Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Man, I've always felt like D5 would scratch that SRPG itch in a slick and polished package but...I just can't get past the art/excessive campiness. I want a FF tactics fix, damnit

I’m not into the anime stuff at all but I still think Red Magnus is hilarious for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I wish Gal Metal was a little more handholdy. Because I don't know how to drum, like, IRL. So when the song starts up and I have to drum I don't know what to do and just kinda flail around and end up passing purely because of how crazy low the required pass score is

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Definitely spend a few points every day to do solo practice, that's the only tutorial you get

Heath posted:

Deadly Premonition port? Please?

I bought the PC port when it came out a few years ago and let me tell you this is a monkey's paw you do not want to wish on

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really want DQ XI news for the switch, I could buy the PC version but I want to play on my couch and steam link is spotty.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

RandomFerret posted:

Definitely spend a few points every day to do solo practice, that's the only tutorial you get

But it's the only activity that doesn't raise your stats! The game actively disincentivizes practice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Elderbean posted:

I really want DQ XI news for the switch, I could buy the PC version but I want to play on my couch and steam link is spotty.

Steam version is a very good port. I enjoyed it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Anyone have any recos for 3rd party ethernet adapters? I want my smash online silky smooth but my wifi sucks, and the official one is kinda pricy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

Anyone have any recos for 3rd party ethernet adapters? I want my smash online silky smooth but my wifi sucks, and the official one is kinda pricy

Anything based on the AX88179 chipset will work identically to the official adapter, because that's what the official adapter is based on.

Take your pick: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=AX88179

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RandomFerret posted:

I bought the PC port when it came out a few years ago and let me tell you this is a monkey's paw you do not want to wish on

It’s not too bad on PC I thought, even before using mods. It was an absolute shitshow on PS3 though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tote up a bags posted:

If the game is p2p you'll be better off on wifi teleporting around the screen with the opponent. Wired up you lose that advantage

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok so the joycons... Are they like Super Wiimotes, with the equivalent of a Wii Motion Plus included, plus IR, plus analog controls?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok so the joycons... Are they like Super Wiimotes, with the equivalent of a Wii Motion Plus included, plus IR, plus analog controls?

Theres no eye attached to the tv so they need to be calibrated with a button press if they drift off center

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, they have all the sensors that a Wii Remote+ had and then some. Only one of them has an IR sensor, though, and no Switch games use the IR sensor as the basis for a pointer. It has NFC as well.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Why is there an ir sensor at all?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kly posted:

For virtual chewing minigames and labo, you know, the really popular stuff

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kly posted:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ElementaryFilthyGrebe.webm

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kly posted:

It can sense distance and angle, just not absolute position.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kly posted:

Nintendo only knows how to make consoles that are video game version of the Homer Simpson car.

It’s amazing what you can get away with if you consistently produce the best first party software in the industry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Gal Metal is so great in a bunch of ways. The comic style cutscenes are good, way better than, like, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. The characters are great, the writing is funny, the presentation is fantastic. But the actual music part of the gameplay kills me! It's completely open ended, you can do whatever you want. But there's scoring, so some of the stuff you can do is good and some is bad, and I can't tell the difference! I'm just drumming away and apparently I'm terrible, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or how to improve. The practice mode is useless, since it doesn't actually give you any feedback, like, "you're going too slow!" or something that could be helpful. And you don't even want to practice because every time you practice you lose a chance to upgrade your stats or talk to characters

If I want to get good at Gal Metal I'd have to actually learn how to drum. As a separate activity from playing the game, because the game has very little interest in teaching me how to drum.

But it doesn't matter because your drum playing ability doesn't actually effect your ability to progress through the game. Every ten minutes or so there's a song, I drum terribly, my performance was good enough to clear the song but from the way my score builds up I can tell that to actually fail I'd have to literally just not touch the screen at all, the game says "yeah you sucked at that" and it goes on to the next cutscene

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Nintendo only knows how to make consoles that are video game version of the Homer Simpson car.

It’s amazing what you can get away with if you consistently produce the best first party software in the industry.

Overpriced and full of features no one asked for was the XBone. Let's compare what happened there with Nintendo hmmmm

Wii u sorta fits in that same slot too tbf.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Kly posted:

So that your cardboard Labo spider can also have a mediocre night vision camera, of course.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Overpriced and full of features no one asked for was the XBone. Let's compare what happened there with Nintendo hmmmm

Wii u sorta fits in that same slot too tbf.

At least the gimmicky poo poo Nintendo does is actually fun when it’s used unlike the Kinect.:barf:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It’s just what Nintendo is. Getting angry about it would be like shouting at the wind.

I’d love to live in a world where we got more devices like the 2DS and less like the launch 3DS, but that’s not Nintendo’s business model. Hell, I’m ecstatic they actually released the 2DS at all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like them trying new stuff, even if it doesn’t always work out. Dumb experiments like these are how we got analog sticks, rumble, and gyro controls.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the wii u felt like a failed Switch experiment

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

the wii u felt like a failed Switch experiment

Yeah I feel you here. Almost all the flaws the Wii U had were fixed with the switch. It was a good console for the most part though by it had poo poo third party support that really hurt it in the long run.

