Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I wonder when we're finally gonna see floating fenders that bolt to the axle so they can tuck them closer around the tire and eliminate those horrendous wheel gaps without sacrificing travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

No chance at all until those horrendous wheel gaps stop being a primary selling feature.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not like those things have poo poo for travel in the first place

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MetaJew posted:

He also will put the transmission into neutral, clutch out, and coast down the road going 50+ mph. (I don't ride in cars with him anymore.)

What exactly is wrong with this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fakeaccount posted:

What exactly is wrong with this?

You're not actually in full control of the car. If for some reason you need to speed up suddenly, you have to wait to put it back into gear. It's also a good way to burn up your brakes if you're going downhill. Using engine braking saves both fuel and brakes.

ETA: Coast/freewheeling mode was a common feature with a separate setting in cars up into the '50s, when they figured out how dangerous it was and how many accidents resulted from it. It was made illegal and the feature dropped from cars.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 24, 2018

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

You're not actually in full control of the car. If for some reason you need to speed up suddenly, you have to wait to put it back into gear. It's also a good way to burn up your brakes if you're going downhill. Using engine braking saves both fuel and brakes.

Ah, see my understanding about that is that brake pads are tremendously easier to replace than a clutch. The relinquishment of control, though, well that part does make sense to me. I figured that letting the rpms drop reduced fuel consumption, also.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fakeaccount posted:

Ah, see my understanding about that is that brake pads are tremendously easier to replace than a clutch. The relinquishment of control, though, well that part does make sense to me. I figured that letting the rpms drop reduced fuel consumption, also.

Modern FI cars will shut off fuel completely when it's in engine braking mode, saving more fuel than if it's idling in neutral.

Engine braking does not harm a clutch, as it is fully engaged with the engine in gear. The force is coming from the wheels to the engine rather than the usual engine to wheels, but it grips just the same.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

fakeaccount posted:

Even if you aren't rev-matching your downshifts and you're feathering the clutch into engine braking, there is next to no wear on the clutch itself. Imagine if your brakes were fully engaged and the vehicle is stopped - they're not in the process of wearing down since the rotor isn't slipping through them. When your clutch is fully let out, the flywheel and the transmission innards are locked together and rotating at the same RPM. Nothing should be slipping. Engine braking isn't using anything but cylinders sucking vacuum against a closed throttle plate and internal friction of the engine itself. Jake brakes on diesels I believe use a compression stroke then open the valves so there's no airspring effect on the power stroke.

Engine braking, even in top gear, will work to slow you down or brake your acceleration downhill until you decide to blip the throttle. You're in control. Coasting downgrade, you might not realize you're suddenly going 85mph without any effort, and you'll use up a lot of your emergency braking capacity just to get back down to 55 or so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A slipping clutch when the engine is making power is what wears them out. So try not to do that. Work on engaging the clutch quickly with minimal revs off the line, learn to rev match downshifts and heel-toe so that you can be in gear through the whole corner instead of trying to do it in the middle/on the way out. It's not just a race car technique. Take driving in the snow where a corner is a little icier than expected and you slide a bit. Being able to get right on the throttle might help you catch it, especially with an awd car for example.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dennis McClaren posted:

Has anyone ever built a project car where the accelerator is the same as an airplanes? Where you have to move the accelerator forwards and backwards. Seems like it would be pretty fun.

Hello, I'm a month late to the party since I've had to catch up with the thread since... Err.. April?

Aniways yes there is, in the Form of conversion kits for handicapped people (specifically leg handicaps)

Volkswagen and Mercedes offer them as unlisted options from the factory.

There's also some less trustworthy aftermarket solutions

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Combat Theory posted:

Hello, I'm a month late to the party since I've had to catch up with the thread since... Err.. April?

Aniways yes there is, in the Form of conversion kits for handicapped people (specifically leg handicaps)

Volkswagen and Mercedes offer them as unlisted options from the factory.

There's also some less trustworthy aftermarket solutions

I would be happy enough just to have a horseshoe shifter for my project, but I have the bench seat so that's probably not an option. The OEM ones look like they would be easy enough to adapt to eventually, but the thumb one looks sketchy as hell.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The Reliant (Mary) Kay

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

If I drove a still-functioning Reliant in 2018 I'd paint it a bright color so everyone would stare as well!

