Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Congratulations on your impending nuptials, Fish. And happy Thanksgiving to everyone, americans or otherwise. Sitting by the fire with family and enjoying some pommeau and calva, the fall specialties of my Norman forebears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m gonna be working this weekend on a motion to suppress under the theory that since medical marijuana is legal in florida that the “smell of marijuana” is no longer probable cause for a search.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m gonna be working this weekend on a motion to suppress under the theory that since medical marijuana is legal in florida that the “smell of marijuana” is no longer probable cause for a search.

Definitely let us know how this goes. I’m curious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe joe Kennedy of Massachusetts made an argument on these lines as a reason to oppose the legalization of marijuana (now that it’s legal he’s changed his stance and he thinks legal pot is a great thing) so you may have something

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would also be interested in the results of this.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

I would also be interested in the results of this.

Me three.

Be prepared for an argument about federal enforcement.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Other states where marijuana became legal medicinally before recreationally eventually agreed with Mr. Nice's position if I remember correctly, but it had to go to the state supreme court to get there so good luck~~~

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Other states where marijuana became legal medicinally before recreationally eventually agreed with Mr. Nice's position if I remember correctly, but it had to go to the state supreme court to get there so good luck~~~

We're ready to appeal if necessary. The boss likes getting her name in appellate work because it means more business.

I'm giving the judge an easy out on this one because the traffic stop was clearly not legal with state supreme court cases on point. That's how I start my motion.

I also have a 45 page memorandum of law from someone much smarter than me that covers how all of the other states courts have decided on this. It's from 2017, so it needs a bit of updating, but I'm cribbing as much from it as I can. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel.

The logic is simple and sound. Either the smell of weed is no longer probable cause or hundreds of thousands of people no longer have search and seizure related constitutional protections. Since MMJ had 71% when it passed two years ago and that number has gone up, it's just bad public policy. Old white people smell like weed now. There are almost 200k floridians in the MMJ registry as of Nov 16 and 150k of them have active and valid IDs.

I'm tempted to take some of the more pungent stuff I can get from the dispensary to court with me to use as an exhibit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm tempted to take some of the more pungent stuff I can get from the dispensary to court with me to use as an exhibit.

Submit it as a character witness.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is that 45 page memorandum of law publicly available

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

Is that 45 page memorandum of law publicly available

I’ll see. I’ll share whatever i can when it’s all said and done.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

So, who billed on Thanksgiving? Americans only please.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm going to say something nice about america: You all live in a country where probable cause mostly matters, and that's good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm going to say something nice about america: You all live in a country where probable cause mostly matters, and that's good.

We do?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

:thunk:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gonna need some context here.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Gonna need some context here.

I'm drunk at a party and silosophysin.

Probable cause (or lack thereof) is a non-issue here. Mostly.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

I'm drunk at a party and silosophysin.

Probable cause (or lack thereof) is a non-issue here. Mostly.

Did you drink yourself all the way to America or something?

Edit: or to the Dick Wolfiverse?

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 25, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Unamuno posted:

Did you drink yourself all the way to America or something?

Edit: or to the Dick Wolfiverse?

Didn't see any dicks or wolves. I was posting in reference to Mr. Nice's thing, which implies the issue of probable cause has some actual significance in the US. Which must be nice.

I've never gotten evidence thrown out on lack of probable cause - which is still a theoretical requirement - nor on any other fruit of the poison tree or whatever argument. Don't know anyone who has. It's possible, there's case law, but no lower court seems to give a poo poo.

I assumed from the interest in that issue that it mattered in some pragmatic sense. Welp, that's my story

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pook Good Mook posted:

First loss in a domestic abuse trial. Feels bad man.

Yes yes. I’ve been absent. There’s a new thread title. Someone will have to catch me up on why. However, Pook, this is the best advice I can give: As a prosecutor your job is not to win cases. Your job is to get all the admissible evidence in front of the jury in a way that makes sense, not commit error, and protect the record. If you did all of the above, you did your job. Aquittals happen for any number of reasons that have zero to do with you. Yeah it sucks to know someone is guilty and see them walk. But I’d take that over worrying if I got the wrong guy any day of the week. Beyond reasonable doubt is a bitch. But it should be.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Didn't see any dicks or wolves. I was posting in reference to Mr. Nice's thing, which implies the issue of probable cause has some actual significance in the US. Which must be nice.

