Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs

half of them are in paradox arctic, fair warning

Lol no loving surprise nobody wants to work in the middle of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont do MP competitively (yet, I guess?) and TDs are so infrequently useful because so few AI powers use dangerous amounts of actually scary armor that I find that AA offers enough piercing/whatever that they can be more useful than the more specialized AT. Also yes when playing Mil restricted powers (France, Nat China are the first two that spring to mind) I have toyed with completely ignoring air power and just having AA in every unit instead - it was way cheaper in production costs and research (at least I'm pretty sure it is), and it also takes less micromanagement.

Which reminds me:
Archangel is there somewhere to post feature requests? I find needing to set the following settings for air units every time I deploy them very tedious:
  • Day/Night
  • No Retreat/Normal Operations/Low Intensity
  • Mission Type

I would love to be able to set a default so my Close Air Support planes would always have the Close Air Support box ticked; my Fighters to always have Air Superiority and Interception boxes ticked; and my Naval Bombers always set to Naval Strike; and so on.

With the new fuel system, you might actually not want that. Other than that, we do have suggestion forum and we do occasionally look at it.

xthetenth posted:

What sort of slots do you have?

Still looking for an off-site content designer.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jeoh posted:

I mean, I grew up in Yellowknife, I'd do it. :v:

Don't qualify for any of that though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jeoh posted:

I've never lived in a town where the population went over six figures, I'm your huckleberry

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ArchangeI posted:

With the new fuel system, you might actually not want that. Other than that, we do have suggestion forum and we do occasionally look at it.
I would still want to set a default Day/Night preference and Operations preference because I always do the same thing and the defaults are really bad (suicidal). I sincerely doubt anyone wants their planes flying no matter what, because the default setting is Fly Day And Night No Matter What Strength The Wing Is At. Maybe I'll try to find my way to a suggestions subforum but I always feel like that is a waste of time because there is so little incentive for devs/designers/product managers to look there because of things like all of the requests to better represent the SS or whatever, and because any suggestion I would post would get lost in a sea of requests to better represent the SS or whatever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 25, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I would love to be able to set a default so my Close Air Support planes would always have the Close Air Support box ticked; my Fighters to always have Air Superiority and Interception boxes ticked; and my Naval Bombers always set to Naval Strike; and so on.

Why would you want air superiority AND interception ticked? Air superiority means, "Fly all the time" and interception means, "Fly when there are enemy bombers or CAS present". The interception order is meaningless if you've ordered air superiority.

The general idea of mission defaults is fine though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Why would you want air superiority AND interception ticked? Air superiority means, "Fly all the time" and interception means, "Fly when there are enemy bombers or CAS present". The interception order is meaningless if you've ordered air superiority.

The general idea of mission defaults is fine though.
I was under the impression that your fighters do not try to deter bombers from bombing if Interception is not ticked and Air Superiority is for trying to shoot down other fighters?
edit: re-reading the tooltips Superiority says "Attempt to achieve air superiority by engaging enemy fighters, and secondarily enemy bombers and other planes" while Interception says "Attempt to prevent enemy planes from doing missions in the region, such as bombing or close air support".
So uh, I'm not really sure what to do now lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 25, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I was under the impression that your fighters do not try to deter bombers from bombing if Interception is not ticked and Air Superiority is for trying to shoot down other fighters?
edit: re-reading the tooltips Superiority says "Attempt to achieve air superiority by engaging enemy fighters, and secondarily enemy bombers and other planes" while Interception says "Attempt to prevent enemy planes from doing missions in the region, such as bombing or close air support".
So uh, I'm not really sure what to do now lol

You can get away with only using air superiority in the current build of the game - if you want to fight an enemy in the air, you'll want to fight their fighters as well as their bombers, and you get ground and sea combat bonuses for doing it.