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

NoWake posted:

The Reliant (Mary) Kay

wrong thread, imo.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

NoWake posted:

The Reliant (Mary) Kay

Mary Kay-Car

owns

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 25, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Deteriorata posted:

Modern FI cars will shut off fuel completely when it's in engine braking mode, saving more fuel than if it's idling in neutral.

Engine braking does not harm a clutch, as it is fully engaged with the engine in gear. The force is coming from the wheels to the engine rather than the usual engine to wheels, but it grips just the same.

Yeah, the only danger is to the engine and accessories if you're going down a particularly steep hill and don't keep an eye on RPMs.

There's several hills near me that I have to keep stabbing at the brakes on even in 2nd gear; I've caught myself at over 6k when I started off at idle at the top less than 30 seconds earlier. 1st gear will almost keep speeds from going up, but then someone will come flying up behind me not expecting someone to be doing 15 mph in a 30 (and they're probably doing 50-60) and welp, hello flying lessons off of the side of a mountain.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Gomi Day posted:

wrong thread, imo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NoWake posted:

The Reliant (Mary) Kay

A Reliant still on the road in TYOOL 2018 is not terrible car stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cakesmith handyman posted:

And mandate those little yellow clearance lights on top of trucks for cars too.

E: and scooters

On the top of scooter riders’ helmets. :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoWake posted:

The Reliant (Mary) Kay

That paint job actually looks well done. I'd drive it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RELATED CONTENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAj2KzJoK8

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iospace posted:

That paint job actually looks well done. I'd drive it.

Needs a Turbo III swap, otherwise yesssssss.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I was going to say "Oh that's just Tim", but welp

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A Reliant still on the road in TYOOL 2018 is not terrible car stuff.

Is there something special about that car? It just looks like every other boring, multi-decade old sedan to me.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is there something special about that car? It just looks like every other boring, multi-decade old sedan to me.

It's kinda the ultimate example of the underpowered malaise-era driving appliance, which makes it amazing that there's one left. Sort of like the PT Cruiser will be in 20 years.

My ex once somehow got a speeding ticket on the interstate in one (the Plymouth version, IIRC), going downhill with a tailwind, apparently. I'm sure the NY plates didn't help, being in Louisiana at the time (driving from college in MS to see me in TX.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, but how many 35 year old generic sedans do you see on the road? There's no reason anyone should still be driving one and yet, there it is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I haven't seen a Mary Kay car in ages. Guess they don't hand them out anymore?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

NoWake posted:

The Reliant (Mary) Kay

I wish we could go back to full width (or thereabouts) tails on cars...

I know some manufacturers are using a single line of LEDs to join lights but they all look poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

I haven't seen a Mary Kay car in ages. Guess they don't hand them out anymore?

I saw a then-new pink ATS a few years ago. My understanding is that it's a month-to-month lease and you don't get to keep it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
And they are a more subtle shade of pink now

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wish we could go back to full width (or thereabouts) tails on cars...

I know some manufacturers are using a single line of LEDs to join lights but they all look poo poo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
One day I want to get a heckblende panel for my e34. I missed out on getting one cheap from a wrecking e34 because I didn't have the cash at the time .

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hell yeah

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fo3 posted:

One day I want to get a heckblende panel for my e34. I missed out on getting one cheap from a wrecking e34 because I didn't have the cash at the time .

IT HAS AN ACTUAL NAME!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

IT HAS AN ACTUAL NAME!

c'mon son, catch up to zee germans. They have words and names for everything and don't need to borrow them either.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 26, 2018

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
The lightbar going across the entire rear of the new Chargers is a really distinct feature on the road and one of my favorite features of the car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I see that light bar going across, next thing I check is for the light bar up top and state/municipal plates below. 90% of the chargers I see around the midwest are law enforcement, would be nice if more departments used Durangos instead of Explorers to complete the "long rear tail light = LEO" theme.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how it basically a DoT thing. Square inches in measurement. How the McLaren P1 got bye.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

NoWake posted:

I see that light bar going across, next thing I check is for the light bar up top and state/municipal plates below. 90% of the chargers I see around the midwest are law enforcement, would be nice if more departments used Durangos instead of Explorers to complete the "long rear tail light = LEO" theme.

Yep, I love the unique look of it because it makes it so easy to spot police cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have a model that spells out POLICE in red neon.