Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Sounds like he made an rear end out of him and her, that's what he gets for assherhiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Baronjutter posted:

I've had a bunch of american relatives come up here and marvel at how easy it is to actually split up bills. Like everyone just can ask for "their own bill" and everyone actually is charged for the things they ordered. Is this some how not standard throughout the US?

Even in big gatherings, they'll just ask "separate or together?" and can group together couples or do anything you want. "Split the food evenly and everyone pay for their own drinks but the dessert will be on these 3 peoples bill" and it's no problem at all, computers do it all. Then everyone gets a wireless debit card machine and pays by card.
It's not like there's some insuperable difficulty, but waiters usually get pissy if you didn't ask for separate checks in advance, or if it's something complicated like your example

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not like there's some insuperable difficulty, but waiters usually get pissy if you didn't ask for separate checks in advance, or if it's something complicated like your example

Yep.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
“Together” or “separate” always means “you splitting the total” or “do you each want separate checks for what you ordered”. Restaurant POS systems have servers ring up orders by seat, it’s literally a matter of clicking a different option when you print the bills. I don’t think anybody gets pissy like that.

Do you all just bring cash and pitch in for the person who puts in on their card every time you go out?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

I've had a bunch of american relatives come up here and marvel at how easy it is to actually split up bills. Like everyone just can ask for "their own bill" and everyone actually is charged for the things they ordered. Is this some how not standard throughout the US?

Even in big gatherings, they'll just ask "separate or together?" and can group together couples or do anything you want. "Split the food evenly and everyone pay for their own drinks but the dessert will be on these 3 peoples bill" and it's no problem at all, computers do it all. Then everyone gets a wireless debit card machine and pays by card.

Have you ever served a 20 top?

E of adults and children switching seats. And others ordering drinks for other people. And ordering poo poo from the bar for your table that runs on a separate till, and...

People are self centered assholes when they go out to eat.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 25, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tetramin posted:

“Together” or “separate” always means “you splitting the total” or “do you each want separate checks for what you ordered”. Restaurant POS systems have servers ring up orders by seat, it’s literally a matter of clicking a different option when you print the bills. I don’t think anybody gets pissy like that.

Do you all just bring cash and pitch in for the person who puts in on their card every time you go out?

Do you think we're all lying to you or something?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tetramin posted:

I know what "together or separate" means, but they don't always ask. Changing after the fact, or that complicated example, does make waiters huffy imo.

I haven't gone out with this specific group a bunch, but when I'm in a group that does split evenly, sometimes one person puts it on their card and other people pay them cash, or more often, everyone gives the waiter their card and says "split it X ways."

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you think we're all lying to you or something?

Yeah

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sucks to live in your mind, then? :shrug:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Baronjutter posted:

that wireless debit card machine thing / computerized ordering in restaurants is science fiction in the us except in la guardia airport and the restaurant chain "chilis". most restaurants keep track of orders by writing illegible scribbles on pieces of paper.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Odd posted:

What if you are not, in fact, worth six quarters? This is a real thing

$1.50 a drink? Whichever side of the date spotted this deal deserves to be paid for. That's a savings hound keeper, right there

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

that wireless debit card machine thing / computerized ordering in restaurants is science fiction in the us except in la guardia airport and the restaurant chain "chilis". most restaurants keep track of orders by writing illegible scribbles on pieces of paper.

This, but in their head if they want a raise. Also, the cards go back to the back room to get skimmed. This ain’t Canada for gods sake.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We definitely could all be lying, if course.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Can a workplace say you can not use the “mothers room” if you are a guy?

Go jack off in the men's room, you stupid contrarian gently caress!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

To be fair there's a lot of internet chatter about going into dating apps for free dinners so it's not hugely surprising someone would see the buildup and conclude it was heading in the obvious direction. In terms of ratios there's prolly way more suckers than there are people who owned themselves over "and everyone stood up and clapped" level stories.

Well I don’t know I think the chick is kind of a PIECE of poo poo for assuming the restaraunt would naturally split the bill because that’s a huge pain in the rear end for the staff and a total dick move if it’s anything fancier than a frischs big boy. :shrug:

I would have gave the waitress a 50 dollar tip to take his meal off the check and tell him “children eat free here.”

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 25, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Catalina posted:

r/relationships: my wife - the love of my life, the mother of my son - attempting to catch my turd in her mouth

Too long sorry

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This has probably been resolved already but no rape/abuse stories you weirdos.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
e: whoops

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wtf

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

sorry I'm on drugs

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Stevie Lee posted:

sorry I'm on drugs

Hope you brought enough to share.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ArbitraryC posted:

To be fair there's a lot of internet chatter about going into dating apps for free dinners so it's not hugely surprising someone would see the buildup and conclude it was heading in the obvious direction. In terms of ratios there's prolly way more suckers than there are people who owned themselves over "and everyone stood up and clapped" level stories.
The worst outcome here is that you get stuck with half the bill as the price of getting out of the date. All things considered, this is pretty cheap.

