Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sentinels reduce all damage you take and can eat aggro. This means having a paradigm with sentinel com rav can let you tank enemies as you kill them instead of just healing yourself back or critically sen + 2 synergists or sabateurs can let you start a batlle safely messing up enemies stats before swapping to all out assault after two atb rotations.

Also post game triple sen and double sen can be useful for boss fights and or spamming death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

Are you talking about the Berserkers? There's several of them in Chapter 10, and you don't necessarily need a sentinel to beat them, but using one can help a bunch when they summon their centaurion blades. The blades can do a lot of damage on their own, but they don't have much life and have lowered chain resistance so you can pick them off with 2 party members while the 3rd defends.

No it was some kind of big robot thing that was like a miniboss. It looks all old and kinda busted and i has a big fire attack.

I think. It's been a long time since I played XIII and I only played it twice. Maybe it was Chapter 11. I don't even know why I recall thinking you need a SEN for it. Just kind of a vague memory or feeling.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 25, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The juggernut in the cave in chapter 11.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hes thinking of Phalanxes. They show up in the tunnels on Pulse and in Oerbas Tower. They basicaly do nothing but summon and buff allied minions and will wreck you right quick if you dont start the battle with a surprise attack, be overleveled to focus them down, or use sentinel to mitigate the pain.

Or just use one of your likely 20+ items that make you start the next fight with surprise attack and wreck the three or so mandatory fights with them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Did they ever fix the resolution problems on the PC version of XIII? Specifically that if you were playing in anything other than 1920x1080 or whatever all the text wouldn't show up.

I've been kind of wanting to replay XIII since I really like the combat, but that bug always stops me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Did they ever fix the resolution problems on the PC version of XIII? Specifically that if you were playing in anything other than 1920x1080 or whatever all the text wouldn't show up.

I've been kind of wanting to replay XIII since I really like the combat, but that bug always stops me.

Ahahaha no. Nor did they ever fix the controller bug.

Get it on the Bone if you can.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
In FF13 the rule of thumb I always use is to have all the men in a party for boss fights with Snow on point and the others just buffing the gently caress out of everyone, and the party of women is for literally everything else.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Elephant Ambush posted:

In FF13 the rule of thumb I always use is to have all the men in a party for boss fights with Snow on point and the others just buffing the gently caress out of everyone, and the party of women is for literally everything else.

Thats.... not a bad idea at all. The guys tend toward defensive strats and the ladies have all the offense.

Though if you control Sazh then the guys also have all the damage forever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like saboteurs too much and hate snow too much to run all men.

Seriously the number of bosses you can one cycle stagger thanks to deshell/deprotect/tetra stat reduction is way too high to not run a sab not to mention how dang good slow is.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Elvis_Maximus posted:

from what I'm reading up, apparently that was a bug for scan text not showing up in 1920x1080? I've only ever played it on 1280x720 on pc and haven't seen any issues. That aside, yeah it looks like it has most of the same issues I think from before.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can't believe that in all my playtrhoughs of IX I've never managed 100 Impressed/Queen Brhane quite impressed during the stage duel but I finally managed it with the Xbox prompts. The controllers are basically the same between PS and Xbox but the prompts are of course different and that was just weirding me out. After 10 failures to get above 90 I was resigned to just take what I got. And I managed to get 100. 10,000 Gil is a crazy amount of money for this point in the game, too. At least it was worth it.

Also this is a weird question but does anybody use the FFIX default window color or do they use Classic Blue? I an't stand the regular one and always use Classic.

Also it looks like in Steam version config you can disable that slow intro battle camera pan everyone hates? I haven't tried it, just looking at the config menu and that's what I figure Disable Battle Camera means or whatever.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You did remember to talk to Brahne afterwards and get the real reward for it, right? 10k gil is nice but money is kinda nothing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

You did remember to talk to Brahne afterwards and get the real reward for it, right? 10k gil is nice but money is kinda nothing.

I totally never knew she gave rewards at all... I've been missing out on Elixirs and Silk Shirts all these years. Huh.

But yeah, thanks to you, I got the Moonstone. Could be very useful to teach Shell so early. Beast Killer could also help a lot.