I've never gotten evidence thrown out on lack of probable cause - which is still a theoretical requirement - nor on any other fruit of the poison tree or whatever argument. Don't know anyone who has. It's possible, there's case law, but no lower court seems to give a poo poo.

I assumed from the interest in that issue that it mattered in some pragmatic sense. Welp, that's my story

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes yes. I’ve been absent. There’s a new thread title. Someone will have to catch me up on why. However, Pook, this is the best advice I can give: As a prosecutor your job is not to win cases. Your job is to get all the admissible evidence in front of the jury in a way that makes sense, not commit error, and protect the record. If you did all of the above, you did your job. Aquittals happen for any number of reasons that have zero to do with you. Yeah it sucks to know someone is guilty and see them walk. But I’d take that over worrying if I got the wrong guy any day of the week. Beyond reasonable doubt is a bitch. But it should be.

If functional probable cause was a prosecutor, it would be AR.

I'm still unsure that either exists.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 25, 2018

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

joat mon posted:

AR is the probable cause of prosecutors.

Also a prosecutor, AR is 100% right. Never seen anyone chewed out for losing a case when they did it the right way. Jury trials are coin flips, no way around it. Also although cases get tossed during pretrial motions based on lack of PC for a stop/search, what happens much more frequently is we decline to prosecute a case if the stop/search is iffy so the arrestee never even comes to court.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

If functional probable cause was a prosecutor, it would be AR.

I'm still unsure that either exists.

It’s early and I have a dumb. What do you mean?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

uberkeyzer posted:

Also a prosecutor, AR is 100% right. Never seen anyone chewed out for losing a case when they did it the right way. Jury trials are coin flips, no way around it. Also although cases get tossed during pretrial motions based on lack of PC for a stop/search, what happens much more frequently is we decline to prosecute a case if the stop/search is iffy so the arrestee never even comes to court.

This is what's most likely to happen with my motion. We're sending it to the state attorney first and they'll likely drop it before formal charges have even been filed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

It’s early and I have a dumb. What do you mean?

As Fish pointed out, in the US the concept of probably cause exists and there is even (generations old) caselaw to support it. However, the reality on the ground is that probable cause doesn't mean crap, either because it's been eroded into nothing by the appellate judiciary or just flat out ignored by a chickenshit trial judiciary. Seeing probable cause actually function as a check on law enforcement overreach is like finding a unicorn.

In the US the concept of prosecutorial ethics exists and there is even (generations old) caselaw that extols it. However the reality on the ground is that all those pretty statements about doing justice and not counting coups doesn't mean crap, blahblahblah...
Seeing a prosecutor consistently and forcefully talk about prosecutorial ethics and appear to mean it, believe it and try to live it is like finding a unicorn.

You're a unicorn. (It's a compliment)

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
It would have been nice to deal with DAs like AR and not “run up the win percentage” DAs like I did.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
When I hear all these internet horror stories of prosecutors who don't understand the basic responsibilities / purpose of their jobs, I can't decide if it owes to a culture difference where maybe prosecutors are that bad in the states, or just defence whining about the other side as they usually do.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ah. Thank you. Sad that this is seen as the exception because that’s the top down philosophy in my office. We have *one* who departs from that... and wonders why the boss doesn’t let him near the murder cases. He’s pretty much shunned as a colossal douche and we’re all waiting for the day he fucks up badly enough that the union is like “sorry, bro. Bye.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

joat mon posted:

As Fish pointed out, in the US the concept of probably cause exists and there is even (generations old) caselaw to support it. However, the reality on the ground is that probable cause doesn't mean crap, either because it's been eroded into nothing by the appellate judiciary or just flat out ignored by a chickenshit trial judiciary. Seeing probable cause actually function as a check on law enforcement overreach is like finding a unicorn.

In the US the concept of prosecutorial ethics exists and there is even (generations old) caselaw that extols it. However the reality on the ground is that all those pretty statements about doing justice and not counting coups doesn't mean crap, blahblahblah...
Seeing a prosecutor consistently and forcefully talk about prosecutorial ethics and appear to mean it, believe it and try to live it is like finding a unicorn.

