Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'll have just enough time to watch it and buy all the merch before I leave Japan. Blessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

superLINUS posted:

the WTF of High School Boys Marry Monsters.

From few pages back, but whaaat?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zernach posted:

From few pages back, but whaaat?

Jingai-san no Yome.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Darth Walrus posted:

Jingai-san no Yome.

Yeah, this. It's a very short show - like 3 minutes - about a world where it's totally normal for high school boys to become the wives (yes, wives) of weird creatures. And it's lovely.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Strong yuri this season.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spyce really starting to lose me even if it has Viking this week

Also I'd say it's 100% sure Hatsume is the traitor not that I care too much

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I caught a bit of zombieland saga's last episode while my so was watching it and I really, really didn't expect an anime to treat that topic well at all. I was kinda blown away!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I caught a bit of zombieland saga's last episode while my so was watching it and I really, really didn't expect an anime to treat that topic well at all. I was kinda blown away!
There's a few anime and a shitton of manga that have treated that topic well. Not posting this in a 'how dare you not know this' way but a 'it's cool and it's sad that a combination of group orientalism and general ignorance of more niche shows has led to people not knowing'

in conclusion, double house is a good manga

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's not really surprising that it happened in any Japanese media, but it is surprising that it has happened in a mainstream anime and that she's actually a character of consequence instead of being a super boring side character.

edit: in the same way it's surprising when a prime time american show doesn't gently caress up trans characters.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 26, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Back in the 80's Dirty Pair had an episode where the two main chars basically turned to the screen and said "trans women are women and in the space year 3000X it's normal and common for people to transition"

not posting this to gotcha anyone I just really like Dirty Pair

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I also love Dirty Pair

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

There's a few anime and a shitton of manga that have treated that topic well. Not posting this in a 'how dare you not know this' way but a 'it's cool and it's sad that a combination of group orientalism and general ignorance of more niche shows has led to people not knowing'

in conclusion, double house is a good manga

I think lack of visibility is being taken as "it's completely new and we brought it to them" instead of "it always existed and no one bothered to promote/support it until recently", which is a worrying implication. As for other things that would be relevant to LGBT watchers/readers, the transformative sense you mentioned where there's ever an assertion of a previous state that contradicts an individual's current and asserted state, but I'm also talking out of my rear end here cause that's just my interpretation of what I've seen. It might be complete bullshit.

There's also the whole "ddddddurrrrrrrrrrrrrr japan doesn't have the concept therefore not trans" which is bull cause it's all nomenclature anyway. There is nothing about nationalities that make it so that humans have completely different experiences and feelings, what the gently caress guys.

DisDisDis posted:

Back in the 80's Dirty Pair had an episode where the two main chars basically turned to the screen and said "trans women are women and in the space year 3000X it's normal and common for people to transition"

not posting this to gotcha anyone I just really like Dirty Pair

I have heard good things about it but I never watched it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_CewGiHsI

Watch project eden at least, its rad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maya's VA is really, really trying in this AA case and it's helping make it less lovely, god bless her. Also I'm kinda of surprised that Japan is apparently extremely thirsty for her?

Pollyanna posted:

I think lack of visibility is being taken as "it's completely new and we brought it to them" instead of "it always existed and no one bothered to promote/support it until recently", which is a worrying implication. As for other things that would be relevant to LGBT watchers/readers, the transformative sense you mentioned where there's ever an assertion of a previous state that contradicts an individual's current and asserted state, but I'm also talking out of my rear end here cause that's just my interpretation of what I've seen. It might be complete bullshit.

There's also the thing with the One Piece guy being exceptionally lovely about it, and One Piece is pretty big.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the cafe case is good, it's 3-2 that sucks

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Motto posted:

the cafe case is good, it's 3-2 that sucks

I hate the fake phoenix thing, it's so dumb it makes me unable to enjoy the case. That's just me being weird tho :shrug:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Maya's VA is really, really trying in this AA case and it's helping make it less lovely, god bless her. Also I'm kinda of surprised that Japan is apparently extremely thirsty for her?
I'm not surprised, but is that affecting the show? Are they fanservicing Maya?

More than they already did in the games via Mia, anyway.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's pretty lame, bro.

tigre owns and so does the mental mob daughter

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Grapplejack posted:

thirsty for aoi yuuki or maya? not that the outcome changes by answer here

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm not surprised, but is that affecting the show? Are they fanservicing Maya?

More than they already did in the games via Mia, anyway.

A little bit here and there, enough for me to notice it at least.

Space Flower posted:

thirsty for aoi yuuki or maya? not that the outcome changes by answer here

Maya. Her VA brings a lot of energy to the show. Actually the VAs for all the female characters are extremely good in the AA anime, they're all having fun with the roles and you can tell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Maya. Her VA brings a lot of energy to the show. Actually the VAs for all the female characters are extremely good in the AA anime, they're all having fun with the roles and you can tell.

That's Aoi Yuuki. She's very good. Got range, too.