Thank you very much! But money is cool because you need equipment pretty bad in this game. Now I won'thave to grind to get all the goodies once I get to Lindblum.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Take that 10,000 and buy 99 wrists in Dali. Then synthesize them with 99 steepled hats from Lindblum and sell the cotton robes for a profit. Keep doing this every time you have a chance (you can also buy steepled hats in South Gate and Burmecia, and synth them in Treno) and you'll never have to worry about money for the entire game.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm up to the Calm Lands on FFX playing nightmare (mostly) on the Sin Unleashed mod. It's funny, the bosses on this mod aren't usually the most difficult battles - it's the random encounters and particularly ambushes that can gently caress you up.

I managed to teach Yuna the Aga spells and lol, Lulu is basically obsolete now. Can't decide if I can be bothered with the monster capturing. Seems like a giant and boring hassle and I've never done it before so I don't know what the rewards are. Presumably pretty good stuff though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Take that 10,000 and buy 99 wrists in Dali. Then synthesize them with 99 steepled hats from Lindblum and sell the cotton robes for a profit. Keep doing this every time you have a chance (you can also buy steepled hats in South Gate and Burmecia, and synth them in Treno) and you'll never have to worry about money for the entire game.

I don't remember ever needing money in FFIX beyond the early game. Is there some sort of very expensive thing I'm forgetting?

Paperhouse posted:

I'm up to the Calm Lands on FFX playing nightmare (mostly) on the Sin Unleashed mod. It's funny, the bosses on this mod aren't usually the most difficult battles - it's the random encounters and particularly ambushes that can gently caress you up.

I managed to teach Yuna the Aga spells and lol, Lulu is basically obsolete now. Can't decide if I can be bothered with the monster capturing. Seems like a giant and boring hassle and I've never done it before so I don't know what the rewards are. Presumably pretty good stuff though.

Its necessary for post game grinding or unlocking Auron's ultimate weapon.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Speaking of FFIX, I haven't played it since it came out but how the hell did I miss that Vivi dies at the end?? WTF??

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also it looks like in Steam version config you can disable that slow intro battle camera pan everyone hates? I haven't tried it, just looking at the config menu and that's what I figure Disable Battle Camera means or whatever.

not really. it just black screens instead, and the normal battle screen fades in when the music hits the right cue.

but who gives a poo poo just hit turbo and it speeds through that poo poo at like 8x

Barudak posted:

I don't remember ever needing money in FFIX beyond the early game. Is there some sort of very expensive thing I'm forgetting?

synthing 99 ethers from hades

also, buying the thief gloves as early as possible, you need 55k+ to afford it. lategame synthesis is extremely expensive, too, but also completely unnecessary.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 26, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Speaking of FFIX, I haven't played it since it came out but how the hell did I miss that Vivi dies at the end?? WTF??

Probably a younger kid not paying attention since its a couple lines of dialog in an overstuffed ending in a game that hadnt talked about that plot point in 20 hours.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
laggy fantasy tactics part iii

What kind of sadistic rear end in a top hat puts Move-Restore MP on a unit with MP Switch and super high Brave? Well, the kind who makes LFT. Zalmo has nearly 800 MP and MP Switch absorbs the entire attack even if you only have 1MP. It's unnecessary poo poo like this that makes me hate this mod.

I mean yes, I did the stage in one try but this is just loving cruel.

oh and the whole "we wanted to make rare items easier to get, so you can enjoy them!" spiel and then putting Maintenance on Meliadoul so you can't steal the Chantage anymore yeah that was a nice touch

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 28, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just beat Cid in FFXIII, and wondering what the best place to grind. I know what coming next since I seen the LP for it ages ago, but man there is a lot of stuff to level up and it so slow when you get only 300 - 500 per battle.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly you don't really need to grind much. As long as you do the quest chain to unlock chocobos in Chapter 11 you'll pick up enough CP along the way that you should be fine.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rirse posted:

Just beat Cid in FFXIII, and wondering what the best place to grind. I know what coming next since I seen the LP for it ages ago, but man there is a lot of stuff to level up and it so slow when you get only 300 - 500 per battle.

