Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Why is Embers so much work for so little reward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TalonDemonKing posted:

Yeah there was a time that Embers got a lot of love but it's...needlessly opaque, which is also my problem with Botania. The trick with Botania is that it's not nearly as bad, and has a lot more to offer.

Embers is just a series of really complicated steps to do really basic stuff. It might work well in a modpack that focused on it for early game stuff, but stuff like the ash transmutation is cool in principle, frustrating in practice. I believe the Embers guy also really doesn't like feedback and has thrown some massive fits before because people liked COFH better.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TalonDemonKing posted:

It's mostly complicated crafting mechanisms for things to make more complicated crafting mechanisms. It doesn't really have anything useful outside of its own little world.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Does anyone have a good method for autocrafting terrasteel through AE or RS? Dropping the materials on the agglomeration plate is easy, but the hard part is making sure only one set of materials is dropped at a time when you want to craft more than one terrasteel.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's mostly complicated crafting mechanisms for things to make more complicated crafting mechanisms. It doesn't really have anything useful outside of its own little world.
This is like 90% of minecraft tech (or magitech) mods.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not a whole lot of mods integrate well into the actual core game itself, and often seem rather bolted on. They are supposed to accentuate, not ignore or overpower the gameplay.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

What little time I have spent screwing around with Embers has made me seriously consider pulling it from my private mod pack. Its just so freaking hard to figure out. At 199 mods I feel that I should take something out... might as well be a mod that is too opaque to really use. I like TE, I like IE, I even understand EnderIO. Even Astral Sorcery and Botania make sense. But Embers just feels obtuse.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 23, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Does anyone have a good method for autocrafting terrasteel through AE or RS? Dropping the materials on the agglomeration plate is easy, but the hard part is making sure only one set of materials is dropped at a time when you want to craft more than one terrasteel.

You'll need more than just AE.

The way I did it last was fairly convoluted, but ended up working well.

- First, connect an interface to a chest, just like you normally would.
- The recipe needs to have the normal items (mana pearl, diamond, steel) plus one useless item. Doesn't matter what it is, I used cobblestone.
- The chest needs to have two ducts on it. One leads to an open crate above the agglomeration plate, and is always on. Blacklist your useless item (cobble for me). The other pipe leads back into the interface - whitelist your useless item. This pipe needs to require a redstone signal, and it needs to be slow (e.g. base servo from TD). If the pipe is fast, it'll end up sucking out the next set of terrasteel ingredients, which is bad.
- Put the interface in blocking mode. This prevents the interface from adding anything to the chest if it still has any items in it, this is important to prevent overflow
- Put a comparator on the agglomeration plate, this outputs a signal while crafting
- Create a redstone falling edge detector. This will vary by pack, or you can use vanilla redstone if you're brave. I used computercraft. This will detect when the signal from the comparator goes from 1 to 0, indicating that the craft is complete, then will output a pulse.
- Connect your falling edge detector to the pipe that shoves out your useless item - It'll get a pulse when crafting is finished, get rid of the cobblestone, then the chest will be empty and free to accept items for the next craft.
- And of course, something to pick up the terrasteel. Hopperhock or vacuumulator are perfect here.

So pretty complex! I have some ideas for compacting this design, but I need to experiment with them before I know it'll work. This one was tricky to automate, much more so even than the runic altar, which is surprising.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Using corporea is a good way to automate terrasteel. It's unwieldy for most things, but one thing it excels at is precisely requisitioning items from an arbitrarily large pool of items.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BadMedic posted:

How about an interface that is set to keep all 9 ingredients in stock? Then you could just have a servo pulling out of the interface.

Aww crap I forgot how that works. I'm assuming you're meaning to do that thing where you make an ME interface that can store up to 64 of various items, right? Can a servo pull from that?

As a side note, an export bus with two acceleration cards and two capacity cards, set to round robin scheduling, only output two different seeds at a time to the actual bioreactor. It looked instantaneous to a chest, but not into the actual device.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wouldn't pulling from that ME interface cause some of the same problems? I guess it'd be fine if it never ran out of anything and thus the bioreactor was able to keep a stack of everything at all times, so the servo would just replenish stacks as they were consumed instead of getting stuck on one kind of item.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I hate how so many fuckin modpacks make Immersive Engineering your "stage zero" tech mod. It's just "grind for a coke oven, wait, grind for a blast furnace, wait, then move on."

I want to play a pack where this mod, which forces you to wait forever, is either mid or endgame. Make treated wood difficult, but make the power gen for the windmill/water wheel way high. Let the big-rear end crusher that requires a bunch of resources triple production. I just get so loving tired of this being where you have to start, because I tend to skip more than half the mod because of its resource requirements and when I can afford the bits I skipped, I've got smaller and faster machines that do the same job better with less lag.

