Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Slept incredibly well and also through a storm that flooded several cities.

The 7th Guest posted:

i dunno how housemarque thought "we need to make more money, let's go into a completely different genre completely out of our area of expertise that will require us to overstaff and lay out monetization plans we've never had to strategize about before" was a good follow-up to beep boop arcade games

beep boop arcade games didn't make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wow Manhunt's final stretch is trash. Gonna go ahead and just quit and start another game. Awful.

That Homefront bit is really bad. Also bad: Both Homefront games. I was tricked into trying the second based on the premise it was a B grade Far Cry, at a time where that concept didn't make me run for the hills.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black August posted:

This is somebody's chance to ace Fallout while its hide is raw and exposed by pushing out a Fallout-alike based on extreme weather apocalypse, something a lot more tropical and stormy

Like, say, a Fallout: Miami, or something....

James Woods Fan posted:

That Homefront bit is really bad. Also bad: Both Homefront games. I was tricked into trying the second based on the premise it was a B grade Far Cry, at a time where that concept didn't make me run for the hills.

Homefront 2 is an amazing B game, I had a lot of fun with it and your literally mute protagonist.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Samuringa posted:

beep boop arcade games didn't make money
i mean this approach will actually lose them money and sink them financially

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

That will not be a weather-apocalypse, that will be a post-nuclear tropic region like it always is with Fallout crap

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

when they started working on it, fortnite was just adding battle royale and whatever that 80s battle royale was called was just a glimmer in cliffyb's eye... now they're stuck making a battle royale game in 2019 lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Battle Royale game with Mass Effect space wizard powers on futuristic tilesets would be pretty cool, too bad it doesn't look like they fully committed to that idea, either.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how about this for a reason not to do a battle royale game.. most of them involve having 100 people on a server

in a decade where multiplayer games lose 95% of their player base after the first week

even 4 v 4 mp games will have nobody playing them after a month, why would you expect the 243rd battle royale onto the market to have not just 100 players after launch, but many hundreds

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That's one aspect where I think the BR format is effective, since when you die you can just go right back to searching for another game instead of waiting around for the match to end. So while every round may support up to 100 people, past the first five minutes there's only effectively 25 people left in it. Obviously this doesn't work out as well when you're not a major publisher who can attract attention simply by existing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A battle Royale game where it's 100 players vs like 1000 enemies would possibly kind of own.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

A battle Royale game where it's 100 players vs like 1000 enemies would possibly kind of own.
that would be a pretty massive action game there

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's why it could be cool. Have 100 players vastly outgunned against like super tough Alien type monsters with smart AI and give prizes to anyone who manages to survive and win.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Homefront 2 is an amazing B game, I had a lot of fun with it and your literally mute protagonist.

Yeah, it decided to be budget Far Cry which was a massive improvement.

Also extremely fun in co-op multiplayer missions where you create a character. One of the possible character backgrounds is TimeSplitter.

No idea why they didn’t make it open-world co op but it’s not too bad as a knockoff payday

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

True to the advice I received, I spent this entire play session just messing around in the overworld in lttp, and I got:

the red boomerang
bombos magic
ether magic
the shovel
the flute
a second potion
the flippers
the level 2 shield
1k rupees worth of bomb and arrow capacity upgrades
and a few pieces of heart

I'm probably still missing a ton of secrets but next time I boot it up I'm gonna go into the second dark world dungeon

e: I also gave a mushroom to a witch but that didn't seem to do anything yet

jesus you didn't have the flippers?! when i was a kid i worked so hard to get those things i was so determined to figure out how i could swim and by god i made it happen

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The 7th Guest posted:

Assuming they weren’t already sunk

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How many "Fallout 76 is really bad" videos is youtube gonna recommend to me before they stop showing up.

I get it. Game bad. Todd lied. I don't need to watch someone screech about it for 30 mintues.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gamers will never forgive this (until TES6).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm more interested in whatever that space game is tbh

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I can't believe long avs are still busted. How could you do this to me lowtax?

Yeah, how terrible.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, how terrible.

Just rub it on our faces

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just had a flashback to the engine room in Rusty Bucket Bay and you know what, it can get right out. You are not my friend! :mad:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like animated avs most of all!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

VideoGames posted:

I like animated avs most of all!

Agreed, long avs are just trying to replace quality with hight. Animated avs bring us closer together and closer to God

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I solved all the fates in Obra Dinn over the weekend and it was quite satisfying.

