Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

https://twitter.com/DaveMilbo/status/1066992870496788480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

davo

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
gently caress I want Doug Cameron's babies.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Whitlam posted:

gently caress I want Doug Cameron's babies.

It is super hosed up that he is not running for another term.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aesculus posted:

I don't even drink and I absolutely hate the lockout laws. Getting a late night kebab should not be more difficult than walking 5 minutes, but nope they've all shut down and you're left with the town hall KFC and McDonalds and urggghh I just want a wheel of grease and cheese and tabbouleh.

gently caress the lockout laws.

Adelaide has a better and more vibrant night life than Sydney

AgentF
May 11, 2009
drat Doug Cameron looks super old now. My heady youthful days must be long past.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide has a better and more vibrant night life than Sydney

midnight mass goes off

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

froglet posted:

In Scotland it's sometimes referred to as "the Glasgow salad" (tithin can back me up on this, right, Tith?)

This is true.

If you get it in a munchie box, it's also a soup.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I went to Adelaide to visit a friend recently and I always liked the wine region and stuff, but I was also stunned that Adelaide City is actually good and has some really nice bars that amusingly lean into Adelaide seeming like the knitting capital of the world.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

She forgot racist and born to rule.

And a little late on pot/pint chat: I dislike drinking beer in pots, because I drink way quicker, and don't enjoy myself as much as to when I am drinking pints. I don't know what it is, with the bigger glass I slow down and enjoy the beer/company/experience a lot more as opposed to just downing pots at a rate of knots.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The future of the NSW Greens is "precarious at best" and their electoral chances could be significantly damaged unless there is urgent reform, two MPs have warned the bitterly divided party.

Upper house Greens MPs Justin Field and Cate Faehrmann have called on the party's formal campaign committee to carry out an "urgent independent review and reform process" to avoid an "irreparable split" in the party.

The Greens hold three lower house seats – Balmain, Newtown and Ballina – and five upper house seats and they are also hoping to win Lismore at the state election in March.

In a letter to the committee, the two MPs say the recent bitter infighting in the party was the "culmination of systemic failures and shortfalls in the structures and processes of the NSW Greens".

The Greens' party room is in turmoil after Newtown MP Jenny Leong called on her colleague Jeremy Buckingham to quit over allegations of bad behaviour, including "sexual violence".

Ms Leong's statement to Parliament was supported by several of her colleagues but Mr Field and Ms Faehrmann accused Ms Leong of using parliamentary privilege to carry out an "orchestrated political hit".

Former Greens employee Ella Buckland complained to the Greens in April about an alleged sexual harassment incident involving Mr Buckingham that occurred in 2011.

An internal investigation by WorkDynamic was launched after Ms Buckland's complaint, but she said she was excluded from the investigation and her witnesses were not interviewed until she insisted.

The report found there was insufficient evidence "that a reasonable person could conclude, on the balance of probabilities, that an incident/incidents of sexual harassment as defined by the legislation has occurred".

In their letter to the party, Ms Faehrmann and Mr Field say the Greens' "organisational structure, decision making processes, grievance and complaints processes and party room rules" are failing.

"Bad and disruptive behaviour has gone unchecked, grievances are unable to be effectively dealt with or have been exacerbated by partisan responses, the party room lacks the structures and authority to deal with disruptive behaviour of MPs and to be genuinely accountable to the membership," they wrote.

They say a commitment to reform is urgent and without it the future of the party seems "precarious at best".

"This cannot wait until after the next state and federal elections. If it is not dealt with now there could be further significant damage to electoral chances further undermining the party’s membership and public support."

The MPs identified eight points that they say are critical to the party's survival, including expelling "destructive individuals", the immediate resignation of the party's co-convenors and a leadership structure.

"Without some form of leadership structure MPs are not accountable to each other. Deliberately destructive and combative actions of some MPs go without sanction," the letter says.

Outgoing Greens MP Dawn Walker used her valedictory speech to Parliament on Wednesday night, to defend Mr Buckingham against calls within the party for him to resign.

As she delivered her final speech, Ms Walker said Mr Buckingham had been "attacked and bullied" by a "small and effective cabal" within the Greens over a number of years.

While she was speaking, protesters in the public gallery interrupted proceedings with chants of "yes means yes, no means no, Buckingham has got to go".

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Christ almighty

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

BrigadierSensible posted:

She forgot racist and born to rule.

And a little late on pot/pint chat: I dislike drinking beer in pots, because I drink way quicker, and don't enjoy myself as much as to when I am drinking pints. I don't know what it is, with the bigger glass I slow down and enjoy the beer/company/experience a lot more as opposed to just downing pots at a rate of knots.

Pots are only ever good when you want to get away from your buddies and talk to people at the bar, at least that’s what it was like 10 years ago

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Just loving split already you absolute cowards

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scomo had a meltdown at the climate change kids, stormed out when Phelps spoke, what a loving fat baby.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/26/visa-cancellation-invalid-because-peter-dutton-ineligible-lawyers-argue

Catch the absolutely dogshit but also revealing take on this from Labor at the bottom

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Sorry for continuing this non auspol derail, but schooners are abhorrent and belong in no pub. I've been to msny pubs that serve schooners in lieu of pints and I've always taken mental note to never return. A shameful establishment.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

fickle poofterist posted:

Sorry for continuing this non auspol derail, but schooners are abhorrent and belong in no pub. I've been to msny pubs that serve schooners in lieu of pints and I've always taken mental note to never return. A shameful establishment.

Schooners are for counting midstrengths so you can drink as long as possible but still be able to drive home to a wife you hate

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It would be better to just accept criminals? I don't understand what's so contentious. It's the same law keeping right wing criminal derros out isn't it?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

fickle poofterist posted:

Ever noticed how schooners replace pints more frequently the further north you go :thunk:

JBP posted:

It would be better to just accept criminals? I don't understand what's so contentious. It's the same law keeping right wing criminal derros out isn't it?