Intercept's not much use right now, but will be once fuel is in the game and you only want to fly if the enemy does.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Nah, I've had weird experiences of bombers just going through if you don't have both ticked. This is with excessive amounts of planes on either side, mind.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Has anyone ever had success with night bombing? During our last MP game I was the USA and I went down the night bombing side of the doctrine tree and also had the night bombing advisor. When doing night bombing only, 100% of my bombers would be disrupted and no damage would be done to enemy buildings. When doing day and night bombing, only 30% of my bombers would be disrupted and I destroyed the hell out of some stuff. I'm wondering if the bonus only applies to fighters or something?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fun chain of events in a RT56 game:

Japan and China set aside their differences and form a united faction, Da Rong Gong Nong Fong or some poo poo like that;

Within 2 months Japan stages the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, abandons Chinese rapprochement, forms the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and invades China anyway. China unites behind that Da Rong faction instead of "Unified China" but still gets their poo poo pushed in. Tibet, for whatever reason, had been puppeted by Kai Shek's nationalist China and reacted to now being a Japanese puppet with... Communist Revolution. Being the USSR I deployed tanks immediately to protect our brothers in the... Monastic Commune of Tibet? That succeeding reminded Sinkiang and Mao's former state (as well as Yunnan, who'd themselves been a Soviet Republic prior to China-Japan going hot) they wanted to be Commies too and now Japan's hip deep in Soviet-supported Communist revolutions.

As I've already liberated the workers of Finland and Hitler's Germany is badly stymied by the Italy-Hungary Pact of Rome and the Franco-British-Poland Allies I legit have nothing better to do than constantly piss in Japan's eyes this way. Any kind of southward thrust is off the Soviet table since Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey and Romania (?!) have formed the Sabadat Pact (Romania joined when Yugoslavia invaded them.)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

unless you are completely neglecting the air war (why) SPAA is never a good idea because SPGs and TDs exist

The problem I have with TDs is that they cost the same to produce as normal tanks, so there's pretty much no reason to ever use them over normal tanks unless the enemy has a significant tech advantage over you and you need to punch above your weight. You are almost always better off just dumping the extra factories into producing more medium tanks than you are devoting any production to TDs. Even if you are converting, it's almost always better to have more mediums in pretty much every scenario.

As for the air war, I've found using regular towed AA in infantry divisions is highly effective for causing general attrition to enemy air. AA is cheap to produce in large numbers, and if you use it in conjunction with your fighters, you can cause a steady bleed on enemy aircraft, particularly on the eastern front.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dramicus posted:

The problem I have with TDs is that they cost the same to produce as normal tanks,

no

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

yes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

big

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

A TD brigade is way smaller than a tank brigade, so the production cost is misleading as it's based off per piece of equipment produced, not per brigade outfitted.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Nah, I've had weird experiences of bombers just going through if you don't have both ticked. This is with excessive amounts of planes on either side, mind.

bombers will get through, especially if you don't have total air superiority. the problem is that flipping fighters over to intercept means your air superiority gets even worse, so you scrub/kill even fewer bombers while enemy fighters on air superiority still get their chance to scrub/kill your fighters.

Dramicus posted:

As for the air war, I've found using regular towed AA in infantry divisions is highly effective for causing general attrition to enemy air. AA is cheap to produce in large numbers, and if you use it in conjunction with your fighters, you can cause a steady bleed on enemy aircraft, particularly on the eastern front.

also good for causing general attrition to enemy air: more fighters

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

lol at all the himmler and religion stuff

anyway what on earth is this

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

trapped mouse posted:

lol at all the himmler and religion stuff

anyway what on earth is this

calm before the storm, a mod that "attempts to bring Kaiserreich Mechanics to an OTL 1933 scenario. It adds more ideologies, leaders, countries, the KR stability, popularity, and minister systems, Militias and Garrisons, and KR-style Event Chains and Focus Trees."

given the current design mentality of the current Kaiserreich team, I'm surprised it isn't bigger

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The other thing making TD's cheaper is you can "upgrade" one tier of tank down into a TD that level. So once you have T2 lights, all the T1 lights can get turned into T2 SPGs and TDs

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, a TD is only about 60% of the price of medium tank battalion.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Still learning the game, and I’m finally getting a handle on the battle orders system. I started Italy again and was able to quickly beat Ethiopia and I moved on and conquered Yugoslavia with a tank blitz followed by encirclements. Nothing to write home about, but I’m pleased with my progress so far.

