Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

how can you make a goty list when darksiders 3 isn't out yet?!?
easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played a lotta video games in 2018 and did not dislike any of them, although some were more memorable than others. Death's Gambit was the only real miss out of the stuff I played this year imho. Everything else, fine to great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually enjoyed Ni No Kuni 2 a whole lot front to back, way more than the first one. It's super charming comfort JRPG food in the vein of Dragon Quest (though certainly not as good as DQ11 but then what is)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Buying a Switch next month. Can't wait. Getting a Switch, Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and Zelda: BOTW. I'll be playing DKCTF first. I'm saving Mario Odyssey for last because I predict it'll be the worst game of the lot. Honestly, I can't wait for NSMBU to come out on Switch in January. I'm so glad I'm being rewarded for not buying a Wii U by getting three games that were on Wii U.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Realtalk my GOTY is gonna be Hollow Knight again once I get out of college and finally play Gods and Glory.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Odyssey is incredible...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It owns so much

Himuro posted:

Buying a Switch next month. Can't wait. Getting a Switch, Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and Zelda: BOTW. I'll be playing DKCTF first. I'm saving Mario Odyssey for last because I predict it'll be the worst game of the lot. Honestly, I can't wait for NSMBU to come out on Switch in January. I'm so glad I'm being rewarded for not buying a Wii U by getting three games that were on Wii U.

Dkctf is my least fav of those and mario is my fav. Too many bottomless pits and bad bosses in dk and the respawn is a couple seconds too long.
Still super good value tho. The challenge is real

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

My Switch arrives tomorrow but I am broke until next week so it is going to have, like, Runner3 on it until Smash comes out. :shepface:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Someday I will get botw and Mario Odyssey for my switch. It feels kind of weird to not have them, but I don't have the time to devote to huge games like those.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I guess I could always get Fortnite :geno:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mwlGatuHoo

Who was the guy who was playing CV64? This video seems to have been made for you bud

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I guess I could always get Fortnite :geno:
you can also play warframe and tencent dota!! the warframe port is actually surprisingly good though...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm planning on getting a Switch in a paycheck or two. Even if the only games on it were Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Let's Go Eevee, Octopath and Spla2n it'll be worth it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

I'm planning on getting a Switch in a paycheck or two. Even if the only games on it were Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Let's Go Eevee, Octopath and Spla2n it'll be worth it

There's also Kirby, Valkyria 4, and soon smash.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell you can play Splatoon for 500 hours, possibly more

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna hold off on Smash until I hear good things about the online playerbase. I tend to burn out fast on fighting games if everyone online is a turbo sperg that's better than me because it's the only game they play

Forgot about Kirby though :3:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

In Training posted:

I did in the first one and it pains me that i will have to start so very, very far behind in the second :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

The Switch library is seriously very good at this point. drat I am never gonna finish Uncharted 4 now. :geno:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I did in the first one and it pains me that i will have to start so very, very far behind in the second :(

New players seem to be joining all the time still at least, especially since they've added a new stage every month since release, the first weekend always has fresh faces/returning players and then splatfest gets another surge...it's cool how much free poo poo they put in Splatoon. Although it finally ended this month qq

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just be like the Oscars and release your GOTY lists in March, imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The more I play of The Spiderman the more I think it's legitimately my goty. It's sheer fun in the way that few non-Mario games are. Sometimes I'll just do laps around town because it's so fun

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll leave choosing the goty to my pal Geoff Keighley

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Himuro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mwlGatuHoo

Who was the guy who was playing CV64? This video seems to have been made for you bud

Platinum Games remaking Legacy of Darkness when Konami???

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Spyro arrived and this game is so pretty. I might just end up going for platinums in this until Smash comes out.
RIP my playthrough of Red Dead

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

codenameFANGIO posted:

The Switch library is seriously very good at this point. drat I am never gonna finish Uncharted 4 now. :geno:

If you got to the part where you play Crash Bandicoot, you've already seen the best of what it has to offer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

also, overwatch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uncharted 4 is fantastic despite some severe pacing issues

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

If you got to the part where you play Crash Bandicoot, you've already seen the best of what it has to offer.