This gamefaqs thread has a good list in detail if you're okay with checking things: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/54276175

To simplify things: if you're only looking for money, then yeah just go for chocobo treasures since it's pretty easy. If you're looking for CP at the start of chapter 11, then the King Behemoth + Megistotherian fight near the edge of the Archylte Stepp is on the story path and is a super easy fight (since you always get a pre-empt). There are other, later, and more efficient methods but these ones are early and easy to do.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sounds good. Not dipping too much into additional jobs (party is Lightning, Fang, and Sahz), outside of getting cure on the later two so if I need to heal rapidly I can switch to that then go back to attacking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When you hit Gran Pulse, do the first 16 missions as that unlocks fast travel and chocobos. Also, start doing them immediately when offered as the main story will make you follow the path that those missions require so youll be progressing story while unlocking things.

For a heads up, new missions will appear on your map screen as glowing icons, but only if youve uncovered the part of the map with the crystal on it. If youre ever missing a mission start just look up a guide. In addiiton, if you interact with a crystal but dont accept the quest or cancel it, youll still save its information to your hunt list later so even if you find an A rank hunt youll know where it is later when you can do it.

Once you finish those 16 missions feel free to progress the game when suggested by exiting into a cave just past the teleport point on the north end of archelyte steppe. Another added bonus is youll likely unlock the achievement "Pulsian Pioneer" doing this which means when you complete the games one and only non-hunt sidequest in Oerba youll get a pile of really valuable stuff immediately instead of needing to return later

For "optimal" leveling, Id recommend progressing the story and doing all teleporter quests as they appear since youll be backtracking post game for hunts. The only tricky one is the one at the end of Taemejins tower as it requires you to beat the boss then do some additional exploring of the tower to open up a new path. From the moment you enter the cave just continue until you beat the game. In the post game return to Oerba and there will be a purple crystal on top of the building in the water. Beating this hunt gives you the growth orb which doubles all CP gains. Cheese this fight.

Dont forget that around Pulse is when you can start upgrading gear. Read a guide to minimize wasted XP because gil is the most precious thing in the game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Growth Egg fight isn't postgame. You can do it after the last boss of the chapter, but before ending the chapter entirely.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think the game ever actually says that Vivi is dead; it's just implied because he has a lifespan of ??? and then doesn't appear in the end but his son appears in his place.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think the game ever actually says that Vivi is dead; it's just implied because he has a lifespan of ??? and then doesn't appear in the end but his son appears in his place.

I mean they don't literally say "Too bad that Vivi died and is no longer alive, huh", but it's pretty straightforward that that's what happened.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is the FF7 remake still a thing or?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems to be. Gameplay videos remind me a lot of Crisis Core, which is a good thing imo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seems to be. Gameplay videos remind me a lot of Crisis Core, which is a good thing imo.

Are there any new gameplay videos? I think the one you are referring to is just a mock up and then this year they threw out all 2+ years of work that CyberConnect2 had done for them and are starting over.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh.. oh my. I am behind on my news evidently.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 30, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It wouldn't be a Nomura project if they didn't scrap years of work in order to start all over with a different development team at least once

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FF7R will never be released, and even if it is then it's not something anyone who liked the original game is going to enjoy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

The Growth Egg fight isn't postgame. You can do it after the last boss of the chapter, but before ending the chapter entirely.

Id recommend tackling it post game only because even using death youre going to get rocked by the neochu+minions before you can reasonably recover or attempt again without the CP from the final dungeon/post game crystarium levels.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are there any new gameplay videos? I think the one you are referring to is just a mock up and then this year they threw out all 2+ years of work that CyberConnect2 had done for them and are starting over.

The most recent 'update' was a screenshot on Twitter showing what looked like the Airbuster boss fight.

That's the second boss on the entire game.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

FF7R will be released as FF16 in a rebranding E3 video in about 5 years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be fair when doing a game you may not be going in chronological player order when designing things but

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You probably are if it's episodic, though.

Of course now who knows what the gently caress is going on with it, it might not be anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Maybe FF7RE should have a director that isn't currently being the director of a different triple-A title. Maybe then it would get done quicker?