Not even really a spoiler but just because everyone should go in blind: The game has this weird bell shaped difficulty curve where at first you're being lead through all the chapters and solving a few fates along the way, then you go back to earlier chapters with newfound information and solve a few more. At this point though the game really ramps up (at least for me) because you have a ton of lower crew members to identify with seemingly few distinguishing characteristics. I did a lot of wandering around aimlessly here, but once you break past that point the game only gets easier and easier due to process of elimination. Which isn't to say there isn't some satisfaction to that since its still a form of deduction it just felt kind of strange that as I got closer to the end the game was getting simpler. I'm not even sure how this could be solved, or even if it should, since its like inherent to the structure of the game.

Anyways, sick game the only real complaint I had was that I wish you could go into scenes straight from the book.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Italian sausage is the best sausage

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

MMF Freeway posted:

I solved all the fates in Obra Dinn over the weekend and it was quite satisfying.

Not even really a spoiler but just because everyone should go in blind: The game has this weird bell shaped difficulty curve where at first you're being lead through all the chapters and solving a few fates along the way, then you go back to earlier chapters with newfound information and solve a few more. At this point though the game really ramps up (at least for me) because you have a ton of lower crew members to identify with seemingly few distinguishing characteristics. I did a lot of wandering around aimlessly here, but once you break past that point the game only gets easier and easier due to process of elimination. Which isn't to say there isn't some satisfaction to that since its still a form of deduction it just felt kind of strange that as I got closer to the end the game was getting simpler. I'm not even sure how this could be solved, or even if it should, since its like inherent to the structure of the game.

Anyways, sick game the only real complaint I had was that I wish you could go into scenes straight from the book.

The game doesn't lie to you at the beginning when it says you are going to have to make some assumptions.

Taking notes also helps, organizes your clues and establishes a straight timeline

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

Agreed, long avs are just trying to replace quality with hight. Animated avs bring us closer together and closer to God

Amen!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Darksiders 3 reviews don't look that great unfortunately, with most of them calling it an unfocused mess of game mechanics and the only really positive scores being from sites I've never even heard of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's what I expected :sigh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Darksiders 3 reviews don't look that great unfortunately, with most of them calling it an unfocused mess of game mechanics and the only really positive scores being from sites I've never even heard of.

That's disappointing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's disappointing.

Seems like it's another Darksiders.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

exquisite tea posted:

Most of the budget went here towards THQ Nordic commissioned ASMR videos for their official Darksiders channel.

https://youtu.be/uUC5Ih7P41w

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Took advantage of the great Black Friday PSVR deal to finally get my hands on a headset. This was my first experience with VR and it was pretty intense. PSVR isn't room-scale or anything, but it's still incredible being able to lean over and feel like your inches away from blades of grass and stuff.

VR is a little scary to me overall though. The form-factor of the PSVR headset is already great, but we're still in the infancy of the tech so it's not super realistic to wear it for extended gaming sessions. But I'm sure in another 5-6 years that won't be the case anymore, and we'll have people who get home from work, slip on a headset, and spend hours on end in a virtual world. Or people who literally spend more time in those worlds than the real world.

I guess when you think about it it isn't that much different from modern gamers, but it is a little freaky to think about.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

True to the advice I received, I spent this entire play session just messing around in the overworld in lttp, and I got:

the red boomerang
bombos magic
ether magic
the shovel
the flute
a second potion
the flippers
the level 2 shield
1k rupees worth of bomb and arrow capacity upgrades
and a few pieces of heart

I'm probably still missing a ton of secrets but next time I boot it up I'm gonna go into the second dark world dungeon

e: I also gave a mushroom to a witch but that didn't seem to do anything yet

As others have said the overworld in LttP is chock full of cool poo poo, so definitely explore it as much as possible (and to be fair, the map doesn't really convey how many little nooks and crannies there are to check out). A LttP run where you just mainline the dungeons and don't go into any caves or houses sounds like an insane and maybe even impossible challenge run.

E: And I can think of a few items, one upgrade, and another bottle you could go get right now that you didn't list. The Light and Dark overworlds are jam-packed with stuff, definitely don't be afraid to wander around.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 26, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I’m still surprised it took until Fallout 76 for Bethesda to finally get called out on the poo poo they pull with every single game. I guess it’s finally the one that mods can’t completely fix.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played a bunch of Tales of Berseria this weekend and got to right before the end where I can do all the sidequests and it is a Good Game. Much better than Tales of Zestiria which isn't a high bar, but still.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Berseria owns.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Honestly I’m still surprised it took until Fallout 76 for Bethesda to finally get called out on the poo poo they pull with every single game. I guess it’s finally the one that mods can’t completely fix.

It feels so good to witness and makes you almost believe in Karmic justice.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

well, it has no characters to interact with and also because it's online you can't mod it very much. also the pvp is bad and very limited so what's actually left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

X4: Foundations comes out November 30. I really hope that is a good game. :ohdear: It's another space sim that does everything Star Citizen is doing but vastly superior and is finished.

• Locked thread