Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Veritek83 posted:

I think the only thing I didn't get on this first plate was mashed potatoes. First year my family's done macaroni & cheese, which might have been the MVP- the chorizo/cornbread stuffing was also up there.

Nice plating! Got a recipe for the chorizo/cornbread stuffing? That sounds excellent.

Cavenagh posted:

Turkey Ballotine, Dirty Black and Wild Rice, Tarragon Gravy, Balsamic Beetroot.

Yeahhhh gonna need a recipe here too :cop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Good dinners goons

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BrianBoitano posted:

impressive thanksgiving food
Excellent. I’m doing mine on sunday, and i’ll have to up my game if I want to post pics in here after this.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

To be fair, my wife is a grad student so had a flexible schedule to cook for 3 days straight. Besides that, :justpost:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Finally cutting Blue Apron out of my life, and it feels good. Made some Chongqing Chicken and garlic bok choy. Couldn't get a good plating shot, because I turned every surface of my kitchen into a mess.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BrianBoitano posted:

Nice plating! Got a recipe for the chorizo/cornbread stuffing? That sounds excellent.

Thanks! Here's the stuffing- https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spicy-cornbread-stuffing-with-chorizo-and-sweet-potatoes It's pretty much a complete meal on it's own.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 25, 2018

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Double post

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

You have a trailing period that makes the link not work, just fyi.

I'm gonna try to make this if i can find fresh chorizo anywhere. Its reasonably hard to come by for some reason.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

TheCog posted:

You have a trailing period that makes the link not work, just fyi.

I'm gonna try to make this if i can find fresh chorizo anywhere. Its reasonably hard to come by for some reason.

Fixed, thanks. I seem to remember reading (at Serious Eats maybe?) a very basic guide to subbing fresh chorizo with heavily seasoned ground pork. Honestly there's enough going on with this stuffing that you could sub a pretty basic bulk sausage and just compensate with additional seasoning.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Sweet potatoes and chorizo is such a good combination, I swear. It's one of my favorites. That stuffing sounds fantastic.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

Fixed, thanks. I seem to remember reading (at Serious Eats maybe?) a very basic guide to subbing fresh chorizo with heavily seasoned ground pork. Honestly there's enough going on with this stuffing that you could sub a pretty basic bulk sausage and just compensate with additional seasoning.

Ground pork and a chili paste with garlic, cumin, vinegar or lime juice, salt and pepper marinated for at least a couple of hours will do fine.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Tonight I made one-pan Tom Kha Gai Biryani! I have a bad camera and a badly lit apartment so this is the best picture I have!

There was so much liquid from the onions, mushrooms, coconut cream and lime juice that I didn't have to add any water or broth to cook the rice. End result: :yum:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seared venison loin, charred cabbage, gochujang-sauerkraut puree. A Wisconsin riff on KBBQ I suppose.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Seared venison loin, charred cabbage, gochujang-sauerkraut puree. A Wisconsin riff on KBBQ I suppose.

Awesome char on that cabbage.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

Hot drat that looks good! Also reminds me that we're headed out hunting next weekend, and I still have a backstrap from last year to eat first...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Casu Marzu posted:

gochujang-sauerkraut puree

such a lovely phrase :allears:

So I guess instead of relaxing with easy post-thanksgiving leftovers we're going to cook a notoriously difficult food, including home nixtamalization? Yeah cooking addiction is real :suicide:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

So I guess instead of relaxing with easy post-thanksgiving leftovers we're going to cook a notoriously difficult food, including home nixtamalization? Yeah cooking addiction is real :suicide:

Ran out of kimchi and wasn't able to get to the Korean market cuz the holiday. Wanted something similar and had a jar of sauerkraut. Worked out pretty well.

Those tamales look dope.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Bless you

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

These look amazing. I went to an el Salvadoran place in DC that had banging tameles recently and these look identical. They added chickpeas which were really good, nice little texture change.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doc Walrus posted:

Tonight I made one-pan Tom Kha Gai Biryani! I have a bad camera and a badly lit apartment so this is the best picture I have!

There was so much liquid from the onions, mushrooms, coconut cream and lime juice that I didn't have to add any water or broth to cook the rice. End result: :yum:

this might be the greyest picture ever posted in one of these threads

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

Well it looked great IRL :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doc Walrus posted:

Well it looked great IRL :colbert:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

pork roulade, parsnip puree, orange-caraway glazed carrots

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

kittenmittons posted:

Delicious art.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kittenmittons posted:

yepyepyep

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Fenugreek, black sesame and mustard curry chicken, garnished with spring onions, birds eye chilli, paprika and black sesame seed, served with fried onion and garlic rice.

Really happy with this, the sauce was an experiment in combining more unusual flavours, and came out faultless - rich with the cream, nutty, and with subtle but tasty spicing, brought to life with the raw spring onions and chilli.

Also the sesame gave it an amazing colour which makes me happy. The photo doesn't quite do justice to just how vibrantly green it was. (phone camera so no actually good colour correction... Le sigh)

kittenmittons posted:

Yuuuup, I want this in me. Sexually.

Casu Marzu posted:

Also this. Stuff me with your delicious meat.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 27, 2018

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Jose posted:

It's like the start of an infomercial: "Oh no! Grey food again!" *cut to shot of disappointed family*

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
sunday roast

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Ranter posted:

sunday roast

Wow... That crackling is art. You done good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Olpainless posted:

Wow... That crackling is art. You done good.

You could serve those strips of skin like chips on the side. Impressive.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cheers. I used a slightly different method for this 'half picnic roast' cut. Tented it in foil and cooked it for 2 hours @ 325 then removed the foil for the rest of the cook, before cranking it up to 550 to crisp the crackling. I think the tenting/steaming helped break down the skin and fat for better crackling.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bored baking day. Today's experiment was a rye sourdough. Quite tasty with a poached egg and bacon.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I like this poached egg. Is that the stir and drop method? It looks so dynamic.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Totally Reasonable posted:

I like this poached egg. Is that the stir and drop method? It looks so dynamic.

Yep. It's the only method I've been able to get consistently good yolks with.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

Can you post the parsnip purée recipe, please?

Hell, throw in the roulade, too. Always have pork tenderloin on hand.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Caramelized belgian endive and blue cheese tart:

following this David Lebovitz recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/caramelized-endive-blue-cheese-tart-recipe/

Didn't come out nearly as photogenic as his, but was delicious. I think doing it again, I would sear the endive spears more on the stovetop at the beginning (I don't think I got them properly browned enough on the cut side), and probably drain some of the liquid before adding the cheese and putting on the puff pastry.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm in love with every word of that recipe name

Tonight for us was parmesan Dutch baby:

Basically Yorkshire pudding and thus delicious.

Looked better once garnished with chives and put in more natural light, but by that point it had slumped even more. Still yummy!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Lawnie posted:

Can you post the parsnip purée recipe, please?

Hell, throw in the roulade, too. Always have pork tenderloin on hand.

Simmer sliced parsnips, a few garlic cloves, and some salt in a heavy cream/whole milk mixture (about 2.5/1 ratio) until soft. Strain the parsnips/garlic and blend with just enough of the cream mixture to get it spinning.

Roulade was just some pork chops pounded thin, stuffed with dijon/granny smith apple/spinach, wrapped in bacon and tied with butcher's twine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's cold out

Lazy empty the fridge doenjang jjigae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

Casu Marzu posted:

These two posts back to back, yikes.