Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Banana Man posted:

Can you do a random shattered world combined

You can randomize cultures and religions in Shattered World if that's what you're looking for. You can even get the Animal Kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I need to do that fully random world achievement sometime. I haven't even touched the random world stuff, I keep getting distracted by the warrior lodges

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What are you doing consorting with Popes as the Byzantine emperor? You could have a nice subservient patriarch for that.

Oh I think I've solved that problem now. Got myself a nice, loyal vassal pope, who was only too happy to lay a crown on my head just after I put a tiara on his

not that it's kept me from delving into the classics and laying the foundation for a hellenic revival :unsmigghh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:stare: Well then

Also looks like Glitterhoof went to medical school.
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/bkgKtLT.jpg[/img][/timg]

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There's something so satisfying about being Feudal and conquering a tribal area that stays tribal when you have a ton of excess prestige. You just show up every now and then and impress them with how cool you are and they give you troops

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So eldership is basically just "pick whoever you DON'T want to be your heir", it seems like. If you switch your vote to whoever the elders favour they'll all immediately decide they're unqualified and pick someone else, and I have no idea how you're supposed to make them happy because they don't seem to actually care about anything you do.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

This hecking horse keeps showing up! I haven't had the event myself, it keeps popping for my vassals and showing up in completely inappropriate situations.

Hooded Glitterhoof had the drunkard trait, and refused my attempt at friendship. :(

E:

Also, have anyone else had this bug, where there's a character targeted for swaying, which won't go away? He's been dead for hundreds of years, I don't remember putting him there, and I can't unclick the sway or person of interest buttons.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 25, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So eldership is basically just "pick whoever you DON'T want to be your heir", it seems like. If you switch your vote to whoever the elders favour they'll all immediately decide they're unqualified and pick someone else, and I have no idea how you're supposed to make them happy because they don't seem to actually care about anything you do.

Umm... in my experience... literally just make them like you?

I'd be confused and surprised if you hadn't tried that yet. Like get them over 40ish and they'll do whatever you want and tell everyone else how awesome you are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Alright! Finally became king of ireland! Now to bring the rest of the Island under my control and then strike across the north sea to Pictland, as my Sister is queen there, so I hope I can claim the crown through her. probably need to start murdering people over there.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Communist Bear posted:

I'm having immense fun with this guy here:

Started off as a Duke of Toulouse, managed to marry and war myself in such a way that I was able to expand Toulouse across the south of France. Then I just needed to stay healthy and hold on, because as soon as my dad died I'd inherit all of Burgundy (after I killed my brother, naturally).

My dad finally died in a duel against a bishop and Toulouse expanded to cover half of France. Seeing my opportunity with the rebellions going on in East Francia, I declare independence. The war didn't go my way at all at the start, but I gradually fought back and reinforced with some mercenaries. The King capitulated after I took his primary province and destroyed his army a few times. Now I'm the King of Toulouse!

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times, but what's the nice visual mod you're using for your sexy map?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Alright! Finally became king of ireland! Now to bring the rest of the Island under my control and then strike across the north sea to Pictland, as my Sister is queen there, so I hope I can claim the crown through her. probably need to start murdering people over there.

Well... probably not? If your sister is in a "normal" marriage (that means not married matrilineally), then her kids will just be of the dynasty of the Scottish king. Worse, those kids will inherit their mother's claim on titles, which will mean they get (weak) claims on the duchies of her father. Meaning they will get claims on some of your titles, which is the other way around from what you hope for.

Also, by marrying the Scottish king, she likely automatically created a non-aggression pact between your two realms. Look it up on your character page under the header "pacts". Attacking somebody with whom you have a non-aggression pact carries hefty prestige on opinion penalties with them. I think attacking a fellow Catholic with a NA pact gives you a -10 opinion penalty with all Catholic characters.

Perhaps it's better to expand into Wales first? Or, if something were to happen to your sister... The non-aggression pact would die with her. Just saying ;)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times, but what's the nice visual mod you're using for your sexy map?

Hello! It's called theatrum orbis terrarum:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580608756

I use it in both CK2 and EUIV because it makes things very pretty.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I need help (again). I maxed out tribal whatever to be able to switch to feudal but I missed that you need to have an organized religion and there is absolutely 0 chance I will be able to reform so now I got a -40 malus with everyone. What is the fastest way of converting to an organized religion as a slavic pagan? I am too far away from Byzantium to request a mass conversion.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Can't you ask a nearer catholic ruler for a mass conversion?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

That Guy Bob posted:

Can't you ask a nearer catholic ruler for a mass conversion?

