Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He doesn't know how to use the three shells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.
We know things are bad — worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

I appreciated this. :corsair:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Wait... What? Not trying to be all :smug: "I don't even own a tv", but I seriously haven't bought a tv in years. You telling me tv's don't come with power switches anymore? Is it all through the remote or what?

That sounds like an absolute nightmare, too. When my husband, who's a total Facebook whore, forgets to silence his phone notifications before coming to bed, I loving hate being woken up at 2am just because someone said "lol" to a funny pic he posted.

It's me, I'm the obsolete and failed. I don't want a tv that I can't shut off if the batteries in the remote dies, I don't want any appliance that connects to the internet, I don't want a car that automatically slams the brakes if a plastic bag floats in front of her on a breezy day, I don't want a fridge yelling at me that my eggs coded out when that dating is purely arbitrary. Now get off my lawn.

My phone at least can suppress alerts from a list of apps for a set period each day.

Set that up to autosuppress facebook at night

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Krispy Wafer posted:

Our brand spanking new water heater is no better than the old one (aside from the lack of leaks).

I guess it depends where you live and what you live in, but solar water heating is super common around here, which seems like a pretty decent improvement.

The Bunsen burners in my school labs closely follow a design that's about 150 years old, but what's there to change about a metal tube with a few holes in it? Honestly lots of the stuff we use for school science is technically obsolete, but it's simpler, cheaper, more durable or more hands-on than the modern equivalents.

For electrical goods, quartz watches have been around for decades and the basic models have never really changed - LCD screen with two or three buttons, you're done. Casio's been selling the F-91W for nearly 30 years. Though fitbits and smartwatches will make them obsolete sooner or later I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Trauma posted:

I appreciated this. :corsair:

It's still a powerful statement, from a deeply haunting film.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

But a gas water heater just heats water with gas. Once they mastered the pilot light and cut down on accidental gas fumes killing you, there wasn't much else to improve on.

Our latest one (which is a tank storage heater, not an instant system) has a new thing where it recirculates some heated condensed water around the tank which would otherwise have just been immediately released, increasing efficiency. Or something like that, I didn't really pay that much attention to it :v: And it's new to me at least, maybe it's been around for decades :shrug:

Dilb posted:

Maybe stuff like mechanical door locks. I don't think there have been big improvements to tumbler locks.

Does it count that you can control them from your Apple Home app now? :suicide:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Wait... What? Not trying to be all :smug: "I don't even own a tv", but I seriously haven't bought a tv in years. You telling me tv's don't come with power switches anymore? Is it all through the remote or what?

Yes and yes, at least on the last two flat panels we've had. I mean they might have a "soft" on/off button hidden somewhere which just puts the TV to sleep, but as you're no doubt aware most appliances don't have real hard power switches these days, they always consume a little power when "off" waiting to detect a button press on the power button. In the case of this Sony one, "has a switch which stops it from consuming any power" was listed as a feature as far as I recall.

quote:

It's me, I'm the obsolete and failed. I don't want a tv that I can't shut off if the batteries in the remote dies, I don't want any appliance that connects to the internet, I don't want a car that automatically slams the brakes if a plastic bag floats in front of her on a breezy day, I don't want a fridge yelling at me that my eggs coded out when that dating is purely arbitrary. Now get off my lawn.

:yossame:

I kind of like the adaptive cruise control on my car so I don't need my foot on the pedal 100% of the time when driving at a constant speed on the highway, but it does concern me that one day a bag will float in front of my car, the car will slam on the brakes, whoever is riding my rear end will smash into the back of me, and I'll be the one who gets in trouble for having their car set to follow the car in front by 3 seconds. I think the car will slam on the brakes even if the cruise control is turned off though.

uvar posted:

The Bunsen burners in my school labs closely follow a design that's about 150 years old, but what's there to change about a metal tube with a few holes in it?

I would think a stove/cooktop is similar, but then the last one we got has a flame sensor, and my understanding is that the gas is meant to be shut off automatically if the flame goes out. Maybe this would be a useful feature in a school's Bunsen burners too?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Weatherman posted:

I see nobody's proposed the idea of "not stuffing your fridge so full of food that you forget stuff is there/can't finish stuff because it goes off/literally can't find stuff because it's packed so densely yet.

Plan your meals for the week and buy only what you need (obviously when an item is sold in a particular portion size you just have to deal with it). Plus you get to save money on not running a warehouse-sized fridge any more!