(Her enthusiasm when discussing NieR Automata is something to behold.)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Moreso than anything else Aoi Yuuki made Youjo Senki one of my all time favourite anime. She's that good as Tanya.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

Moreso than anything else Aoi Yuuki made Youjo Senki one of my all time favourite anime. She's that good as Tanya.
Also, I don't know if she's previously done it, but she can play an incredibly scamp-y young boy super well (Borr in this season's SSSS.GRIDMAN, to be precise). :3:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wow, that's incredibly stylish (and 80s).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

There's also the thing with the One Piece guy being exceptionally lovely about it, and One Piece is pretty big.
Persona is lovely about it too, though for some reason Persona has been elected as a woke series. Probably also a factor in why some people have these weird views, if they're going 'persona woke... but weird about trans??' I've definitely seen people going down that road, anyway.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

Persona is lovely about it too, though for some reason Persona has been elected as a woke series. Probably also a factor in why some people have these weird views, if they're going 'persona woke... but weird about trans??' I've definitely seen people going down that road, anyway.

I can only really talk about 5, but it starts off woke but slowly degenerates over the course of the game whilst trying to keep a veneer on (but usually failing). Whilst I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, the story could have really used some work (and a writer who doesn't have weird ideas about the impossibility of guy/girl friendships).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well good news the series has changed head writers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I can only really talk about 5, but it starts off woke but slowly degenerates over the course of the game whilst trying to keep a veneer on (but usually failing). Whilst I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, the story could have really used some work (and a writer who doesn't have weird ideas about the impossibility of guy/girl friendships).
3 just straight up has a sequence where you see a transwoman on the beach and junpei hits on her before realizing shes trans and freaks out and there's a line about her stubble and then she acts like a pedophile

persona 3 portable removed that bit and also had actual lesbian romance options and it seems like the director of p3p would be the heir apparent to persona now that the previous director has left with a lot of the senior staff to go make some fantasy rpg, so, here's hoping.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Endorph posted:

3 just straight up has a sequence where you see a transwoman on the beach and junpei hits on her before realizing shes trans and freaks out and there's a line about her stubble and then she acts like a pedophile

persona 3 portable removed that bit and also had actual lesbian romance options and it seems like the director of p3p would be the heir apparent to persona now that the previous director has left with a lot of the senior staff to go make some fantasy rpg, so, here's hoping.

Persona 5, amongst other things, makes jokes about gay people being extremely predatory and preying on young boys. Several times.
The Persona series did get some brownie points with some of the stuff they did in Persona 4, especially in regards to young people being awkward or lovely and struggling with their sexuality and place in the world. But I would say they have regressed somewhat when it comes to being woke.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
imo it doesn't get brownie points for vaguely handwaving at the idea of teens trying to figure out their sexuality but never even trying to do it with you telling the possibly trans-man that You Like Them Better As A Girl and then have the guy's who supposed to be your Best Friend making homophobic jokes and acting like crossdressing is some sin against god

persona 4 sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 4's approach to teenage insecurity was incredibly shallow and only really landed a few interesting beats on a handful of characters that still came out kind of underexplored due to the game's problem with having characters just fade into the background after their arc of the main plot is over, it repeated the same lovely gag between yosuke and kanji for the entire game with zero acknowledgment of how lovely it was and naoto's social link just sucked

persona 4 might be the most style over substance out of all of them because without that game's flashy visual direction and soundtrack it's just, the most conservative story about teenage insecurity in any jrpg ever made and the only thing that arguably makes it better than persona 3 or 5 is that yosuke's gag can theoretically be argued as a part of his character and not literally just someone on the dev team openly expressing a hatred of gay people

if anything persona 4 is a huge regression on persona 2, where you could literally just, be gay, and that was just a thing you could do, and everyone in your party was okay with it. it's not an insanely deep exploration of homosexuality but at least it has the guts to officially confirm if you pick that option that, yes, you and your boyfriend are gay. also low-key had a canon lesbian character who you could help survive against the nazi party

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 26, 2018

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Expect My Mom posted:

persona 4 sucks

You're not wrong. Maybe I should've phrased that differently. I remember people being keen on it at the time, but it's been forever since I've seen the game.
I was mostly trying to focus on Persona 5 being worse.

For what it's worth, Persona 5 made me think that whatever social awareness there might be to the series, it might've just been due to translation efforts at the time.
To get away from just piling onto the game, how did the anime turn out, even? I haven't seen much Mention of it. I watched the first episode and it didn't really seem like it added anything worthwhile.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They let the director make a nice OP for the literal last episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they got a director who's absurdly good at weird abstract visuals and action scenes and allowed him to do precisely none of the things he's good at until like the last 1/3 of the show

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there was a bit more Persona 5 MC x Goro Akechi shipping which is basically the subtext of that game anyway so I love that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
remember when the devil survivor 2 anime went wild with shipping the MC and Yamato

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I love Persona 5 but I have to admit that I like the idea of it more than the game itself.

The game has so many traces of rewrites and abandoned plots that its woke/awfulness duality is not that surprising. Hopefully if it ever gets a Golden edition its problems will get sanded down.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Persona 5 is capital b Busted, but if they release a Golden version with an actual Goro social link and let you date him, I'll buy that Day One, cowboy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's no duality of woke to persona, the development team for 3-5 just recognized that centering the themes of the games around things that seemed progressive on the surface would get attention even if they didn't actually give a coherent poo poo about any of it. that director literally hasn't made a game that doesn't have a lovely joke about gay people and the fantasy game he's directing will probably have something like that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the part of persona 5 where you go to hawaii and its like you've walked into a different dimension because every single character acts differently and they act like mashima isnt in on the phantom thieves stuff