I thought it only worked with the Byzantium ruler? I checked the pope for example and there isn't even any "mass conversion" option but I'll look around again, thanks.
Edit: You can request mass conversion from other catholic lords but.....I am so extremely hosed (I am Novgorod):

Is there any other way? Like I know you can get converted by talking to someone during an event or something? This is Ironman and I have put way too many hours into this to just have it all fall apart.
I'm not sure what happend, maybe horse lords are way more stable in this patch but you can see how the Khazar's and Magyars just loving steamrolled everyone.

Edit2: I'm sure this will come back to bite me in the rear end but I was able to take a Sunni Muslim concubine and convert to her religion. This will be interesting.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 25, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

:stare:

For reference, this guy - who was married to my daughter - was a severely crippled, one handed, one legged, hideously scarred utterly evil bastard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

THE BAR posted:

This hecking horse keeps showing up! I haven't had the event myself, it keeps popping for my vassals and showing up in completely inappropriate situations.

Hooded Glitterhoof had the drunkard trait, and refused my attempt at friendship. :(

I'm more impressed that you blotted a 52-year-old Glitterhoof. I don't see the Immortal trait and I do see the Horse trait, so something has glitched somewhere.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Communist Bear posted:

Hello! It's called theatrum orbis terrarum:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580608756

I use it in both CK2 and EUIV because it makes things very pretty.

the font for troop numbers sucks. otherwise it's really nice looking.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Decided to pick this up again after the most recent expansion. First attempt was going to be a repeat of my sadly corrupted Pomeranian Republic game. I screwed myself over 4 generations in by being impatient, trying to assassinate my younger brother and sole heir to consolidate the realm, and then immediately afterwards getting pulped in a war.

This new attempt I tried the early start on Essex. My 2nd generation started off with my new ruler being a lustful adulterer, and getting stressed and depressed and crap. I decided to make him join one of the holy orders, and then right after he gets hit with an excommunication, which I have to get rid of with a vow of celibacy. I was worried about this because my first son had died young, but luckily(?) my character's wife seemed to be a serial adulteress too and despite my vow I was able to play dumb and just have them be of my dynasty. And so despite a rocky and sin filled start, the guy gets pretty high up in his order and sheds a lot of the bad traits to be a pretty cool dude. If he had lived a decade longer I probably could have gotten him to be a Paragon of Virtue pretty easily.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. Okay, here's a silly error. You may remember they mentioned, in the dev diary on the return of Hellenism, they mentioned that if a Greek-cultured character reforms the Hellenic faith, the gods return to their Greek names instead of the Roman equivalents. But someone submitted a bug report saying that this wasn't happening, and indeed I found the same in my greek amazon game - not only did they keep the Roman names, but I didn't divest the male gods despite using the enatic clans. It's quite odd, as they have this whole section of code written in scripted_effects to change gods around - not just for Hellenism, but for all the pagan faiths. You're supposed to be able to keep just the male or female gods by using agnatic or enatic clans, or have a single high god and nothing else if you take Dogmatic nature. Plus Hellenism potentially switching to Poseidon/Neptune as their high god if they take seafaring.

The problem? The line that actually calls that code has been commented out. That's it. I took out the #, and it works. (Not totally perfectly, admittedly; they switched the english and french localisation for GOD_GREEK_JUPITER, so it says Zeús instead of Zeus, and for some reason I can't immediately figure out the extra copy of Zeus that appears in the "gods" column instead of "high god" is just blank. But still, mostly working.) Bit of an oversight there.

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention one of the best bits in the commented-out code: If you take Holy Family, the reformer's family (self, spouse, one child, one sibling) all become gods of the religion. If you take holy family with temporal head, the reformer becomes the High God of the religion.

This is from ages back but do you recall whereabouts the commented line is that needs editing?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have been able to confirm a bug from 2016: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/no-concubines-secondary-wives-after-religious-conversion-as-nomad.948084/
If you, as a pagan tribal, convert to Islam you will no longer be able to take concubines or secondary wives. That -3 prestige per month for <4 wives really sucks when you want to upgrade all holdings in preparation of going feudal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I've conquered more of the world than I haven't at this point. I can get another 14 to my vassal limit by empowering the council and giving them authority on every issue, which I intend to do after I've conquered everything, and another 2 for dropping from high to medium centralization. I think that 16 plus the slots I have open now should be more than enough to subjugate the entire world. I have over 200,000 men in my retinue, and quite a bit more room to grow in that regard, so I'm also feeling good about my ability to hold it all together once I get there. I've stopped paying attention to my income. I'm making over 1,000 a month and it's coming in way faster than I can spend it, so I'm just building a huge pot right now that way later on it's basically going to function as though I have infinite money. One thing that's really bothering me is that it looks like AI rulers can't build hospitals. I might sperg out enough to go through and do it, but it's really stupid that they don't just do it themselves. I've got some more of Italy to conquer from the Umayyads before I create the Roman Empire. Then the focus shifts back east, where I will go for India, then Tibet, then finally the Western Protectorate and China itself. With that, my trade route will be finalized, and then it's just a matter of mopping up in Europe.

