Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Remember when Dio was actually going to be a loving lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nijimura is still the king of that for me

hell Vanilla Ice too if you think about it

I mean yes his stand was terrifying but dude was a straight-up dumbass

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Arist posted:

he cries himself to sleep thinking about it

Or he became a marine biologist so he could punch sharks better.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Lots of seventeen year olds have no idea what their future career will be. Alternately-- what jobs could take someone as far from the desert as humanly possible. Like if I spent 50 days of heatstroke and assassins in the Sahara I'd probably make my lifegoals to be on the ocean too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want to imagine Jotaro gives lectures the same way he gives fight monologues

"So, the male seahorse takes the fertilized egg and carries it to term. You might even say..."

*turns head from students, eyes are covered in the shadow coming off his brim. He points dramatically into the empty space of the auditorium

"The male seahorse is the mother"

*crowd gasps as the kanji for sinister floats from his textbook*

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno, I give fats a pass because his plan was pretty solid, and we don't know what he would have done after killing the crusaders.

Like maybe his next step was to harness a near limitless supply of fusion energy to become a billionaire but first DIO was like "kill these dudes"

If it was so solid why did he get beaned by a rock by a bunch of laughing psychos once his stand started directly attacking them :v:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

YggiDee posted:

Lots of seventeen year olds have no idea what their future career will be. Alternately-- what jobs could take someone as far from the desert as humanly possible. Like if I spent 50 days of heatstroke and assassins in the Sahara I'd probably make my lifegoals to be on the ocean too.

There's that but I also think it's a nice nod to him defeating DIO, since the only thing that really held DIO back for a hundred years was the ocean. :v:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
speaking of jotaro, I think my favorite thing about him is that he is the only Jojo (so far) who beat the big bad by just being stronger and better than them.

Jonathan, Joseph, and Josuke all won by combinations of outsmarting the opponent/pure luck

Jotaro is the only one who just straight up beats the poo poo out of the final villain.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

BaDandy posted:

There's that but I also think it's a nice nod to him defeating DIO, since the only thing that really held DIO back for a hundred years was the ocean. :v:

And to flip it again, why else would DIO set up in the biggest desert on earth? (Biggest, like, hot desert. No self respecting vpire lives at the poles)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

can't a dude just have an interest in marine biology, sheesh

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Once you get superpowers all of your hobbies & life goals need to be symbolic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

can't a dude just have an interest in marine biology, sheesh

There should be a gaiden manga about Jotaro's college years where he originally goes to get a business degree to take over the Joestar business but discovers a love of fish after a life changing trip to the aquarium

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Now I'm imagining Star Platinum making sketches of sea critters and its cute.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
DIO moving the Egypt works in tandem with his desire to be seen as a god and sure he could try to deify himself as pretty much any religion but I feel like the Egyptian pantheon has a specific notability to it that lends itself to DIO's brand of godhood, with feeling constantly praised and feared and adored while being able to live among his subjects, but still "above" those subjects.

I am talking out of my rear end though because I have opinions and theories about jojo and I just like talking about some of the the philosophy and meaning behind some of the stuff that happens in JJBA, whether it is something intentional on Araki's part or unintentional themes subconsciously peppered throughout Araki's work

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Now I'm imagining Star Platinum making sketches of sea critters and its cute.

*staring out at animals relaxing on a beach, scribbling furiously*

OtterOtterOtterOtterOtterOtterOtterOtterOtter

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There should be a gaiden manga about Jotaro's college years where he originally goes to get a business degree to take over the Joestar business but discovers a love of fish after a life changing trip to the aquarium

Only if it is done by Fukumoto.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Well, his stand DOES have that Pharaoh look going for him and being really really into Egypt was a thing both in the 1880's and the 1980's.

And I will never get over that DIO changes his looks depending on what cool power he's focused on. It's so funny. Him trying to dress like a goth twink when he's discovered how to become a vampire, and then in the 1980's, not only discovering 80's fashion but also trying to dress like his Stand when he's out in public is the height of comedy because he's such an image-focused guy and it is absolutely a thing he would do.

edit: like I guess you could argue that Dio dressing like a vampire is just a thing Araki did to indicate that this is a vampire, but it turns out Dio finding an abandoned gothic castle and draping himself in red velvet and having a bowl of roses around for no other reason than The Aesthetic is absolutely, 100 percent in character of him and that's just good writing.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 25, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let us never forget that time he decided to sport Kakyoin's hairdo while wearing a trash bag for a dress

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

i have no idea what the enemy's stand from this week does even after reading this and thats a good thing, part 5 is loving good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

IDONTPOST posted:

i have no idea what the enemy's stand from this week does even after reading this and thats a good thing, part 5 is loving good.

