Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Taear posted:

All three Witcher games are good with good writing and exciting worlds and stories.
Alternative opinion: All Witcher games are rather mediocre with their only real selling point being tits.
It's rather funny to me that a few pages back in this thread people were accusing Bioware of fanservice, when CD Project is the one who had nude renders of Triss in playboy. Have to hand it to them though, they know what their target audience wants.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Alternative opinion: All Witcher games are rather mediocre with their only real selling point being tits.
It's rather funny to me that a few pages back in this thread people were accusing Bioware of fanservice, when CD Project is the one who had nude renders of Triss in playboy. Have to hand it to them though, they know what their target audience wants.
:psyduck:

Witcher 1 I could understand somewhat (but you can also just ignore the sex cards, I don't know) but if you're saying that about TW2 and TW3, it say a lot more about you than about the games... Did you even play any of them?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The first Witcher is sincerely one of the worst games I've ever played. The visuals are horrible, the combat is horrible, the writing is awful, the voice acting is eeesh, everything about it is incredibly bad. And I try hard to mostly see the good in stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I actually thought the combat of DA2 was really good, it's just that the encounter design was atrocious. Dealing with waves after waves of weak enemies was not engaging at all. I enjoyed the fights against tougher elite monsters where you could get a lot of mileage out of the cross-class combos.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the actual combat mechanics were pretty dece and snappy, it's just that the encounter "design" was somehow even more phoned in than the rest of the game

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

exquisite tea posted:

The first Witcher is sincerely one of the worst games I've ever played. The visuals are horrible, the combat is horrible, the writing is awful, the voice acting is eeesh, everything about it is incredibly bad. And I try hard to mostly see the good in stuff.

Which also hurts the second game quite a bit, despite being a vast improvement in almost every way. As someone who had to skip the first game, I bounced off of The Witcher II like six different times before I managed to latch on, because it felt like it never actually explained anything about Geralt's personal story beyond "is friends with Triss, wants to find someone named Yennifer(???), and is a freaky mutant monster hunter."

As amazing as Wild Hunt is in most regards, I still think its biggest success was figuring out how to present Geralt as a character.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

W1 was arguably the tamest of the witcher games, 2 & 3 replaced the fade to black + get card with actual sex scenes. Playboy Triss was also a w2 thing, and even w3 made sure there’s an excuse for Ciri to get nacked. I love those games but the main way they got better about fan service was in terms of quality. :devil:

The DA games sort of did the reverse, origins sex scenes were cringy several minutes long of silent humping, inquisition just shows the buildup / aftermath and the scenes focus on the characters relationship.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Was there some DA news or what? I'm confused why a dead-ish thread suddenly has 300 posts.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Smol posted:

Was there some DA news or what? I'm confused why a dead-ish thread suddenly has 300 posts.

Patrick Weekes did a vaguely ominous tweet and the 'DA DEAD' rumour mill went into overdrive:
https://twitter.com/PatrickWeekes/status/1064318450464567296?s=19

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Generic American posted:

Which also hurts the second game quite a bit, despite being a vast improvement in almost every way. As someone who had to skip the first game, I bounced off of The Witcher II like six different times before I managed to latch on, because it felt like it never actually explained anything about Geralt's personal story beyond "is friends with Triss, wants to find someone named Yennifer(???), and is a freaky mutant monster hunter."

None of those issues would have been fixed if you had played the first game either. These games definitely assumed you'd read the books before.

On DA2: One of the things that taints it for me is the whole "giggle-squee" fiasco that happened before it came out. I can't play the game without this gnawing at the back of my mind every time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The gigglesquee LP was really good though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As somebody who had read The Witcher short story collections and the first three books of the saga, I felt all the sex was horribly out of place and dumb. Like, Geralt is a loving miserable dude. He doesn't talk or brood about it that much but he's not a happy person. He more just...exists. Combined with the fact we are told repeatedly that the world hates "mutants" like him, the fact that every woman he meets wants to jump his bone is ridiculous and strikes me as the writer just throwing in fanservice.

As such, if I played the games, I doubt I'd actually have sex with any girl because it just doesn't make any sense for somebody like Geralt, and my interpretation of him.