Maybe the second part where you play Crash

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Castlevania 64 slaps. Legacy Of Darkness slapped harder.

Wrapping up Manhunt. This would be very controversial today and not because of the violence. You play a biracial man slaughtering Nazis. Not only that but the dialogue given to the slovenly looking shits paints them as the pathetic cunts that they are. As we all learned with Wolfenstein 2 killing Nazis is bad!

Starkweather informing the bigots of your racial heritage also further illustrates what a soulless teat he is. Of course he does this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wouldn't it make more sense to say Castlevania whips

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Slapslevania

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to say Castlevania whips

You don't have a whip in the best ones, though.

Not counting extra modes.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 26, 2018

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The only game I legit enjoyed this year was Get Even and that came out in 2017. Other than that 2018 was a year where I barely played any new games, especially full priced ones. God of War and Far Cry 5 were the only ones I bought full price on release and they were just ok.

On the plus (?) side today I managed to get BFV+Spider-man for 75 bucks and AssCreedOdyssey for 28, so that's something.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

GUI posted:

The only game I legit enjoyed this year was Get Even and that came out in 2017. Other than that 2018 was a year where I barely played any new games, especially full priced ones. God of War and Far Cry 5 were the only ones I bought full price on release and they were just ok.

On the plus (?) side today I managed to get BFV+Spider-man for 75 bucks and AssCreedOdyssey for 28, so that's something.

I really liked Get Even. Had a twist I did not expect and it was surprisingly emotional.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is that the shooter with the time travel gimmick? I watched a quick look and it seemed pretty generic, what was the twist

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hey hey hey hey

What's everyone up to

I finished playing an rpgmaker game a few days ago, one that I actually found enjoyable. It's called Ara Fell. It still suffers from that rpgmaker problem devs run into where they just kinda litter poo poo everywhere all over the map so it makes navigation a pain but there was more than enough care and effort and heart put into the game that it made up for that imo. The plot was rather plain too but I wasn't exactly expecting any kind of radical or superbly interesting plots from an rpgmaker title.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also I'm near the end of this book

I should finish reading it.

I gotta find out who the murderer is!!

...and also who stole the Picky Puss Diamond Collar from the Picky Puss Cat Contest!!!

.....and what costume Quincy is gonna wear at the contest, if he gets entered, and if he will win!!!!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'll just shamelessly copy/paste what I wrote about it some months ago in the August thread

quote:

I started Get Even today and played it for 4 hours. Every single gameplay element is just average but it's rare to see a game that combines so many elements together. It's an exploration game where you spend a ton of time reading, then sometimes you solve puzzles? And sometimes you get into areas where you can shoot or stealth your way through? And then sometimes it turns into a horror game for a while? Then into a spy thriller about corporate espionage? Then into a family drama about a negligent father cheating on his wife? There's also a bunch of subtle and not so subtle choices/actions that affect the story? Yet at the same time it's a linear, story heavy, single player only, 10 hour game with extremely little replay value released in the year of our lord 2017. It sure is something.

quote:

Finished it today. It's always strange to play the very rare game that has a proper beginning, middle and end and has no interest whatsoever on setting up a sequel or a franchise. It has its flaws but overall I liked it and I'll probably replay it sooner or later to get all story collectibles and see the slight differences moral choices make.

A shame all of Farm51's single player games have seemingly bombed so they're making some PC only multiplayer title creatively called World War 3 which seems to be doing somewhat ok for a niche title I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have seen WW3 discussed as a solid modern Battlefield alternative a lot.

Shocked to discover the developers made NecroVision. Saw it praised by some fellow B game lovers as janky Wolfenstein and got excited. It was a total chore to play.

• Locked thread