I started a France game to look at their options and focuses. Germany tried to remilitarize the Rhineland. I had almost all of my troops lined up on the German border, and told them to gently caress off. Perfidious Albion abandoned me, but I stuck to my guns (really to see what a communist French civil war would look like) and the Germans backed down. No war, no troops in the Rhineland. Does this break the historical path in a significant way? I wasn’t expecting Germany to back down like they did.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Germany will come knocking again at a later date, and next time without asking. So you essentially pushed WW2 a little further back, in your favor. There will still be a bloodbath in Europe :black101:

French communist civil war is pretty tame honestly. You face a trivial opposing force which acts more like a buffer so you don’t steamroll Germany as easily before 1936 is over.Ahistorical France is pretty fun because you’re quite stronger than Germany in ‘36 and you can easily tackle Europe while everyone else goes :stare:

Don’t pick on the weak kid.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm getting a handle on the Italian game now. Covering all the little islands and ports is a pain in the arse but can't be helped. Fleets in general seem to move at an unrealistic speed though. I have 2 fleets of 3 BB 1 CV and a bunch of trash each but the opposition fleets keep running away.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ratzap posted:

Fleets in general seem to move at an unrealistic speed though. I have 2 fleets of 3 BB 1 CV and a bunch of trash each but the opposition fleets keep running away.

The trick with that is to fight under cover of your own land-based fighters and naval bombers. Then even if the enemy fleets run away, they take a couple of hits from the naval bombers as they do so, and since the AI doesn't repair its fleets eventually you'll wear them down to no ships.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Gort posted:

The trick with that is to fight under cover of your own land-based fighters and naval bombers. Then even if the enemy fleets run away, they take a couple of hits from the naval bombers as they do so, and since the AI doesn't repair its fleets eventually you'll wear them down to no ships.

Ah ok. Yeah I have air superiority and a couple of hundred naval bombers doing naval strikes but I didn't know the AI doesn't repair. I thought it was going to go on forever.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Ah ok. Yeah I have air superiority and a couple of hundred naval bombers doing naval strikes but I didn't know the AI doesn't repair. I thought it was going to go on forever.

It will repair but it's not good at it. Like, everyone damaged that tries to repair tries to cram into the nearest big fleet facility, which will rapidly get full and if it's getting port struck too welp guess everyone dies. The UK refusing to repair ships at any of their vast array of options that are outside the range of Luftwaffe bombers is a good way to see the Royal Navy sunk. Even if you're not port striking the place they're all trying to repair, you'll eventually overwhelm its capacity to repair ships and that navy'll get whittled down.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Zikan posted:

calm before the storm, a mod that "attempts to bring Kaiserreich Mechanics to an OTL 1933 scenario. It adds more ideologies, leaders, countries, the KR stability, popularity, and minister systems, Militias and Garrisons, and KR-style Event Chains and Focus Trees."

given the current design mentality of the current Kaiserreich team, I'm surprised it isn't bigger

Looking over their progress reports, it... actually kinda seems like my jam. Despite the seeming uber-Wehrabooness of that massive focus tree (it includes unlocked trees for things like coups) the designer is pretty fortright that it's being written specifically under the assumption that Hitler and Nazi-ism in general is pretty stupid and a Nazi Germany will eventually collapse into a messy heap.