Granted, I've heard he has amnesia in the first two games so you can play him however you want and you don't ahve to try and be "true" to his character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PureRok posted:

On DA2: One of the things that taints it for me is the whole "giggle-squee" fiasco that happened before it came out. I can't play the game without this gnawing at the back of my mind every time.

"Giggle-squee" was about Inquisition, not DA2, and specifically referred to Sera in case you needed further confirmation that she's a terrible person and it's a shame lesbian protagonists got stuck with her or the painfully gender-neutral (if otherwise adorable) Josephine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

exquisite tea posted:

If you played before the EE I could understand this but otherwise I just can't agree at all.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Cythereal posted:

"Giggle-squee" was about Inquisition, not DA2, and specifically referred to Sera in case you needed further confirmation that she's a terrible person and it's a shame lesbian protagonists got stuck with her or the painfully gender-neutral (if otherwise adorable) Josephine.

in fairness all bioware's writing is painfully (self-)indulgent

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

God I hate Merrill so much

Like, Sera's lolrandom poo poo is incredibly irritating (and front-loaded, that was the worst companion introduction in the series), but she's at least kind of interesting in her hypocritical views and how much of an rear end in a top hat she is. Merrill is a loving idiot child playing with fire with "adorable" wide-eyed wonder. I found exactly zero percent of her poo poo cute and do not understand how anyone romanced her.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

exquisite tea posted:

The best thing about the witcher 1 is playing it, then 2, then 3 and seeing how much the developers learned and improved between the games

You don't even need to play the entirety of 1 because it's awful, just enough to feel it

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I honestly never got why people were so fixated on that gigglesquee quote as some massive symptom of why Bioware has issues with its writing. So... one writer thinks that a character that someone else on the team wrote is endearing, and goes overboard with trying to use cutesy internet-speak while describing a friendly conversation? :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Generic American posted:

I honestly never got why people were so fixated on that gigglesquee quote as some massive symptom of why Bioware has issues with its writing. So... one writer thinks that a character that someone else on the team wrote is endearing, and goes overboard with trying to use cutesy internet-speak while describing a friendly conversation? :shrug:

Especially since Merrill is nothing new. There are very clear character types BW favors and has apparently always favored. I only played some of Baldur's Gate 1 but your little female friend you get at the start seems like thE beginning of the trend. Then comes Mission in KOTOR 1, Dawn Star in Jade Empire, Tali in Mass Effect, Leliana in DAO, Merrill in DA2 and Sera in DAI.

Now, obvious and huge variation between all of these. For example, I love all of them except Tali and Sera. But they all are clearly meant to invoke a sort of "sweet younger sister" vibe. Not going to get into discussions of how some might perceive the fact you can romance most of them as skeevy because I don't care but that is clearly what they are going for.

Leliana is kinda the most subversive in that she's actually an ex-assassin who you can (if you are awful) make go back to her murderous roots. And Dawn Star you can make cold, ruthless and pragmatic if you take he down the Closed Fist route. Even Merrill kinda breaks from the mold in that she's a blood mage and probably the most friendly to demons companion in the series. She's the only character to give Friendship for helping that nice Sloth Demon take over Feynriel's body.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Leliana clearly enjoys murder and is quite good at it, why try to hide your talents from the world.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

She goes the assassin route regardless by inquisition, where her origins quest pretty much repeats.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

She's the only character to give Friendship for helping that nice Sloth Demon take over Feynriel's body.

I don’t think she would have gained friendship if you actually let the demon possess him, but then she’s not there when you make the choice.

To me she likes that your willing to get information from a denizen of the Fade who knows what’s going on for a “promise” that you can easily go back on later, rather than outright dismissing it because it’s evil.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

I don’t think she would have gained friendship if you actually let the demon possess him, but then she’s not there when you make the choice.

To me she likes that your willing to get information from a denizen of the Fade who knows what’s going on for a “promise” that you can easily go back on later, rather than outright dismissing it because it’s evil.

That's entirely possible and even likely. I believe Merrill was a good person with noble intentions after all.

