Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

This format makes Brian May seem lame

also the haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Seeing pics of his guitar always makes me think about how I should do the inlays on my fretboard the same way.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Seeing pics of his guitar always makes me think about how I should do the inlays on my fretboard the same way.

That's only one of the many cool things about Brian May's guitar! He's an exceptionally rad guy.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I remember correctly, that was actually a woman trying to roll up the window on a giraffe sticking its head in the car (instead of politely greeting it and offering tea).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I feel like Bruce Dickinson is in that league

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The vocalist from Offspring, Dexter Holland, got his PhD too, in molecular biology

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bruce Dickinson has an honorary doctorate, not a standard one.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The vocalist from Offspring, Dexter Holland, got his PhD too, in molecular biology
He also sells a really lovely hot sauce.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

You don't want to wake the dragon, do you? Lol! Suck it

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

He also makes really good hot sauce

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Gaz2k21 posted:

He also makes really good hot sauce
No, he doesn’t. It’s terrible and boring and generic hot sauce. This is a hill I am willing to die on.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

HairyManling posted:

He also sells a really lovely hot sauce.

HairyManling posted:

No, he doesn’t. It’s terrible and boring and generic hot sauce. This is a hill I am willing to die on.

Dude, just tell us your brand already.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'd seen him on Deadwood and in The Prestige, but I never knew who Ricky Jay was, and I'm sad he passed away yesterday.

https://youtu.be/FtgUSUHnzLI

Skip to around 23 minutes for an insanely impressive display of card manipulation. The whole video is worth a watch

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'd seen him on Deadwood and in The Prestige, but I never knew who Ricky Jay was, and I'm sad he passed away yesterday.

Skip to around 23 minutes for an insanely impressive display of card manipulation. The whole video is worth a watch

I remember seeing him on TV in the 70s throwing cards at a watermelon. Not every card penetrated the melon, but he was ready with a joke to cover for it. The first card missed completely and he said, "That was just to scare the melon." And when the card bounced off, "That was just to wound the melon."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guess he's not going to make a sneaky cameo in the new Deadwood movie then. Always liked his character.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

TheBigAristotle posted:

The whole video is worth a watch
Totally agreed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

I remember seeing him on TV in the 70s throwing cards at a watermelon. Not every card penetrated the melon, but he was ready with a joke to cover for it. The first card missed completely and he said, "That was just to scare the melon." And when the card bounced off, "That was just to wound the melon."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ZGIN0UqJE

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Greg Graffin from legendary punk band Bad Religion has at least one PhD and is/has been a professor at UCLA and Cornell. He's published about a half dozen books.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TheBigAristotle posted:

My first exposure to Ricky Jay was David Mamet's "House of Games" back in the late eighties. A great movie, by the way. Jay was one of those oddballs who was somehow both a student and a master, could be playful, or deathly serious and switch between the two in a heartbeat. He loved what he did, in seemingly every possible way and wanted to share that with everyone.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

I feel like Bruce Dickinson is in that league

It's a bit dated, unfortunately:

https://twitter.com/metalsucks/status/1067087712589623296

“Brexit actually opens our borders, Brexit opens the United Kingdom to the whole of the world."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lmao, Britain is going to become even more of a backwater poo poo hole, and I can't stop laughing

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm still kind of in awe that we can do this:

(That's the first image back from the new Mole burrower that just landed on Mars; the dust cover is still on the lens so there's a lot of junk in the way, but you can see the horizon at the top and part of the burrower's discarded descent casing in the foreground.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

“Brexit actually opens our borders, Brexit opens the United Kingdom to the whole of the world."

oh goddamnit

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Radio Paranoia posted:

Why does an article about Bruce Dickinson have a picture of Bret Hart?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Goddammit don't milkshake duck Maiden for me

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dave Grool posted:

Happened to the Who already, no one is safe.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dave Grool posted:

I found this out yesterday too, pretty gutting. Then again, hardly that surprising. With all the Union Jack waving etc, never waved an EU flag did he?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kill your idols, I used to think Dave Grohl was alright and then I found out he was into some weird AIDS denial bullshit

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Kill your idols, I used to think Dave Grohl was alright and then I found out he was into some weird AIDS denial bullshit

They took that stuff off their website years ago, so he might have stopped believing in that but is too embarrassed to talk about it and is just hoping everyone forgets.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Noooo not Bruce!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

captainOrbital posted:

Noooo not Bruce!

Thankfully, we'll always have Rob Halford.

I'm staring down that monkey paw like you wouldn't believe!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

:wrong:

The transitive properties of cool don't work that way. Nirvana was cool. He was always a dweeb.

Foo Fighters are boring and generic. I will die on this hill.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Everlong is a good song but everything else is terrible, IDK how that happened

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

jobson groeth posted:

Foo Fighters are boring and generic. I will die on this hill.

:toughguy: I can oblige that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

This is why the saying used to be 'never meet your heroes', but in the internet age you can get their lovely opinions without ever having to meet them!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

Noooo not Bruce!

I was skimming through and worried this was about the only noteworthy Bruce, Campbell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The trick is to get really into mid-90s Norwegian black metal. Then you never have to worry about whether the people making your favorite music are terrible.