OP recognizes this and is bracing to pay that tax, but then he decides for some reason to blow up at her before even seeing if she lets him pay the whole bill.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I’ve lived in the US my entire life and have never encountered this weird “splitting the bill” thing wtf. We all just pay for our own poo poo. :psyduck:

I’ve never lived east of Colorado, is it an east coast thing?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Depressio111117 posted:

I’ve lived in the US my entire life and have never encountered this weird “splitting the bill” thing wtf. We all just pay for our own poo poo. :psyduck:

If you share apps and get entrees and drinks that are roughly equitable it's just easier to be like "we both owe $30" or whatever.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Depressio111117 posted:

In my life, I've done four things with shared restaurant bills:

- splitting the bill equally
- splitting the bill by item
- getting separate checks
- paying for the whole thing and saying 'you get the next one'

All of them can work as long as you're clear with people upfront about how you're gonna pay. The problem isn't how you do it, it's not knowing how until the check is on the table.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 25, 2018

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nae! posted:

in my life i've done four things with shared restaurant bills:

- splitting the bill equally
- splitting the bill by item
- getting separate checks
- paying for the whole thing and saying 'you get the next one'

all of them can work as long as you're clear with people upfront about how you're gonna pay. the problem isn't how you do it, it's not knowing until the check is on the table.

My child, you have lived in sin. You must atone, you must denounce Applebee’s from your life and pursue the noble path of fuddruckers. :gbsmith:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

quote:

/r/relationshits: I started pushing but found it difficult to poo poo on my wife
:golfclap:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I feel like I generally split the bill evenly, and if the group has widely differing incomes, the highest earners end up splitting it. Separate checks are a pain in the rear end if you have a large-ish party. I'm in NYC.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll have to add "unable to split up bills properly" to "figure out trash collection" and "maintain the subway" for things new york can't figure out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I live in goddamn Alabama and we have proper bill-separating technology.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah but you're in Alabama, it's not like anyone actually has anything better to do than argue about how to split checks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Baronjutter posted:

I'll have to add "unable to split up bills properly" to "figure out trash collection" and "maintain the subway" for things new york can't figure out.
I think it's more a social convention than a what restaurants are willing to do - asking for individual itemized bills when you both have similar amounts of money comes off as a little miserly, especially if its a group you go out with regularly and it'll all about even out in the long run. :shrug:

I empathize with Anne's point especially because I'm generally not one to buy expensive drinks but it still generally works out.

ManofMoosh
Mar 11, 2008
banana

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
1 couple, 1 cup

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm pretty sure most places with a POS system do. That being said, if you have a group of diners I wouldn't expect the waiter/waitress to gently caress around assigning each individual cover unless they were particularly OCD about it or the group specifically asked. Just slam it all on one cover and be done, they have other poo poo to do.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (23F) found a box with my abuser's things at parent's place. Unsure if returning them is the right thing to do.

To make a long story semi-long, I was in an abusive relationship around 4 years ago with a very controlling, angry, and manipulative person that has had long-term effects on my relationships since. I currently see a therapist about this and other anxieties and only recently started to feel truly free.

About a year after the breakup I very publicly outed this person for their behaviour and as a result they were outcast by many mutual friends, acquaintances and even some of the wider community.

The guy absolutely hates my guts, and blames me for everything. I've bumped into a couple of his few remaining friends to receive nasty looks & cold shoulders over the past few years.

Cut to yesterday, I was digging around my parent's place and found several old items that belong to them. These are items that would be impossible to replace and I know they have priceless sentimental value.

While I will never forgive my abuser for the way I was treated in my relationship (and subsequently, treated after), abusers are people too and deserve to recover sentimental items. It feels wrong to just throw them away. I do not feel right keeping them.

My concern about returning these items is inciting some kind of angry reaction from them, or worse, giving this person the impression that I'm trying to get their attention, taunt them or otherwise rub it in. Like I said, they blame me for everything. They are prone to obsessive behaviour.

Given all of these factors, understanding "the right thing" here has been difficult. So, I'm looking for Reddit's advice. Note, if I were to return the items, it would be through mail and with as little personal information as possible.

TL;DR: Found a box of my abuser's items at parent's house. Unsure about returning them out of fear of provoking some kind of reaction, but it's been several years and I know how important these are.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [30 M] with my partner [25 F] of 5 years- open relationship is causing fights.

