Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I came stupidly close to buying a Sherman V platoon today. In 28mm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I finally picked up the Opel Blitz/Maultier kit and a Pz IV. Woohoo! :woop:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have a source to the organization and equipment of a mid-80s Soviet motor rifle platoon, and it's colleague in the US Army? I'm working on a Cold War homebrew for COC.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Geisladisk posted:

Does anyone have a source to the organization and equipment of a mid-80s Soviet motor rifle platoon, and it's colleague in the US Army? I'm working on a Cold War homebrew for COC.

I have sometjing you might be interested in, I'll post it when I get home

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My defenses eventually collapsed and now I'm waiting for a Churchill and a Firefly.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Give me a second to unfuck the formatting, I have a TOE for 80s Soviets

Edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEwN1GTXXY5JfmDN6IvX96goN6lMWMsNCmZGlUWtAv4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

Edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEwN1GTXXY5JfmDN6IvX96goN6lMWMsNCmZGlUWtAv4/edit?usp=drivesdk

That's the stuff, thanks a lot.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly:

quote:

1 Motor Rifle Sec: 1 BMP
2nd Lt./Sgt AKM/AK-74
Sgt AKM/AK-74
2 Gunners PKM
2 No 2s AKM/AK-74
Gunner RPG-7/16 (PM Pistol)
No 2 AK-74
Sniper SVD
Driver AKS
Corp./V.Driver AKS/PM Pistol
(1 SA-7/14)
(upto 20 HE gren)
(upto 8 RPG-18 or 16 AT Gren)

This means:

A 2nd Lt or Sgt with a AK - This is the platoon commander
A Sgt with a AK
2 guys with PKMs
2 guys assisting the PKM guys, each with AKs
A guy with a RPG
A guy assisting the RPG guy, who has a AK
A guy with a SVD
The BMP's driver, who has a AKS
Another driver with a AKS or pistol? What does Corp./V.Driver stand for?
An optional guy with a SA-7/14

So If I'm understanding this correctly:
8-9 infantry, depending on if they have a SA-7, along with two drivers who would probably stay in the BMP, plus the platoon commander?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Polikarpov posted:

I don't think RPG-16 were in the Motor/Rifle companies, and there were only nine RPG-18s per Motor/Rifle company, so having "up to" eight per squad is a bit of a stretch.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I hope we are all doing French and Indian War gaming this weekend.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m going Black Friday shopping with my family, which is the ultimate wargame

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone have gaming mats they would recommend? I'm looking for a mat to use in my Bolt Action games - need something to place a small cityscape on and another that would look nice with lots of trenches and defenses. Would prefer that mousepad material stuff and if its on sale for Black Friday all the better.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
You can't beat Deepcut studio. https://www.deepcutstudio.com/ I've got a couple of their smaller mats and the quality is great. Plus they have a black friday sale going on.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wowshawk posted:

You can't beat Deepcut studio. https://www.deepcutstudio.com/ I've got a couple of their smaller mats and the quality is great. Plus they have a black friday sale going on.

These are pretty nice but, alas, shipping to the US is 35 Euros.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Crap. Forgot about that. I can't recommend any US companies I'm afraid because I'm filthy eurotrash

Edit: when I was shopping around for mats I had my eye on these guys http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/ as well. But shipping to the EU was, you know. According to reviews online they're pretty great (also they use fleece as a material, which is maybe not what you're looking for, but if it's cold outside you could theoretically use a blasted urban ruin to keep you warm).

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 23, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Threw up my first draft of COCing in the 80s platoons.

Modern COC looks like a loving bloodbath. These platoons are throwing so many dice, and they also have fewer men than their WW2 to boot.

quote:

Red Army Motor Rifle Company (BMP-2)

Platoon Headquarters
Senior Leader, with Assault Rifle

Squad One
Vehicle
BMP-2 with Junior Leader
LMG Team
LMG
RPG & pistol
Assault Rifle
LMG Team
LMG
Assault Rifle
Assault Rifle
Sniper Rifle

Note: The first squad in the platoon does not have a junior leader! The Lieutenant was expected to lead this squad in addition to his other duties.

Squad Two
HQ
Sergeant, Junior Leader, with Assault Rifle
Vehicle
BMP-2 with Junior Leader
LMG Team
LMG
Assault Rifle
RPG & Pistol
LMG Team
LMG
Assault Rifle
Assault Rifle
Sniper

quote:

US Army Light Rifle Company

Platoon Headquarters
Lieutenant, Senior Leader, with Assault Rifle
Sergeant, Junior Leader, with Assault Rifle

Antitank Team 1 & 2
M47 Dragon ATGM (two crew)

Machinegun Team 1 & 2
M60 MG (LMG, two crew)

Squads 1-3
Sergeant., Junior Leader, with Assault Rifle
Fire Team 1-2:
Grenadier with M16 & M203 Grenade Launcher (Assault rifle, Rifle Grenade)
1x Rifleman with M16
1x Rifleman with M16 and M72 LAW
Automatic Rifleman with M249 SAW

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe you should give them... fewer dice?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well it helps that smoke is plentiful in modern units, but covering fire is going to be crucially important.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No UGL for the soviets?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The newest issue of Wargames Illustrated has an article about the upcoming Cruel Seas rules and comes with a sprue of two free ships. I got two British Vosper MTBs. Article also confirms that Italy and Soviet Union will be factions as well and hints at some sort of combined Cruel Seas, Bolt Action, Blood Red Skies crossover rules/game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is anyone here tempted to pick it up? the idea of a naval game looks quite cool and I would want some Soviet ships. Looks way better than Blood Red Skies did.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Class Warcraft posted:

These are pretty nice but, alas, shipping to the US is 35 Euros.

http://www.tablewar.com/the-f-a-t-mat/

Tablewar's fatmats are good, or at least the original ones I got four years ago before they split off from Frontline Gaming are, and they're US based.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

The newest issue of Wargames Illustrated has an article about the upcoming Cruel Seas rules and comes with a sprue of two free ships. I got two British Vosper MTBs. Article also confirms that Italy and Soviet Union will be factions as well and hints at some sort of combined Cruel Seas, Bolt Action, Blood Red Skies crossover rules/game.

The December issue? The November one on shelves here still had nothing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Waaaay back when I first got into Flames the PSC T-34s were, IIRC, the only plastic kits on the market, so my army's always been made of those. Having recently tried the BF ones...

How the gently caress did people ever assemble armies of like 20 of these loving nightmare boxes?

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

spectralent posted:

How the gently caress did people ever assemble armies of like 20 of these loving nightmare boxes?

Haha! Look at this guy, thinking that peak Soviet tank swarms are composed of less than 2 dozen T-34s.

Just imagine building piles and piles (30+) of T-26s for Mid-war, or even the first Early-war Soviet lists with the gobs and gobs of weird self propelled vehicles that are like some kind of short barreled howitzer on the back of a six wheeled copy of a Ford model T. Imagine building those ten at a time and you'll be begging to get exiled to Siberia.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I don't know. I ordered a PSC Stug for CoC and I took one look at those two part tracks and immediately started looking for BF kits instead.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've got a T-26 swarm! But they're zvezda and they went together in about five minutes each without requiring me to obliterate any surface. BF's T-34s, though, seem to be designed with the thickest sprue joins ever made by god and have seperate exhausts and mud guards.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I remember PSC Panzer 4's having separate turret hatches you had to glue on. And those two part tracks seemed like they were designed not to fit together

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I definitely remember StuG tracks, at least, but PSC made a T-34 and Pz IV one-piece track which I used extensively :v:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
That didn't exist yet when I started out. I had 16 of them

:negative:

That was starting out on hard mode

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 25, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Two part tracks are easy mode, go to the model kit thread and ask about assembling individual track links :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
PSC used to design primarily for 1/72nd scale, which is why their earlier stuff is a bit fiddly in 15mm and a bit flat in 28mm.

Ask me about building a scaled down Italeri kit with individual links in 1/72nd :smithicide:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Is anyone here tempted to pick it up? the idea of a naval game looks quite cool and I would want some Soviet ships. Looks way better than Blood Red Skies did.

I'm buying this poo poo day one. I don't know why, as my knowledge of naval warfare is Jack Aubrey, broadsides, blue at the mizzen etc - but the game looks really sweet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was on the Cruel Seas hype train but a few things knocked me off. Particularly the Bolt Action initiative system, how movement is handled, and the board size all pushed it back to a "wait for a good deal."

Although I'm still eager for the new Wargames Illustrated and the preview models.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

The December issue? The November one on shelves here still had nothing.

Yeah, the December issue.

moths posted:

I was on the Cruel Seas hype train but a few things knocked me off. Particularly the Bolt Action initiative system, how movement is handled, and the board size all pushed it back to a "wait for a good deal."

Although I'm still eager for the new Wargames Illustrated and the preview models.

Meanwhile I'm on the exact opposite trajectory. At first I wasn't that interested but after reading the battle report in the magazine I liked how it seemed to play and I love the Bolt Action activation mechanic.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I always had good experiences with the PSC two-part tracks once I figured out the secret. Though it is not explained clearly anywhere, I think the intention is that you assembled the top and bottom half together around the road wheels but not to the wheels so they form a loop that can be slid off once dry. That greatly simplifies the following steps of painting and weathering the separate track assemblies then attaching them at the very end.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Any good Weird War games to play with BA minis that aren't K47?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cross-posting from the keep painting thread:

Endman posted:

I finally finished these six pikemen that I've been meaning to get done for bloody ages:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

JcDent posted:

Any good Weird War games to play with BA minis that aren't K47?

Secrets of the Reich? Haven't played it but I know people do

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Endman posted:

Cross-posting from the keep painting thread:

Looking….. sharp!

:smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
A couple of weeks ago I suddenly got the idea to replace every killed little man in CoC with a dead little man.

Today, my idea finally came to fruition (as long as casualties are no more than 8 per side).