Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes on a 360 tho. Not a 1

On a 360 the 80 is still small, that'l only hold like a dozen titles tops. Not the worst out there though, better than many previous model 360s had like the launch 20gbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Laserface posted:

Get a USB 3.0 enclosure and a 1tb ssd and it'll be much faster.
Careful with the required amperage on the SSD, I burned myself once putting a 1.5A drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure, it was constantly dropping connection. It's in the PS4 now :shobon:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

Careful with the required amperage on the SSD, I burned myself once putting a 1.5A drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure, it was constantly dropping connection. It's in the PS4 now :shobon:

mine is fine. 860 evo 1TB in some cheap rear end chinese enclosure.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fishmech posted:

On a 360 the 80 is still small, that'l only hold like a dozen titles tops. Not the worst out there though, better than many previous model 360s had like the launch 20gbs.

That may be fine... I am not going to buy a hard drive for faster load times on this thing that will probably go in a box in a couple of months. The kinect has also ruined my basement by having the move all the furniture out of the way, so I don't see on using it for that long. But I do have an old laptop drive somewhere, I assume that buying an enclosure for $10 is not going to be any better than just plugging in the USB hard drive.

Looking at this list, all those Kinect games may be able to fit. Many of my games are under a gigabyte. I could probably fit all 17 Kinect games that I bought on it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I've decided on buying a XboxoneX. I want to play Fallout 4, which I hear is sort of blah, Battlefield 1, and a bunch of old games I've missed over the years that will be brand new to me.

In the chat thread someone said Microsoft was introducing mouse+keyboard options, is that going to be available soon?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Battlefield 1 is on games with gold for this month. Hope that helps.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know what that means, pretend like you're explaining video game things to your parents

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Xbox gold is a subscription service, moslty for online content in multiplayer games. As an added incentive there are 3-4 preselected games available each month that you can permanently add to your account library.

So if you get the console and gold this month, you can get battlefield 1 at no extra cost.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is kb+m universal or developer choice?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xbox Live Gold is $60 a year and basically required to use the Xbox. This month though it includes Battlefield 1 as a free game.

Additionally, Xbox One X is a good system to play Fallout 4 on. It actually plays and looks good on that system. Where the other console releases were an ugly mess.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do you still get to keep any 360 BC game, which I remember being a neat difference to PS+?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Is kb+m universal or developer choice?

Developer choice and right now Fortnite and Warframe are the only two things that aren't shovelware garbage that support it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I don't know what that means, pretend like you're explaining video game things to your parents

To play online multiplayer, you need to subscribe to a paid service known as Live Gold. The sub also gives out free games every two weeks, and BF1 is currently one of them but only until Nov 30 (you'll need to have redeemed it by end of the month).

However, there's also another paid subscription called EA Access with a lot of full EA games permanently included with the sub, including BF1.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Rirse posted:

Do you still get to keep any 360 BC game, which I remember being a neat difference to PS+?

Not on a Bone, yes on a real 360.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
when did they take fallout 4 off of game pass? Or deals with gold maybe

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice. I don't think I'll be able to get it this month, but I assume that if I really wanted to I could just buy games for cheap until I'm ready to started subscribing to stuff?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Game Pass is probably the best sub on the Xbox one right now for two reasons: Forza Horizon 4 and the ability to keep earning month codes in perpetuity via Microsoft rewards and other assorted giveaways.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Game Pass is probably the best sub on the Xbox one right now for two reasons: Forza Horizon 4 and the ability to keep earning month codes in perpetuity via Microsoft rewards and other assorted giveaways.

It definitely helped me bone up on the focus home interactive back catalog

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

I said come in! posted:

Xbox Live Gold is $60 a year and basically required to use the Xbox. This month though it includes Battlefield 1 as a free game.

Additionally, Xbox One X is a good system to play Fallout 4 on. It actually plays and looks good on that system. Where the other console releases were an ugly mess.

