Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the bikesharing thing must just be some sort of weird embezzlement scam because its china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kleptocratic public fund abuse probably.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

hackbunny posted:

The same companies are here in Italy, too, in my city, but they aren't allowed to just make and dump bikes everywhere. I believe, at a minimum, that they have to register themselves as bike sharing companies (because the bikes are stamped with the city's coat of arms), and they have limits to the number of bikes they can deploy (because we aren't invaded with them)

Yeah here in Spain we have them but you're supposed to pick them up and park them in specific charging stations around the city which limits their number and keeps them from cluttering the streets.

But apparently the electric scooter market isn't regulated cause those have started popping up recently and people just drop them wherever they please.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Elman posted:

Yeah here in Spain we have them but you're supposed to pick them up and park them in specific charging stations around the city which limits their number and keeps them from cluttering the streets.

No, we already had those. I meant we literally have Ofo and Mobike here in Milan, except they must be regulated because we don't have hundreds of the things sitting in piles

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

its like an infection.

Man China needs some antibiotics

China (and the U.S.) has plenty, they're just being used on pigs. Which is setting the stage for another eventual facet of cyberpunk dystopia.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:hai:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reminder that not only were the luddites completely in the right

But they knew industrialism will make them redundant and put their families in the streets because capitalists have no sense of gratitude and are actively spiteful shits.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But they knew industrialism will make them redundant and put their families in the streets because capitalists have no sense of gratitude and are actively spiteful shits.

Weird. That's what I knew they were right about.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

thread posted:

bike apocalypse
jesus loving christ this is horrifying

gotta admit, kicking over delivery drones is more whimsical than shoving a chunk of wood in a spinning jenny

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

load a shotgun with some slugs and go drone hunting

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prav posted:

load a shotgun with some slugs and go drone hunting

if you want to get fancy make shotgun shells filled with little neodymium magnet balls, like those toys that got banned a few years back.

but really you want as many small fragments as possible to take out the propellers.

i lov this so much

bring back old gbs has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Nov 25, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

if you want to get fancy make shotgun shells filled with little neodymium magnet balls, like those toys that got banned a few years back.

gotta question the ballistics on this one

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bird shot is what you want for flying drones, save the slugs for when the police robot shows up

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Wheeee posted:

Bird shot is what you want for flying drones, save the slugs for when the police robot shows up

Yeah it turns out they're hard to hit so it pretty much has to be birdshot unless the drone is hovering stationary, or you need superhuman skills+reflexes. Or luck.

Of course hammers and screwdrivers allow superhuman feats, so someone could develop a rifle scope that uses a multistatic radar dongles to compute firing solutions and give a hit/miss prediction to aid in timing the shot. That would be cyberpunk as gently caress.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGi6j2VrL0o

80s movies had the future 100% right

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

The bikeshare companies must saturate the city with bikes (more bikes than their competitors) to make their business model work.

The public don't give a poo poo where they leave the bike and just dump it wherever.

The city must clear away the bikes when they pile up and put them into the impound lot.

40 goto 10

externalities dont exist :D

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/03/on_the_matter_of_shooting_down_amazon_delivery_drones_with_shotguns/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna use a magnetron and a couple motors and build an anti drone ray. Willing to bet nobody shields those things

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
those bike pics are insane

what's crazy is I recognize those yellow bikes, those and the green Lime bikes hit Seattle first after the failed Citi Bank bike program. Now there is like a 3rd red Jump bike that recently popped up

I was very happy to see homeless people already riding the red fuckers

and the idea of just having hundreds of bikes ready to use is great, paying the same price as an uber would cost for two people to travel the same distance is stupid. Like my last ride was like $8 bucks for 1.3 miles, if it's me and a friend that's $20 bucks, an uber would of been $7-10. Aside from just flooding the streets with these loving things, I don't understand how this business operates at all.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Gonna use a magnetron and a couple motors and build an anti drone ray. Willing to bet nobody shields those things

cops are starting to buy pressurized air-powered net launchers its hilarious

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I saw this in-person in Shenzchen at the beginning of this year. It was loving crazy.

from a few pages back but i happened to catch them dredging the canals in the old part of amsterdam in 2012 - wasnt really any different except no bikesharing just assholes ill see if i can dig up a pic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a big reason the bike companies have investors pouring money into them is to collect data about where people go and when

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Wheeee posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Now that we've found a way to make bikes bad for the environment I can't wait to see how we gently caress up solar panels.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Solar panels are dependent on rare earth metals right? And they are made in China?

