Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spog posted:

That's a very nice place you've got there. Nice and classy.

(I am midly concerned that you know for fact that 4 adults will fit in your bathtub and then you pan across to a shelf full of body lotion in dispensing bottles, but we all need a hobby, I guess)

The two have nothing to do with one another, amazingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Not to get in the way of the Rhyno parade, but I moved earlier this year and thought I'd share my adventure.

Note: I didn't follow some of my own advice to Rhyno. Backstory:

I had a 1000 sq ft starter home in a early 50s post-WWII starter home neighborhood, in the first ring of suburbs. Beginning last October I started seeing comps increase 1-2% per month vs 1-2% per year. Then the local housing supply started to dwindle down -- a balanced market is around 10k homes for sale in the metro area. In January comps increased by 10% and the inventory reached 2.5k for sale. In Feb comps increased another 8% and inventory hit 2k. I put my house on the market in March - inventory was around 1750 homes. Comps were selling immediately above listing. We raised the asking price by 10% when we had 3 offers almost immediately, sight unseen. The open house was on day 3 and we had more than 20 couples lined up at the door a half-hour beforehand. 5 offers over listing price and 7 at listing. We played the bidding war for another week and ended up getting 30% over listing.

At the same time I needed a place to live. I started looking for condos downtown, specifically in an area that was underdeveloped but 'up and coming' as it was walking distance to several notable venues. The first condo at first glance appeared to be exactly what I wanted, but the photos were deceiving. It had a lot of DIY repairs that were (very) poorly done and the building condition was not what it should have been for a recent (under 10 year old) gut and remodel. HOAs were high. Hard pass.

The second condo was right on the border of my target area and had been on the market for almost a year. It was about 500 sq ft larger than any other listing below $1MM. The listing photos were poo poo, and the listing agent wasn't much better. PO had done some lovely DIY as well - painted the kitchen cabinets a chocolate color but didn't prep. Painted all the walls but with runs and streaks everywhere. Ran out of paint mid-wall. Bedroom carpets were worn out and had paint all over them. The complex had a great community - it was active and I met several neighbors. HOA had a good reserve, and the building was really well maintained. I put in an offer for 25% below listing and they countered at 20% below. Closing was a nightmare - we found out dude had a $15k lien by the HOA for non-payment. None of the repairs in the contract were done at time of closing, he hadn't moved out when I closed and I ended up having to give him the weekend to finish moving.

So now the video tour - I've done nothing with the carpets or paint (yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxyvUwnno6E

Best set of decisions I ever made. Condo has appreciated since I've been here, they're building/renovating more next door with retail on the lower floors. I pretty much park the car and walk after work/on the weekends.

Your condo is awesome and is really motivating me to paint all the trim in my house white.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've never actually done a heater core and it's exactly as awful add I thought it would be

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Fender Anarchist posted:

I've never actually done a heater core and it's exactly as awful add I thought it would be

Yep.

On which vehicle did you perform the exorcism?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Your condo is awesome and is really motivating me to paint all the trim in my house white.

It really is worth the effort if you're going with a lighter pallette. In your place, at the very least, I would take off the dark chair rails if you're going to leave the dark trim. Dark colors only look good if they're grounded.

edit: and thank you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Call me old fashioned, but screw white trim. Especially when you're the loving DIY channel inspired flippers that got into all the older housing stock here and slapped cheap white paint over all the beautiful 1920's era six inch wood trim and solid doors.

Living in a greige box with wall words and pointless barn doors has zero appeal or personality

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

meltie posted:

Yep.

A P71 I think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect the C10 is the only vehicle where a heater core is not cause for massive self harm, because they put the whole loving mess under the hood instead.

Of course, the factory HVAC loving sucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meltie posted:

Yep.

Queen Combat posted:

A P71 I think.

Yup. Still in progress too, currently fishing through one of the airbox studs that fell through to the outside when I brute forced off the assembly line clips that sit beneath the inner nuts. Turns out these bolt from both ends (one to the firewall one to the airbox) and the firewall end was left lose so it rotated and slipped through its slot, fell to the ground.

Good news is I filled the old core with water and left it in the sink, and it is in fact leaking down. So at least I know this wasn't just a misdiagnosed leaky hose or something.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Heater core in the S14 240SX was really easy when I did it 5 years ago. Iirc it was drop the glove box and then it came out.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
My cousin had a Volvo 240 in northern Idaho and after looking the procedure up it was less work to just run some beefy cables from the alternator up to the cabin and put a small 12VDC heater at your feet. The blower motor bearings were getting Chewbacca-y anyway so gently caress that poo poo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Liquid Communism posted:

Especially when you're the loving DIY channel inspired flippers that got into all the older housing stock here and slapped cheap white paint over all the beautiful 1920's era six inch wood trim and solid doors.

