Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Haifisch posted:

My (M31) best friend (M33) is broke, I've been offering him a job in the restaurant I work for months and today he confessed he doesn't want to be a server because it' 'low' and people'd lose respect for him. I'm deeply offended.

[UPDATE] My friend's broke so I offered him a job as a waiter, he turned it down saying it's 'low' and not respected. Today he approached me with some wild demands in order to accept my help.
I'm actually impressed with how gigantic the friend's ego is. "I've never worked a developer job but I expect to be hired as a senior engineer." "Being a waiter is too low-class for me, but I will deign to be hired as a manager despite no experience."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

emptyspace posted:

Like most r/relationships bullshit, this could've been avoided with a simple conversation with the SO. "Hey, babe... my buddy's planning on proposing to his gf, and asked me to hold the ring for him." Boom, crisis averted.

Maybe he wasn't counting on this woman to snoop through his drawers, therefor this should never have been a problem nor something she needed to be aware of.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

emptyspace posted:

Like most r/relationships bullshit, this could've been avoided with a simple conversation with the SO. "Hey, babe... my buddy's planning on proposing to his gf, and asked me to hold the ring for him." Boom, crisis averted.

Maybe I'm just old and don't remember what it's like to be in your 20's and dumb as gently caress, but it seems like 90% of these people don't even talk to the person they're dating/living with/married to.

Having this crisis is the best thing that ever happened to this guy if he nuts up and breaks up with his nightmare golddigger GF.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

emptyspace posted:

Maybe I'm just old and don't remember what it's like to be in your 20's and dumb as gently caress, but it seems like 90% of these people don't even talk to the person they're dating/living with/married to.

...what? I agree it could have been avoided with a simple conversation, but it's one that had to be initiated by the party who searched her partner's sock drawer and jumped to conclusions.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Are Open Relationships Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Relationship Like Nigga Just Break Up Haha

"We're perfect for each other, except she uses me as her emotional punching bag when rejected."

Straight White Shark posted:

me (20,F) and bf (26,M) of 1+ years facing odd behaviour after playfights.

"We're perfect for each other, except he rejects me using him as my physical punching bag"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

How you getting raised when at 20 goddamn years old you still need to learn the "other people also feel pain, like unto your own, when struck or pushed" lesson. This lady was failed hard by everyone responsible for socializing her, from kindergarten on.

E: She's beating the odds too, aren't people biased to punish girls more for roughhousing? She didn't even have the societal cover of "boys will be boys."

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 25, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Society also tells girls that they are categorically weak, so much so that the idea of a man being hurt by a woman is laughable.

I know I didn't realise that my 'playful' hits were way undercalibrated for way longer than I should. Part of the problem being that a lot of guys never said "whoa, that hurt" because of that whole 'being hurt by a woman being laughable' thing.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 25, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well they are generally weaker than men, quite a lot so

Doesn't mean that some weak men cant fall victim to strong girls tho

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 25, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Incoherence posted:

I'm actually impressed with how gigantic the friend's ego is. "I've never worked a developer job but I expect to be hired as a senior engineer." "Being a waiter is too low-class for me, but I will deign to be hired as a manager despite no experience."

This is why the best way to lose sympathy with those in need is to work with them.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Maybe he wasn't counting on this woman to snoop through his drawers, therefor this should never have been a problem nor something she needed to be aware of.

Yes - the conversation should have been "Don't secretly paw through my poo poo and invade my privacy."

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

...what? I agree it could have been avoided with a simple conversation, but it's one that had to be initiated by the party who searched her partner's sock drawer and jumped to conclusions.

Well, if he told her he was holding the ring for his friend whenever he brought it into the house, she wouldn't have jumped to conclusions when she found it. I'm not saying she's a good person for jumping to conclusions and being petty and vindictive, but a little heads-up on his part wouldn't hurt.

I don't even live with my gf, and I could give 2 shits if she goes through my sock drawer at my place or hers. We both know what's in there... socks. If she somehow found an engagement ring in there that I didn't tell her about, I wouldn't blame her for thinking it was a surprise for her. I would blame her if she went all over social media screaming about her "stolen" ring, though. So, this dude dodged a bullet.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

spinst posted:

My (26M) girlfriend (24F) found an engagement ring I was keeping safe for my friend until he was ready to propose. She thought it was for her and is furious that it wasn't.

I've been dating my girlfriend Laura for just over two years. We met as I was finishing my masters and she was in her last year of undergrad as we attended the same university. We have a pretty strong relationship overall, we get along well and have pretty similar views/goals in life, and I love her a great deal. She's definitely been the healthiest relationship I've ever had and I see a strong future with her.

