Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Danakir posted:

So I got a new Switch coming thanks to Black Friday specials. First game I want to play is Breath of the Wild and I figure this is the right thread to ask just how good the DLC for it is and whether it'd be a significant upgrade to have it accessible during my first playthrough or if it's more stuff I'd enjoy after having completed the game once already?

The biggest thing it can offer in a new playthrough is the Hero's Path, which shows you where you've been in the last 200 hours. The DLC also scatters additional equipment you can use around the map, one of which is, I would say, game-breaking for the beginning/midgame of a first playthrough, and I recommend you actively avoid that one particular item Majora's Mask. The rest of the DLC is additional trials/shrines/a dungeon, which open up mid to late game (varies based on your playstyle). I don't think it'll hurt to get the DLC early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

pentyne posted:

To this day I can't believe Nintendo saw the art work for the dark sorceress girl and said "Yep! Stamp the Nintendo logo prominently on that!"

Nintendo: "What does she want?"

Devs: "You know how Bowser wants Peach? Same thing but her and Link"

Nintendo: "Seems harmless"

Devs: "Yeah and her home is a museum shrine of all the old Zelda games"

Nintendo: "Fans will love that!"

Devs: "Sorry I mean a shrine of Link and only him. Even statues of him as a wolf. She really, really wants to gently caress him"

Nintendo: "Dynasty Warriors makes money right?"

Devs: "Yes?"

Nintendo: "Do what you do best we have no objections at all"

I love that KT tried to make it special and Zelda-like, and Miyamoto stopped them and was like "Just do what you normally do."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't stop playing this stupid Warframe!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New ominous things teased in the Kirby Update cause it comes out in a few days.

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/1066889608439316481

Play as everyone in the new story, fight a real big handful of new/redone bosses and uh... something is happening there that they've been building up to all year.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Pirate Jet posted:

If I buy a $60 game on the eshop and pay with a $35 gift card with the rest on my credit card, do I still get the full $60+taxes’ worth of gold points?
I got 150 gold coins for redeeming the Bayonetta 1 code packed with 2.

My Sonic AGES review:
Having spin dash in Sonic 1 feels so weird, but I love it. However Marble Zone is still boring poo poo so I quit out after a few minutes of slow lava crawling.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Play as everyone in the new story, fight a real big handful of new/redone bosses and uh... something is happening there that they've been building up to all year.

those swords seem rather familiar...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

kirby star allies is growing too powerful

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they really should make a zero mission / samus returns / link between worlds style reimagining of zelda 2 because i’m never going to play the original ever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

The worst parts of the game aren’t things that revolve around the motion controls and they’re all things that would be relatively easy to fix so I’m very excited for an HD version since they’ve been good so far with Zelda remakes.
Are they though?

I had no problems with the motion controls so I'll give you that, but in addition to the easy fix problems like item popups every time you boot up the game for every item in the game (of which there are a ton) and Fi popping in like "Master, there is a 97.2% chance I'm repeating the dialogue you just read, do you want me to repeat it again?" every 3 seconds there are much deeper-lying problems in SS like the completely empty "overworld" you have to fly through, the level-based nature of the game where instead of exploring like you do in every other Zelda you just go back and forth between these 3 levels over and over, or the really annoying Silent Realm parts where you get to go through the same areas again but this time it's a wonky stealth game, or anything about The Imprisoned, a fight that was already unfun the first time and they make you repeat it over and over. The game never has that moment where you're free to just roam around and play Zelda and I was waiting for that until the game ended.

Which is a shame because Skyward Sword does have a bunch of good things and ideas (and the art direction).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nodosaur posted:

those swords seem rather familiar...

Well they are in the intro. There's some lore about how they were used by heroes to seal away GREAT EVIL or somesuch but it's not covered terribly well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't stop playing this stupid Warframe!

Same even though I don’t know what the gently caress I’m doing. This game is crazy complicated.:eyepop:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well they are in the intro. There's some lore about how they were used by heroes to seal away GREAT EVIL or somesuch but it's not covered terribly well.

they remind me of Sectonia's, is all I'm saying

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same even though I don’t know what the gently caress I’m doing. This game is crazy complicated.:eyepop:

I'm incubating an egg and trying to build a rhino suit?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I really gotta get Star Allies but there's already so much to play

I would welcome a Skyward Sword HD because I never played through the original either.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope they give the bosses more HP or reduce everyone's damage a lot more when there are 4 players so I can actually experience the fights.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. Fetus posted:

I hope they give the bosses more HP or reduce everyone's damage a lot more when there are 4 players so I can actually experience the fights.

Worse comes to worse just solo stuff with powerless kirby

I do it regardless every game first time through and it's pretty fun.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Worse comes to worse just solo stuff with powerless kirby

I do it regardless every game first time through and it's pretty fun.

in awe of the amount of restraint this must take

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Lol. Walmart Canada had a Cyber Monday deal of a Switch, Let’s Go Eevee and a $50 eShop card for $399 CAD.