So this in my book is one of a few exceptions - (one of) my grandparents' house was built in 1924 and had absolutely gorgeous dark wood trim and doors throughout the house. Dark trim looks great with bold and darker colors, as wainscoting, and for built-ins. Rhynohouse in my opinion is not that dark rich wood, it's that reactionary Three's Company stuff that was in style for about 10 years and spawned the equally bad reactionary white on white on white on white of the early 80s. Which spawned the ridiculous reactionary pink and green and brass style of the early 90s. etc etc etc. I would argue that they whole gray/shiplap/barn door/words on a wall style is a reaction to the pre-recession builder-grade mega mansion style.

No offense to intended towards Rhynohouse. I would wager the rooms that have the chair railing had either grasscloth or wallpaper as an upper/lower originally.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 24, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QiFcYOhrHc

:psyduck:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Queen Combat posted:

My cousin had a Volvo 240 in northern Idaho and after looking the procedure up it was less work to just run some beefy cables from the alternator up to the cabin and put a small 12VDC heater at your feet. The blower motor bearings were getting Chewbacca-y anyway so gently caress that poo poo.

I would like an onboard Chewbacca. :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We were buying a terrace in Stoke. £50k is excessive in my mind. Eventually bought a £70k house somewhere slightly nicer.

It's always funny telling your friends in Brighton about buying a house for that money though, it wouldn't buy a parking space down there.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fender Anarchist posted:

try pulling the dashboard out of a DB11 just to replace some rattling air vent

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I do love it so much when my mother in law, who we haven't had contact with in years, swings back in by shooting my wife an absolutely vile text message full of the poo poo we cut her off for.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh I do love it so much when my mother in law, who we haven't had contact with in years, swings back in by shooting my wife an absolutely vile text message full of the poo poo we cut her off for.

On the other hand, it just reaffirms that you made the right decision years ago, because she hasn't changed for the better!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My wife doesn't always see it that way, but I agree.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Block the number and move on?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Already done. Was slightly surprised she hadn't done it already.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Liquid Communism posted:

Call me old fashioned, but screw white trim. Especially when you're the loving DIY channel inspired flippers that got into all the older housing stock here and slapped cheap white paint over all the beautiful 1920's era six inch wood trim and solid doors.

Living in a greige box with wall words and pointless barn doors has zero appeal or personality

Agreed, but TBF Rhyno didn't buy a house with good trim. With a generic box from the 60s-today, do whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that chair rail is coming down. The house was built in 1981 so there's mostly just generic molding, nothing really special.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I want to go to loving need but this LSU game is insane.

Edit: hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving.

Edit2: daughter started crying so I went to get her to chill and thought I'd miss the ending. Nah didn't miss anything. 6th overtime starting. :wtc:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 25, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya this game is nuts

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Suburban Dad posted:

I want to go to loving need but this LSU game is insane.

Edit: hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving.

Edit2: daughter started crying so I went to get her to chill and thought I'd miss the ending. Nah didn't miss anything. 6th overtime starting. :wtc:

Seriously.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The ref was out of flags so he threw his hat

:vince:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Jesus, 7 overtimes.

I thought it was nuts my Cyclones came back to win from a 17 point deficit. :stare:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I agree with not touching vintage wood trim, but as has been said, my townhouse was an 80's shitbox too. It was pale yellow walls, cheap generic brown trim, and green carpet, with all brass hardware. I chose to white out all the trim and do brushed nickel on all hardware and it completely updated the whole place. I didn't realize I was trendy as this was 12 years ago and I was just doing what I wanted.

The carpet was fairly new and very high quality so I picked colors that work with it and kept it. It's still holding up today. Here's a sample:

Before:

After:

That front door is the original wall yellow.

Oh Rhyno: A tip from my buddy who does a lot of painting and updating: When you get several gallons of the same color paint, get a 5 gallon bucket and mix all of them together so you know for sure they match. Nothing sucks like painting half a wall, switching buckets and finding that the tint is just a teensy tiny bit different because they still only pay minimum wage at the paint counter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

When you put in your car's specs into Advance Auto's website, and click the first result under "Gold - Ceramic" for brake pads.

.... and wind up with rear disc brake pads. My trim level, nor the one above it, was never sold with rear discs; only the Redline was. Mine's a base model (and entered as such). :fuckoff:

My fault for not looking closer at the listing, but goddamnit, that was a kick in the nuts. I didn't even bring jackstands (I'm back in Dallas at my parents for the weekend), so it's sitting on a jack with the wheel shoved under the control arm.

