Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are so many conflicting stories about what happened with the CGI that I don't know if people are lying or nobody has a clue what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wouldn't be surprised if someone from Foundation Imaging has the entire library of ship models on a Zip disk in their attic.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If Warners would just let go of it, I'd take a 4:3 upgraded release in a heartbeat. The 16:9 version was a nice idea but at this point it's just a novelty, one that actually harms to experience with what they had to do to the FX to fit with it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
JMS has been posting about this on twitter in the last few days, as it happens.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Seemlar posted:

If Warners would just let go of it, I'd take a 4:3 upgraded release in a heartbeat. The 16:9 version was a nice idea but at this point it's just a novelty, one that actually harms to experience with what they had to do to the FX to fit with it.

Definitely this. At some point it was even streaming on some service at 4:3 SD quality without the jarring transitions and cropping.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

JMS has been posting about this on twitter in the last few days, as it happens.

Careful. You're almost making me slightly have interest in getting a Twitter account.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Careful. You're almost making me slightly have interest in getting a Twitter account.

Everyday is an AMA on twitter with JMS and if someone just asked him about the CGI we would get a reply within a day, I'd wager...

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1064326924288180224

Also this: :laugh:
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1064372725626494976

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Thanks for that. Trying to read it has put me right off Twitter again. I'm much relieved.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As I get into season two, it’s striking me more and more that G’Kar being some kind of womanizer is at odds with the rest of his character. He seems more like he should be awkward or intimidated by women rather than doing libertine Benny Hill poo poo in his office with the other ambassador out at the desk.

I don’t know: it seems like maybe a trait left over from a version of the character who would have been played differently. He’s just so fastidious and demanding as performed that even with prostitutes I feel like he’d be seen as too annoying to bother with and should be following them around yelling that he has a coupon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Weird nerds can know how to have a good time

Source: me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

As I get into season two, it’s striking me more and more that G’Kar being some kind of womanizer is at odds with the rest of his character. He seems more like he should be awkward or intimidated by women rather than doing libertine Benny Hill poo poo in his office with the other ambassador out at the desk.

I don’t know: it seems like maybe a trait left over from a version of the character who would have been played differently. He’s just so fastidious and demanding as performed that even with prostitutes I feel like he’d be seen as too annoying to bother with and should be following them around yelling that he has a coupon.

G'Kar pays very well, and he has his own motives for mating with humans.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Evidently Katsulas in the costume drew women's interest in a way he didn't out of the costume. I don't see why the same couldn't be true in-setting. We never see him sleeping with another Narn, either.

Also, I don't know why you think G'Kar and awkwardness have anything to do with one another. Although he has been taken aback fairly frequently.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

- pizdulgir

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pick posted:

- pizdulgir

A phone decal of this would be sick

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I want to hate this:

But Vir is cute as hell and I can't deny it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's Morden's skull, isn't it?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Bieeanshee posted:

That's Morden's skull, isn't it?

No, of course it isn't.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hexyflexy posted:

I want to hate this:

But Vir is cute as hell and I can't deny it.

This looks like concept art for a new Netflix series.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

This looks like concept art for a new Netflix series.

I would kill a person for a series of anything done in piz's style.

why are russians so talented :qq:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished season two, and I have to say that I’m pretty impressed with the cg overall for something from 94/95, especially given how ambitious it must have been to do a show all in cg back then.

But the monorail and Boxleitner’s jump in the season two finale were just hilariously bad.

I’m also blown away by the quality of guest stars. For a show with a tight budget, they really knew hot to put the casting budget to work. The Penguin and Mr. Freeze! No other show would have Ken Foree and Jessica Walter. It’s a literal parade of character-actor stars.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oh my god yes :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

btw I'm getting K on board with B5 watchery. we'll get her soon.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

btw I'm getting K on board with B5 watchery. we'll get her soon.

yessssssss

also can you post or send a link to where you got those because i want to share and be able to attribute properly and google is hard failing on "pizdulgir"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yessssssss

also can you post or send a link to where you got those because i want to share and be able to attribute properly and google is hard failing on "pizdulgir"

Yes they are amazing, i'd spend money on them.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

I just finished season two, and I have to say that I’m pretty impressed with the cg overall for something from 94/95, especially given how ambitious it must have been to do a show all in cg back then.

But the monorail and Boxleitner’s jump in the season two finale were just hilariously bad.

Yeah, there's some stuff that hasn't aged well, and it's a shame they never pulled off any good shots that got across the scale of the station's interior. But it was all very impressive back in the mid-90s.

One thing I always appreciated is that there's not much in the way of reused effects shots - compare to, say, DS9, where even when they switched to cgi, there was one shot of a Federation ship being destroyed that ended up showing up in every battle. B5 only really reused the station exterior shots, and even then there was a fair bit of variety - I like that after the Centauri cruiser damages the station in the season two finale, the exterior shots in the season three opening show work crews making repairs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, there's some stuff that hasn't aged well, and it's a shame they never pulled off any good shots that got across the scale of the station's interior. But it was all very impressive back in the mid-90s.

One thing I always appreciated is that there's not much in the way of reused effects shots - compare to, say, DS9, where even when they switched to cgi, there was one shot of a Federation ship being destroyed that ended up showing up in every battle. B5 only really reused the station exterior shots, and even then there was a fair bit of variety - I like that after the Centauri cruiser damages the station in the season two finale, the exterior shots in the season three opening show work crews making repairs.