Though just like PS Plus, you can usually find Live Gold deals all over the place at various times of the year and if you bother with Microsoft Rewards (if you're in the US) that also adds up. I don't have to worry about renewing Gold right now until 8/2/2021 and I've probably paid 100 bucks to do it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zaa Boogie posted:

Though just like PS Plus, you can usually find Live Gold deals all over the place at various times of the year and if you bother with Microsoft Rewards (if you're in the US) that also adds up. I don't have to worry about renewing Gold right now until 8/2/2021 and I've probably paid 100 bucks to do it.

Game Pass is even better for bargain hunters. I don't want to come off as a crazy Game Pass evangelist or anything, but I was skeptical as hell when it launched, and so far I've had like 6 months of Game Pass total and paid for maybe a single month at full price? I think I got a month for a dollar during one of their specials, and I got a few 14 day codes from PAX. Couple month codes from random poo poo, plus the Microsoft Rewards thing is good for this or Gold. The only thing you have to watch out for is, like Gold, there are some codes that only work if you've never been a subscriber before, which is an extremely dick move (especially the codes that come bundled with new consoles; you mean to tell me I don't deserve a month of Game Pass on the house after buying an Xbonx)?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Zat posted:

Not on a Bone, yes on a real 360.

My gold lapsed long ago, my BC gwg games still work fine on my xbone

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Well, I got wrong information then. Good to know!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, they never go off your account because otherwise Microsoft would need to spend a lot of money making it so they also stop working on the 360.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So when there is a trial for XBox Arcade games, how long does the trial last?

Was looking at Fruit Ninja Kinect that I want to try with my daughter, but don't want to start it if it lasts 1 hour and that's it and no way to stop the timer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Astro7x posted:

Was looking at Fruit Ninja Kinect that I want to try with my daughter, but don't want to start it if it lasts 1 hour and that's it and no way to stop the timer.

Fairly certain you get an hour of time played.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Astro7x posted:

The demo period for XBLA games is entirely up to whatever the developer wanted.

XBLIG titles had a hard 9 minute timer before the game kicked you to a purchase screen, and then you could start it up from scratch again for another 9 minutes, but it's impossible to acquire them from the store anymore since that service shut down.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So is the mouse and keyboard a thing for the X?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Professor Shark posted:

So is the mouse and keyboard a thing for the X?

It's for all xbones afaik but it's dependent on developer support so a bunch of lovely ftp and shovelware games support it at the moment. The two biggest titles that currently support mouse and keyboard are Warframe and Fortnite.

Also I realize that Harmonix is like two dudes in a garage getting paid in weed now but God drat is their support for large music libraries dogshit. After upgrading to the x, rock band refused to recognize like 85% of my music library and I've had to delete and redownload my entire 1100+ collection of songs to get them to be recognized by the game. Since they made an entire new Rock Band game for this console generation you'd think they'd have this poo poo worked out better, especially since people like me with absurd music libraries are probably the last people left playing this silly game.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 25, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My ban history proves that Harmonix have always been poo poo and got by on “indie cred” while having horrendous programming and technology (let’s not forget that rock band 3 would crash more than a Bethesda game)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

It's for all xbones afaik but it's dependent on developer support so a bunch of lovely ftp and shovelware games support it at the moment. The two biggest titles that currently support mouse and keyboard are Warframe and Fortnite.

Also I realize that Harmonix is like two dudes in a garage getting paid in weed now but God drat is their support for large music libraries dogshit. After upgrading to the x, rock band refused to recognize like 85% of my music library and I've had to delete and redownload my entire 1100+ collection of songs to get them to be recognized by the game. Since they made an entire new Rock Band game for this console generation you'd think they'd have this poo poo worked out better, especially since people like me with absurd music libraries are probably the last people left playing this silly game.

