Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

My eye twitches every time I see Mitsuke and not Mitsuki.

You have the lamest eyehax, but it shouldn't bug you anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Larryb posted:

The Boruto anime has always been good, it's the manga that sucks.

Nah, the manga is good. I look forward to it each month. More than the anime at this point.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The manga dude has a really blatant & creepy fixation on Sarada to the point where I just nope'd out after a point.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The manga has a few problems to it. First and foremost is that it's monthly, which is certainly much better for the health of everyone involved, but also means it can't really...DO anything. It kinda has to go from plot A, to B, to C, with little time to actually make me care about why this plot is happening because nobody feels like a character to me yet.

The anime, while plodding and lacking a cohesive through-line to follow beyond its general theme of children being hosed over by the last remnants of the old ways even in peacetime, has a lot more room to wiggle and just let its characters be characters. Sure there's the occasional hiccup born of being written by a team instead of one person, but overall I enjoy it more.

Also the Exam arc just felt like it had way more weight to it in the anime than the manga or the movie. It made me give a poo poo that Boruto was cheating rather than making me think 'they're NINJA they're SUPPOSED to cheat'

I think the difference is that the anime focuses on character and setting, which is what drew me to Naruto, while the manga focuses on plot, which...is honestly where I always felt Naruto fell flat.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
The Sasuke Mitsuki retrieval arc continues because of course Naruto Boruto won't stop even if the person fights them. So far liking the arc though.

Anyway next week looks like were actually going to see the Stone village. I don't think that was ever shown before, so that'll be interesting.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Jesus Christ I can't unsee that now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unfavorable comparison for my friend mitsuki's good momdad/dadmom

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'm dead

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I'm trying to decide who's being insulted here.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seeing as how we do not crown a tsarina in this country, obviously the lizard-person is the injured party here.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Which one though?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
:thejoke:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hooo boy, I admit I did not see that coming. Gripping stuff, can't wait for the next episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The villains are becoming more sympathetic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I actually like the current manga arc about Naruto dading all over Sasuke 2.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sindai posted:

I actually like the current manga arc about Naruto dading all over Sasuke 2.

I'm enjoying the manga a lot. Too bad that it's monthly.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's not bad, though the emo kid is getting on my nerves.

I keep expecting it to go off the deep end any minute now, but for now it's enjoyable enough.

I feel like the current artist is better at depiction the action than Kishimoto was.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

man, i love all these dumbass synthetic kids. kinda hoping mitsuki's body can be used to at least save this batch before the whole plan gets shut down.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
sadly they have death flags all over them, though it'd be cool if mitsuki ends up saving them somehow

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

It's not bad, though the emo kid is getting on my nerves.

Which one is that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well that's creepy apparently a component of Mitsuki's is a human heart taken from a living human.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that's creepy apparently a component of Mitsuki's is a human heart taken from a living human.

Maybe. But it's not stated outright if I understood it correctly. The Stone doctor guy said he needs a human heart to replicate whatever Orochimaru did for Mitsuki. It's entirely possible that Oro is much more advanced in that field, and created MItsuki without having to harvest a heart from a living human.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm starting to remember why I quit Naruto after the Sasuke Retrieval arc. This arc is really starting to drag. I feel like half the runtime could be cut out, and there would still be enough time to hit every single plot point while delivering a tighter, better, and more action-packed story. Or maybe I've just been ruined by various abridged series, I dunno.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, this is taking too much time. It's still much better than the Sasuke story, but the latest episode didn't even feature Mitsuki at all. I hope it starts to resolve soon.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I mean, I get that there must be filler so the anime doesn't outpace the manga, and I drat well like how they're putting the filler in continuity here rather than catching all the way up then having entire loving seasons of flashbacks / AU filler while they wait for the buffer to rebuild like they did in Shippuden.

But drat, how many times do I need reminded that Onoki wants to protect all the people from harm for a very narrow view of who is "people"? I feel like that point has been brought up multiple times in just the past five-six episodes, we get it now, let's move along. It doesn't help that I feel nothing but dull irritation at these five new characters, and feel their entire story could have been wrapped up before this entire arc started if someone had said "Isn't this the same thing Orochimaru was doing? Let's give him a phone call, get some pointers in the right direction. Naruto should have his number, right?" The whole arc feels contrived, it could have been sanely handled by Mitsuki popping into Naruto's office and saying "I'm worried that my loyalty to Konoha and my friendship with your son was programmed in by my parent, so I'm going to go help Onoki with his project for a few months and see if I can sort out some mixed emotions while I'm at it, kthxbye."

(Can I please have Hinata get just one episode demonstrating why she's the sweetest, nicest, most polite mom you should never ever gently caress with? I just feel like we should be occasionally reminded that she'll straight up rip your loving eyes out of their sockets if you give her enough reason.)

e. although, Having Bort's first summon being a rude snake dude with attitude might be worth the admission price.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 17, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think the Boruto anime is really beholden to the manga, though I suppose it kind of looks that way so far. Since it's monthly waiting for it to get ahead would be just ridiculous after the initial buffer it got from starting far earlier runs out.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 17, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Boruto manga and Anime are p much doing their own thing.

only crossover has been the flashforward at the start, and the Movie arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sarada Gaiden and Mitsuki's backstory have also been adapted by the anime. I imagine it will get to doing some manga content eventually (the two are still connected as a character from the anime popped up in the manga a little while back) but for now the two are more or less just doing their own thing.

I'm fine with this method as otherwise adapting a monthly manga woild probably be a bit of a pain (the only other anime I can think of where this was the case was the 90's Sailor Moon series).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Sarada Gaiden and Mitsuki's backstory have also been adapted by the anime. I imagine it will get to doing some manga content eventually (the two are still connected as a character from the anime popped up in the manga a little while back) but for now the two are more or less just doing their own thing.

I'm fine with this method as otherwise adapting a monthly manga woild probably be a bit of a pain (the only other anime I can think of where this was the case was the 90's Sailor Moon series).

I should rephrase that. I mean the Boruto manga by the non-Kishimoto artist and writer.

Kishi, drew and wrote the Sarada Gaiden, and Mitsuki Gaiden. Which is why there art doesn't look like garbage.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sindai posted:

I don't think the Boruto anime is really beholden to the manga, though I suppose it kind of looks that way so far. Since it's monthly waiting for it to get ahead would be just ridiculous after the initial buffer it got from starting far earlier runs out.

Yeah, I'm actually quite happy with ninja scroll babies and hope it stays like this for a while. We got plenty of time before the opening scene, let's enjoy it a while.

(Sindai? I feel like I know that name. Do the words steel rose mean anything to you?)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i knew this was coming but Akkun's death still made me sad. Surprisingly touching scene.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

RottenK posted:

i knew this was coming but Akkun's death still made me sad. Surprisingly touching scene.

Christ I wasn't ready for that part of the episode at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Umbreon posted:

Christ I wasn't ready for that part of the episode at all.

Me neither. This arc does a really good job of getting me to care about the secondary characters. I'm both dreading and looking forward to see what will happen with Mitsuki's new friend.

One thing I would like to see is Shikadai using wind nature jutsus, and Chocho using lightning jutsus. Inojin can use beast scroll art like his dad, and mind transfer jutsu like his mom. Why should Shikadai and Chocho be restricted to only their respective dad's jutsus?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, I believe even Boruto himself has done some Hyuuga-style fighting on occasion so it is kind of weird that those two currently seem to only use techniques from their respective dads.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And Sarada uses typical Uchiha techniques (Sharingan and fire jutsus), plus her mother's physical strength stuff passed down from Tsunade.

Seeing the kids combining these family styles is a really cool part of this series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I forget but has Sarada used the Chidori at all in this series as of yet?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I forget but has Sarada used the Chidori at all in this series as of yet?

No, I don't think so. She did use some lightning release jutsus when the Konoha gang was in Kirigakure, but she didn't use Chidori. At least not in the anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with how long it took them to have Inojin use his mom's jutsu, i'm not surprised that the other kids haven't been given the chance. at this point I'm a bit sick of InoShikaCho being the only non-team 7 genin in the mix so i can wait on seeing their wind/lightning jutsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inojin used his mom's tech in an earlier episode when he lost his love of drawing or some poo poo.