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Everything is made in China.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Solar panels are dependent on rare earth metals right? And they are made in China?

China has most of the worlds rare earth metals thats being utilized so yeah. Iirc theres other big deposits in Russia and the Yukon but they're, uh, challenging to get to

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Now that we've found a way to make bikes bad for the environment I can't wait to see how we gently caress up solar panels.
solar panels are allowed to make more money by trading carbon credits with fossil fuel companies

also fossil fuel companies continue to receive enormous state subsidy under the justification of saving jobs

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the state starts paying solar panel manufacturers to destroy solar panels to prevent an energy market oversupply and too much market competition with fossil fuels

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

the state starts paying solar panel manufacturers to destroy solar panels to prevent an energy market oversupply and too much market competition with fossil fuels

the australian government is now basically supporting the coal power industry out of spite at greens so were almost there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a sex thing.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Platystemon posted:

This is a sex thing.

teehee, forgot to send a screencap of my NaNoWrMo word count to my app boss daddy. guess he’ll have to bug me alllll daaaayyyy ☺️☺️😛 😂💦💦

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Platystemon posted:

This is a sex thing.

*in a voice trembling with fear and uncertainty*

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I feel it's not-so-coincidental that the machine that most threatened the Luddites was the Jacquard loom, which was basically a programmable mechanical computer and a direct predecessor of the Analytical Engine. And interestingly, the potential threat of elaborate mechanical looms that weave physical and electrical currents had already been recognized by a paranoid schizophrenics, although in that particular case he was terrified that Jacobin assassins would use programmable electric looms to attack the ruling classes, which would have been a good thing and sounds like something Neal Stephenson would write a novel about (or maybe has, I havent read most of em).

(Also, this is a good album)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
turning “luddite” into a qualifying insult, much like how redneck was co-opted, is probably one of the more successful and savvy pr strategies that capital turned out

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Syd Midnight posted:

I feel it's not-so-coincidental that the machine that most threatened the Luddites was the Jacquard loom, which was basically a programmable mechanical computer and a direct predecessor of the Analytical Engine. And interestingly, the potential threat of elaborate mechanical looms that weave physical and electrical currents had already been recognized by a paranoid schizophrenics, although in that particular case he was terrified that Jacobin assassins would use programmable electric looms to attack the ruling classes, which would have been a good thing and sounds like something Neal Stephenson would write a novel about (or maybe has, I havent read most of em).

(Also, this is a good album)

Ned Ludd was CSPAM as hell

They said Ned Ludd was an idiot boy
That all he could do was wreck and destroy, and
He turned to his workmates and said: Death to Machines
They tread on our future and they stamp on our dreams.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The rarity of "rare earth metals" is generally overstated. Mostly the issue is no one bothers to mine them because they aren't presently super-profitable to extract.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/17/17246444/rare-earth-metals-discovery-japan-china-monopoly

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
GM, and by extension American consumers, have the memory of a goldfish.

They're going to slash their electric car and small car production and then as soon as gas prices go up to $4.50 a gallon they'll be shrugging their shoulders saying "wha happened?" right before they take their private jets to Washington rattling a tin cup for bailouts.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Modern CUVs get almost the same fuel efficiency as a comparable sedan, the demand for them isn't going anywhere.

In addition, compact cars remain one of the largest segments in the industry, Ford and GM aren't abandoning cars because they don't sell, they're abandoning cars because they aren't able to make competitive offerings and actually make money off of them.

Basically GM and Ford aren't as good at design and manufacturing as other companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

Yeah it turns out they're hard to hit so it pretty much has to be birdshot unless the drone is hovering stationary, or you need superhuman skills+reflexes. Or luck.

Of course hammers and screwdrivers allow superhuman feats, so someone could develop a rifle scope that uses a multistatic radar dongles to compute firing solutions and give a hit/miss prediction to aid in timing the shot. That would be cyberpunk as gently caress.

I mean you can build a signal jammer that will have more effective range than any gun that has a hope of hitting a drone, then you can either collect your free drone parts or follow the drone back home to whoever sent it after you