Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/kjalee/status/1066020957566001153

Bientôt, gilets bruns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pantalons bruns ou future gilets jaunes avec des sac de merde à jeter?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Gilets jaunes devant et marrons derrière

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm glad someone made that joke,and that it wasn't me.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What a mess

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Jaune devant, macron derrière.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Le Monde posted:

Tandis que la minorité violente était en arrière, prête à en découdre avec les CRS, la tête du cortège atteignait la place de l’Etoile, troublant la circulation des voitures. C’est alors qu’une pluie de lacrymogènes s’est abattue sur la place, faisant suffoquer tout le quartier, y compris les clients des restaurants et des hôtels de luxe, ainsi que les passagers du métro, évacué en urgence. Beaucoup de gens ignorant tout de la manifestation des « gilets jaunes » en sont sortis sous le choc, en pleurant. Il n’était que 12 h 30.

Tous les « gilets jaunes » que Le Monde a interrogés accusent les CRS d’une répression trop précoce et démesurée. C’est ce qui, selon eux, a envenimé la situation. Tous s’estiment dans leur bon droit de manifester leur colère à Paris, et cela même sur des avenues où la préfecture n’avait pas autorisé leur présence. « Même nos manifs ils veulent nous dicter où les faire ? Ils nous dictent déjà toute notre vie et ils voudraient nous dicter même comment on doit se mécontenter ? s’emporte Jessica, 35 ans, mère au chômage, de deux enfants. Mais si on manifeste tranquillement dans un petit coin joli, vous pensez qu’on va se faire entendre ? »
Un beau samedi d'hiver à Paris, Castaner n'est pas ministre du Tourisme et des Transports.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the real million euro question is how many of these people also thought the police was too soft on the Nuit Debout crowd

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1066395442861215745?s=19

Le Père de la Nation n'est pas content.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ElNarez posted:

the real million euro question is how many of these people also thought the police was too soft on the Nuit Debout crowd
Probablement autour de 15% ET dans le public ET dans les gilets jaunes, mais bon gaser à mort une place hautement touristique, ça le fait pas, même pour démontrer les hypocrisies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

Un beau samedi d'hiver à Paris, Castaner n'est pas ministre du Tourisme et des Transports.

What the gently caress lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is that guy that worked for macron and was caught roughing up protesters dressed as a cop still working for him?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066682146683846657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

trump chimes in, i guesssss, not sure excactly he's saying besides "more money for us, gently caress you"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066682146683846657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

trump chimes in, i guesssss, not sure excactly he's saying besides "more money for us, gently caress you"
Making it about international trade(outside oil trade at least) and about NATO is kinda stupid but hey TRUMP. Also by French standard those "protests" aren't large nor violent. I mean by American standard anything that isn't a march event used to push protest selfies on instagram and an uninspired hasthag on twitter is a probably perceived as a form of self-harm but still.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 25, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Condiv posted:

is that guy that worked for macron and was caught roughing up protesters dressed as a cop still working for him?

Nah, they threw him under the bus (to some extent) and he's facing charges now. The Elysée chief of staff and a few other people (who all knew what Benalla had done but didn't report it for 2 months) faced parliamentary hearings and nothing more.

Just one bad apple, nothing to see here!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Nah, they threw him under the bus (to some extent) and he's facing charges now. The Elysée chief of staff and a few other people (who all knew what Benalla had done but didn't report it for 2 months) faced parliamentary hearings and nothing more.

Just one bad apple, nothing to see here!
I will be honest i half expect some female fsb agent to throw herself under his car's wheels while some people film it for internet during the next major electoral event (so no, not the European elections) just to remind the population of his existence. I still don't get why anyone would endanger their presidency to protect a narcissistic bodyguard.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's because you just don't think complex, Jupiterian thoughts.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yeah OK the gilets jaunes contain a significant component of right-wingers but I'm thinking maybe next weekend I'll go hang around the Champs-Elysées

That way if the revolution comes I'll be on the front lines and not just shitposting

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/actu_phone/status/1066727284336467968

He just can't not despise us it's great

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
c'est laborieux

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Pushing for 10% approval rating by the end of the year, huh.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

La réponse claire, c'est "Allez vous faire foutre lol"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CheckNewsfr/status/1066973755178655745

spoiler: yes they did

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bfm tv are such scum

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BFM are such scummy journos they are used as inspiration for animated tv show villains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMZzae-KEY

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Some researchers in social science from Toulouse have run the facebook pages of the gilets jaunes, the petition comments and the online articles on the movement through lexicometric analysis and have published a first report:
https://www.scribd.com/document/394250648/Rapport-Gilets-Jaunes
(from Arrêt sur Images ).

