice!

The first copy of Nevermind I got was a homegrown cassette my sister copied from her CD. She did not warn me about the hidden track, and since it was on tape, it wasn't like I could notice "hmm, this track's ended, but the clock is still counting". I freaked the hell out when it started playing.

From a similar era, I wanna say it was Nine Inch Nails...? that had one where the album ended, and then they stuffed enough one second tracks of silence to get it up to track 99, which was the hidden track. That was fun, the album ended, and then you glanced at the player a moment later and saw it going "24, 25, 26..." and wondered wtf was going on.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Wasabi the J posted:

Loudness War was literally started with vinyl.

pressings were made hotter so that they would sound louder in the jukebox and on the radio.

Regardless, I've had to track down vinyls of albums to get a better, non-poo poo master(that the vinyl had for some reason).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The vast majority of LPs since the CD became dominant have been made pretty much straight from the CD master. Brickwalling and all.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

EvilGenius posted:

Best hidden track was on an Autechre album, who took advantage of the fact that nearly 100% of CD players start from track 1, but the format allows for a track 0.
Track 1, Index 0.
:goonsay:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SubNat posted:

To be fair, a smart fridge, with RFID tags on most products would be pretty nice honestly.
Getting a notification about X and Y expiring soon

This'd result in you throwing out a lot of perfectly edible food. Expiration dates do not mean that food is fine, fine, fine, and then instantly turns to garbage. The way to decide whether or not you should be throwing it out is not by an encoded date, it's by looking at/smelling/tasting it.

quote:

, getting recipe lists based on stuff you have.

But...you can do this already.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad.

I don't know about you, but I'm mad as heck and seriously considering not putting up with this any longer.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Phanatic posted:

This'd result in you throwing out a lot of perfectly edible food. Expiration dates do not mean that food is fine, fine, fine, and then instantly turns to garbage. The way to decide whether or not you should be throwing it out is not by an encoded date, it's by looking at/smelling/tasting it.

But...you can do this already.

To the first point, there is a pretty big difference between checking something that's just expired, and finding something that's weeks out of date because you completely forgot about it.

But here's the thing, if the fridge keeps track of things, it might deter people just throwing things out.
It keeping track of how long the object has been stored, and at what temps could help inform customers more.

Yeah, that milk expired a few days ago, but it's been kept cool here for the last week, and is likely to be good, so do a taste test.
It would probably help cut down on waste a lot, giving consumers who'd rather just throw out things that are out of date a chance that they'd actually check things out.
It's kind of a natural step before we get more accurate sensors that actually give feedback on that more directly.

(I've seen stuff like thermal tags on meat here in norway, that give you a heads up that hey, this thing is actually going to be good for another 10 days, despite having a best before tomorrow. )
These are very much not an obsolete technology, yet. And probably save quite a few tons of meat a year, already. Smartfridges with RFID could help a lot more.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Nice!

The first copy of Nevermind I got was a homegrown cassette my sister copied from her CD. She did not warn me about the hidden track, and since it was on tape, it wasn't like I could notice "hmm, this track's ended, but the clock is still counting". I freaked the hell out when it started playing.

From a similar era, I wanna say it was Nine Inch Nails...? that had one where the album ended, and then they stuffed enough one second tracks of silence to get it up to track 99, which was the hidden track. That was fun, the album ended, and then you glanced at the player a moment later and saw it going "24, 25, 26..." and wondered wtf was going on.

Quick wikipedia search suggests Danzig, although that one is track 66.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Quick wikipedia search suggests Danzig, although that one is track 66.

Broken by Nine Inch Nails did it at I think 99. Undertow by Tool did it at track 69.

There are many, many others from that era that hid tracks this way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nine Inch Nail's Broken has track 98 "Physical (You're So)" and 99 "Suck". Tool's Undertow had track 69 "Disgustipated". Marilyn Manson's Antichirst Superstar had track 99 "Empty Sounds of Hate", but wasn't an actual song.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

To the first point, there is a pretty big difference between checking something that's just expired, and finding something that's weeks out of date because you completely forgot about it.

But here's the thing, if the fridge keeps track of things, it might deter people just throwing things out.
It keeping track of how long the object has been stored, and at what temps could help inform customers more.

Yeah, that milk expired a few days ago, but it's been kept cool here for the last week, and is likely to be good, so do a taste test.
It would probably help cut down on waste a lot, giving consumers who'd rather just throw out things that are out of date a chance that they'd actually check things out.
It's kind of a natural step before we get more accurate sensors that actually give feedback on that more directly.

(I've seen stuff like thermal tags on meat here in norway, that give you a heads up that hey, this thing is actually going to be good for another 10 days, despite having a best before tomorrow. )
These are very much not an obsolete technology, yet. And probably save quite a few tons of meat a year, already. Smartfridges with RFID could help a lot more.