Why I get so mad at Fenris when he calls her a monster while she's having an emotional breakdown.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

NikkolasKing posted:

Especially since Merrill is nothing new. There are very clear character types BW favors and has apparently always favored. I only played some of Baldur's Gate 1 but your little female friend you get at the start seems like thE beginning of the trend. Then comes Mission in KOTOR 1, Dawn Star in Jade Empire, Tali in Mass Effect, Leliana in DAO, Merrill in DA2 and Sera in DAI.

seems like it actually is a symptom of a larger pattern, then

some of it is standard internet misogyny but some of it is a rejection of perceived Bioware pandering - which they do a lot

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

As somebody who had read The Witcher short story collections and the first three books of the saga, I felt all the sex was horribly out of place and dumb. Like, Geralt is a loving miserable dude. He doesn't talk or brood about it that much but he's not a happy person. He more just...exists. Combined with the fact we are told repeatedly that the world hates "mutants" like him, the fact that every woman he meets wants to jump his bone is ridiculous and strikes me as the writer just throwing in fanservice.

im not claiming it isn’t fanservice, but women being into a strong, good-looking guy that can’t carry disease and can’t get you pregnant isn’t exactly outlandish

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cythereal posted:

You are constantly wrong about everything, not like your opinions, which are bad too, but facts.

I’m hoping you’re just an elaborate troll at this point, that’s the best possible outcome.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You are constantly wrong about everything, not like your opinions, which are bad too, but facts.

I’m hoping you’re just an elaborate troll at this point, that’s the best possible outcome.

LOL you have problems.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Generic American posted:

There was other stuff at the time. I remember David Gaider (I think that was his name) said some stuff around the same time as well that made a bunch of people cock their brows. It's been so long that I don't remember anymore. Some of it was about dwarfs, I think. That Merrill quote is just what everyone still remembers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gaider infamously said that dwarves are unilaterally ugly. He's a fantasy racist.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Gaider did call the qunari "militant Islamic borg".
It sort of made sense in context, but it was just a dumb thing to say. The way the Bioware devs interacted with players on their old forums was neat since you could get behind-the-scenes information. But not all devs have Ropekid's ability to filter themselves, so you would often get really silly/cringy quotes.

Edit:

precision posted:

Gaider infamously said that dwarves are unilaterally ugly. He's a fantasy racist.
He said that he doesn't like Dwarf romances because male dwarves are too hairy and female dwarves often look like 14 year old girls. I'm kind of with him on that one.
It actually was a joke people took too seriously.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 26, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Didn't he say something about how some of the dwarf character models look young and he didn't want to encourage that type of creepiness?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't he say something about how some of the dwarf character models look young and he didn't want to encourage that type of creepiness?

Kinda. Apparently it used to be a thing of people making female dwarves look as young as possible, record video of them having sex with Alistair, and sending Gaider the videos as thanks for catering to the ephebophile crowd.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ginette Reno posted:

Yes but as evidenced by the “all characters should gently caress everything” ethos that pervades this thread and the old BioWare forums, you can see how this got everyone pissed off

Also

The militant Islamic borg quote was fine because a) calling it militant supposes Islamic isn’t that by default and b) the chantries are clearly roman/greek Orthodox analogues in a western focused/centric rpg and the qunari are the Islamic analogue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yikes

But lol I forgot about "militant Islamic borg". That's a reeeeeeal dumb thing to say.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Qunari clearly take a lot of contextual cues from the Ottoman Turks but you should probably not let a nerd try to describe it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

The Qunari clearly take a lot of contextual cues from the Ottoman Turks but you should probably not let a nerd try to describe it.

It seemed to me they were somewhat riffing on Persia

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

It seemed to me they were somewhat riffing on Persia

Nothing in Dragon Age is a perfect 1:1 correlation but the expansionist empire knocking down the doors of once-great Byzantine Rome Tevinter Imperium and rigid social order based upon a singular doctrine rather than notions of ethnicity or citizenship scream Ottoman Turks to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Kinda. Apparently it used to be a thing of people making female dwarves look as young as possible, record video of them having sex with Alistair, and sending Gaider the videos as thanks for catering to the ephebophile crowd.

I hate the internet

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

"militant Islamic borg"

What's wrong with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NikkolasKing posted:

Imoen has like 6 lines and is really young. I guess you could see Mission as a vague continuation of her character but I don't think any of the others have the similarities you're looking for there.