"But Weatherman," I hear someone whine, "if I don't have this particular bespoke gluten-free sauce in my fridge then however will I make *generic dish with fancy name*?" Uhh, don't, I guess? Or make it often enough that you can use up the ingredients before they go bad?

"You don't understand, Weatherman," someone else wheezes from the back. "Costco only sells things by the wheelbarrow so I have no choice but to shovel it all into my fridge." Well I'd suggest splitting your purchases with your friends but I already see the problem with that idea.

John Oliver did a segment some time ago about how Americans throw like 40% of their food supply into a landfill. The solution to that isn't to put rfid tags into everything or wire your fridge to your phone through your arse. It's "buy less and eat efficiently".

But I guess that doesn't create shareholder value so :shrug:

Individual waste is nothing compared to business waste. The real solution is full vegan communism.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

KozmoNaut posted:

It's still a powerful statement, from a deeply haunting film.

You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multi-variate, multi-national dominion of dollars.

It is easily one of my favorite films.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Imagined posted:

Airplanes. The Boeing 737 entered service in 1968 and Boeing still makes 47 a month to this day. The computers inside have changed but drat. And that's nothing compared to the B-52, which began service with the USAF in 1955 and is expected to continue until 2050.

The computers in commercial aircraft haven't changed much in the last few decades. In order to program any computer used in the vital controls of a commercial aircraft, you have to use specific techniques that are horribly inefficient and that bear little relation to modern programming standards. There are only a few dozen people that have experience doing it, and it takes at least ten times longer than programming a modern device to do the same thing. You have to mathematically prove that the program will not crash on any possible input. There are a lot of interesting things being done with experimental aircraft that will never see commercial application because of this.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Buttcoin purse posted:

I would think a stove/cooktop is similar, but then the last one we got has a flame sensor, and my understanding is that the gas is meant to be shut off automatically if the flame goes out. Maybe this would be a useful feature in a school's Bunsen burners too?

There are some safety features (emergency cutoff, ventilation fans, etc.) and individual on/off switches on the gas taps, plus they're only used under supervision for short times, so while that would be handy for an oven or stovetop left alone for hours I don't know how useful it would be here. If I burn to death it will probably be from the ancient wooden "flammable solids" cabinet instead of a kid screwing up.

I feel like gas cooking itself is becoming rarer, but maybe that's just because there's no underground supply here so electric (or induction!) is a lot easier to get working. My parents unconsciously brainwashed me growing up into thinking gas was obviously superior but now I have a decent electric cooktop I wouldn't switch back. Or maybe electric stoves were terrible 30 years ago?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

uvar posted:

Or maybe electric stoves were terrible 30 years ago?
Yes.
Cheap ones are also still shithouse though.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Konstantin posted:

The computers in commercial aircraft haven't changed much in the last few decades. In order to program any computer used in the vital controls of a commercial aircraft, you have to use specific techniques that are horribly inefficient and that bear little relation to modern programming standards. There are only a few dozen people that have experience doing it, and it takes at least ten times longer than programming a modern device to do the same thing. You have to mathematically prove that the program will not crash on any possible input. There are a lot of interesting things being done with experimental aircraft that will never see commercial application because of this.

how the gently caress do you prove that something won't ever happen in philosophy we're not even sure that something has ever happened yet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm thinking you need to look more at stuff tied to the human form, like clothing, to find things that haven't changed much. Men's ties, blue jeans, combs, etc.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

uvar posted:

There are some safety features (emergency cutoff, ventilation fans, etc.) and individual on/off switches on the gas taps, plus they're only used under supervision for short times, so while that would be handy for an oven or stovetop left alone for hours I don't know how useful it would be here. If I burn to death it will probably be from the ancient wooden "flammable solids" cabinet instead of a kid screwing up.

I feel like gas cooking itself is becoming rarer, but maybe that's just because there's no underground supply here so electric (or induction!) is a lot easier to get working. My parents unconsciously brainwashed me growing up into thinking gas was obviously superior but now I have a decent electric cooktop I wouldn't switch back. Or maybe electric stoves were terrible 30 years ago?

