Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Lego Batman was pretty well received

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was, but I think the general consensus was that it was a bit of letdown after how good the Lego Movie was. It's not bad at all it's just not that remarkable either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Heath Ledger didn't exist, Lego Batman would be my favorite Batman movie

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Mubi has 50% off for a year sub in case anyone is interested. Thinking of going for it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wrong thread

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 24, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As a big fan of both Gareth Evans and Dan Stevens, I found the Apostle to be one big letdown. It is such an over-ambitious movie, so they swung for the fences, but in the end, it really missed. The cult segment Evans did for V/H/S (which is the best segment of those movies) is like a 100 times better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Technically on streaming (AMC's website), The Little Drummer Girl is absolutely fantastic. It's a John Le Carre story.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Sorry to bother you is up on Hulu and was commercial free, which was nice. I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters, and went in blind enough to laugh out loud when the voice cameos started

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I wanted to like Sorry to Bother You so much as a longtime fan of Boots Riley (I even bought the blu-ray off his name alone after I wasn't able to catch it in a theater), but something about it never clicked for me. I'm interested to see what he does next, though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The thing that has stuck with me the most about Sorry to Bother You is the recurring background detail of the lifetime work contract. Its way too easy to imagine a Jeff Bezos-type seeing that and thinking "Yeah...yeah..."

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but CAM was a good thriller.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I didn't see this posted but Hulu is doing a sale where you can pay 99 cents a month for a year to get the base hulu subscription. That's a steal considering it usually starts at $8 dollars a month and sometimes $6 a month. I was paying for no ads but signed up for this with a different account.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I didn't see this posted but Hulu is doing a sale where you can pay 99 cents a month for a year to get the base hulu subscription. That's a steal considering it usually starts at $8 dollars a month and sometimes $6 a month. I was paying for no ads but signed up for this with a different account.

Saw this yesterday morning and jumped on it immediately. Really had no interest in Hulu, but knew they have a pretty decent anime selection. Plus that's a drat good deal.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I saw outlaw king last night with my friends, great loving movie

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I cancelled a few months back, but just signed up for the .99/month plan. My account that I had just cancelled was only eligible for a discount down to 5.99/mo but an older one that had been inactive for a year or more was eligible for the .99 one. Also of note, upgrading to commercial free bumps it up to the full price, was kinda hoping you'd be able to just pay the difference.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slandible posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but CAM was a good thriller.

I'm gonna have to disagree hard on this. I think that ending might be one of the worst I have ever seen in a movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hulu has also been stepping up their streaming movie game, there's been a lot of great poo poo on there this year. Off the top of my head, I Tonya and Hunt for the Wilderpeople and a bunch I'm forgetting

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

precision posted:

Hulu has also been stepping up their streaming movie game, there's been a lot of great poo poo on there this year. Off the top of my head, I Tonya and Hunt for the Wilderpeople and a bunch I'm forgetting

Forgot about I, Tonya, added that to my list. Any other must see movies only available on Hulu?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Also of note, upgrading to commercial free bumps it up to the full price, was kinda hoping you'd be able to just pay the difference.

I'm betting that's their strategy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BisterdDave posted:

Forgot about I, Tonya, added that to my list. Any other must see movies only available on Hulu?

Sorry to Bother You.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sorry to Bother You.

I just resubscribed to Hulu today, because of their 99 cents per month for the next year deal. I was surprised to see they had Sorry to Bother You, which I just rented from the Redbox last month. It's REALLY good.

I also enjoyed Terminal a lot, even though it feels like a movie from 2004. It's kind of a dystopian neo-noir with a great sense of style, and Margot Robbie is excellent as always.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got done with Buster Scruggs and yeah, it was kinda mixed. The Buster Scruggs segment is excellent and very Coen Bros, and Near Algodones and All Gold Canyon were pretty fun as well. But Meal Ticket and Gal Who Got Rattled kinda overdid it, particularly the latter just dragged on after a while. Finally, Mortal Remains was very stylish, but still left me kind of cold.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I enjoyed Buster Scruggs throughout, but the first segment is so fantastic that I think the rest of the film suffers in comparison.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best way to watch Scruggs is to keep in mind that it’s a stealth horror anthology.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Perestroika posted:

Just got done with Buster Scruggs and yeah, it was kinda mixed. The Buster Scruggs segment is excellent and very Coen Bros, and Near Algodones and All Gold Canyon were pretty fun as well. But Meal Ticket and Gal Who Got Rattled kinda overdid it, particularly the latter just dragged on after a while. Finally, Mortal Remains was very stylish, but still left me kind of cold.

A recap:

1. Death is inevitable
2. Death is inevitable
3. Life is cruel
4. Life is cruel
5. Life is cruel
6. Death is inevitable

I have watched and loved every Coen film (Miller's Crossing and True Grit still being my all time favs) and loved them all until this one. It felt like a freshman film student's high budget copy of the Coens.

Also I'm not insisting that anyone agree with me. People are free to have their own opinions on art and not be told they are wrong.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 25, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just finished the recently released third season of The Last Kingdom on Netflix and it's better than the first and second season put together.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Unzip and Attack posted:

Miller's Crossing and True Grit still being my all time favs

The first one I get, the 2nd one I don't. Big Lebowski & Intolerable Cruelty for me. The first is the best buddy movie ever made imo and the 2nd is criminally underrated comedy.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I could not get into buster scruggs at all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BisterdDave posted:

Ingrid Goes West
Tabloid

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Britannia on Amazon Prime is pretty dope

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Britannia on Amazon Prime is pretty dope

Stop telling lies.

Unless you really liked the 1997 series Roar.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

old.flv posted:

I could not get into buster scruggs at all

You're wrong.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Perestroika posted:

This was my exact reaction to the film originally but the collection as a whole has grown on me in the days since my watch. Particularly interested in rewatching Mortal Remains to see if there's something there that eluded me the first time around.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I jumped on the year of Hulu for a buck a month deal and uhh is there a non-awful interface somewhere?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Teddybear posted:

I jumped on the year of Hulu for a buck a month deal and uhh is there a non-awful interface somewhere?

No.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teddybear posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=msKI1T9i710

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I see. It’s still a good deal, just... I’ll have to keep an eye on places like this to know what’s on there.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Unzip and Attack posted:

A recap:

1. Death is inevitable
2. Death is inevitable
3. Life is cruel
4. Life is cruel
5. Life is cruel
6. Death is inevitable

I have watched and loved every Coen film (Miller's Crossing and True Grit still being my all time favs) and loved them all until this one. It felt like a freshman film student's high budget copy of the Coens.

Also I'm not insisting that anyone agree with me. People are free to have their own opinions on art and not be told they are wrong.

1. Heroes of westerns are paradoxical combinations of charm & chivalry and brutality
2. Law & society are a thin, farcical rind over the roiling chaos of the world
3. Fine art can't compete on an open market with spectacle
4. Man's ability to set goals and persevere is unnatural but potent
5. Excessive sentimentality is inferior to pragmatism for survival
6. People are leveled by and united in mortality

Didn't even have to think that hard about this, come on my man

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
drat girl who got rattled. If you thought Mr. Arthur was dead, then you had an extra shot. At least try to kill the Comanche, first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Nitevision posted:

1. Heroes of westerns are paradoxical combinations of charm & chivalry and brutality
2. Law & society are a thin, farcical rind over the roiling chaos of the world
3. Fine art can't compete on an open market with spectacle
4. Man's ability to set goals and persevere is unnatural but potent
5. Excessive sentimentality is inferior to pragmatism for survival
6. People are leveled by and united in mortality

Didn't even have to think that hard about this, come on my man

lets theme em how bout
'
1. Not all small businesses are moral
2. Property theft is the only enforced crime
3. Your boss isn't your friend
4. Relentless pursuit of personal profit leads to the slow erosion of nature