It isn't a power that should be anywhere near a minister's office

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Aesculus posted:

Just loving split already you absolute cowards

I think the problem is that its every other Greens vs NSW Greens so the ones to split they want would be the NSW branch. Plus if they split who does the federal Greens back - the NSW Greens or the Greens NSW.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It isn't a power that should be anywhere near a minister's office

Yeah I agree it's crazy poo poo and should be in a dept or agency with more than one step.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah I agree it's crazy poo poo and should be in a dept or agency with more than one step.

It should actually be with the courts and nowhere else

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Lid posted:

I think the problem is that its every other Greens vs NSW Greens so the ones to split they want would be the NSW branch. Plus if they split who does the federal Greens back - the NSW Greens or the Greens NSW.

i mean technically they could both be part of the federal party, seeing as it's federated.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lid posted:

The future of the NSW Greens is "precarious at best" and their electoral chances could be significantly damaged unless there is urgent reform, two MPs have warned the bitterly divided party.

I'm confused about all this, and the general public is probably the same- who exactly are the bad guys here and who are the good guys? It *sounds* like it's Buckingham? Is there no actual leader of the Greens in NSW and that's part of the problem?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/peter_fitz/status/1066994251609759745?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It should actually be with the courts and nowhere else

Idk don't we already have a problem with courts having a lot on their plate

hidys
May 6, 2015

If Jeremy Buckingham was a Labor or even Liberal MP he would have been forced to resign by now.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

hidys posted:

If Jeremy Buckingham was a Labor or even Liberal MP he would have been forced to resign by now.

i think like 60% of branches voted to kick him out but it didn’t meet the arbitrary 2/3rds (maybe more?) majority needed so hes stuck there wreckin the whole joint until the next election. theyre cooked

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Comstar posted:

I'm confused about all this, and the general public is probably the same- who exactly are the bad guys here and who are the good guys? It *sounds* like it's Buckingham? Is there no actual leader of the Greens in NSW and that's part of the problem?

The simplest possible answer is that Buckingham, a right-leaning factional leader, is facing heavy criticism for alleged sexual harassment/assault and for being quick to sue critics for defamation but is too popular with certain branches and members of a democratic organization to be easily removed.

longer version: Buckingham is the nexus of the problem - he's the unofficial head of the unofficial right faction of the nsw greens, he's a very public figure by greens standards, and has substantial support outside of sydney. (please note that this is very much second/third hand info and might be completely wrong). The right faction currently has the majority of MLCs - Bucko, Walker, Faehrmann and Field - while the left has the Federal senator, Shoebridge MLC and the MLAs. There is no 'state leader', other than the state co-convenors who are not parliamentarians. There is a parliamentary oversight committee but they don't seem to have an enforcement mechanism so short of expelling Buckingham from the party (would require a 75% majority of branches?) the best anyone can do is write strongly worded letters.

the nsw right faction are also good buddies with RDN (Cate Faehrmann was his chief of staff or something) which is why the federal mps have been slow to act, along with the whole citizenship thing.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 26, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hidys posted:

just like Barnaby Joyce!

who to be fair is a National

hidys
May 6, 2015

im alan jones posted:

i think like 60% of branches voted to kick him out but it didn’t meet the arbitrary 2/3rds (maybe more?) majority needed so hes stuck there wreckin the whole joint until the next election. theyre cooked

Well he can rest assured that he completely hosed his Victorian colleagues and probably his federal colleagues as well.

Is Faruqi up for re-election this term or next term?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Comstar posted:

I thought we were an anarcho-syndicalist collective

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't work out what he did because the greens are keeping it a secret while he says he "has been cleared" of allegations. Did Leong say something specific that hasn't been reported or I've missed?

Seems light on detail, which isn't a problem really, it's just the past couple of these instances have been very detailed so it's just strange since the detail is what's been nailing these idiots.

E: actually I remember he kissed her on the neck at a party or something then made some veiled threats

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 26, 2018

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

JBP posted:

Idk don't we already have a problem with courts having a lot on their plate

Sounds like one of many good reasons to increase funding for the courts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Sounds like one of many good reasons to increase funding for the courts

Yeah fair enough but it seems like a waste of money to simply look at criminal history and reject or rubber stamp. A computer could do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Buckingham is 3rd on the ticket at the next election so there's a decent chance he won't get back in because the Greens may struggle to get 3 seats (partly because of him at this point).

hidys posted:

At the upcoming election.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah fair enough but it seems like a waste of money to simply look at criminal history and reject or rubber stamp. A computer could do it.

It would also open up decisions to possible avenues of appeal and generally make the process more publically visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hidys posted:

Well he can rest assured that he completely hosed his Victorian colleagues and probably his federal colleagues as well.

this term i think

JBP posted:

I can't work out what he did because the greens are keeping it a secret while he says he "has been cleared" of allegations. Did Leong say something specific that hasn't been reported or I've missed?

Seems light on detail, which isn't a problem really, it's just the past couple of these instances have been very detailed so it's just strange since the detail is what's been nailing these idiots.

E: actually I remember he kissed her on the neck at a party or something then made some veiled threats

he says cleared, the report says not enough evidence to take further action (although they failed to interview the complainants witnesses for some reason). at this stage it really doesn't matter what he did, it's his behavior towards the complainant and her supporters that has put people offside. mostly having been a vocal critic of defamation laws up until he had someone to sue for defamation. at which point he decided he quite liked them. his supporters have been doing the white male entitlement dance, calling and threatening women working in the offices of parliamentarians perceived as opposing him.

it's a big loving mess.