Discovered it's not the front brakes grinding while I was at it. They're worn, but not metal on metal (also tells me Rockauto didn't send me ceramic pads, or their supplier mislabeled them - no way in hell should I have blown almost all the way through ceramics in <30k when no-name ceramics made it over 50k on my old, nearly identical car - I also shouldn't have this insane level of brake dust). loving hell, means I get to dig into the rear brakes. They looked brand new in July, just hilariously out of adjustment at the time. At least I'll be able to figure out WTF happened to my parking brake (LR will lock on jackstands with the handle all the way up, RR has nothing with the handle yanked as high as it goes - car rolls easily on a slight hill and the parking brake does absolutely nothing if I yank it at even 5 mph).

gently caress this car.

Upside is Autozone had a Black Friday weekend special with a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 High Mileage and a STP Extended Life (10k miles*) filter for $25.99. Cheapest Mobil 1 oil change I've ever done. Should be valid through the end of today (there's a couple of other combo deals, but that seemed like the best value).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 25, 2018

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Anyone got experience with 90s Toyota shifter cables? Its a mission to get into first and occasionally wont catch second. Bushes seem ok. I have a spare set of cables but
wondering if the problem lies elsewhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All white trim is a go. She was fairly easy to convince.

LloydDobler posted:

Oh Rhyno: A tip from my buddy who does a lot of painting and updating: When you get several gallons of the same color paint, get a 5 gallon bucket and mix all of them together so you know for sure they match. Nothing sucks like painting half a wall, switching buckets and finding that the tint is just a teensy tiny bit different because they still only pay minimum wage at the paint counter.

We bought it in 5 gallon buckets. We're going to have a very warm, neutral base throughout most of the house with accent walls to break it up.

Someone said something about having the same flooring in all of your wet places. So the entire second floor is going to be a unified dark laminate. We have enough to even do both bathrooms. And then we'll have about 200 sq ft left which is more than enough to do the downstairs laundry and bathroom and there is a door to that space. So is that a thing that people do? Or should I just leave the current tile as is?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^Laminate flooring can be a mixed bag in wet areas like bathrooms. Yes it's cheaper than tile but any amount of standing water left on laminate flooring can seep into the seams and cause immediate damage

LloydDobler posted:

Nothing sucks like painting half a wall, switching buckets and finding that the tint is just a teensy tiny bit different because they still only pay minimum wage at the paint counter.

It's the machine's fault! (I used to work the paint counter at Lowe's)

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 25, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

^Laminate flooring can be a mixed bag in wet areas like bathrooms. Yes it's cheaper than tile but any amount of standing water left on laminate flooring can seep into the seams and cause immediate damage

I keep saying laminate but it's LVT. The core structure is vinyl. Advertised as waterproof.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

A lot of the new vinyl flooring is water proof these days so it shouldn't be an issue, but if it isn't officially labeled as water proof I wouldn't risk it.

Rhyno you're lucky you have a clean empty space to work with, we are getting ready to do the same thing and I'm not looking forward to moving a shitload of furniture (and a fish tank) around to accomplish the job. I'd really love to hire someone to do it, but i know that if I do I'll be paying someone to gently caress it up so I may as well do it right myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well we had a guy who was going to do the painting for a steal but his boss contracted them to do offices downtown and he's busy until February so this became a DIY gig. We're heading over in a bit to start scraping popcorn ceiling. Yuck. Tomorrow our drywall guy is starting. We have a plan of attack where he'll do a full room and then I'll go in and prime the ceiling and walls so we can try and get some livable space finished. We have just under 5 weeks until we have to turn our apartment keys in so I'm hopeful we can get a few rooms knocked out.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

All white trim is a go. She was fairly easy to convince.
I would recommend finding warm and cold whites that complement your wall colors. Our nursery turned out great with a winter white to match the blue walls, while other rooms have summer whites to match yellow walls. You transition mid-doorframe.

Using a light grey (anything other than white, honestly) plays nicely against the trim as well.

Sorry the pic isn't so helpful -- the boob-light doesn't spread the best light, though it does nicely highlight every imperfection in the ceiling!

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 25, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

spog posted:

It seems such a bizarre decision to try and have a sales day on a non-public holiday Friday.
It was good though. First time a n64 everdrive V3 cart was under au$200 delivered so I bought one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Well we had a guy who was going to do the painting for a steal but his boss contracted them to do offices downtown and he's busy until February so this became a DIY gig. We're heading over in a bit to start scraping popcorn ceiling.

Buckle up. That's a huge job. (Both the painting and the ceilings. Huge jobs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Buckle up. That's a huge job. (Both the painting and the ceilings. Huge jobs.)

Oh I know this. We painted my mother's entire second floor and it was hell. Thankfully we only need to finish 3 rooms to live in the house. The rest will be an ongoing project.

• Locked thread