Turns out that (surprise) the movement is much more political than what's reported on Cnews/BFM, and not really using any far-right terms.
This is a quantitative analysis though, so there could be surprises, but still, better than expected ?

e: I can't imgur

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Caught up on this thread after some time of not following. That school comment is super depressing. I studied here and learned the language while studying because of the cheap price. And now look, I live here, am applying for citizenship, and am working in your high schools to get your kids up to scratch with the English language! Without that price... well, I probably would've stayed in the States or looked elsewhere.

Speaking of teaching, I mentioned unions once here. I've gotten pretty close with the CGT representative at my new high school as an official prof titulaire. It's the only union with members on staff and present and generally speaking I do appreciate their level of advocacy and passion. That said, she wants me to sit in with her as a representative from our school. It would be great for them as I'm titulaire and young and three CGT members aren't long for retirement.

Now, I'm not necessarily opposed. Unions definitely interest me and the CGT seems to be only one worth a drat, but I also know as a foreigner, I have no cultural context. They were joking that being titulaire meant I couldn't get fired so I would be safe I joined up. Are unions or the CGT in general seen as that antagonistic though? I don't want to all of the sudden become persona non grata. I've been getting along great with the administration and the rest of the staff and it'd be frustrating for that to just go out the window.

Plus, I don't even know if I have the right temperament. I'm not really the confrontational type and while I like debating and discussing I'm far more prone to compromise than anything else, not the sort of personality that they seem to look for. Especially since striking as a teacher is an idea I find contrary to my values. I think that teaching is a fundamental service, not unlike the firemen, and depriving kids of that even in service of our own gains, is really tough for me to stomach even if I do firmly believe we are greatly underestimated, as far as society is concerned.

I don't mind advocacy and I don't mind paying dues and all, but taking a more active position in an organization I know very little about makes me a bit uneasy.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 28, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"A oui, l'argument écologiste, laissez moi leur expliquer!" - Castaner, pas ministre de l'ecologie non plus.
https://twitter.com/justin_mot/status/1068081983610388480

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CeliaMICK/status/1068194670545637376

Tu va pas pleurer pour 5 coups de masse dans un carreau grosse conne

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 30, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

https://twitter.com/CeliaMICK/status/1068194670545637376

Tu va pas pleurer pour 5 coups de masse dans un carreau grosse conne
Va lui dire que c'est juste plusieurs fois 5 euro de dommages et que si elle commence à pleurer pour ça...

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Si l'impact est plus gros qu'une pièce de 5 euros, le monsieur de carglass vient et il t'explique la théorie du ruissellement

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, who wouldn't want to bash this creepy Macron shrine? I had to control myself not to punch my monitor.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Si l'impact est plus gros qu'une pièce de 5 euros,

C'est quoi la taille d'une pièce de 5 euros? :thunk:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think there are collector's 5 euro coins in silver or something

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Caught up on this thread after some time of not following. That school comment is super depressing. I studied here and learned the language while studying because of the cheap price. And now look, I live here, am applying for citizenship, and am working in your high schools to get your kids up to scratch with the English language! Without that price... well, I probably would've stayed in the States or looked elsewhere.

Speaking of teaching, I mentioned unions once here. I've gotten pretty close with the CGT representative at my new high school as an official prof titulaire. It's the only union with members on staff and present and generally speaking I do appreciate their level of advocacy and passion. That said, she wants me to sit in with her as a representative from our school. It would be great for them as I'm titulaire and young and three CGT members aren't long for retirement.