This weekend has been awful, however. My best friend Rob came to me about a month ago and told me that he had a plan to propose to his long term girlfriend Grace of about seven years. The problem was that they live together and she's a very clean person, and he was afraid she might find the ring while cleaning before he was ready to propose. I offered to hide it for him at my house until he was ready, and he handed it over. I hid it in the back of my sock drawer and honestly kind of forgot about it until last Monday when he asked for it back. He (successfully!) proposed to Grace yesterday, and she posted a picture of the two of them on her instagram with the ring clearly visible.

Literally five minutes after she posted, Laura rang me absolutely fuming. She told me she'd found that ring three weeks ago, so why had I given it to Rob for Grace when I'd clearly chosen it especially for her? Was Grace mocking her with her post, just rubbing her nose into the fact that she'd "stolen" her ring? I tried to talk her down and explain that I'd just been keeping it safe for Rob and that I'd never intended to propose to her with it but that only made her more upset and she starting screaming at me that I'd absolutely built up her hopes and just destroyed them. She hung up on me, then texted me that I had three months to propose to her with "a better ring than Grace's" or she's going to break up with me.

Am I wrong for thinking this is a red flag? I know that she probably was really excited and I absolutely never meant to hurt her feelings with all of this, but the ring was never for her and she never should have known about it. We don't live together and I don't know what she was doing snooping in my drawers, or when she had the time to look in there, or what she was looking for her. More than that, I am 100% not ready for marriage. We've only been together for two years, haven't lived together, haven't even talked about marriage yet. I want to be living together for at least a year before we get engaged.

What do I do? I totally understand why she'd be upset but I just feel like she's invaded my privacy by looking through my stuff, and that I'm being treated badly for something that was never meant as a snub towards her. This is the first big fight we've had and I'm not sure if I'm just seeing red flags because I'm hurt, or if they're really there.

TL;DR: Girlfriend snooped and found a ring that I was keeping safe for a friend. She's angry that the ring wasn't for her, is demanding a proposal by Valentine's day or the relationship's off. Need help determining what my next move should be.

First they get mad when you're stashing drugs for you but claim "it's for a friend" due to lying, and now they get mad about actually stashing an engagement ring for a friend but they assume it's for you? Make up your drat minds!!!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

13Pandora13 posted:

Having this crisis is the best thing that ever happened to this guy if he nuts up and breaks up with his nightmare golddigger GF.

Seriously.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

emptyspace posted:

Well, if he told her he was holding the ring for his friend whenever he brought it into the house, she wouldn't have jumped to conclusions when she found it. I'm not saying she's a good person for jumping to conclusions and being petty and vindictive, but a little heads-up on his part wouldn't hurt.

I don't even live with my gf, and I could give 2 shits if she goes through my sock drawer at my place or hers. We both know what's in there... socks. If she somehow found an engagement ring in there that I didn't tell her about, I wouldn't blame her for thinking it was a surprise for her. I would blame her if she went all over social media screaming about her "stolen" ring, though. So, this dude dodged a bullet.

Maybe she's the kind of person who can't keep her mouth shut and would have blabbed about it to their other friends and the girl the ring was actually for, and he was trying to keep it secret for his friend?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

She doesn't live there and has no reason to go through his sock drawer. She self-owned herself out of a relationship by being an idiot. I hope her next boyfriend either doesn't work and sponges off her, or wants to poop on her.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Unemployed guy might be treading into actual narcissistic personality disorder. If he was more desperate or motivated he would probably accept "lower" jobs but then show up and immediately start acting as if he is in a higher position than he actually is and demanding the rewards and authority associated with his imagined position. But it could also just be a symptom of being raised at the worst level of spoilt, where you are rich enough that you aren't made to get a job as soon as you legally able or even during uni, but not so rich that your connections earn you guaranteed employment.

Pick posted:

This is why the best way to lose sympathy with those in need is to work with them.

Do you say that from personal experience working with those in need?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

21st Cherry boy posted:

Maybe she's the kind of person who can't keep her mouth shut and would have blabbed about it to their other friends and the girl the ring was actually for, and he was trying to keep it secret for his friend?

Yeah, I can totally see this being the case - having to go back to those girlfriends she excitedly told already only to have to sheepishly say "actually it wasn't for me" would be pretty embarrassing so she's lashing out at him.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moon Atari posted:

But it could also just be a symptom of being raised at the worst level of spoilt, where you are rich enough that you aren't made to get a job as soon as you legally able or even during uni, but not so rich that your connections earn you guaranteed employment.
His mom was a teacher and his dad's a bus driver, so I somehow doubt that.

I wonder how much of their time they spend wondering what went wrong with him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Well they are generally weaker than men, quite a lot so

Doesn't mean that some weak men cant fall victim to strong girls tho

fascinating, if true...

