Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That list is essentially infinity, plus It's not a healthy idea to let this thread's combined will dictate your media consumption. It will end badly.

i used to like Jacobin, but then they said mean things about Maduro so now I'm stuck with nothing but the Secret Uglycat Weekly Podcast

(sarcasmposting aside i would totally listen to the Secret Uglycat Weekly Podcast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
It practically goes without saying at this point, but Trump is lying:

https://twitter.com/jacobsoboroff/status/1066882488016891904

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i used to like Jacobin, but then they said mean things about Maduro so now I'm stuck with nothing but the Secret Uglycat Weekly Podcast

(sarcasmposting aside i would totally listen to the Secret Uglycat Weekly Podcast)

jacobin's choice of foreign policy takes is legitimately baffling, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the contributors they select other than 'bhaskar is friends with ____'

to be fair that's also true of their domestic american policy takes, but the stable of writers is much more consistently good and they don't like, accidentally end up supporting imperialism at random

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

This is a big win for Trump's popularity with his base, and he doesn't care about anyone else in the entire world. So he's probably ecstatic

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I was reading an opinion by David French on NRO (wait, this will not be bad trust me) and he brought up these interesting stats:

David French, National Review posted:

A Voter Study Group survey of Trump voters showed that the less churchgoing they were, the more likely they were to say that being white was “very important” to their identity. Similarly, fewer than half of non-churchgoing Trump voters had “warm feelings” for black people. For churchgoing Trump voters, the figure was a far more healthy 71 percent.
This seems to bring up an interesting point - probably not too novel to wonks here - that young white people are replacing religious identity with racial identity and this is fueling the rise of the alt-right.
Article link.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

This is a big win for Trump's popularity with his base, and he doesn't care about anyone else in the entire world. So he's probably ecstatic

That’s not true, he’s also winning CNN.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCuomo/status/1066881317638471681

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I was reading an opinion by David French on NRO (wait, this will not be bad trust me) and he brought up these interesting stats:

This seems to bring up an interesting point - probably not too novel to wonks here - that young white people are replacing religious identity with racial identity and this is fueling the rise of the alt-right.
Article link.

Yep. The decline in identification with Christianity means that people are openly identifying with their race.

That said, there are a lot of terrible Christians out there who are also white supremacists. They just felt the need to cloak it before. Now they don't.

Christianity, for all of its faults, is an identity that people can plug into. However, so is racial supremacy. And both identities can be bolted on pretty easily with very little buy in other than "say you accept Jesus" or "be white and hate nonwhite people".

Lots of questions that were once seen as settled are now being openly raised again. Fascism is one of them. Is there a God is another.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

I got into this with some demsbad posters near the start of this thread. Because a child was ever in a chainlink fence during the Obama administration, it's apparently the same thing, so Trump must be telling the truth here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Article link.

Identity politics!! :argh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DaveWoo posted:

Not that I for one second think it would affect him in any way, personally or with his base, but I would really like to see a journalist put him on the spot here by saying "So President Obama was right?" because you know he's not capable of admitting that. I just want to hear what the bullshit would be.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1066882569021661184

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

eke out posted:

jacobin's choice of foreign policy takes is legitimately baffling, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the contributors they select other than 'bhaskar is friends with ____'

to be fair that's also true of their domestic american policy takes, but the stable of writers is much more consistently good and they don't like, accidentally end up supporting imperialism at random

jacobin is the drone strike left and they do a lot of corralling and sheepdogging for the democratic party, along with other outlets like chapo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of the proto alt-right came out of the atheism and 'skeptic' circles. Late capitalist alienation and a crushing lack of opportunity just provides the spark that lights up the dumpster fire of modern white supremacy.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

I got into this with some demsbad posters near the start of this thread. Because a child was ever in a chainlink fence during the Obama administration, it's apparently the same thing, so Trump must be telling the truth here.

Correct. Obama and Trump are virtually the same in terms of lovely neoliberal policy. You can sugar coat it all you want, they are both god awful.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It's really good, but I still think this one has it in the bag. It's like a 19th century painting made flesh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm the gop people admitting that putting kids in cages is bad but excusing trump not stopping it because obama did it first, so change is impossible

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

You are literally still quibbling over a difference that amounts to "Well at least Obama had the decency to throw parent and child into the same kennel!"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

i'm the gop people admitting that putting kids in cages is bad but excusing trump not stopping it because obama did it first, so change is impossible

both presidents are war criminals hth

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

More like "It's bad, but if we didn't do it we would literally be invaded, so we don't dare stop it"

"So Obama was right?" is the only line of attack that's open and it doesn't feel like a very satisfying one

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

More like "It's bad, but if we didn't do it we would literally be invaded, so we don't dare stop it"

"So Obama was right?" is the only line of attack that's open and it doesn't feel like a very satisfying one

Blair, Renzi, Clinton and Kerry all coming out in favor of cracking down on immigration and refugees renders that little gotcha rather unsatisfying, yes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Correct. Obama and Trump are virtually the same in terms of lovely neoliberal policy. You can sugar coat it all you want, they are both god awful.