Now, I'm not necessarily opposed. Unions definitely interest me and the CGT seems to be only one worth a drat, but I also know as a foreigner, I have no cultural context. They were joking that being titulaire meant I couldn't get fired so I would be safe I joined up. Are unions or the CGT in general seen as that antagonistic though? I don't want to all of the sudden become persona non grata. I've been getting along great with the administration and the rest of the staff and it'd be frustrating for that to just go out the window.

Plus, I don't even know if I have the right temperament. I'm not really the confrontational type and while I like debating and discussing I'm far more prone to compromise than anything else, not the sort of personality that they seem to look for. Especially since striking as a teacher is an idea I find contrary to my values. I think that teaching is a fundamental service, not unlike the firemen, and depriving kids of that even in service of our own gains, is really tough for me to stomach even if I do firmly believe we are greatly underestimated, as far as society is concerned.

I don't mind advocacy and I don't mind paying dues and all, but taking a more active position in an organization I know very little about makes me a bit uneasy.

Hey, that’s awesome my dude. The CGT are cool and good overall.

You needn’t worry about becoming persona non grata anywhere if you join the union, I think, least of all in the Education Nationale where unions are quite common. Joining doesn’t mean you have to participate in every action either, so if you’re not comfortable striking or demonstration, don’t force yourself too much. Unions are happy when members pay their fues. If it’s more your kind of thing, you could also simply familiarize yourself with the CGT’s demands and literature and hand out leaflets to colleagues before the professional elections.

Don’t forget: unions have lots of different missions in the public sector. Maybe disciplinary commissions are more your thing? Maybe just chill out with the comrades? Take the time you need to familiarize yourself with what they do, and never hesitate to just have a good long chat with someone at the permanence.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hey, that’s awesome my dude. The CGT are cool and good overall.

You needn’t worry about becoming persona non grata anywhere if you join the union, I think, least of all in the Education Nationale where unions are quite common. Joining doesn’t mean you have to participate in every action either, so if you’re not comfortable striking or demonstration, don’t force yourself too much. Unions are happy when members pay their fues. If it’s more your kind of thing, you could also simply familiarize yourself with the CGT’s demands and literature and hand out leaflets to colleagues before the professional elections.

Don’t forget: unions have lots of different missions in the public sector. Maybe disciplinary commissions are more your thing? Maybe just chill out with the comrades? Take the time you need to familiarize yourself with what they do, and never hesitate to just have a good long chat with someone at the permanence.

Thanks! That's way re-assuring. The one caveat I didn't mention is I work in the private sector in a Catholic high school. Being American (and not yet a French citizen though I'm working on it) I was not eligible to pass the CAPES, but instead had to do the CAFEP, which is exactly the same thing but geared to Private (read: Catholic) schools. That's not to say that when I become a citizen I couldn't retake the other or what is more likely is attempt the Aggrégation for the public sector but yeah.

Don't know if what you mentioned applies to private schools, but I'm assuming it's generally the same. I'll definitely start looking into it more actively after the Christmas break. It's just so cool that they exist in France and have a purpose. The unions in the States have been toothless for so long that it has become a sad sad state of affairs.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah, I remember you from last time. I don’t expect that it should be much different for private school teachers: you still answer to the Éducation Nationale and you’re still a fonctionnaire so joining a union is not unexpected of you.

Still, I recommend getting union people in your sector to tell you about their experiences. It should somewhat assuage your doubts.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Lots of stuff going down near the Place de l’Étoile. The cops have spent their morning making people angry by cordoning them in and teargassing them. I walked from Bastille to Concorde and then from there to Étoile via Saint-Augustin and it was peaceful all the way to the Avenue de Friedland. Then I got gassed three or four times until I could come down the Avenue Marceau. Saw a couple cars get turned over and smashed down, mostly expensive or embassy cars. At some point some stuff was torched in the middle of the street but I’m not sure what.

Last I heard people were converging on the Louvre, République and Bastille. It’s not over yet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's a CGT demo at République, isn't there? Heard some gilets jaunes are joining it.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Anne_Hidalgo/status/1068889328959528962

"Trop déçue et choquée"

Kassad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy