Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Surec posted:

Channeling his adoptive papa now, I see.

Yeah I was thinking this too. It's a combination of Askeladd's goading and I hope Thors' ultimate surewin strategy

1. Punch your opponent's jaw into a separate plane of existence
2. Simply the best begins to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Closing up plot holes with a new chapter of A Bride's Story. We've all been waiting for this, and I'm gonna say it was worth it.

Don't forget to mark your calendars for the official volume 10, coming this month on the 27th in print or digital. Spans from Karluk Goes Camping through Smith's first day in Ankara, iirc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
haha, was just reading that. I don't know if anyone actually was asking for that chapter, but damned if I'm not happy it's what we got! :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
An entire chapter of the magnificent adventures of Tick Tock is all I could have ever asked for.
I'd have asked for it back though

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Getting a bunch of wandering mystics to give up their magical blessed Russian watch seems like it'd be difficult.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tick Tock gets more character development in one chapter than some characters get in an entire manga.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

On latest Otoyomegatari,
I forgot, the crest on the watch is Smith's family crest, right.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

FortMan posted:

On latest Otoyomegatari,
I forgot, the crest on the watch is Smith's family crest, right.

it was his watch so presumably yes, but if you want to get all game theory the line cuts off before he says anything explicit.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I presume he had more tact than blurting out anything and just stopped himself.

Loving the chapter.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Been working my way through Ad Astra. Seriously epic manga about Hannibal vs Scipio.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new vinland saga

garm has a broke brain

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Vinland Saga: a heartwarming tale of víkingr friendship.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Afro Thorkell is the best :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

golden bubble posted:

Vinland Saga: a heartwarming tale of víkingr friendship.

"Friends" are people whom you try to kill, right?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Garm is literally a shounen protag in how he thinks

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

folks.... garm is good now

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I met him, fifteen chapters ago. I was told there was nothing to his character. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this 6 year-old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes; the devil's eyes. I spent eight chapters trying to understand him, and then another seven trying to ignore because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply… evil.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 26, 2018

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

^nice

I recently binged through Vinland Saga and I love it! That said I hope Hild's character develops a bit more some time soon. For the most part I really like her as a character, but the whole point of the narrative for a while has been pacifism so it's a little jarring to have a character say "hey don't kill anyone or I'll kill you" every time there's any conflict.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

KillerQueen posted:

^nice

I recently binged through Vinland Saga and I love it! That said I hope Hild's character develops a bit more some time soon. For the most part I really like her as a character, but the whole point of the narrative for a while has been pacifism so it's a little jarring to have a character say "hey don't kill anyone or I'll kill you" every time there's any conflict.

It does seem a bit backwards. Thorfinn has already demonstrated his commitment to pacifism when it didn't benefit him at all to do so, many times. Putting the threat of death on top of that feels like a step backwards, narratively, even though I like Hild's backstory.

Also, in this chapter in particular, she didn't need to say anything. Her being there is enough to get the point across.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hild doesn’t believe in pacifism at all. She just believes Einor who is vouching that Thorfinn became a good person who deserves to live.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Hilda really annoys me.

She's seen what Thorfin can do and he could kill her easily. Yet she acts as though she has all the power. I really don't get it, she's kind of one note that way. No warming up at all to any of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I took it this time as more reminding herself because she'S starting to not hate him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsieurChoc posted:

I took it this time as more reminding herself because she'S starting to not hate him.

Yeah. I really like Hild. It makes sense that she would constantly be reminding him not to gently caress up, as she would very much like to kill Thorfin and she wants to make sure he knows that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah. I really like Hild. It makes sense that she would constantly be reminding him not to gently caress up, as she would very much like to kill Thorfin and she wants to make sure he knows that.

But if he did then she wouldn't be able to. Unless she poisons him again. He's the kind of guy who catches arrows, she wouldn't beat him if he turned away from the path of peace.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KillerQueen posted:

^nice

Thor films always like "oh right, you're there" afterward though, like he's never really considered her threats(or her, as a threat) in the heat of the moment, only after

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hamelekim posted:

Hilda really annoys me.

She's seen what Thorfin can do and he could kill her easily. Yet she acts as though she has all the power. I really don't get it, she's kind of one note that way. No warming up at all to any of them.

Yeah, it's almost like she acts like she has all the power in the situation to convince herself that everything she's doing and has done is right and just.

Really makes you think. :thunk:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hamelekim posted:

Hilda really annoys me.

uh, hild had thorfin dead to rights by the end of their fight. even if he had been going to kill. sure he's not going to be caught off guard by her reload speed again, but she solidly won their only fight and was never particularly on the backfoot in a way to suggest that "he could kill her easily"

not to defend hild as a character, that viewpoint just seems really at odds with the text

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thorfinn could totally beat Hild in a fight. That's why she doesn't fight, she loving cheats.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Hilda's lines are there to remind you that she's having huge difficulties reconciling the Thorfinn she knew (and probably exaggerated in her memories) over the Thorfinn she can see right in front of her now.

Could Thorfinn beat her now? I'm gonna say it's a solid maybe.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Venuz Patrol posted:

folks.... garm is good now

Hild also remembers Thorfinn as a horrible allblack monster

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really like the moment where Thorfinn does the grab and says "Yes, I see." They showed the flashback to when it happened in a panel, but there Askeladd specifically asks, "See?" Went back to review it (chapter 46 if anyone's interested).

Also yeah, in the Thorfinn vs Hild battle, Hild had basically incapacitated Thorfinn. That's explicit, Thorfinn was on the verge of being executed.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hild is one of the most badass characters in the series. A proper genius who will systematically wreck you if she gets the chance.

Also a prime example of the barrenness of revenge. With her skills and knowledge she could have brought so much good to people but as she is right now she is mostly just a killer. \she is so focused on monitoring Thorfinn that she hasn't done much else.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there is more than enough time left in this plot for hild to stop making clint eastwood poses with her crossbow and decide to be the vinland expedition's chief engineer

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Totally. To clarify I really like Hild, and a lot about her really fits the theme of the story, I just want her to have a bit more to do soon.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Munin posted:

Hild is one of the most badass characters in the series. A proper genius who will systematically wreck you if she gets the chance.

Also a prime example of the barrenness of revenge. With her skills and knowledge she could have brought so much good to people but as she is right now she is mostly just a killer. \she is so focused on monitoring Thorfinn that she hasn't done much else.

This is why I love Hild - her whole life is a living example of how important Thorfin's mission is. She could have done amazing things in a good world, but had it all taken from her by war. Now she's just a hate-filled killer. She's got time to change, though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

KillerQueen posted:

Totally. To clarify I really like Hild, and a lot about her really fits the theme of the story, I just want her to have a bit more to do soon.

:agreed:

I don't know how soon it'll happen, but I would also like for the two of them to discuss all the poo poo that went down during all of this later. I guess I'm just ready for this battle to end, and while it is getting there I'm only finding out one month at a time.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Otoyomegatari with some pretty impressive detail work again in the marketplace. And Talas is having fun! Hooray!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, it's actually really refreshing to see her so playful and joyful :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dammit, hug her you fool!