If I wasn't so busy with other poo poo in life I'd make a heavily modified pack where Botania is your starting place (ie, chuck ores into mana to come close to ore doubling), the usual Tinkers tool system is replaced with Silent's Gems, and the tech focus is more using stuff like Prodigy Tech. I'd kill for Aura Cascade to be properly updated to 1.12, but that mod's just too ugly with too little payoff to really inspire modders to update it well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Whalley posted:

I hate how so many fuckin modpacks make Immersive Engineering your "stage zero" tech mod. It's just "grind for a coke oven, wait, grind for a blast furnace, wait, then move on."
I tend to read "Immersive Engineering" as "Intermediate Engineering" in quest books on accident because that's the context it's always in.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I tend to read "Immersive Engineering" as "Intermediate Engineering" in quest books on accident because that's the context it's always in.
Yeah, basically that. It's never a goal, just a standby until you've made the machines you actually want. Usually, that just means waiting in Immersive Engineering until you've made enough steel to make the machine case that another mod's better way of producing steel is gated behind.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It actually surprised me to learn that Extreme Reactors needs absolutely zero power for any of the reactor components! Pretty much just Iron, Coal, and some Redstone.

Talking of Steel, in several mod packs there's tricky secret ways of making Steel. The 1.10.2 pack for eg, you turn 1 Iron ingot into 9 Iron nuggets, then you smelt the 9 Iron nuggets into 9 Steel nuggets, then turn those into 1 Steel ingot! Which is almost sensible as all you're doing is adding carbon to Iron.

There used to be tons of backdoor ways to do things, like making Blizz Powder by adding destabilized redstone to snowballs.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 23, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Wouldn't pulling from that ME interface cause some of the same problems? I guess it'd be fine if it never ran out of anything and thus the bioreactor was able to keep a stack of everything at all times, so the servo would just replenish stacks as they were consumed instead of getting stuck on one kind of item.

Maybe. I'm just trying to remember how to do that "use an ME interface as virtual chest" thing since I think that was the idea. One perk it would have--if it works--is scaling down nine different containers into just one.

Of course, a lot of this isn't necessary if you can flood the bioreactor with enough of all the different seeds that there isn't a chance of having a glut that reduces efficiency.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know everyone's talked about how slow and unfun bees are, but I didn't know how bad it was until I tried one of these "only bees" tutorial packs. I think I've been playing for like 10 hours and my bees are putting out combs or basic-level items maybe once every other breeding cycle if I'm lucky.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know everyone's talked about how slow and unfun bees are, but I didn't know how bad it was until I tried one of these "only bees" tutorial packs. I think I've been playing for like 10 hours and my bees are putting out combs or basic-level items maybe once every other breeding cycle if I'm lucky.

are you using apiaries with frames

because bee houses and frameless apiaries will output gently caress all

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

are you using apiaries with frames

because bee houses and frameless apiaries will output gently caress all
Nope! Because I need to wait for my Wispy bees to decide to create the item I need to run through the centrifuge to create the item I need three of to create one string.

Oh, that's assuming the item doesn't get stuck in the centrifuge and generate nothing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nope! Because I need to wait for my Wispy bees to decide to create the item I need to run through the centrifuge to create the item I need three of to create one string.

Oh, that's assuming the item doesn't get stuck in the centrifuge and generate nothing.

ABORT ABORT ABORT UNINSTALL PACK

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I ended up enjoying the unmodified Forestry bee experience a lot, but I certainly think making it any more tedious than that is cruel. :shobon:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

UH

I sure hope you have like 50 apiaries...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

McFrugal posted:

UH

I sure hope you have like 50 apiaries...
The pack gives you only one queen of each type. So no.

e: unless I can just make more queens, but the quest guide doesn't say how, and I can't progress until I get 4 string.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is Refined Storage just a clone of Applied Energistics 2? Any function difference?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Heffer posted:

Is Refined Storage just a clone of Applied Energistics 2? Any function difference?

It's more like a fork of AE1. So I don't think it gets into the crystal growing and doesn't deal with network device topology limitations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Heffer posted:

It's mostly a clone, yeah. It took out some of the more esoteric mechanics (crystals, channels), which some people like. Personally I think some of the crafting stuff in AE2 is bad, but I love channels. But if you don't like channels they can be turned off in the config.

The real problem with RS is that it is an absolute disaster in comparison to AE, code wise. AE2 has been since its creation on of the most meticulously optimized mods, and will never be a source of TPS lag no matter how huge you make it. RS on the other hand is a huge laggy beast that can bring servers to their knees, since it was just a poor recreation by people without the same coding chops. To be fair though, AlrorithmX2 (the AE2 dev) is a machine and consistently writes incredible code, he also wrote chisel & bits.

Additionally RS does a worse job with some automation mechanics, and gets rid of the idea of "subnets", which are really cool and useful even if you have channels disabled.