Now if they can only come up with a Soviet tree that is similarly detailed. (or I'll just get off my arse and do my own)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CBTSmod/comments/a0a5sd/progress_report_32_one_player_250_events_400/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

buglord posted:

Germany will come knocking again at a later date, and next time without asking. So you essentially pushed WW2 a little further back, in your favor. There will still be a bloodbath in Europe :black101:

French communist civil war is pretty tame honestly. You face a trivial opposing force which acts more like a buffer so you don’t steamroll Germany as easily before 1936 is over.Ahistorical France is pretty fun because you’re quite stronger than Germany in ‘36 and you can easily tackle Europe while everyone else goes :stare:

Don’t pick on the weak kid.

I would really like an option as Italy to demand England and France honor the Stresa Front.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know any keys to England and France not mobilizing/declaring war on you when you Bring the Kaiser Back? I have a feeling that I have generated too much World Tension, but I have a massive army, 4 Battleships out, and a huge airforce so I was hoping they would back down. Its late 1938 if that matters.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Anyone know any keys to England and France not mobilizing/declaring war on you when you Bring the Kaiser Back? I have a feeling that I have generated too much World Tension, but I have a massive army, 4 Battleships out, and a huge airforce so I was hoping they would back down. Its late 1938 if that matters.

I've only had that happen once, I think it's mostly not being a threat when you do it (world tension, your threat). I think you can also pick W3 instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I've only had that happen once, I think it's mostly not being a threat when you do it (world tension, your threat). I think you can also pick W3 instead.
Yeah I probably did too much...
Before the Civil War I:
~Attacked Poland, taking Poznan, Danzig, and Voivodeship Silesia plus puppeted them
~Attacked Lithuania, taking Memel and fed the rest to Poland

Then after the Civil War I:
~Cheesed Anchsluss which, thanks to Alt History, let me also puppet Hungary who was guaranteeing them
~Demanded Slovenia

I know I can pick W3 but he isnt nearly as badass.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Yeah I probably did too much...
Before the Civil War I:
~Attacked Poland, taking Poznan, Danzig, and Voivodeship Silesia plus puppeted them
~Attacked Lithuania, taking Memel and fed the rest to Poland

Then after the Civil War I:
~Cheesed Anchsluss which, thanks to Alt History, let me also puppet Hungary who was guaranteeing them
~Demanded Slovenia

I know I can pick W3 but he isnt nearly as badass.

Yeah. Your threat level was way too high.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure that if you don't have any major sins to your name and have an army on their border, the Netherlands will cough up Willy 2 without a fight. You can cheese this a little by getting whatever claims you want fabricating while you're still fascist and waiting until after you're an Empire again to press them.

You can also make the demand while you don't have a standing army so that the Netherlands serves you a casus belli on a silver platter, but when I tried that I had the French and British back their Kaiser kidnapping even though I didn't have any blood on my hands, and I wasn't ready for a 1937 WW2.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the only acceptable monarchy route is making Victoria Lousie the empress :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Willy 3 is the most useful of the Willies because he's the key to getting Victoria III.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Still no release date, guess it's 2019 then. Was looking forward to play this expansion over the holidays, looks like I'll only have D3.

vvvvvvvv
Cry about it on the internet, and explain how you lost your ability to feel human?

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 28, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tahirovic posted:

Still no release date, guess it's 2019 then. Was looking forward to play this expansion over the holidays, looks like I'll only have D3.

If a release date doesn't come with today's dev diary, it's probably a safe bet it won't be out until 2019. Which is a shame but what can you do.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ok, modder people: how do I get my countrys map color to change when using the set_cosmetic_tag command? I tried adding it to cosmetic.txt but it didn't work. Actually going into colors.txt and changing it there didn't do anything either. Specifically I want Russia in Kaiserreich to use the Soviet's cosmetic tag and map color without changing to the Soviets (because their focus tree is poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So a friend bought HoI4 and I think a coop game would nice for him to learn the game. Is it smart to have one person focus research on tanks and the other on planes and then just lend lease to each other?
I feel this would free up research for doctrine which I find very valuable.