Became a great VC though. Wish I could take my games from it and put them on the switch so it’d be even more outstanding.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else notice the switch's wifi range from the router is much smaller than other devices like phones and laptops? 2 rooms from router Phone gets full wifi bars where switch gets like 1 or 2.

Would love a stronger antenna on a new model

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Real hurthling! posted:

Anyone else notice the switch's wifi range from the router is much smaller than other devices like phones and laptops? 2 rooms from router Phone gets full wifi bars where switch gets like 1 or 2.

Would love a stronger antenna on a new model

How far we talking here? I plan on putting mine a good 30 feet away going through at least two walls.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kly posted:

Because Nintendo. And because it was cheap to put in and they wanted to see what people would do with it. If it works then it will make its way into the Dualshock 5. Seriously, with every new Nintendo console they go back to the drawing board of what a controller should be and experiment, coming up with something new. Nintendo experiment more than any other gaming company and we basically remember their successes but it's also how we end u p with the Virtual Boy. Nintendo main cotrollers for their consoles are shown below:

And for those who aren't aware the only sensible looking one in that list is the Wii U pro controller, and it looks sensible because it isn't the default controller. The standard Wii U controller is below.

The difference between the IR sensor and the Kinnect is that the kinnect probably cost $150 to make. And to agree with others, I think that the Switch was what the Nintendo hardware division wanted to create when they made the Wii U - which is why they started making the Switch basically as soon as a system-on-a-chip that was powerful enough and cheap enough turned up.

Edit: I'm not even slightly joking when I say the 2020 mid-generation upgrade to the Switch should be a literal mobile phone which runs about a dozen apps, and can take Switch carts as well as phone sims.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

How far we talking here? I plan on putting mine a good 30 feet away going through at least two walls.

Like 20 feet down the hall and around a corner

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Nintendo main cotrollers for their consoles are shown below:

And for those who aren't aware the only sensible looking one in that list is the Wii U pro controller, and it looks sensible because it isn't the default controller.

are you bad-mouthing the snes controller

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm an N64 man myself, with SNES coming a close second. People are weirdly religious about the GC controller but I never really got it. The massive triggers bothered me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

American McGay posted:

I'm an N64 man myself, with SNES coming a close second. People are weirdly religious about the GC controller but I never really got it. The massive triggers bothered me.
It's the ABXY button layout, basically. That's the entire reason. It's way more comfortable than the standard diamond but since everyone else had the diamond they had to give it up. On the gamecube you had a lot of multiplat games having slightly strange button layouts because they didn't consider the placement at all, just copied it from ps2 with X=A and so on.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Mario + Rabbids or valkyria Chronicles 4?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

strategery posted:

Mario + Rabbids or valkyria Chronicles 4?

If you played the original VC, 4 is basically the exact same so i'd go rabbids.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Looper posted:

are you bad-mouthing the snes controller

American McGay posted:

I'm an N64 man myself, with SNES coming a close second.

Are you guys for real? Everybody complained that the slidepad on the 3DS wasn't as good as a stick, but it sure is better than the nothing on the SNES pad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The snes not having analog sticks for 16 bit games isnt really an issue

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gripweed posted:

Are you guys for real? Everybody complained that the slidepad on the 3DS wasn't as good as a stick, but it sure is better than the nothing on the SNES pad

Nothing on the SNES needed analog sticks you dunce...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TaurusOxford posted:

Nothing on the SNES needed analog sticks

Well obviously, because they weren't available. Developers couldn't make games that needed analog sticks for the SNES. Which, IMO, was quite the limitation. We were just discussing how Nintendo loads it's controllers nowadays with all kinds of sensors and whatnot that will be used by only a handful of games. So, clearly, they learned their lesson from offering such extremely limited controllers with the NES and SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

neonchameleon posted:

Because Nintendo. And because it was cheap to put in and they wanted to see what people would do with it. If it works then it will make its way into the Dualshock 5. Seriously, with every new Nintendo console they go back to the drawing board of what a controller should be and experiment, coming up with something new. Nintendo experiment more than any other gaming company and we basically remember their successes but it's also how we end u p with the Virtual Boy. Nintendo main cotrollers for their consoles are shown below:

And for those who aren't aware the only sensible looking one in that list is the Wii U pro controller, and it looks sensible because it isn't the default controller. The standard Wii U controller is below.

The difference between the IR sensor and the Kinnect is that the kinnect probably cost $150 to make. And to agree with others, I think that the Switch was what the Nintendo hardware division wanted to create when they made the Wii U - which is why they started making the Switch basically as soon as a system-on-a-chip that was powerful enough and cheap enough turned up.

Edit: I'm not even slightly joking when I say the 2020 mid-generation upgrade to the Switch should be a literal mobile phone which runs about a dozen apps, and can take Switch carts as well as phone sims.

It's certainly not a fair complaint about nintendo, but I wish someone would make a 6 face button controller nowadays, only because there were some n64 games where a c-stick really doesn't work.