Basically its a bad recreation. Just use AE2. If you hate channels, turn them off, if you hate the weird crafting steps, create recipes to get around them. I have a bunch I created for Progress if you want a starting point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Evil Mastermind posted:

uhhhhhh i don't know what hellish pack this is but this is taking what's generally only just a slightly tedious set of mods and making them sound like a kick in the groin. doing it normally means you should really easily be able to get basic frames at the absolute least.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

ABORT ABORT ABORT UNINSTALL PACK

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Refined Storage with the extra Reborn Storage mods such as AE1 style CPU was a god send when AE2 first came out because it was unfinished, with out auto crafting, and channels was new and confusing. But now I could use either. I'll agree about the RS TPS lag though. Easily noticeable when your factories are processing 1000's of every type of ore per second.

[edit] Which one has the fastest Export and Import buses?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 25, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: unless I can just make more queens, but the quest guide doesn't say how, and I can't progress until I get 4 string.

Jesus loving christ.

Can you make artificial hives? Or outright create some of the base hives somehow? Or ANY hives really? You could obviously just breed a species into existing queens, but if you only have one of each type you can't afford to do that. So you need extra queens even if they're trash species.
Uh, you are getting extra drones right?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Has anyone had problems using Embers' Item Transfer?

I'm playing Exoria, and I'm trying to sort through all the items that you get from sieves/strainers. I have a bunch of barrels set up and an item transfer set up for each with the item I want to go into the barrel, but when I turn on the item extractor, it doesn't seem to actually filter the items. I have an overflow chest set up and everything just gets pumped into there instead. I'd rather not use buildcraft pipes, but at this point, I may not have a choice.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
...I wasn't aware Refined Storage even existed until 1.10 when AE2 lagged a bit updating from 1.7.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I'm playing Exoria, and I'm trying to sort through all the items that you get from sieves/strainers. I have a bunch of barrels set up and an item transfer set up for each with the item I want to go into the barrel, but when I turn on the item extractor, it doesn't seem to actually filter the items. I have an overflow chest set up and everything just gets pumped into there instead. I'd rather not use buildcraft pipes, but at this point, I may not have a choice.

Did you mean the Item Pipe? I don't know what logic they follow as far as priority is concerned. It's probably something stupid though since it's embers. Buildcraft pipes will work just fine for the system you're describing, just put insertion pipes next to barrels and chests and you won't have any items popping out. Insertion pipes are actually smart about that.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the pack you're playing called? In case I'm feeling masochistic

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you're gonna do bees, do it in a pack with other mods that let you occasionally sidestep some bullshit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Can you make artificial hives? Or outright create some of the base hives somehow? Or ANY hives really? You could obviously just breed a species into existing queens, but if you only have one of each type you can't afford to do that. So you need extra queens even if they're trash species.
Uh, you are getting extra drones right?
I can't make any hives so I have to wait for the quests to give them to me. And yeah, I'm getting drones but there's nothing to do in this pack except wait for bees to decide to give me resources.

greententacle posted:

What's the pack you're playing called? In case I'm feeling masochistic
Mendel's Bees.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Man those Woot Factories might be a little overpowered. Just a little.

I have so much Draconium Dust going into 60 Mekanism Elite Smelting Factories and I'm still gaining extra Draconium Dust!

Oh, and another downside about Refined Storage? If your RS Controller uses 32,000 rf/t, (it's entire internal energy storage) in a single tick, it shuts down. Luckily I can use all these Infinity Ingots to make a creative controller!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

My experience with ember's pipes leads me to believe they aren't very smart. I had a grid of vacuum hoppers setup to collect saplings from leaf decay in my treefarm, and when I connected all the branches I got alot of unpredictable behavior, the only way it worked out well was setting the pipes up point to point with no branching using intermediate chests & extractors at all junctions. Seconding BC pipes in the early game then TE ducts when you can.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

Um. Mobs can't spawn? Normally you'd just kill some spiders for string...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So hey a warning for people who want to torture themselves with that bees pack I mentioned before.

There's a gating quest where you need to get your bees to generate 12 silky wisps, which you turn into 4 string, which the quest requires you to turn into a wool.

Doing this unlocks an optional quest to create a spiderweb tree, which requires another 9 wisps for 3 string. Too bad you turned your string into wool and you can't change it back!

So learn from me: just make spiderweb trees as soon as you can.

I also just found out that there's a quest category way the hell at the bottom of the book called "marketplace" where you can get hives and poo poo in exchange for honey capsules. Why did you hide that? :argh:

e:

Ambaire posted:

Um. Mobs can't spawn? Normally you'd just kill some spiders for string...
Oh, they can spawn. But the quest specifically needs the wisps.

e2: For some reason, my skyblock spawners never seem to produce tons of monsters. I'm lucky if I get a spider every 15 minutes.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote not edit etc.