Africa is fairly rich at this point, but there's still quite a lot of room for growth. There's still a county or two on the continent that are tribal, although that should be taken care of soon. The steppe is also coming along, although due to how few holding slots most of those counties have, they'll probably still be the poorest region of the world. It's ahead of Eastern Europe in economic development as of now, but once I get in there and Eastern Europe turns feudal, that will change. Places like Kiev are going to be rolling in it. The silk road portion of the steppe is gonna be pouring in money however. There's something else fun I started doing in this game that I'm probably going to regret.

These are my patrician families with the direct vassals map mode in the background. So far, they are kings of Italy, the eastern Byzantine Empire, and the western Byzantine Empire. When I get around to it, the last will be the King of Spain. In theory, they should build up a major trade network throughout the Mediterranean to compliment my network throughout Africa and the silk road. In practice, they're probably just going to piss me off.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 25, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I once somehow managed to convert a vassal Pope to orthodoxy as a ERE emperor in a previous version. I'm pretty sure that was a bug.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The last time I played this was before the threat mechanic was introduced, and I'm having a tough time getting a handle on it. I understand how it works in other Paradox games like EUIV, but it seems wonky here. Playing as the Byzantines and winning a holy war for three counties against the pagan Bulgarians causes my threat to skyrocket and be the target of defensive pacts from Christians, Muslims, and pagans, but taking numerous counties in successive wars in the Ireland thunderdome doesn't seem to give me much threat at all.

Why the disparity? Am I generating more threat by virtue of my size?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Communist Walrus posted:

Am I generating more threat by virtue of my size?

Yes, that's exactly what's happening.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kassad posted:

Yes, that's exactly what's happening.

It's also because he's attacking things outside of his de jure realm. You're threatening til you can grab an empire title, then cleaning up the second half of the empire is less threatening, then you start again

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried reforming into enatic? Does it break the game in hilarious ways?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Captain Mediocre posted:

This is from ages back but do you recall whereabouts the commented line is that needs editing?
It's in the on_actions events file; you can search it for "names," I think, to find the line. edit: Line 5169, calling reformation_god_names_changes_effect

I think I know why they did that, though. I made a little mod to fix the bugs I've run into (that are readily fixable), and that one had me somewhat stymied because the add_god_name command appears to put in a blank string instead of a specified name if the specified one is already the high god name. Which causes problems for getting a random god name, especially if the religion is dogmatic and there's only supposed to be one god. I could do a workaround, have the high god name be something longer and flowery with epithets while the regular god name is the short version, but it would have been a lot of work.

Though I am wondering now what would happen if I added the regular god name before the high god name.

(There was also an issue where it would say the greek high god is Conclave instead of Zeus; I tracked that down to the fact that the Conclave expansion is internally called Zeus, with a localisation to display the former name. Take out that localisation, and the name displays properly.)

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 25, 2018

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Any way to protect my character after a failed assassination attempt? I seem to get assassinated anyway a month later.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 25, 2018

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
When it comes to Pagans and Reformation, how does 'Meritocracy' and Elective Gavelkind interact? Does it simply mean I can force designate a primary heir but the junior air concept still applies, or can I literally just bypass the whole mechanic? Asking as I am on an ironman save and sadly do not have the ability to test/redo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Huskalator posted:

Any way to protect my character after a failed assassination attempt? I seem to get assassinated anyway a month later.

Change your spymaster (he might back the assassination attempt), go on a pilgrimage if you haven't already, or raise your troops and march them from one end of your realm to the other while you command them.

SkySteak posted:

When it comes to Pagans and Reformation, how does 'Meritocracy' and Elective Gavelkind interact? Does it simply mean I can force designate a primary heir but the junior air concept still applies, or can I literally just bypass the whole mechanic? Asking as I am on an ironman save and sadly do not have the ability to test/redo.

I don't recall how it works for elective gavelkind exactly, but in regular gavelkind, it just allows you to designate who inherits your primary title, your lands will still be split. Title splitting most likely will happen in elective gavelkind also, but I'm not sure if meritocracy allows you to bypass the elective part.

You can pick ancestor worship to get access to eldership succession, which does bypass gavelkind, and also means your titles can never fall outside your family. But I don't know how this interacts with meritocracy, either.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 25, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SkySteak posted:

You just define who gets the top titles, instead of it being primogeniture based. It's still just gavalkind otherwise.

e: misread, I don't actually know how it interacts with the elective part of it

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Designation does nothing under elective successions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

Well... probably not? If your sister is in a "normal" marriage (that means not married matrilineally), then her kids will just be of the dynasty of the Scottish king. Worse, those kids will inherit their mother's claim on titles, which will mean they get (weak) claims on the duchies of her father. Meaning they will get claims on some of your titles, which is the other way around from what you hope for.