You're a unicorn. (It's a compliment)

Probable cause does not matter as much as it should according to caselaw, but it still matters. That's why people file motions about it all the time; Fish is saying that under his legal system it's so much of a non-factor as to why bother.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

When I hear all these internet horror stories of prosecutors who don't understand the basic responsibilities / purpose of their jobs, I can't decide if it owes to a culture difference where maybe prosecutors are that bad in the states, or just defence whining about the other side as they usually do.

I wonder what the breakdown is between states with elected DAs and states like mine where it’s done by independent commission. Basically the governor appoints a panel of lawyers and judges who serve until they get bored and resign and they make all the final hiring decisions. Head States Attorneys for various districts and head office management are not members of the prosecutor’s union and are subject to periodic review/reappointment. PDs are done same way, different commission. Decisions on defense overbudget item funding are also made by the PDs commission. It’s not a perfect system but it cuts out a lot of politics.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nobody mentions the lightbulbs that are working, just the one that isn't.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Here in PA, our DAs are elected by county. The chief PD is appointed by either the county executive if it’s a home rule county, or the county commission.

Friends of mine in the DA’s office basically have 3 rules. 1) don’t politically embarrass the DA 2) winning percentage matters even if it means sometimes cutting a really good deal to the defendant, which some DAs do and some just want to play hardball 3) charge literally everything you possibly can as leverage all the way down to code violations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Here the philosophy is overcharging makes you look like a douche. Defense Response: “Fine. Open plea to the real crimes. You can look like a tool in front of the judge. Then we can go to trial on the parking violation.”

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

Friends of mine in the DA’s office basically have 3 rules. 1) don’t politically embarrass the DA 2) winning percentage matters even if it means sometimes cutting a really good deal to the defendant, which some DAs do and some just want to play hardball 3) charge literally everything you possibly can as leverage all the way down to code violations.

Sorry bout your banana republic

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sorry bout your banana republic

It's really more of a Cheesesteak republic

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

It would have been nice to deal with DAs like AR and not “run up the win percentage” DAs like I did.

It would be nice to deal with DAs like AR and not "if the judge rules against you, holding that there wasn't PC, move to recuse the judge from all criminal cases in the jurisdiction and then find and support somebody to run against him come election time" DAs like we have around here.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

It's really more of a Cheesesteak republic

Is that a kind of sandwich?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

It's more like a puffy burrito split lengthwise.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

joat mon posted:

It would be nice to deal with DAs like AR and not "if the judge rules against you, holding that there wasn't PC, move to recuse the judge from all criminal cases in the jurisdiction and then find and support somebody to run against him come election time" DAs like we have around here.

Our criminal court judges are actually pretty fair. They’re also elected but they’re all Democrats and about half and half from the prosecution and defense bar.

Unless you’re where I was in juvenile court and things like the rules of evidence or probable cause didn’t really apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

I wonder what the breakdown is between states with elected DAs and states like mine where it’s done by independent commission. Basically the governor appoints a panel of lawyers and judges who serve until they get bored and resign and they make all the final hiring decisions. Head States Attorneys for various districts and head office management are not members of the prosecutor’s union and are subject to periodic review/reappointment. PDs are done same way, different commission. Decisions on defense overbudget item funding are also made by the PDs commission. It’s not a perfect system but it cuts out a lot of politics.

We have a single AG overseeing all state prosecutors. AG is appointed by the governor, no election involved in any prosecutor position under the governor. And the AG is usually focused on oil and gas deals, but criminal matters. I really like our system compared to the elected systems. Or county by county systems, that would be utterly bizarre.

Also PC is enforced by our judges (most of whom are former PDs, including our entire court of appeals and everyone with a criminal background on the Supreme Court) like a Wimbledon tennis coach. The slightest iota over the line and the case is tossed. Half the time the trial court just randomly makes up the line just because they don't like the case. They'll happily toss indictments seven or eight times too, each time with internally inconsistent reasoning.

As a prosecutor you just sorta roll with it.