Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My dumb range story is that I got sent out to qualify in January for some reason, I think my stuff from basic got lost, and it was -10 that day. We didn't have a nice facility to go warm up in at the time, the place was a quarry, the only building being a tiny little shack with a propane heater. The lovely earplugs they gave us didn't want to stay in for long probably due to how cold it was. So I stopped trying to keep them in after half an hour. My ears were still ringing the next day. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So how high did he get promoted? Because if this thread has taught me anything, people actually getting punished is a pipe dream.

That's only for NCOs and Officers as far as I can tell. Last time I saw that guy he was handcuffed to a gurny with corpsman sedating him, none too gently. He was screaming for his mommy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

The only ND I've ever seen was a guy making GBS threads his pants.

Is the Rip-It Shits story in this thread somewhere?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

Terry Hickman, a 10-year Army special forces veteran, defended the range and the pilots who train there.

"Let 'em alone; they're over there putting their lives on the line for us," Hickman said as he prepared to hunt deer in Bass River, near the edge of the range. "That guy (the pilot) probably feels so bad about this. He's probably going to get sent overseas and he might not even come back. As long as no one got hurt, this whole thing should just be forgotten."

Hang all nobles veterans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hang all nobles veterans.

F-16’s, well known for their pilot fatality rates!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

F-16’s, well known for their pilot fatality rates!

They DID inherit the lawn-dart nickname. Usually the pilot gets out before impact, though.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

quote:

A recent software change in the F-16 allowed the externally mounted targeting pod to stabilize on a spot on the earth when the avionics were in Air to Ground Mode, Strafe Sub-Mode. The pilot intended to fire a laser at a strafe target located on the range. The laser and gun share the same trigger. The pilot pulled the trigger, firing not only the laser but also the internal M61 Vulcan cannon, discharging 27 rounds of 20mm ammunition which struck the ground, eight striking the school's roof and the rest hitting the parking lot and the side of the building.

whoops

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That range later got shut down for a year because they let a forest fire get off the range.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, any reason the guy had the targeting pod on the school in the first place?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CainFortea posted:

It was pointed 90 degrees to the left at the target. The problem is the Vulcan still points forward.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CainFortea posted:

He didn't.

quote:

The aircraft was within the training range, as was the target that the laser was pointed at, which was approximately 90 degrees to the side of the aircraft. However, the cannon fires to the front of the aircraft.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Viva Miriya posted:

The laser and gun share the same trigger.

Ah, the RDR2 control scheme.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CainFortea posted:

article says

chitoryu12 posted:

It was pointed 90 degrees to the left at the target. The problem is the Vulcan still points forward.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The pilot should have known his gun was armed and used the same trigger. What a schmuck.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
An aircraft shouldn't have a control system whereby two weapons which behave very differently are activated by the same trigger.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, you're not wrong, there is a very long chain of dumbassery which was exposed by that incident. Lots of "eh, it'll be fine" going on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Didn’t SpaceshipOne crash because a pilot deployed the speed brakes in flight and the computer allowed it because the designers had assumed “our pilots are too experienced to make this mistake”?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm reminded of how I have trouble going from modern "left trigger to aim" games to older "left trigger throws grenade" games, except way dumber.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm reminded of how I have trouble going from modern "left trigger to aim" games to older "left trigger throws grenade" games, except way dumber.

You play fps games on a console? You're in the right thread for sure.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Idiot here: why is this bad?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

He's talking about resting the weapon on it's own barrel while firing the M203, which would block the M203. With a marker round it's probably just going to scare you and make a big mess, with an actual grenade you and those near you would probably die.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Patrick Spens posted:

They are presumably firing the M203 grenade launcher on the M203 range so if you rest the barrel on something you'll be putting a barrier directly in front of the grenade launcher. This will give bad results when the grenade launcher is fired.

Casimir Radon posted:

with an actual grenade you and those near you would probably die.

Do they have a minimum arming distance? If they do it probably wouldn't explode although it'd still be pretty dangerous.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the 203 thing is fairly common with the orange training rounds due to the fact that there is less over sight than a live grenade range.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They do have a minimum distance, but just like cooking off grenades I trust that poo poo about as far as I can ram it up my own rear end.

Lowest bidder contract and all that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Never forget that Halliburton makes your frag fuses.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The 203 is armed by rotation if I recall correctly. Sort of related to distance

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it's at least 50 feet to arm. It's still going to scare the poo poo out of everyone around you when you put it straight into the wall in front of you instead of downrange, marker rounds or not.

The only ND I saw when I was in the Reserves (weekend warriors wassup) was an idiot practising quick-draw drills with his Hi Power when the RO wasn't looking during pistol quals. Put a bullet into the bench in front of him, about a centimetre away from his box of 9mm. I dunno how he managed it, I remember the trigger pull being pretty heavy on those, like everything else about that gun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

not caring here posted:

They do have a minimum distance, but just like cooking off grenades I trust that poo poo about as far as I can ram it up my own rear end.