Also, by marrying the Scottish king, she likely automatically created a non-aggression pact between your two realms. Look it up on your character page under the header "pacts". Attacking somebody with whom you have a non-aggression pact carries hefty prestige on opinion penalties with them. I think attacking a fellow Catholic with a NA pact gives you a -10 opinion penalty with all Catholic characters.

Perhaps it's better to expand into Wales first? Or, if something were to happen to your sister... The non-aggression pact would die with her. Just saying ;)

Well, I was going to wait for her to die of natural causes (at this time period falling down the stairs is natural causes isn't it?) then when her kid is on the throne, I'll make my move. My idea is to come at the English Kingdoms from the North and West while they're still Mercia, Wessex and Angelia.

Thinking about later games, is it possible to create a giant viking empire in the name of Odin? I'm going to assume conquering Europe as a Muslim kingdom is totally possible because I have the Sword of Islam DLC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

Thinking about later games, is it possible to create a giant viking empire in the name of Odin?

Oh, hell yes. But Reformed Germanics seem to mainly worship Thor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Well, I was going to wait for her to die of natural causes (at this time period falling down the stairs is natural causes isn't it?) then when her kid is on the throne, I'll make my move. My idea is to come at the English Kingdoms from the North and West while they're still Mercia, Wessex and Angelia.

Thinking about later games, is it possible to create a giant viking empire in the name of Odin? I'm going to assume conquering Europe as a Muslim kingdom is totally possible because I have the Sword of Islam DLC.

Oh yes, it's absolutely possible to conquer Europe as a Muslim. And as a viking. The thread shortly after Sword of Islam came out was named after the Muslim Clown Car. Paradox have since then balanced Muslims a bit better, but they play a bit differently from Christians. It's all about managing decadence. Which is mainly accumulated by your (often unlanded) family members.Since you are penalized for having less than 4 wives, and the open elective system encourages you to land your kids, this could lead to huge, sprawling family members, who accumulate a lot of decadence and lead to a decadence invasion, which is basically game over. You have to keep your dynasty small, one or two branches in case your main line dies out, but nothing more. Having low decadence gives powerful bonuses, and Muslims have some really strong CBs to take land with.

A similar thing with Norse pagans, they were insanely overpowered when The Old Gods first came out. They're still among the most powerful pagans, and it's very possible to create a huge viking empire. The vikings are unsurprisingly the best at sea raiding, which brings by far the most money. Because they have the 90% ship maintenance reduction even when unreformed, which is a huge deal, since ship maintenance is really expensive. This also makes it easier to get moral authority up to reform (by repeatedly burning down Ireland's weakly defended churches). You just have to race the ticking gavelkind time bomb, except that with the new warrior lodges, it's much easier to duel your brother and get your lands back.

If you decide to try one or the other religions, come here and we can give you more pointers :)

But don't start as a Muslim in the Charlemagne start (769), the Old Gods start (867) is much better.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
You know what really feels like it's missing? A bloodline that allows you to duel people without being in a warrior lodge or having the war focus. Be pretty easy to do, too. Maybe it could replace the bafflingly-pointless warrior lodge bloodline that makes it easier to join warrior lodges.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Torrannor posted:

But don't start as a Muslim in the Charlemagne start (769), the Old Gods start (867) is much better.

I've never seen Muslims not conquering until they reach Germany, even in the 769 start.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

THE BAR posted:

I've never seen Muslims not conquering until they reach Germany, even in the 769 start.

The Abbassids are a massive blob at the Charlemagne start, and the Caliph can invade any Sunni Muslim ruler once every ten years. So either you start in Spain or North Africa as a Muslim ruler, you start as one of the Abbasid tributaries in the Middle East, or you start in the Abbasid Empire. That's a bit dumb.

The Old Gods start has much smaller realms, there's a lot more variety of rulers to choose from, and you don't have to constantly worry about being invaded by the Abbassids. It's a much more relaxing experience imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, 769 is a lot blobbier and thus harder/slower for a lot of starts. Sometimes that's okay; being a Mazdan vassal of the Abbasids or Bajanids and eating them from within before making a move for independence is a different kind of game from being Vandad Karen and carving a path across Persia from day one, for example. But in general 769 seems a lot more... Stifling, maybe? I'm not sure. Definitely slower. If your game/goals don't rely on starting there (such as being a Zunist or doing stuff involving the last Merovingian, or some of the achievements associated with that start), 867 is probably a better choice, especially if you're newer to the game.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 25, 2018