My GF and I have always had a healthy relationship, good communication and a fulfilling sex life. A couple of years ago, we had a baby, she gained a lot of weight and it affected our sex life. Months after the baby, I got in a pretty serious accident which impaired my ability to perform in bed... so our otherwise satisfying sex life sort of took a double hit.

While she was supportive at first, I found she become more critical of our sex life (or lack thereof) as she started losing the baby weight. I would try and keep her satisfied in other ways but she ultimately decided it was unfair for her to sacrifice her libido. I was initially against it, and it took me A LOT of convincing, but I ultimately agreed to open up our relationship as per her request.

She started seeing a couple of guys who at first were eager but ultimately cooled on her after a few months. This time was hard for me because I quickly found there weren't many women eager about my situation (both my relationship status and the impact my injury had sexually). I managed to meet a few girls but things never really worked out. My gf on the other hand was starting to find it difficult finding guys who were interested in sticking around for longer than a couple weeks, I could tell this annoyed her but she was still happy with the attention she got.

Flash forward to this summer, I'd been talking to a new girl for a while, we'd been completely platonic (no sex, no kissing, albeit there was a lot of touching, ie hand holding, back rubbing etc etc). New girl ultimately told me she was falling for me. Through this whole process my gf and I had kept our communication clear and open, she initially did not have any issues with New girl.

At some point, New girl suggested we become sexual, I balked at the suggestion as I didn't want my struggles with sex hurting out connection. She ultimately convinced me to go about overcoming my issues in an indirect route. She insisted I be a part of her sex life and we agree to find other couples to play together with. We met a few awkward couples but eventually found one we clicked with, the few experiences with them helped me regain a lot of my sexual confidence.

This is where things started to get complicated with my relationship. At some point, New girl thought it would be good for my confidence to get some one on one time with a girl (I was still anxious to be alone with her and my gf and I really weren't being sexual anymore). She suggested I hoop up with the female half of the couple but they declined, so in turn, New girl found me a solo girl to hook up with. The three of us met up a few times to just hang out and party, she was aware of the whole situation and one night, things happened between the third and I, New girl left, and the third and I eventually wound up having sex. It was great, I was totally functional and entirely in the moment.

I told my gf about it and she seemed happy at first but I'm not sure if she was just putting on a face. New girl on the other hand was ecstatic, we wound up meeting the three of us and all had a great time... eventually things settled down and New girl and I have been able to have some pretty great sex together (both solo and with others too).

This is really when my gf started having major issues, both with me being with others and especially with New girl... I've literally had sex with 5 people since this whole thing started over a year ago, while my girlfriend has slept with 5 guys, last month alone. I've never kept tally of who or how many times she's had sex outside of our relationship but I feel I'm not getting the same freedom. I prefer not knowing, she talks about it a little which I'm fine but tell her to keep the details out of it. We agreed this for her too but she'll keep pushing for details, and when I tell her, she gets angry and punishes me/takes it out on me and our child (I won't explain how, but it's things a mother shouldn't be doing, simply out of spite).

I get she may be insecure and I try to remind her she is the mother of my child, I'm a great dad and my family means heaps to me. Ultimately I feel my gf is trying to make things so uncomfortable for me I stop seeing New girl, but my gf has also stated several times she has no interest in giving up her sexual freedom (she calls it her sexual autonomy, but i don't agree with that term, sexuality isn't at all autonomous as it requires the consent of two or more people, it's larger than ONE individual and their desires).

I say this much because I feel my gf has an unhealthy relationship with sex. She makes a lot of it about herself. She wants the freedom to sleep with whomever she wants but gets jealous when I do the same. She wants the comfort of a committed relationship but gets angry at guys who bail on her cuz she's not in a relationship. She'll feel entitled to have sex with whatever guy she finds attractive but will take it out on me if these guys don't show interest in her (ie blame me and our relationship).

It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough. I've tried talking to her about it, but i feel our once strong communication has devolved into a speedway, arguments just whizzing by like they're on a race track.

TL:DR

gf and i have a kid, poo poo happened and our sex life suffered so we opened it up re: her request and my reluctance. She didn't have any issues when things wer e in her favor but I met a girl who has been really good for my sexual confidence and now my gf is giving me grief over it while taking out her lack of satisfaction regarding her sex life. To top it of... she's still really not that interested in having sex with me... just seems like she's more concerned that i have someone who is more into me than she has into her...

What do I do???

Pleas keep in mind we have a kid, and outside of sex, we are good (ie, we agree on friends, family, life decisions, home, finance, affection, spending time as a family unit and long term life plans)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [18F] boyfriend [18M] makes fun of me because I pee frequently and it’s starting to affect my mental health.