Lowest bidder contract and all that.
Add it to my list of things I don't have any desire to verify myself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Memento posted:

The only ND I saw when I was in the Reserves (weekend warriors wassup) was an idiot practising quick-draw drills with his Hi Power when the RO wasn't looking during pistol quals. Put a bullet into the bench in front of him, about a centimetre away from his box of 9mm. I dunno how he managed it, I remember the trigger pull being pretty heavy on those, like everything else about that gun.

It's DA/SA if I'm not mistaken, so he could've easily had it cocked (either from firing or holstering at condition 1/0), which drastically lowers the trigger pull, and is very stupid.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Back in 2001, one MP who had been in a college buddy's squad managed to ND his pistol straight into the head of one of his fellow MP's.

That's a big oops right there.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kemper Boyd posted:

Back in 2001, one MP who had been in a college buddy's squad managed to ND his pistol straight into the head of one of his fellow MP's.

That's a big oops right there.

When I was a kid I saw one of my cousins accidentally shoot our uncle right in the head. I hadn’t gone back to hunting until this year because that one incident made me extremely skiddish about being around rednecks and guns in the deer woods.

It was a dumb accident but that’s what happens when you arm a goddamn 12 year old. :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And that's why giving guns to children is a dumb idea.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

When I was a kid I saw one of my cousins accidentally shoot our uncle right in the head. I hadn’t gone back to hunting until this year because that one incident made me extremely skiddish about being around rednecks and guns in the deer woods.

It was a dumb accident but that’s what happens when you arm a goddamn 12 year old. :shrug:

gently caress.

People ask me all the time, "Take your kids shooting yet?".

Nope.

Not until he's old enough to buy one on his own.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I like comparing kids and guns to kids and pets. You don't start your kids off immediately with a dog, you get them a goldfish or beta or something low maintenance like that to teach them responsibility. If they mess up, no big deal, the fish will probably be fine. Eventually you work your way up to a hamster or guinea pig if they demonstrate enough responsibility. Same with guns. Give the kid a nerf gun or water pistol and if they can't resist shooting people with it, then they aren't ready for anything that can do real damage. And guess what? Some people are never responsible enough to have pets, just likely some people are never responsible enough to own a gun.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Anecdotes being what they are...

My first actual firearm was given to me at 16, though I'd had a BB gun since 8 and had been duck hunting since 10, with smaller shotguns like a .410 double and the A5 Twenty I received at 16. My father explained all the rules very clearly, drilled me on them regularly, and also outlined the consequences of breaking those rules, to the tune of "I will likely die and be gone forever, or at least be maimed for life" which scared the ever-loving poo poo out of me. We also went out and practiced regularly before hunting outings.

I ain't shot anyone, and the only AD I've ever had was due to a mal-adjusted adjustable trigger mechanism on my Winchester Model 75. I thank the above training and experience for having me keep the gun pointed at the ground when I chambered the round and the firing pin dropped, because it fuckin' scared the poo poo out of me.

I've cut loose friends from range trips because my super-anal firearms safety techniques "annoy" them.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Speaking of 203s and idiots, I was in a firefight one time where an idiot got a little too enthusiastic to shoot some grenades into a wadi we were taking fire from. He had his sling blocking the 203 barrel, and when he fired the 40mm got caught up in the sling and dropped to his feet at his fighting position. Naturally, he ran without telling the other two guys what had just happened, besides the cursory, "Oh gently caress."

I was running down the line and about to enter that fighting position when I saw the other two guys come running out and yelling at me to not go in there. After a couple moments, one of the guys pumps himself up and starts breathing real hard and then runs back into the fighting position, grabs the grenade, and chucks it as hard as he can at the enemy.

Balls of motherfucking steel on that dude, let me tell you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

It's DA/SA if I'm not mistaken, so he could've easily had it cocked (either from firing or holstering at condition 1/0), which drastically lowers the trigger pull, and is very stupid.

The Hi-Power is single-action, but it has a magazine safety that makes the trigger heavier than normal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Speaking of 203s and idiots, I was in a firefight one time where an idiot got a little too enthusiastic to shoot some grenades into a wadi we were taking fire from. He had his sling blocking the 203 barrel, and when he fired the 40mm got caught up in the sling and dropped to his feet at his fighting position. Naturally, he ran without telling the other two guys what had just happened, besides the cursory, "Oh gently caress."

I was running down the line and about to enter that fighting position when I saw the other two guys come running out and yelling at me to not go in there. After a couple moments, one of the guys pumps himself up and starts breathing real hard and then runs back into the fighting position, grabs the grenade, and chucks it as hard as he can at the enemy.

Balls of motherfucking steel on that dude, let me tell you.

Bless ya'lls luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Memento posted:

Yeah it's at least 50 feet to arm. It's still going to scare the poo poo out of everyone around you when you put it straight into the wall in front of you instead of downrange, marker rounds or not.

oh hello there fellow CF weekend warrior

let me tell you about the time I spent more time clearing stoppages on my 50 year old HiPo in a jungle lane than actually shooting it