Gas hobs own and I prefer them over electric, however I haven't used an electric hob in probably 15-20 years so there might have been some improvement. My parents had a halogen one (I think) and they were way better than those lovely metal elements you used to get, bit still not as a good a gas. Gas gets hotter than electric and gets there faster. Plus you have to light a little fire like your cave man ancestors.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Nov 25, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure gas is still superior, in addition to what EvilGenius said, you can also use it with a wok, directly char some veggies on the flames, and it's probably cheaper to buy and use too. Restaurants still use gas so this is a good indicator for me. I have no choice though as there's no gas line in the building and the apartment came with the glass-ceramic electric thing (and no oven at all). I suppose I could rip it out and just buy gas tanks from a propane and propane accessories store.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
More on gas chat - I find it more consistent than electric. You have no idea how hot '5' or '10' is on an electric hob, and it probably differs between models. A gas hob might let different amounts of gas through, but you know from the size of the ring and flame how hot it is, because a gas fire is a gas fire whatever you've lit it on.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s not a true modern day refrigerator unless you can play DOOM on it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

To receive your crushed ice, you must kill me, John Romero.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EvilGenius posted:

More on gas chat - I find it more consistent than electric. You have no idea how hot '5' or '10' is on an electric hob, and it probably differs between models. A gas hob might let different amounts of gas through, but you know from the size of the ring and flame how hot it is, because a gas fire is a gas fire whatever you've lit it on.

The biggest advantage to gas is that the heat is instant. Electric elements always have lag when adjusting the temp, which gas does not. Gas can also run much hotter, though it's rare to see that in home units.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The older, cheaper lovely electric coils would yoyo between hot as gently caress and off so dishes that needed discrete temperature for any amount of time were tough to do.

Not sure about induction now, though. It looks pretty even.

Two changes to ovens in recent (20 years ish) memory: convection heating (with a little fan in the unit to even out internal temperature), and True/Euro convection (where the fan has a heating element behind it to help even out the air temp it moves around).

Empress Brosephine posted:

Only thing I can think of is speakers as those haven’t really changed much over the years
They developed electrostatic speakers a while back. Dont know if they went into use beyond niche rich audiophiles. It'd be cool to have a thin membrane be your speaker in the Tesla SuperS or whatevs.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Nov 25, 2018

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Induction is as fast as gas, and can have nice things like active temperature control, so it varies power to keep the pan at the same temperature even with different ingredients/weight/moisture content.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

On that note, do you think Daimler would recognize a modern car as a relative of his three-wheeler?

Absolutely. His car is still recognizable as "an old-rear end car" to a modern person even if they know nothing about cars. It's got more than two wheels and an engine, so there's not much else it can be. Daimler was also far from the first to produce a motorized carriage; he was just the first to actually be successful. I see no reason why a man who literally built a car from scratch with very little existing philosophy on the subject would be incapable of recognizing a 2009 Mustang as a car.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
You can’t just fire up an electric burner for a few seconds and warm a tortilla on it.

Checkmate.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's got more than two wheels and an engine, so there's not much else it can be.

Car.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lazlo Nibble posted:

You can’t just fire up an electric burner for a few seconds and warm a tortilla on it.

Checkmate.

You can on a ceramic cook-top.

King me.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can anyone think of any technology that we still use daily that hasn’t changed much since origination? Only thing I can think of is speakers as those haven’t really changed much over the years

Not sure how it's done, but modern portable speakers can be surprisingly good compared to what I grew up with. For a long time small used to always equal 'tinny', i.e. very little bass, and a prominent mid to high range. Portable speakers today tend to emphasise the low to mid range, but aren't so good at the top end, sounding boomy but a bit muddy. A suspect this is to do with power and cabinet design, rather than the actual speaker mechanism.

I'm amazed at what an iPhone speaker can produce. I wonder if that's using something other than magnetic speaker, cos there's no space in there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

Not sure how it's done, but modern portable speakers can be surprisingly good compared to what I grew up with. For a long time small used to always equal 'tinny', i.e. very little bass, and a prominent mid to high range. Portable speakers today tend to emphasise the low to mid range, but aren't so good at the top end, sounding boomy but a bit muddy. A suspect this is to do with power and cabinet design, rather than the actual speaker mechanism.

I'm amazed at what an iPhone speaker can produce. I wonder if that's using something other than magnetic speaker, cos there's no space in there.

They do wonderful things with modern speakers. But like you said, it's all lower end stuff. Then you find an old 1950's era HiFi with magnets the size of dinner plates and realize what loud really is.

