Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Meldonox posted:

Can you guys recommend a good VESA arm? I'm looking to have a 27" in the middle and probably my pair of 24" on the sides. I'd imagine these things aren't all created equal.

I have the AmazonBasics one. Works fine and I am satisfied with it. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Strong Sauce posted:

I have the AmazonBasics one. Works fine and I am satisfied with it. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O

seconding this

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
Looking to upgrade my primary gaming monitor but on a budget. Looking for something in the $150 - $250 range. Is the Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" mentioned in the OP still recommended or can I do better? Upgrading to a GTX 1060 video card.

Thanks.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Edit: gently caress I just read the last 4 pages of this thread which is what I should have done first. Sounds like I need a Acer Predator XB271HU...

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 24, 2018

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, the Samsung I originally chose sold out faster than I expected so I had to choose a different one. Went with the MAG27CQ from MSI instead. Should be more or less the same panel/features so it's not all bad. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

SabinBlitz posted:

Edit: gently caress I just read the last 4 pages of this thread which is what I should have done first. Sounds like I need a Acer Predator XB271HU...

I just caved and ordered one, almost 200 off regular price. Which still makes it quite a bit more expensive that what US goons have to pay, but gently caress it. Gonna wait for some deals on Monday to upgrade the rest of my system.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
While I can't find it on Acer's own website yet, a local retailer here (Sweden) is now listing the Acer XV273K - that is, the first 4k 144Hz IPS non-HDR monitor - as available for pre-order, shipping on December 20. When it was announced back in august they said "available Q4 2018" so I guess that's technically delivering on their promise. The XV273K is the freesync variant and the price is set at 9990 SEK including 25% VAT (around 970€). No sign of the G-sync variant (XB273K) yet though and that's the one I'm interested in. Really hope TFTCentral or Rtings or someone will review these soon.

Really, I'm only posting this because after the initial announcement in august we haven't heard or seen anything at all about these and I was kinda getting dubious they were actually going to be released.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 24, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there any reason for me to upgrade by BenQ v2400w from 2008 to a new bargain bin display? As in, has the technology advanced enough while the price has declined enough? I only use it as my secondary monitor now since I have a Predator.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

KingKapalone posted:

Is there any reason for me to upgrade by BenQ v2400w from 2008 to a new bargain bin display? As in, has the technology advanced enough while the price has declined enough? I only use it as my secondary monitor now since I have a Predator.

The requirements of a secondary display are (IMO) a static contrast ratio not significantly different (+/- ~15%) from the primary display, the ability to match the same brightness (excluding HDR), and matching white point. You can probably find a decent 60 Hz IPS that meets these requirements and is significantly better than your existing monitor. But depending on what your primary monitor is, you could end up with an IPS that looks *too* much better than the primary and it could bother you.

I've been there, I had a primary monitor with a 730:1 contrast next to a Dell U2412M that produces 1100:1 and it was quite noticeable. I swapped the primary for a screen that hits 960:1 and I can still see the difference, but it takes actually hunting for an image that brings it out in order to notice with the white point and brightness matched using an i1 Display Pro.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheFluff posted:

While I can't find it on Acer's own website yet, a local retailer here (Sweden) is now listing the Acer XV273K - that is, the first 4k 144Hz IPS non-HDR monitor - as available for pre-order, shipping on December 20. When it was announced back in august they said "available Q4 2018" so I guess that's technically delivering on their promise. The XV273K is the freesync variant and the price is set at 9990 SEK including 25% VAT (around 970€). No sign of the G-sync variant (XB273K) yet though and that's the one I'm interested in. Really hope TFTCentral or Rtings or someone will review these soon.

Really, I'm only posting this because after the initial announcement in august we haven't heard or seen anything at all about these and I was kinda getting dubious they were actually going to be released.

Are you playing older games that a 2080Ti can run at 4K 144hz? If you’re running newer games, it seems like a waste to get a 4K 144hz monitor when nothing can run newer games at those frames at 4K AND the early adopter tax is steep.

I mean, you do you. PC gaming is all about ridiculous choices (says the guy who has a 1080 Ti with an i5-4670k at stock clocks).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Howdy y'all, I'm looking for guidance; I've been narrowing my search to that 27"/1440p/144hz/IPS sweet spot that people have been talking about, and I found this Nixeus EDG for $350. It seems like a really good deal relatively, but is there something I'm missing that's bad about it? Do people not trust a lot of these manufacturers?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So, I prefer to play some games on my TV. Both my current TV and monitor are 1080p so it's simple, I just clone the screen. But when I get the new 1440p monitor and an UHD TV, what then? You can't use cloning with different resolutions, right? So I'll have to use extend. What about the games that won't let me select which screen I want to use them on?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mr. Neutron posted:

So, I prefer to play some games on my TV. Both my current TV and monitor are 1080p so it's simple, I just clone the screen. But when I get the new 1440p monitor and an UHD TV, what then? You can't use cloning with different resolutions, right? So I'll have to use extend. What about the games that won't let me select which screen I want to use them on?

Whatever screen you set as "Primary" is the screen where games that can't select a monitor will show up on.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

tehinternet posted:

Are you playing older games that a 2080Ti can run at 4K 144hz? If you’re running newer games, it seems like a waste to get a 4K 144hz monitor when nothing can run newer games at those frames at 4K AND the early adopter tax is steep.

I mean, you do you. PC gaming is all about ridiculous choices (says the guy who has a 1080 Ti with an i5-4670k at stock clocks).

Of course this is entirely impractical and ridiculous, yes. That said I don't really play AAA titles at all and the games I do play are usually less graphically demanding ones. What I actually really want is something like 4k/100Hz with G-sync, and I want G-sync more than I want high refresh rate, but that is not a thing that exists. I could've gone for 4k/60Hz with G-sync but at that point G-sync just seems silly. Currently I use 4k/60Hz with no variable framerate with a GTX 1080 (non-Ti) and it's fine for what I do. I'm not sure I'll actually go for this monitor either, it'll depend on reviews and whether I'm feeling dumb enough to throw away well over a grand.

Also, the usual benchmark numbers aren't entirely fair to 4k framerates, because you can usually turn down quality a fair bit further than you can at 1440p before it starts becoming noticeable. You don't really need to run at ultra high settings.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 24, 2018

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Indiana_Krom posted:

Whatever screen you set as "Primary" is the screen where games that can't select a monitor will show up on.

Right. And what about resolution? Can TVs handle lower than native?

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Thoughts on the HP Omen 27" monitor? It's $350 in-store at Walmart, and I'm wondering if it's worth the drive out there to pick it up. I don't like the gamer 'aesthetic' but it seems to be pretty minimal on this one. And yes, I know it's a TN panel, but I don't if that's worth the comprise when other 27" monitors with IPS panels are about $200 more.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mr. Neutron posted:

Right. And what about resolution? Can TVs handle lower than native?

Most TVs should, but you can always do the scaling on the gpu.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a $720 AW3418DW from eBay? I've been thinking how awesome that monitor would be since I upgraded to a 1080 and can only drive one of my 1440p QNIX monitors correctly, but the high price tag has kept me from pulling the trigger til now. This seems like a single monitor that is still an actual upgrade over a pair of QNIXs, and definitely better than the single QNIX I'm running now.

My 1080 only has one DVI port and my QNIXs turned out to be pretty finicky requiring the fancy expensive active converters, what a bummer! I was planning on using them for many more years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Delta-Wye posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a $720 AW3418DW from eBay? I've been thinking how awesome that monitor would be since I upgraded to a 1080 and can only drive one of my 1440p QNIX monitors correctly, but the high price tag has kept me from pulling the trigger til now. This seems like a single monitor that is still an actual upgrade over a pair of QNIXs, and definitely better than the single QNIX I'm running now.

My 1080 only has one DVI port and my QNIXs turned out to be pretty finicky requiring the fancy expensive active converters, what a bummer! I was planning on using them for many more years.

It's arguably the best gaming monitor you can buy at the moment and it's cheaper than it's ever been. Go for it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Does anyone pair a regular 1440 27" with a 34" uw? I have dual 1440 27s and I think I'll miss the real estate going to a single 34

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey guys, thanks for the monitor and arm advice. I've got alerts set up for the models of monitor I should look for, and I'll probably pull the trigger on the new desk I want within the next week and an arm shortly after that. I was looking at the reviews on the arm though and come on, which one of you dorks did this?

Also I wasn't in a huge hurry but a good deal on a monitor can't come soon enough. My old primary monitor just started doing this weird thing where if I power it on it'll show a picture for about a second and a half, drop into standby, repeat until I've power cycled it a bunch of times, and then it's fine until it's turned off or in standby for any length of time. I'm not sure what if anything I can do to fix that, but it sure has me rethinking my triple monitor setup.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

Link?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-AW3418DW-34-Curved-WQHD-4ms-120Hz-NVIDIA-G-Sync-Gaming-Monitor/382291335699?epid=242723644

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

"List price: $1,499.99" :eyepop:

One of the reasons I haven't been so keen on one of those things myself is that it's absurdly expensive here, like the equivalent of 1200€ or so. It's been at that price point basically since launch, dunno why it hasn't gotten any cheaper.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Welp, I bought one. It seems to be new on Newegg's site directly for $979 still, I'm not sure why it's so cheap via eBay. Hopefully I didn't make a poor purchasing decision thread!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Delta-Wye posted:

Welp, I bought one. It seems to be new on Newegg's site directly for $979 still, I'm not sure why it's so cheap via eBay. Hopefully I didn't make a poor purchasing decision thread!

Why would you do that. eBay Newegg is still Newegg... it's cheap because of BF

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Delta-Wye posted:

It's an absolutely amazing monitor, and if it's your first ultrawide, it'll take a few days to train your field of vision. At first you'll be moving your head, and that'll be discombobulating, but eventually you'll learn to move your eyes, and once you get the right distance dialed in, you'll rarely have to do that. I'm using the TFTCentral INF and brightness/contrast settings.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Delta-Wye posted:

Ordered mine yesterday morning and it was delivered today. Just finished setting it up like an hour ago and it looks amazing! No dead pixels, no problems. Now, my only challenge is finding wallpapers of the UltraWide variety.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

UchihaHirou posted:

Ordered mine yesterday morning and it was delivered today. Just finished setting it up like an hour ago and it looks amazing! No dead pixels, no problems. Now, my only challenge is finding wallpapers of the UltraWide variety.

Here are a few I made - not sure if you're into planes, but they fill up the screen nicely: https://imgur.com/a/hXOvaJV

And another one I used for a while:

And: https://www.reddit.com/r/WidescreenWallpaper/

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I recently switched from using a DVI cable forever to trying out DisplayPort. The digital signal is theoretically the same, correct? Are you supposed to recalibrate the monitor if you switch cables?

The DisplayPort image looks very different, brightness and saturation are way higher, colors are weird (skin tones look orange), and it's causing some weird eyestrain like I'm using a CRT monitor. None of the settings on the monitor have changed, I only switched cables.

I'm using a GTX 670, Dell U2412M, and this cable if it matters.

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

Ordered this on Thursday, received it yesterday. Took a while to setup, had to do some re-arranging of my desk to fit my 2-monitor + laptop setup.

Looks amazing, totally worth it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Cabling matters for display port. Get something VESA certified. Amazon basics or club3d are good

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Former Human posted:

I recently switched from using a DVI cable forever to trying out DisplayPort. The digital signal is theoretically the same, correct? Are you supposed to recalibrate the monitor if you switch cables?

The DisplayPort image looks very different, brightness and saturation are way higher, colors are weird (skin tones look orange), and it's causing some weird eyestrain like I'm using a CRT monitor. None of the settings on the monitor have changed, I only switched cables.

I'm using a GTX 670, Dell U2412M, and this cable if it matters.

The digital signal is very different (DVI is basically digital VGA while DisplayPort uses data packets like a network), but the image reaching the display controller should be the same. I'd bet what you're experiencing is one or both of the following:

1. Display has per-input settings, so any customized settings you had on DVI need to be re-applied.
2. PC sees it as a different display, so any customized settings or calibration profiles you had set up on the PC end need to be re-applied.

The third possibility is that your monitor's DisplayPort support is wonky and is doing something wrong, but that's very unlikely if it's a name brand of any kind.

Cables do matter, there's a common problem with cables having a power pin connected that they're not supposed to which causes lots of problems, but that wouldn't cause this.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the earlier advice, ended up grabbing a XB271HKb to go with a 1070 (had a GTX 770 and the 1070 was on a pretty significant discount, also didn't feel like paying the RTX tax :v:). I figure even if the 1070 can't max out those 144hz, it should still be great with gsync, and 1440p is probably the sweet spot for the next few years for me.

Now, to figure out a retirement plan for my 770 and old secondary monitor.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm starting to wish I'd gotten that big ultrawide monitor you guys were looking at. It's not that much more than the 27" panels I've been looking for. Shame it appears to be out of stock.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I'm starting to wish I'd gotten that big ultrawide monitor you guys were looking at. It's not that much more than the 27" panels I've been looking for. Shame it appears to be out of stock.

I was thinking the same thing initially, and i think it’s a tough call if you have a 1070 or better, but with my 1060 having the lower resolution and a dedicated second monitor isn’t a bad deal for $300 less.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone have the faintest idea why my new LG 27UD68-W monitor keeps intermittently having horizontal green bars flicker across its surface? Only happens when I'm running two monitors so I don't think it's the LG's problem, and it only happens on the LG, never the other monitor. Feels like it would be happening on both monitors if it were a problem with my GPU.

It's a pain in the rear end.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you can, swap the cables and see if that does anything. Cables are surprisingly dumb, especially DP ones.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone have the faintest idea why my new LG 27UD68-W monitor keeps intermittently having horizontal green bars flicker across its surface? Only happens when I'm running two monitors so I don't think it's the LG's problem, and it only happens on the LG, never the other monitor. Feels like it would be happening on both monitors if it were a problem with my GPU.

It's a pain in the rear end.

Can you swap cables? Cable quality matters a lot when you're moving more pixels than 1080p, and there is a lot of garbage out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cable swapping didn't work, but it did give me an idea: Both of my monitors are now 4K capable (I'm getting rid of an old secondary to make my new monitor my primary) and setting my new secondary monitor to render at 'just' 1440p like my old secondary monitor had seems to have cleaned up the flickering on my main, and there isn't any particular reason for me to need 4K on it and my main at the same time. Guess I was just outputting too many pixels at once. So, that's fine.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 27, 2018