Do you want to know what it does?

Because it sounds like you want to know what it does.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Well, his stand DOES have that Pharaoh look going for him and being really really into Egypt was a thing both in the 1880's and the 1980's.

And I will never get over that DIO changes his looks depending on what cool power he's focused on. It's so funny. Him trying to dress like a goth twink when he's discovered how to become a vampire, and then in the 1980's, not only discovering 80's fashion but also trying to dress like his Stand when he's out in public is the height of comedy because he's such an image-focused guy and it is absolutely a thing he would do.

edit: like I guess you could argue that Dio dressing like a vampire is just a thing Araki did to indicate that this is a vampire, but it turns out Dio finding an abandoned gothic and draping himself in red velvet and having a bowl of roses around for no other reason than The Aesthetic is absolutely, 100 percent in character of him and that's just good writing.

I will always love that he wanted to conquer the world in a war of endless bloodshed while wearing a heart bandana

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will always love that he wanted to conquer the world in a war of endless bloodshed while wearing a heart bandana

Hey now

If things went his way, there'd be no endless bloodshed because everything would cease to continue to exist :v: It wouldn't be destroyed, it'd just stop.

Also, I love how the heart gets shown when his skull gets caved in.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
DIO discovering that spandex can cling to his new, muscle-bound physique and make his new dick look even bigger than ever before.

edit: no but what's really funny is him trying to pull off a cape in 1988. And succeeding, but still.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 25, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

While explaining to my non-Jojo friends how sad the translated stand names are in part 5, and I realized that it's a bit of a miracle that we got Dio unchanged

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

IDONTPOST posted:

it's just the stasis rune from Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
a whole page on Jotaro's love for fish and this wasn't posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSN0BggslG0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BaDandy posted:

Remember when Dio was actually going to be a loving lawyer?

I want an alternate universe where Phoenix Wright has to contend with DIO in court.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sockser posted:

While explaining to my non-Jojo friends how sad the translated stand names are in part 5, and I realized that it's a bit of a miracle that we got Dio unchanged
Dio is a name dudes have in real life, especially since he's Dio Brando not Dio James Ronnie.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Middler and Kenny are names too and look what happened to those.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I want a side story with Jotaro supervising an exam and some of his students trying to cheat by using stands.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Middler and Kenny are names too and look what happened to those.

Well his name was literally Kenny G, so that's a little harder to defend.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonwagon posted:

I want a side story with Jotaro supervising an exam and some of his students trying to cheat by using stands.

Star Platinum punching an exam paper one thousand times at the end when Jotaro solves the mystery of his rear end in a top hat student's stand.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

At least they didn't touch our precious speedwagon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BaDandy posted:

edit: like I guess you could argue that Dio dressing like a vampire is just a thing Araki did to indicate that this is a vampire, but it turns out Dio finding an abandoned gothic castle and draping himself in red velvet and having a bowl of roses around for no other reason than The Aesthetic is absolutely, 100 percent in character of him and that's just good writing.

W/r/t his Part 3 outfit, you could read it as being waaaaay more confident about having Jonathan’s body than his own, hence his relatively conservative outfits in Part 1.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Kuvo posted:

a whole page on Jotaro's love for fish and this wasn't posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSN0BggslG0

I like to imagine this being canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfF3XCGE5A

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, All Star Battle has a lot of fun interactions with characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=163W0EgYPIQ

ChaosArgate posted:

W/r/t his Part 3 outfit, you could read it as being waaaaay more confident about having Jonathan’s body than his own, hence his relatively conservative outfits in Part 1.

I remember seeing a character analysis about that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 25, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man, I just found out Abbacchio is supposed to be 20 years old

That's some Resident Evil level accomplishments by a young age

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All Star Battle is a bad game but it's some good fan service.

Eyes of Heaven is a bad game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man, I just found out Abbacchio is supposed to be 20 years old

That's some Resident Evil level accomplishments by a young age

21 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

21 years old.

A.
B. Doesn't really change the point, does it?