Using a throwaway because my boyfriend and friends use reddit. Honestly I’m embarrassed that I’m even posting this its a stupid issue and probably the only issue we have in our relationship and I wished I would never have to post something on here about a problem. I’ve been dating my boyfriend for just over a year and he’s my first serious boyfriend, and from everything I can tell, our relationship is going pretty well besides this. He can be immature and has a sense of humor that some may not be able to understand. This seems like such a ridiculous thing in the grand scheme of everything, but it’s really starting to affect my confidence and mental health when I’m around him, so I think it needs to be addressed.

As a child I always had a small bladder but I never paid much attention to it. I’m healthy, I just happen to need to use the bathroom more than most people around me, which as never been a problem; when I needed to go, I would go. This never really bothered anyone in my family or friends group - if I needed to use the bathroom, everyone was pretty nonchalant about it and helped me find one and that was pretty much that.

That was until I met my boyfriend. His sense of humor is different in the sense that since we became a couple, he’s always teased me. It was lighthearted and harmless and it never bothered me because it was never really about anything physical at first. Sometimes he’d make fun of a song I liked or something but overall it never bothered me. Except a few days in he noticed how much I did actually use the bathroom when we were out to dinner and I happened to get up to go to the bathroom twice before we left. My frequent bathroom visits became the worlds funniest thing to him. Every time I would leave to use the bathroom I would get a remark such as “there she goes again! Can’t hold it of course”; “you’re 18 and have the bladder of a 5 year old”; “are you going to text your other boyfriend while you’re gone?”; and my favorite “can’t you just hold it like a normal person?”

This has really started to affect me. When I’m with him, I’ve started to put off going to the bathroom for as long as I can manage and drinking less liquids, which just leaves me uncomfortable and stressed because despite what he thinks, I do genuinely just need to pee. I do this only so I can avoid his teasing. It’s started to affect what I say to him and I wonder how he’ll react with genuine emergencies in the future; such as not believing me etc. When with his friends, he’d often get them to tease me about it too and force them to join in on his joking, which would turn into a group of people making fun of me if I needed to use the bathroom.

A few days ago, we were driving with our friends about an hour away from home. My friend was driving, our boyfriends in the backseat. I started to need to pee but I decided to stay quiet and hope I could make it back to where we were staying so that I didn’t have to hear any remarks from my boyfriend (which were even more embarrassing when we were with other people). Except, we were about 15 minutes away and I absolutely had to pee, so I asked my friend if we could stop somewhere really quick. It was late at night and most places were closed, so before my friend could even respond my boyfriend started with the comments, “were 15 minutes away just hold it”. “don’t stop for her she doesn’t actually need to go”. “you’re really gonna waste 20 minutes trying to find a place open right now?” While he’s never denied me a bathroom before, he’s also never gone out of his way to find me one either. I do understand how my frequent need for a bathroom can be annoying and inconvenient, but it’s not like I’m doing it on purpose or can help it.

My friend ended up stopping at a 24hr walgreens so that I could use the bathroom despite my boyfriends complaints. A while later my friend texted me and told me that while I was inside she mentioned to my boyfriend that he should calm down with the jokes a little, but all he said was that he was just joking and that’s how he jokes and that we shouldn’t get so sensitive.

Parts of me feel like I’m overreacting about this and just can’t take a joke and maybe I should loosen up more. I want to bring this up to him, but I’m worried he’ll just say the same to me. I’m scared that this is going to start effecting my health because I’ve become too scared to mention when I need to use the bathroom around him, which I know isn’t healthy for my body.

This seems like a silly thing to break up over because beside it, I truly do love him and want to make it work. Anything that I can say would be great advice, like how to bring this up and make it seem like I’m not just overreacting and that this is actually effecting me. And I know this is probably going to be a waste of time to post because most of the comments will likely be that I should loosen up and accept his joke, and advice is appreciated. Thank you :)

TL;DR: My boyfriend makes fun of how much I pee because of my small bladder. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve tried putting off using the bathroom around him because I don’t want him to say anything about it. Am I overreacting? Looking for ways that I can bring it up to him and have him believe that I just need to use the bathroom. Don’t know if this is breakup worthy or something that can be worked theough

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Tetramin posted:

So many comedy routines rely on people not knowing that orders are billed on each specific seat at the table for like 10 years now, not splitting the tables bill 50%.

e: work needs a man cum room

Yeah buddy, that’s not true in the slightest. Some POS systems do, sure, but this is by no means or in anyway an industry standard. I’ve been working in and consulting for restaurants for 17 years and have never worked with one where that was possible with the our setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Splitting the bill is great and all, but tell me about how you tip