Car speakers are objectively better now. The lowest trim level speakers are probably better than the upper trim level 30 or 40 years ago. The opposite end of that spectrum are TV speakers, which get worse the thinner the display gets.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

I suppose if you were never alive when aircraft existed you might have to deduce that's a very weird type of car?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I call them flyin' wagons

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Vic posted:

I call them flyin' wagons

:eng101: "Pegasusless carriage"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Imagined posted:

And that's nothing compared to the B-52, which began service with the USAF in 1955 and is expected to continue until 2050.

The last B-52 rolled off the line in October of 1962. They've had some major overhauls since, of course, so they may be getting near Theseus territory, but the serial number tags on the ones still flying are 55+ years old.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

The older, cheaper lovely electric coils would yoyo between hot as gently caress and off so dishes that needed discrete temperature for any amount of time were tough to do.

Not sure about induction now, though. It looks pretty even.

Two changes to ovens in recent (20 years ish) memory: convection heating (with a little fan in the unit to even out internal temperature), and True/Euro convection (where the fan has a heating element behind it to help even out the air temp it moves around).

They developed electrostatic speakers a while back. Dont know if they went into use beyond niche rich audiophiles. It'd be cool to have a thin membrane be your speaker in the Tesla SuperS or whatevs.

The problem with electrostatic speakers is that they are fragile as poo poo and the plates run at like 50k volts (very little current though) but if you think it's off and touch the plate it hurts like poo poo (I built a little 12x12 electrostatic tweeter in highschool and shocked the poo poo out of myself a few times). They are also incredibly directional, and you can't get good bass out of them so you still need a big down firing sub in the base of the speaker and they tend to be rather large to get the same response from a small tweeter, becuase of how small the range of motion of the diaphram is.

They sound loving awesome though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Buttcoin purse posted:

:eng101: "Pegasusless carriage"

:golfclap:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Unperson_47 posted:

To receive your crushed ice, you must kill me, John Romero.

John Romero will make your about-to-expire milk his bitch.

Unrelated: I remember reading a term years ago for a new, technologically-advanced object that’s vastly inferior to the old, low-tech version. Can opener was a specific example. An old hand-crank can opener was in all respects better than an electric version. It takes up less space, doesn’t require electricity, and usually opens the can as fast or faster than the electric version. Anyone know what I’m taking about?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I don't know, but I have read that the amount of time Americans spend on household cooking, cleaning and chores has not changed since 1900. Women spend slightly less time on it and men slightly more than they did then, but the overall hours spent combined has not changed.

Source: https://www.nber.org/digest/oct08/w13985.html

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Nov 27, 2018

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Lincoln posted:

John Romero will make your about-to-expire milk his bitch.

Unrelated: I remember reading a term years ago for a new, technologically-advanced object that’s vastly inferior to the old, low-tech version. Can opener was a specific example. An old hand-crank can opener was in all respects better than an electric version. It takes up less space, doesn’t require electricity, and usually opens the can as fast or faster than the electric version. Anyone know what I’m taking about?

Except for people with arthritis, or carpal tunnel, or diabeetus, or a lot of other disabilities or ailments common among the elderly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Or us terminally lazy!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A couple of years ago there was a company I think that was trying to promote tech to label eggs with expiration dates, bar codes, etc printed on each egg. I don't know what the end game would be with that as I don't really know a lot of people who store their eggs outside the original carton.

I suppose stores could start selling eggs individually or something, better track eggs to specific farms or even chickens, or keep people from putting eggs from one carton into another and mixing them up.

edit: I guess this is a thing in some places, already, but I've never seen it around my parts.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

The brand of eggs I usually buy (Sunny Queen) does this - a tiny batch number and a smiley face. The faces on my current eggs are way smaller than this old photo I found, but it's still a neat touch. As for storage? I'm a crafty consumer, so I keep all of mine in one basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Imagined posted:

I don't know, but I have read that the amount of time Americans spend on household cooking, cleaning and chores has not changed since 1900.
I can believe this, because actually having a clean house like on those Tv sitcoms is impossible (no one actually uses the homes in Modern Family for living, apparently).

Though, i suppose you're dealing less with dust and insects now than before, you're still cleaning all your food prep poo poo, making sure your bathrooms aren't a loving streaky mess, and sweeping up all your gross dead skin.

Dusting. gently caress dusting.