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

She doesn't live there and has no reason to go through his sock drawer. She self-owned herself out of a relationship by being an idiot. I hope her next boyfriend either doesn't work and sponges off her, or wants to poop on her.

I hope we can all agree that the sock drawer is a stupid place to hide things.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

Don't know about Pick, but I can say it from personal experience. The homeless shelter I used to volunteer at in San Francisco had an ornate sign reminding us that homeless people would never make us feel like our job was worthwhile, and that it was important to perform charity for charity's sake.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Haifisch posted:

His mom was a teacher and his dad's a bus driver, so I somehow doubt that.

It could still be that he has just never had to work before and now it is too late for him to undergo the psychological development through experience that stops you from being an entitled poo poo, especially since he is adapted to a lifestyle of little funds. Parents funded him during his teens and then he could have been recieving student welfare during his uni days, or they may still have been paying his daily expenses while he lived at home.

Personally, I think you were raised wrong if you don't have burn scars from spending your early teens surrounded by deep fryers and other children.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

emptyspace posted:

Not if you're the only person living in the domicile. It's not like he was hiding the freaking death star plans, he was just doing a favor for a friend. The lady is jumping the gun and doesn't seem to respect the guy's space.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

The soup kitchen where my mom helps out a lot and I help some, got death threats that we couldn't give every family a turkey this year in their free thanksgiving basket

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pick posted:

The soup kitchen where my mom helps out a lot and I help some, got death threats that we couldn't give every family a turkey this year in their free thanksgiving basket

That's horrid, but I've been on both sides of the soup kitchen and while it's easy to find detestable people in there, the spirit of charity is as much dispassion as compassion. Bad folks abound, but you're still feeding the good ones.

Hell, I remember going in for a turkey and the people apologized to me and gave me other stuff instead. I was happy to just have food.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My buddy gave me his poo to hold on so he could surprise his girlfriend. My wife was so angry when his gf posted it on facebook. Now I have 3 months to make a bigger poo on my wife and I just don't think I can stay sober long enough to produce that.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

phasmid posted:

the spirit of charity is as much dispassion as compassion.

That's what it's all about. They tend to have acquired all sorts of emotional trauma, and been infected with dysfunctional communication, lifestyle and thought patterns from their equally or even more messed up parents/family situation. Not being effected by it is the charity, or an essential part of the work, since if they could interact in a healthier manner they might not need it. Of course, it doesn't make you a bad person if you can't handle it. You can just direct your altruism towards their children (as there are charities specifically dedicated to breaking the cycle by targeting their effort at kids). Or help the ill or animals or the environment, since there are needs going unmet everywhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

That's what it's all about. They tend to have acquired all sorts of emotional trauma, and been infected with dysfunctional communication, lifestyle and thought patterns from their equally or even more messed up parents/family situation. Not being effected by it is the charity, or an essential part of the work, since if they could interact in a healthier manner they might not need it. Of course, it doesn't make you a bad person if you can't handle it. You can just direct your altruism towards their children (as there are charities specifically dedicated to breaking the cycle by targeting their effort at kids). Or help the ill or animals or the environment, since there are needs going unmet everywhere.

What's the point when someone has been hurt sufficiently that they're allowed to issue death threats to volunteers ,

or, thread-relatedly, that it's wrong to break up with them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
volunteer: ha ha no it's fine. death threats don't bother me!*

*always, 100% of the time, has a history of bad relationships and is likely in one riiight nooow

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

What's the point when someone has been hurt sufficiently that they're allowed to issue death threats to volunteers ,

first one: dunno, but that's where they are at with our current govt system of "caring" for our most vulnerable citizens

second: never, never, always :sever:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Dude needs to go Full Pete on that psycho who’s demanding a proposal within three months that includes a better one than she found rummaging through his smalls or he’ll be trying to outdo the Joneses for the rest of his time with her.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Clark Nova posted:

JFC she is going to get murdered trying to return his goddamn funko pops.

Speaking of this, did anyone ever post the Funko contract dude???

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

emptyspace posted:

He's hiding it from his friend's girlfriend, not from his girlfriend.

monkeytennis posted:

Dude needs to go Full Pete on that psycho who’s demanding a proposal within three months that includes a better one than she found rummaging through his smalls or he’ll be trying to outdo the Joneses for the rest of his time with her.

Seriously, she just let her Bridezilla-self slip. Imagine her leading up to and organizing the wedding. You think that poo poo gets better after the wedding? HELL. NO. She'll just get fatter and get worse and worse haircuts.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

number 1 snake fan posted:

Speaking of this, did anyone ever post the Funko contract dude???

Yeah, that's come up in the thread a couple of times. I think someone even posted a picture of him and his girlfriend, or at least an extremely similar pair of failures with a basement stacked wall to wall with figurines

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's a certain subset of people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near instagram (well social media in general, but instagram seems to get the worst of it) because they'll work themselves into a fury when their life doesn't compare favorably to someone else's extremely cherry-picked conspicuous consumption photos

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pick posted:

The relationship between your clients in charitable work is not analogous to a romantic relationship and you shouldn't be seeking the same sort of emotional experience out of it. Also kind of a bad look to suggest since "altruistic people are constant emotional matrys who have bad relationships" is literally a point that ayn rand makes repeatedly throughout The Fountainhead (while endorsing rapelationships). As the higher functioning person you are not, or should not be, vulnerable to emotional manipulation. Rather, yours is the position of power and potential control since they are dependent on your service whether they recognize it or not. Provided you have adequate security provisions or training you should be able to handle threats, which are generally just passing outbursts.

The point isn't to receive direct emotional compensation from your interactions, and neither is it to gatekeep who deserves support or to punish through denial of service. They wouldn't make it to the stage of requiring last resort charity if being punished and deprived could improve them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

My buddy gave me his poo to hold on so he could surprise his girlfriend. My wife was so angry when his gf posted it on facebook. Now I have 3 months to make a bigger poo on my wife and I just don't think I can stay sober long enough to produce that.

Hiding it in the sock drawer would be a rare case of actual poopsocking

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We had a guy show up and demand a salt free Thanksgiving dinner and when informed that ain't a thing he started screaming about being allergic to salt until the sheriff's deputies showed up.

Happy Holidays, y'all.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Moon Atari posted:

The relationship between your clients in charitable work is not analogous to a romantic relationship and you shouldn't be seeking the same sort of emotional experience out of it. Also kind of a bad look to suggest since "altruistic people are constant emotional matrys who have bad relationships" is literally a point that ayn rand makes repeatedly throughout The Fountainhead (while endorsing rapelationships). As the higher functioning person you are not, or should not be, vulnerable to emotional manipulation. Rather, yours is the position of power and potential control since they are dependent on your service whether they recognize it or not. Provided you have adequate security provisions or training you should be able to handle threats, which are generally just passing outbursts.

The point isn't to receive direct emotional compensation from your interactions, and neither is it to gatekeep who deserves support or to punish through denial of service. They wouldn't make it to the stage of requiring last resort charity if being punished and deprived could improve them.

Thank you, Moon Atari. You put it much better than I did. :)

tactlessbastard posted:

We had a guy show up and demand a salt free Thanksgiving dinner and when informed that ain't a thing he started screaming about being allergic to salt until the sheriff's deputies showed up.

Happy Holidays, y'all.

Now I'm just wondering if a person can be allergic to salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

About 6 years ago my sister had the terrible misfortune of dating a guy that should would later come to regret. She had been dating "Chad" for little over a year. I had always thought the guy to be kind of a jerk, but I was her older brother, so naturally I would think that way.

Anyway, the more she got to know the guy the more she had realized all the strange nuances and quirks that he had. He had to have his bed made just a certain way every day, or he couldn't leave the house. He had some strange things that he would have to do before he left his house in the morning. Like
turning off light switches in a particular order your basic obsessive-compulsive disorder kind of guy.

Well my sister thought most of this was tolerable and she could deal with it for the time being. During the summer she and Chad had decided to go to the lake to do some swimming, he was downstairs getting the rest of his stuff ready for their trip to the lake.

She had gone up to his room to change and realized she didn't bring anything with her to put her bathing suit and other things in. She had remembered that she bought him a nice Nike duffel bag for Christmas a few months prior, she had looked around the room and in his closets for the bag, but it was nowhere to be found. Lastly she looked under the bed to see if it had been stowed there, sure enough, it was right there the whole time.

She pulled out the bag and decided to empty the contents so she could put her things in it. Much to her surprise it was filled with socks, filled entirely with socks that is. My sister told me that she almost dismissed the fact that
the bag was full of them, but her thoughts quickly changed when she picked one of them up and it was heavy and sort of "clumpy" She lifted the sock up only to have the contents fall to the floor. Much to her dismay she realized that Chad had been storing his turds in his socks. Yep, the same duffel bag that she had given to him for Christmas just a few months before was now being used to house
his excrement.

Being a person of sound mind she knew this obviously wasn't proper behavior. She immediately confronted him and he pretty much lost it, as would anybody who got caught hiding turds in socks under your bed. It didn't really end there, she tried to break up with him and he had a nervous break down, then after that we never really heard from him again.

The term poopsock originated in this story from iirc GBS over a decade ago