I'm just pissed that since I didn't get it until after Mad Catz went out of business, I can't get my drum kit replaced even though it was broken out of the box. And prices for used ones are completely ridiculous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I dunno I thought they might have some motivation to keep their like, seven or so remaining fans happy, but I guess they already took a ton of my money so probably not. In any case it was a massive pain in the rear end and I'm fortunate to have fast internet and no data cap.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

DrNutt posted:

I dunno I thought they might have some motivation to keep their like, seven or so remaining fans happy, but I guess they already took a ton of my money so probably not. In any case it was a massive pain in the rear end and I'm fortunate to have fast internet and no data cap.

From what I could tell with that stuff, it wasn't on Harmonix for all the problems recognizing the library. It was the way xbox licenses/indexes the content on the drives. Like for some reason it would take days for it all to be recognized if you just moved a hard drive to a new xbox.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

King Burgundy posted:

From what I could tell with that stuff, it wasn't on Harmonix for all the problems recognizing the library. It was the way xbox licenses/indexes the content on the drives. Like for some reason it would take days for it all to be recognized if you just moved a hard drive to a new xbox.

Yeah most of that library needs to be handled through the 360's licensing system, cuz it's content that's available to use in the 360 games, and that was not designed around a game having several thousand add-ons tied to it and an account, more for something like "user has main game and a few expansion packs".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

King Burgundy posted:

What had me all confused was I had it all installed on an external drive connected to my S. And there were numerous times I took that drive over to my mom's house so we could play Rock Band at holidays and such, and it essentially had no issues just plugging and playing. When I upgraded to the X, I moved everything over to the external drive in preparation for the new Xbox, and it mostly worked flawlessly. Except for the Rock Band poo poo, which now became completely unrecognizable by the game for some reason.

Oh well, it's finally worked out and I never had to resort to calling support or anything so extremely #firstworldproblems I guess. Now I just wish there were still people that played because my friend leaderboards are an extremely lonely place.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

DrNutt posted:

Oh well, it's finally worked out and I never had to resort to calling support or anything so extremely #firstworldproblems I guess. Now I just wish there were still people that played because my friend leaderboards are an extremely lonely place.

Feel free to friend me, xbox name same as SA.

AlternateAttack
Nov 26, 2018
I already have a Vanilla PS4 and a Switch, and I never really had any interest in XBone. However, I got a fancy new Jesus TV (LG OLED C8) earlier this year, and I've been wanting to update to a PS4Pro to get the full quality of 4K HDR gaming out of it. But I figured it made more sense to get a different system rather than update the system I already have, so I just bought an XBoneX on a whim for my wife's and my birthday (a few days apart). In addition to me wanting full 4K gaming, she has been mentioning lately how she wants to play some older games like SSX3/SSX2012 and Portal 1/2 again, so the backwards compatibility and upscaling/enhancement had a huge part in making my decision.

Anyway, I have a question - her birthday isn't until the first week of December, so we won't be actually playing it until then. Also, I'm planning on buying a year of Xbox Live Gold. If I dig my 360 out of the closet, and activate the XBLGold on the 360, will I be able to add this month's free games to my account and play them once i have my XBoneX set up? Or does it have to be done from the XBoneX?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should be able to buy them online and they'll be available for download as soon as you set up the X.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
You don't need a One to grab the games with gold for it. You don't even need the 360, should be able to do it all on the xbox.com site.

Consider grabbing a Gamepass code while it's cheap also.

AlternateAttack
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks for the info. Oddly enough, the website doesn't show the games I bought on 360 though? But it seems to only list Xbox one games and PC games. But I know I bought Bioshock on 360, and that one is supposedly backwards compatible, so shouldn't it list it on the website?

Also, I did already take advantage of the $70 for a year of GamePass deal. Are there any killer deals going on right now for a year of Live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlternateAttack posted:

Thanks for the info. Oddly enough, the website doesn't show the games I bought on 360 though? But it seems to only list Xbox one games and PC games. But I know I bought Bioshock on 360, and that one is supposedly backwards compatible, so shouldn't it list it on the website?

Also, I did already take advantage of the $70 for a year of GamePass deal. Are there any killer deals going on right now for a year of Live?
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/BioShock/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545407d8?DownloadType=Game#LiveZone