They also KEPT the damage for a few episodes, iirc. It wasn't magically fixed the next episode like the time the Jem'Hadar just straight-up blew a pylon off of DS9.

edit:

Oh no.. Oh god; Today is twenty years since Sleeping in the Light :tinfoil:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I’m also blown away by the quality of guest stars. For a show with a tight budget, they really knew hot to put the casting budget to work. The Penguin and Mr. Freeze! No other show would have Ken Foree and Jessica Walter. It’s a literal parade of character-actor stars.

I kinda turn off a lot of my judging how good the effects are with this show, but I thought it was odd that they went through the whole effort of establishing the station center and then never used it again.

The CGI all has that look where it was the days before texturing so nothing even comes close to looking real. I do respect that they use their choice of media to do all kinds of things that wouldn't work with miniatures like spinning sections, it just doesn't really look...good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no.. Oh god; Today is twenty years since Sleeping in the Light :tinfoil:.

I just watched Sleeping in Light again this morning! "Well look at that... the sun is rising..." :cry:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

God, SiL is one big cryfest for me. It usually starts with Sheridan's story about his dad driving them on sunday mornings and it doesn't let up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

Ehh, I can think of at least a few shots that got reused... granted most of them would qualify as "station exterior" as they're shots of the station's point defense turrets firing, but there's also at least one or two Starfury shots that got used a few times.

As for the Starfleet ship being popped in 'every' battle, I think that only showed up two or three times (and the last one was in the last battle where they pretty egregiously reused a lot of footage).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hope and vaseline posted:

God, SiL is one big cryfest for me. It usually starts with Sheridan's story about his dad driving them on sunday mornings and it doesn't let up.

I cry when I load it up. my brain already knows and it's just going to be proactive. It shares this unique property with What Dreams May Come, aka the movie girls use to cry stuff out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's largely the result of the hosed up resolution changes for mixed live action/cg. It's really easy to tell if a shot's going to involve some CGI because everything's been smeared in vaseline.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's also the very first monorail shot with Ivanova in it where something hosed up with the chroma key and her uniform turned deep green with a black center panel, they couldn't even spring for half a minute of color correction?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Payndz posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if someone from Foundation Imaging has the entire library of ship models on a Zip disk in their attic.

Ron Thornton confirmed as much in an interview years back. The problem isn't sourcing the models necessarily, it's that the technology and software involved is so archaic(we're talking Lightwave and Video Toaster here) that even if all the model data survives I doubt it would be of much use.

Short of re-creating all the CG from scratch, the only real option for an HD upgrade is the archival film copies held by Warners.

hope and vaseline posted:

Definitely this. At some point it was even streaming on some service at 4:3 SD quality without the jarring transitions and cropping.

It is (or was) on VUDU in 4:3. I figured out a way to capture from there using an Xbox Gold Account and a VPN and then feeding out to an Elgato to record to my PC, but it was pretty tedious and I didn't get very far. And I think they've blocked VPNs now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m about five episodes into season three, and I love how campy that dude in the center of the planet is. His every line delivery is a delight.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

427 new posts, someone MUST have died right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I’m about five episodes into season three, and I love how campy that dude in the center of the planet is. His every line delivery is a delight.

Draal is the best. I feel like his direction was just to do a Brian Blessed impression.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maelstache posted:

Ron Thornton confirmed as much in an interview years back. The problem isn't sourcing the models necessarily, it's that the technology and software involved is so archaic(we're talking Lightwave and Video Toaster here) that even if all the model data survives I doubt it would be of much use.

Are you sure? I get the sense that modeling file formats have an obscenely long shelf-life. LightWave has been used as recently as in Lost. :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The CG holds up as well as it does because the animation direction is amazingly good. One of my favorite shots of the whole series is a space battle in the second half of S3. The shot has stuff going on in the foreground, middle, and background. It doesn't matter about the bit depth of the textures, or the number of polygons on screen, it's a well-composed scene that conveys a lot of information about what is going on in the conflict. There's also the Starfury shot in one of the opening credit sequences, also S3 I think. The fighter is maneuvering, the camera tracks it and shifts the framing. Just a pretty shot of a zooming spaceship, but there's so much motion and space encompassed in a short clip. And all of that because they had hardware they could animate and compose with freely.

The guest stars are consistently good, and they good a few bigger names than you'd expect. I've posted a lot about the guests, so I'll name a new one: William Dennis Hunt. He's one of the actors who has appeared on both B5 (a Centauri noble in Knives) and Star Trek (DS9, Way of the Warrior, as Huraga). Hunt is notable because his acting career got its start as Emperor Wang in <drum roll> Flesh Gordon. Not because of the 1974 original, the 1990 sequel is what did it. After that 16 year gap, he's still working this year.

Flesh Gordon is a classic. It's not a bad movie, it's a decent space opera with some nudity. Where it shines is the effects work. There are people in that crew who went on to win Oscars and Emmys. Star Trek fans will recognize Bjo Trimble, who was on makeup, and several other people with long involvement with. Rick Baker did the makeup and effects on the Thriller music video, while clocking 7 Oscars and an Emmy. Dennis Muren has a star on the Walk of Fame, six Oscars, and an Emmy. Just a long list of people who had stellar careers in special effects of all kinds. Plus, Craig T Nelson ad-libbed the dialogue for the big monster at the end of the movie.

And yeah, the second Draal actor is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also doesn't hurt that pew pew spaceships were one of the easier things to do in CG early on. Any time you're mixing with real footage it gets rough, and I'm glad they never even attempted some kind of "realistic" CG alien, that really wouldn't have held up. The Shadows and the other few CG aliens work all right since they're weird and unnatural looking by design. Same way Odo still works.