I just had to throw out a jar of tomato sauce because I forgot about it for two weeks, so a fridge keeping track of that would've been nice. Sadly RFID doesn't seem to be taking off in retail very much so far.

There's a lot of legitimately great potential for IoT stuff, but like with everything else, the vast majority is trash.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mobby_6kl posted:

I just had to throw out a jar of tomato sauce because I forgot about it for two weeks,

Tomato sauce is acidic as hell. How does that go bad because you forgot about it for two weeks?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SubNat posted:

Run this past a team of lawyers and get back to me.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Phanatic posted:

Tomato sauce is acidic as hell. How does that go bad because you forgot about it for two weeks?

The fridge has a mini black hole instead of a light.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I see nobody's proposed the idea of "not stuffing your fridge so full of food that you forget stuff is there/can't finish stuff because it goes off/literally can't find stuff because it's packed so densely yet.

Plan your meals for the week and buy only what you need (obviously when an item is sold in a particular portion size you just have to deal with it). Plus you get to save money on not running a warehouse-sized fridge any more!

"But Weatherman," I hear someone whine, "if I don't have this particular bespoke gluten-free sauce in my fridge then however will I make *generic dish with fancy name*?" Uhh, don't, I guess? Or make it often enough that you can use up the ingredients before they go bad?

"You don't understand, Weatherman," someone else wheezes from the back. "Costco only sells things by the wheelbarrow so I have no choice but to shovel it all into my fridge." Well I'd suggest splitting your purchases with your friends but I already see the problem with that idea.

John Oliver did a segment some time ago about how Americans throw like 40% of their food supply into a landfill. The solution to that isn't to put rfid tags into everything or wire your fridge to your phone through your arse. It's "buy less and eat efficiently".

But I guess that doesn't create shareholder value so :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of the problem is that american tastes tend towards the Large Buy packs of poo poo, possibly because you don't really have a corner market that's convenient enough to grab tonight's dinner at.

If you're driving out to the local supermarket [or your organic hippy grocer of choice a la Whole Foods] and it's a time investment, you'll grab the family pack of cookies, salad, beef, etc. You're also more likely to rationalize it as SAVINGS when 20 packs of romaine are $6.99 vs just the two you'll need for the next few days at $5.00

The other problem is that with commute times and other nonsense, the idea of actually cooking becomes more and more of a luxury.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phanatic posted:

Tomato sauce that's been opened spoils and molds pretty easily. The condensation on the surface dilutes it which raises the PH.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, if you think I'm driving two hours to the nearest Costco for a week's worth of supplies you have some seriously skewed priorities.

Own a deep-freeze, buy meat/ice cream/frozen/pasta/dry goods/canned stuff in bulk to save money. Make weekly trips to the nearest supermarket for fruit and veg/dairy/other perishables.

Actually eat your leftovers the next day instead of leaving it at the back of the fridge to achieve sentience. Clean your loving fridge occasionally.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

I don't know, I don't have a fridge that would tell me :(

mostlygray posted:

Tomato sauce that's been opened spoils and molds pretty easily. The condensation on the surface dilutes it which raises the PH.

Though it could be this

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone think of any technology that we still use daily that hasn’t changed much since origination? Only thing I can think of is speakers as those haven’t really changed much over the years

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Not failed per se but definitely obsolete:

It’s a Pioneer PD-C7, their first portable from the fall of 1985, though it’s really just a rebadged version of the Sony D-5, which was their first portable (and the first CD player I ever owned—it was much cheaper than the full-size players were at the time, and therefore much easier to beg your parents to buy you for Christmas). The case holds the player and a battery pack it snaps into; the player could also be docked into a couple of high-end boom boxes Pioneer released at the same time.

I picked it up at a garage sale for $12 a few months back. Missing the power adapter but it was in such fantastic shape otherwise that I couldn’t pass it up. I finally picked up some batteries for it the other day—it takes six “C” cells—and fired it up, and it works like a charm, or at least as well as I remember my D-5 working anyway.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can anyone think of any technology that we still use daily that hasn’t changed much since origination? Only thing I can think of is speakers as those haven’t really changed much over the years

Ovens. Beyond electronics, I would think they pretty much do the same thing they've always done.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The power grid and its major components have not changed significantly over the past century. It is said that Edison/Tesla would have no trouble understanding our modern power grid but Bell would have a hell of a time with our phones.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fridges, washing machines, electric iron, bicycle?

The gun hasn't changed for 100+ years

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

spog posted:

Fridges, washing machines, electric iron, bicycle?

The gun hasn't changed for 100+ years

Bicycles have changed massively since their origination. They now have suspension, for one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TotalLossBrain posted:

The power grid and its major components have not changed significantly over the past century. It is said that Edison/Tesla would have no trouble understanding our modern power grid but Bell would have a hell of a time with our phones.