It was out of stock before the deal even went live (presumably people ordering at full price hoping to get refunded the difference), blinked back in stock for a fraction of a second at 12:02 and 12:04, now it’s completely dead.

Thousands of nerds mashing F5 over and over hoping the Place Order button will become clickable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Brother Entropy posted:

in awe of the amount of restraint this must take

It's only for bosses. HAL genuinely loves boss fights and will make the craziest, most elaborate patterns that most players will never see due to some powers just dismantling them. Refusing to use powers and going a bit slower usually lets you see most of them :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So now that Steamworld Dig 2 has been out for a while and the newness has worn off a bit... is it still worth getting? The sale price is $9.99 at the moment.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

strategery posted:

Id buy any of those although we are more likely to get new Mario Golf, etc instead of gamecube ones.

Having never played it, I'd give anything to have the 3DS Mario Golf game on the Switch.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is Hyrule Warriors actually good?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No it's great.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

So now that Steamworld Dig 2 has been out for a while and the newness has worn off a bit... is it still worth getting? The sale price is $9.99 at the moment.

Yes, it's very good.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

GreatGreen posted:

gently caress yes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm I wonder if Gamestop will gimme the $35 eShop gift card to be nice since I ordered a Switch (without Mario Kart) on Friday to get the $50 Gamestop card. I don't wanna go through the hassle of returning and re-ordering, I hope they're not jerks about it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Hey thread. I bought a Switch in the Black Friday sale. I'm getting a hdmi to dvi cable so I can play it on my monitor. Also considering getting a LAN adapter. Do I have to buy an official adapter or would a regular one do? I heard the Switch can be a bit finicky with third party equipment. Also how well do usb joypads work with the Switch? Would it be able to pick up any joypads connected into the extra usb ports that some LAN adapters have?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The switch plays nice with USB hubs and there's a specific generic chipset it likes for LAN adapters. USB controllers are hit-and-miss and there are no system-wide button mapping options so if it decides that A is the topmost button when it connects to your joypad you're kinda SOL.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cool. I preordered the limited edition of SSB a while back that comes with the adapter for GC controllers but I don't know if I'll actually receive it so I was considering this as an alternative until I buy an adapter for GC controllers if I need it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gamecube controllers are recognized on a system level but since they lack L1, L3, R3, and Select/Minus buttons they may not be suitable for all games.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I was going to use them for Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros and I read that they work fine with both.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Do we know if smash is going to have any controller weirdness like mario party had? I've got some cheapy licensed PowerA wired ones as my spares and ijust watned to be sure they will function.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nope! Joycons only. The USB GameCube adapter that Nintendo is releasing is for aesthetics only.

Seriously though, they haven't announced anything specific yet but if the previous games are anything to go by, any controller you can connect to the Switch will be supported. Well, probably not the Pokeball Plus. GameCube controllers will work with the USB adapter. USB controllers are seen as Pro controllers, so those should work fine. Third party controllers connected with a Mayflash adapter will *probably* work but I think there's issues when you try to play multiplayer games with them. 8BitDo is also releasing a wireless adapter that you can plug a single GameCube or Wii Classic controller into that emulates a Pro Controller and also has home/screenshot buttons that I'm getting.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 26, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You can probably bullshit your way with the pokeball. Stick button for B, top button for a, hold stick up to jump, shake sideways to shield and shake forward to grab.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You can probably bullshit your way with the pokeball. Stick button for B, top button for a, hold stick up to jump, shake sideways to shield and shake forward to grab.

You're assuming that the Smash software will recognize the Pokeball and that it has such nuanced motion control mapping options.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Someone in the lounge is playing a leaked copy of Smash Bros. so I'm already getting my fill of "Wah! Wah! :cry: It's not the Gamecube game all over again!" early.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

Someone in the lounge is playing a leaked copy of Smash Bros. so I'm already getting my fill of "Wah! Wah! :cry: It's not the Gamecube game all over again!" early.

Call the police and have them arrested for software piracy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Call the police and have them arrested for software piracy

I can't. The motherfucker downloaded a car and got away.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

I can't. The motherfucker downloaded a car and got away.

Unplug the computer and his car will disappear out from under him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the cheap $70 2DS over the $150 2DS XL? I asked over in the Pokemon thread but one guy said the 2DS was uncomfortable and one guy said it was way more comfortable than the XL, so idk. I don't expect to use it much, I just want a cheap machine to play Pokemon Sun on, but the difference in price makes me worry that the 2DS is junk. Is it comfortable over a multi-hour Pokemon or Zelda session?

Are there any other 3DS-exclusive games that I should pick up too? Which Mario game is the one that's supposed to be so good?

(Is there a 3DS thread? I couldn't find one.)