You're a poo poo person who makes disingenuous arguments to get a rise out of people. gently caress off from this thread.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the proto alt-right came out of the atheism and 'skeptic' circles. Late capitalist alienation and a crushing lack of opportunity just provides the spark that lights up the dumpster fire of modern white supremacy.

I think it's more accurate to say that libertarians dominated the atheist and skeptic circles, and then went on to become fascists, surprising absolutely no one who had ever talked to a libertarian before.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

You are literally still quibbling over a difference that amounts to "Well at least Obama had the decency to throw parent and child into the same kennel!"

You're a trash person who has decided to miss the point entirely, and you can gently caress off forever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Office Pig posted:

Blair, Renzi, Clinton and Kerry all coming out in favor of cracking down on immigration and refugees renders that little gotcha rather unsatisfying, yes.

Perhaps we rebut that by saying "yeah those guys suck too"?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 26, 2018

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

You're a poo poo person who makes disingenuous arguments to get a rise out of people. gently caress off from this thread.

just because i don't support neoliberal policy doesn't make me poo poo. why do you keep apologizing for Obama's kids in cages programs? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think it's more accurate to say that libertarians dominated the atheist and skeptic circles, and then went on to become fascists, surprising absolutely no one who had ever talked to a libertarian before.

Libertarians are surprisingly hardline for people who believe that freedom is paramount.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Yeah, libertarians were always wannabe fascists waiting for the right boot to lick.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

just because i don't support neoliberal policy doesn't make me poo poo. why do you keep apologizing for Obama's kids in cages programs? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Forget obama, the centerpoint of clinton's immigration policy was making virtually any crime eligible for deportation (while before it was limited to felonies that resulted in more than 5 years imprisonment).

What you ended up in obama's america were pillars of the community who got pinched on drug charges or shoplifting as teenagers getting lined up for deportation to SE Asia. These people had lived in the US their entire lives and were going to get deported back to Cambodia where they had no family, no language skills, and no future because the Democrats needed to be tough on immigration.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

How about we rebut that by saying "yeah those guys suck too"?

Democrats haven't exactly been leaders on the immigrant/refugee front. Maybe republicans going full-fascism-now will spark an actual political will to address both.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jesus christ, how do you write something like "yeah, getting tear-gassed sucks, but-" and not be absolutely disgusted with yourself

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Forget obama, the centerpoint of clinton's immigration policy was making virtually any crime eligible for deportation (while before it was limited to felonies that resulted in more than 5 years imprisonment).

What you ended up in obama's america were pillars of the community who got pinched on drug charges or shoplifting as teenagers getting lined up for deportation to SE Asia. These people had lived in the US their entire lives and were going to get deported back to Cambodia where they had no family, no language skills, and no future because the Democrats needed to be tough on immigration.

so your point is Democrats are just Republicans but 1 step behind? Yeah, same here. Democrats are poo poo unless they are DSA. gently caress Obama, Bush, and Clinton.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

Jesus christ, how do you write something like "yeah, getting tear-gassed sucks, but-" and not be absolutely disgusted with yourself

He's getting ratio'd hard.

CNN and MSNBC have been falling down on the "liberal media bias" front lately.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224?s=21

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

so your point is Democrats are just Republicans but 1 step behind? Yeah, same here. Democrats are poo poo unless they are DSA. gently caress Obama, Bush, and Clinton.

Yeah that is exactly my point. A lot of liberals have no idea that the democrats have gone above and beyond to persecute immigrants in a bid to chase the mythical white suburban voter.

You might have heard of how trump wants to stop issuing green cards to legal residents who might use ACA subsidies, student loans, or other programs.

What the news doesn't report was that the clinton administration took the 1930s definition of public charge and expanded it then to include cash welfare in the form of AFDC or TANF, trump is just using the clinton-era precedent to expand it to cover every possible thing under the sun.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

You mean the regimes the US installed in Central America that caused the refugee crisis? You mean those "forces" Chris?

Also, anyone who follows an order to tear gas children can gently caress right off, sorry for not "supporting the brave servicemen and women" committing atrocities Chris :fuckoff:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Republicans won't care because they are racist, but also because the mainstream media successfully established the narrative as "migrants rushed the border and overwhelmed the US agents, therefore..."

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:gas: my :goatsecx:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1066799500407255040

https://twitter.com/mikeydickerson/status/1066874998332084224?s=19

I found this juxtaposition striking. Two mothers each struggling to give a good life to their children. One image univerally recognized in our culture as solemn, tragic. The other will be met by ~half the country with cruel joy because undesirables are suffering.

gently caress the GOP for bootlicking as this happens.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

yah it owns how man ygreat pics we'll get from this nmational humanitarian disgrace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

killing americans is a global net good