On that note, do you think Daimler would recognize a modern car as a relative of his three-wheeler?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also tossing in the internal combustion engine.

Sure, ancillary systems have evolved over the years, we've moved onto computer driven controls and methods for getting fuel into the engine have changed, but the rotating assembly and basic operating principles have changed little since the turn of the 20th century.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

Starting a washer or a fridge that scans your milk? No consumer I have ever talked to wants that poo poo. It's just poo poo that manufacturers push out on the high end model, which competition then apes to seem higher end; so eventually we're in a world of smart trashcans and cloud connected toilet bowls.

We got a higher-end model of Sony TV, and while it had some more of the "smart TV" features that were available at the time than the lower-end ones, ironically one of the features it had that the lower-end ones lacked was a physical power switch.

I hope all the high-end products with IoT have physical power switches too so you can disconnect them from the botnets :v:

SubNat posted:

To be fair, a smart fridge, with RFID tags on most products would be pretty nice honestly.
Getting a notification about X and Y expiring soon,

I'd kind of like that, but I frequently have to ask my wife what the hell all the notifications she's getting on her phone in the middle of the night are, so I look forward to 10x that!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Who else misses hidden tracks on CDs? You can't have fun with stuff like that anymore. :(

It took me a long time to start buying lots of CDs, and by the time I started doing so I was an early adopter of "rip it all to MP3 and put the CD away forever" so hidden tracks were just annoying. I'm glad I never got any of those ones with 66-99 tracks on them!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jedit posted:

Bicycles have changed massively since their origination. They now have suspension, for one.

The Whippet Safety Bicycle from 1885, notable for its use of springs to suspend the frame.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Our brand spanking new water heater is no better than the old one (aside from the lack of leaks).

Our new air conditioner is also probably 20% more efficient than the old one. Our new fridge runs more cheaply and has better storage. But a gas water heater just heats water with gas. Once they mastered the pilot light and cut down on accidental gas fumes killing you, there wasn't much else to improve on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Have writing implements really improved much beyond materials?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Airplanes. The Boeing 737 entered service in 1968 and Boeing still makes 47 a month to this day. The computers inside have changed but drat. And that's nothing compared to the B-52, which began service with the USAF in 1955 and is expected to continue until 2050.

Do you realize that toilet paper has not changed in my lifetime? It's just paper on a cardboard roll, that's it. And in ten thousand years, it will still be exactly the same because really, what else can they do?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Airplanes. The Boeing 737 entered service in 1968 and Boeing still makes 47 a month to this day. The computers inside have changed but drat. And that's nothing compared to the B-52, which began service with the USAF in 1955 and is expected to continue until 2050.

Plane safety has improved a lot. It wasn't uncommon for half a dozen commercial airline jets to fall out of the sky each year in the United States. Now it's 1 or 2 (or zero last year). And that's with exponentially more traffic and miles flown.

quote:

Do you realize that toilet paper has not changed in my lifetime? It's just paper on a cardboard roll, that's it. And in ten thousand years, it will still be exactly the same because really, what else can they do?

3 ply.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Moisturized wipes

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Ballpoint pens weren't commercially viable until the 1930's, and I'll bet they've improved since then, at least the ones that aren't cheap garbage. I'd bet that even stuff like pencils are a lot more consistent now that people aren't relying on local graphite and clay deposits being consistent.

Maybe stuff like mechanical door locks. I don't think there have been big improvements to tumbler locks.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Imagined posted:

Those Japanese robot toilets with bidets. :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Buttcoin purse posted:

We got a higher-end model of Sony TV, and while it had some more of the "smart TV" features that were available at the time than the lower-end ones, ironically one of the features it had that the lower-end ones lacked was a physical power switch.

Wait... What? Not trying to be all :smug: "I don't even own a tv", but I seriously haven't bought a tv in years. You telling me tv's don't come with power switches anymore? Is it all through the remote or what?

quote:

I'd kind of like that, but I frequently have to ask my wife what the hell all the notifications she's getting on her phone in the middle of the night are, so I look forward to 10x that!

That sounds like an absolute nightmare, too. When my husband, who's a total Facebook whore, forgets to silence his phone notifications before coming to bed, I loving hate being woken up at 2am just because someone said "lol" to a funny pic he posted.

It's me, I'm the obsolete and failed. I don't want a tv that I can't shut off if the batteries in the remote dies, I don't want any appliance that connects to the internet, I don't want a car that automatically slams the brakes if a plastic bag floats in front of her on a breezy day, I don't want a fridge yelling at me that my eggs coded out when that dating is purely arbitrary. Now get off my lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Imagined posted: