Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mandatory lesbian posted:

they like the original trilogy too

Confirmed, Star Wars is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Well, yeah. The reason the prequels - as well as TFA and TLJ - get as much hate as they do is because they are pretty ok movies, unlike the imagined versions of the OT, which are the Holiest Grail to ever be Holy and/or a Grail.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ungulateman posted:

Well, yeah. The reason the prequels - as well as TFA and TLJ - get as much hate as they do is because they are pretty ok movies, unlike the imagined versions of the OT, which are the Holiest Grail to ever be Holy and/or a Grail.

Well that, but also TFA and TLJ is actually hot garbage. To be fair, TFA still seems well regarded for some bizarre reason, so I guess what star wars fans wanted all along was hollow pandering.

I still recall GL's shade when he said it's a movie the fans would love.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

Well that, but also TFA and TLJ is actually hot garbage. To be fair, TFA still seems well regarded for some bizarre reason, so I guess what star wars fans wanted all along was hollow pandering.

I honestly haven't seen TFA get that much hate. In fact, most of the TLJ hate I've seen outside Something Awful seems like it comes from people who wanted it to be more like TFA. :shrug:

quote:

I still recall GL's shade when he said it's a movie the fans would love.

I sometimes wish Lucas would just outright say he hates the new movies, because he obviously does. Honestly, what does he have to lose? He hasn't made a major film himself in more than 10 years and shows no signs of wanting to so it's not like dark powers of Hollywood will conspire to destroy his career or anything.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
TFA hate seems complicated because the movie got so much poo poo thrown at it by MRAs when it got released. I know I liked it when I saw it, and when I heard about dumbasses complaining about little cuckballs and whatnot, I liked it even more. These days, I don't feel like I need to like the movie to own the idiots, and come to the realization that it's pretty mediocre. Kylo is the one bright spot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Alt-right Russian bots want you to hate this movie!!! Are you a bad enough dude to like it anyway?!?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, it's stupid to quote the exact same post twice, but whatever, I have a separate comment.

McCloud posted:

To be fair, TFA still seems well regarded for some bizarre reason

The reason is that Lucas was right:

quote:

he said it's a movie the fans would love.

And it makes sense: Lucas could have just redone the OT with the PT and fans would have loved it, but instead he decided to subvert their expectations. :v:

(Nobody in these five-hour three-part "Why Last Jedi sucks" YouTube videos ever make the comparison with the prequels when they go on about "How to subvert expectations properly :argh:" - they all compare with Infinity War these days, which I personally didn't think was an expectation-subverting movie because it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting, but whatever, it was fun to watch.)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

TFA hate seems complicated because the movie got so much poo poo thrown at it by MRAs when it got released. I know I liked it when I saw it, and when I heard about dumbasses complaining about little cuckballs and whatnot, I liked it even more. These days, I don't feel like I need to like the movie to own the idiots, and come to the realization that it's pretty mediocre. Kylo is the one bright spot.

lol at cuckballs. Jesus I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, the NT (or ST?) get a lot of poo poo for dumb reasons like "having main character be a woman" and "pink hair on captain" and whatever other poo poo they were whining about, so actual criticism is harder to tease out or gets dismissed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know, it's stupid to quote the exact same post twice, but whatever, I have a separate comment.

The reason is that Lucas was right:

And it makes sense: Lucas could have just redone the OT with the PT and fans would have loved it, but instead he decided to subvert their expectations. :v:

(Nobody in these five-hour three-part "Why Last Jedi sucks" YouTube videos ever make the comparison with the prequels when they go on about "How to subvert expectations properly :argh:" - they all compare with Infinity War these days, which I personally didn't think was an expectation-subverting movie because it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting, but whatever, it was fun to watch.)

I just can't fathom how people think IW subverted anything. At most, they "subverted" my expectations of the villain having a coherent motive. Honestly, youtube reviewers seem to be garbage to a fault, and I blame RLM and Cinema sins for that. They can't talk about how the prequels subvert expectations because A) they don't understand the prequels, instead adhering to the RLM view that the prequels were the creation of an inept dictator, and B), even if they did, they can't actually use them for a comparison because that would reduce their "nerd" cred, because everyone knows the prequels were terrible :downs:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

I just can't fathom how people think IW subverted anything. At most, they "subverted" my expectations of the villain having a coherent motive. Honestly, youtube reviewers seem to be garbage to a fault, and I blame RLM and Cinema sins for that.

It is odd that quite a few of the most hardcore anti-TLJ people I've encountered tend to be hugely pro-MCU and think that Lucasfilm should be approaching Star Wars in a fashion more akin to the MCU. It is not what I would have expected because I tend to associate that particular part of fandom (and I emphasise "that particular part" - as we have established, the majority of people did not like TLJ so I can't very well paint everyone with the same broad brush) with the whole "Disney has BRIBED Rotten Tomatoes to give the BADASS movie Batman v Superman BAD REVIEWS :qq:" thing. It comes from there, certainly, but it seems like it comes from the "other side" as well.

quote:

They can't talk about how the prequels subvert expectations because A) they don't understand the prequels, instead adhering to the RLM view that the prequels were the creation of an inept dictator, and B), even if they did, they can't actually use them for a comparison because that would reduce their "nerd" cred, because everyone knows the prequels were terrible :downs:

As for the prequels, many negative criticisms of the prequels have been made. It's no skin off my nose if people like or dislike a movie (obviously, all I care about is being correct in my assessment of the ratio of likes to dislikes) but going back to the 1999-2005 period a considerable amount of it boiled down to, "I do not like this because it was not what I was expecting."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is odd that quite a few of the most hardcore anti-TLJ people I've encountered tend to be hugely pro-MCU and think that Lucasfilm should be approaching Star Wars in a fashion more akin to the MCU. It is not what I would have expected because I tend to associate that particular part of fandom (and I emphasise "that particular part" - as we have established, the majority of people did not like TLJ so I can't very well paint everyone with the same broad brush) with the whole "Disney has BRIBED Rotten Tomatoes to give the BADASS movie Batman v Superman BAD REVIEWS :qq:" thing. It comes from there, certainly, but it seems like it comes from the "other side" as well.

Right, which is why TFA is much more appreciated, because it emulates the MCU approach. It appeals to nerd nostalgia and sloppily sets hooks for future plots , just like how Captain america had the cube or Thor had an infinity glove or whatever it was. They don't care about a coherent story with a satisfying resolution, they want to chase that hype train to new heroes and new adapted storylines from the comics.

Unfortunately, because of TLJ's lukewarm reception (nailed it), they'll probably course correct and EP 9 will be even worse than TFA was.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
It is pretty funny seeing people hold up the MCU as an example of long-term planning when you actually watch the films and see just how much stuff gets thrown out or outright ignored between films.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberCountry posted:

It is pretty funny seeing people hold up the MCU as an example of long-term planning when you actually watch the films and see just how much stuff gets thrown out or outright ignored between films.

The idea that there's a grand plan which the MCU has been building towards and everything is connected is possibly one of the cleverest and most successful pieces of marketing since "Star Wars Canon".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DepressedDarth/status/1066075602501976069

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Chewie should be forced to face justice for his killing and devouring fellow POWs. Such horrific acts and he shows no signs of remorse or PTSD afterwards. Clearly he is a psychopath.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryorxnoVWxQ

Oh, now that's lovely
Thank you Mr. Williams

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

OctoberCountry posted:

Itt someone pretends like this is unique to the MCU instead of literally every fantasy/scifi series

I can't imagine how much worse the MCU would be if they stayed the course on every single idea they have

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Like lol instead of canning Natalie Portman who obviously hated being there they should've locked her into a contract and forced her into miserable plot lines nobody including her liked and definitely let's bring back super paltrow

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryorxnoVWxQ

Oh, now that's lovely
Thank you Mr. Williams

I know it's just a big corporate cash grab and it would be swarming with people but I secretly really want to go through that Star Wars park.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Like lol instead of canning Natalie Portman who obviously hated being there they should've locked her into a contract and forced her into miserable plot lines nobody including her liked and definitely let's bring back super paltrow

Or they could have, you know, not poo poo the bed like a bunch of dumb assholes when they wrote her lines.

Also, they already brought back Paltrow so lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

TFA hate seems complicated because the movie got so much poo poo thrown at it by MRAs when it got released. I know I liked it when I saw it, and when I heard about dumbasses complaining about little cuckballs and whatnot, I liked it even more.

Your heart may have been in the right place, but that thinking only makes sense if Rey and the ball robot actually were in a sexual relationship that she found unsatisfying - a far more more interesting premise than anything we actually got. (See: the love triangle in either version of Watchmen.)

Praising the film for these bizarre right-wing hallucinations is not much different from praising it for the centrist hallucinations where Kyle is an active workplace shooter and Rey “democratizes God”(???) and whatever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Your heart may have been in the right place, but that thinking only makes sense if Rey and the ball robot actually were in a sexual relationship that she found unsatisfying - a far more more interesting premise than anything we actually got. (See: the love triangle in either version of Watchmen.)

Praising the film for these bizarre right-wing hallucinations is not much different from praising it for the centrist hallucinations where Kyle is an active workplace shooter and Rey “democratizes God”(???) and whatever.

BB8 is a child, SMG.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think for a lot of these people the MCU vs DisneyWars debate doesn't go much mentally farther than "I liked the Marvel films, I didn't like the new Star Wars films, So therefore the movies must be complete idealogical opposites!" And then attempting to shoehorn in these dichotomies and such where none exist because they don't really understand what exactly made them like or dislike the movies. Like the reason the audience likes marvel isn't some master plan or canon, It's that having these characters show up in each others movies for 15 years makes it feel organic and fun, like your not just seeing a Thor movie, the Hulk's here too! But the audience only really knows how to articulate what their seeing in the terms marketing has given them so it's all "Phase 2" and "Canonicity".

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

porfiria posted:

BB8 is a child, SMG.

BB8 may as well be a dog for all we see on screen

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

a murder dog for sure

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porfiria posted:

BB8 is a child, SMG.

I Before E posted:

BB8 may as well be a dog for all we see on screen

weirdly enough these also one hundred percent apply to the 3rd person in the alt-right's cuck delusion

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

TFA hate seems complicated because the movie got so much poo poo thrown at it by MRAs when it got released.

Where are you spending your time that you're reading/listening to MRAs?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Where are you spending your time that you're reading/listening to MRAs?

anywhere on the internet around TFA's release thanks to nerd news blogs shining a big light on like, half a dozen angry misogynists

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

anywhere on the internet around TFA's release thanks to nerd news blogs shining a big light on like, half a dozen angry misogynists

I get that. I also just roll my eyes and don't read/watch it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to get Star Wars videos with titles like "THE PROBLEM WITH FORCED DIVERSITY" and "THE FEMINIST MISANDRY OF KATHLEEN KENNEDY" showing up in my recommendations before I figured out how to switch off my YouTube history so it would stop recommending me things; I have never watched these videos but I am aware of them and it always seemed like there's lots of them. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

McCloud posted:

Unfortunately, because of TLJ's lukewarm reception (nailed it), they'll probably course correct and EP 9 will be even worse than TFA was.

I expect EP9 to either be the single greatest piece of media ever as it logically ties up all loose ends and brings everything to a satisfying close and retroactively providing Rey and Rose with a satisfying story line.
Or it will be the absolute worst Starwars piece of media ever produced, finally knocking the Holiday special off its throne. This as it fumbles the plot threads, shoehorns in as much fan service as possible, fridges Rose and makes it seem like nothing was accomplished.

I don't expect a mediocre movie.

I will never understand why people mention "reviewers" and "cinema sins" in a single sentence. Those things seem mutually exclusive.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I used to get Star Wars videos with titles like "THE PROBLEM WITH FORCED DIVERSITY" and "THE FEMINIST MISANDRY OF KATHLEEN KENNEDY" showing up in my recommendations before I figured out how to switch off my YouTube history so it would stop recommending me things; I have never watched these videos but I am aware of them and it always seemed like there's lots of them. :shrug:

The problem with forced diversity ? That can’t be real. Wtf.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Youtube has a lot of right wing propagandists doing very well off its platform, it's not a problem local to star wars

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

That one is 100% real. The narrative seems to be that Disney have to put women and minorities in the Star Wars otherwise they will get really bad reviews from the liberal arts media, you see. Also, Ghostbusters 2016 happened, which means... media reviews... and therefore... bad stories.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

J_RBG posted:

Youtube has a lot of right wing propagandists doing very well off its platform, it's not a problem local to star wars

Yeah it's a straight up industry to just make up an "SJW agenda" wholesale and then do a short series of videos on it. And turning off the history/recommendations liked described is the only way to avoid noticing them.

euphronius posted:

Not only is it 100% real but it's been a thing for some time with plenty of people in Hollywood who agree. The most hilarious was Tim Burton when Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was coming out. People were pointing out how Samuel L. Jackson was basically the first black guy ever with an actual major role in a Burton movie. And Jackson himself was asked about that but he was just like "yeah I don't think he's a jerk or anything it's just now his movies' stories ended up working out whatever" which like whatever, but then Burton like, in a later interview went into a rant that includes this:

quote:

I remember back when I was a child watching “The Brady Bunch” and they started to get all politically correct, like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black — I used to get more offended by that than just — I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, OK, there should be more white people in these movies.

You don't have to go very far between the lines, this guy was so angry that non-white people appeared briefly in The Brady Bunch that he literally never got over it. He immediately reached back to a sitcom from 1974. This was sort of a coming of a head of years of nerds and fan boys being angry about not being super pandered to in every nerd-movie ever. Iron Man 3 was the other "big" one. Nerds were pissed about the plot twist with the Mandarin because it meant he wasn't a yellow face Fu Man Chu stereotype. And even outside of the internet people I've long since severed from would talk like their lives were ruined because there's a cut of the movie 10,000 miles away where a Chinese guy is on screen for five seconds. This was always talked about as like, "the problem with China influencing Hollywood today" and like "why are movies so political now all of a sudden" because people are assholes.

Basically these folks, besides being racist people, just lack the self awareness to realize that they were being pandered to in the first place (and instead think they were like, being discerning and adventurous by seeing massive summer tentpole movies that where mega mainstream marketed for a year in advance or something and feel like their fandom to Marvel/Disney/WB/whoever was betrayed, I don't even know, racists are loving idiots) and YouTube folks make a lot of money capitalizing on that.

But it's been around forever (a notable example would be conservative talk radio, whom would send newsletters out to fans, even in the mid 90s about how Disney is actually evil and going to corrupt your kids with diversity) in every nerd interest and people eat it up because they want that viewpoint enforced even if the contents of the actual videos are super thin/just straight up fictional.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 26, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Darth TNT posted:

I will never understand why people mention "reviewers" and "cinema sins" in a single sentence. Those things seem mutually exclusive.
Making the mistake of once watching a Cinema Sins (ie, "things I personally dislike about this movie") video has apparently cursed me always to have the same "Why Episode 8 is THE GREATEST CINEMATIC TRAVESTY IN HISTORY!!!!" thumbnail pop up in YouTube every loving time I watch anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Making the mistake of once watching a Cinema Sins (ie, "things I personally dislike about this movie") video has apparently cursed me always to have the same "Why Episode 8 is THE GREATEST CINEMATIC TRAVESTY IN HISTORY!!!!" thumbnail pop up in YouTube every loving time I watch anything.

I think I've seen the thumbnail for that one. Does it have Laura Dern in front of a spooky-looking blood-red background?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Payndz posted:

You can click on the little vertical "..." on the suggested video and say "Not interested" and it won't show up again.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Payndz posted:

Oh I like cinema sins enough to occasionally binge on a few of their output. But at no point do I ever think I'm watching anything close to a review. It's entertainment nitpicking.
I watched their Starwars stuff, but it wasn't very entertaining. Just nitpicking and piling on what's trending on YouTube.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

You can click on the little vertical "..." on the suggested video and say "Not interested" and it won't show up again.

I wish that was true because no matter how much I tell YouTube I'm not interested in certain channels they still pop up from time to time like YouTube thinks I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The weird thing about Rey's plotline in TLJ is that there's not really any diegetic reason for her to question her parentage. When we see her parents leave in the flashback in TFA, she's 5 or 6 years old. She should remember her parents and have some notion of what her life with her parents was like. Does she have reason to think they were once someone important, like Jedi or generals or senators, but had just fallen on hard times prior to her birth? Does she have reason to think she might have been adopted or kidnapped? Is she aware that she is missing memories from her early childhood, and if so, isn't that information that needs to be conveyed to the audience?

We know nothing about what Rey knows or suspects about her parents (she literally tells BB-8 it's a "big secret"), so when it's suddenly established in TLJ that she thinks they might have been a Big Deal, it comes out of nowhere. It's literally the character saying "I've been watching the Star Wars films and noticed that the parentage of the protagonist is usually important, so since I'm now the protagonist, my parentage must be important too"

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 26, 2018