Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The 2DS is cheap because it's built simply. No hinge, one big lcd panel instead of two where one is a weird 3D display, and a refined chipset. If you only plan to play some Pokemon the 2DS will serve you well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Phenotype posted:

(Is there a 3DS thread? I couldn't find one.)

Here ya go.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the cheap $70 2DS over the $150 2DS XL? I asked over in the Pokemon thread but one guy said the 2DS was uncomfortable and one guy said it was way more comfortable than the XL, so idk. I don't expect to use it much, I just want a cheap machine to play Pokemon Sun on, but the difference in price makes me worry that the 2DS is junk. Is it comfortable over a multi-hour Pokemon or Zelda session?

Are there any other 3DS-exclusive games that I should pick up too? Which Mario game is the one that's supposed to be so good?

(Is there a 3DS thread? I couldn't find one.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700920

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Absolutely in love with the Switch after my wife and I grabbed the Mario Kart bundle. Mario Odyssee might surpass Sunshine as my favorite Mario game...

But I was looking into getting another game or two for co-op/casual competition with my wife. We have Mario Party and I plan on getting Smash. How's Star Allies? I haven't followed the Switch at all because I never thought I'd get one so I have no idea which games were hyped or whatever. Stuff on the eShop is cool too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Instead of an HD release of Skyward Sword maybe they should just take the good ideas from that game and implement it into a new one. SS had some good takes but the bad ones i.e. controls working 90% of the time, loving repeating bosses, worthless flying skyworld with worthless islands, area repetition, Fi are a huge pain in the rear end.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

apophenium posted:

Absolutely in love with the Switch after my wife and I grabbed the Mario Kart bundle. Mario Odyssee might surpass Sunshine as my favorite Mario game...

But I was looking into getting another game or two for co-op/casual competition with my wife. We have Mario Party and I plan on getting Smash. How's Star Allies? I haven't followed the Switch at all because I never thought I'd get one so I have no idea which games were hyped or whatever. Stuff on the eShop is cool too.

Originally Star Allies was kinda lukewarmly received but they've been pouring free update content in nonstop since release and I think it'd be a great option for you!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

The 2DS is cheap because it's built simply. No hinge, one big lcd panel instead of two where one is a weird 3D display, and a refined chipset. If you only plan to play some Pokemon the 2DS will serve you well.

Sounds like they want other games too, and in which case should really just fork out the extra cash for a new3DS or new2DS so they have access to the full catalogue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

apophenium posted:

From what I've seen of it online, if you like co-op physics puzzles, check out Snipperclips.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How's Steamworld Dig 2 compared to 1? I've never played either, and wondering if I should get the first or go straight to the second. I don't really want to get both, so should I get the cheaper one or the newer one?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DLC Inc posted:

Instead of an HD release of Skyward Sword maybe they should just take the good ideas from that game and implement it into a new one. SS had some good takes but the bad ones i.e. controls working 90% of the time, loving repeating bosses, worthless flying skyworld with worthless islands, area repetition, Fi are a huge pain in the rear end.

I actually liked Skyward Sword, but Fi and some of the motion control gimmicks are reasons why I will never touch it again.

Also I bet they'll gently caress up the art style/aesthetics like they did with Wind Waker HD anyway.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

How's Steamworld Dig 2 compared to 1? I've never played either, and wondering if I should get the first or go straight to the second. I don't really want to get both, so should I get the cheaper one or the newer one?

The new one is better in every way and worth whatever the difference is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuck, Katamari and Sega Genesis Classics drop on the same day

Katamari or Streets of Rage 2 is a drat tough choice

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

whynotboth.gif

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Huxley posted:

The new one is better in every way and worth whatever the difference is.

thanks friend

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Where the gently caress is Pokemon Snap 2 Miyamoto you piece of poo poo. Where is it

WHERE IS IT

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

whynotboth.gif

Well yeah, of course

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Pokemon company has it made, they have complete autonomy and any lovely decision they make or highly demanded game they don't make will be blamed on Nintendo. Nintendo can beg them to make Pokemon Snap and they can just be like "Lol nah"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

PoGo also takes a lot of the Pokemon snap functionality so they may never go back.

apophenium posted:

Lovers in a dangerous spacetime is acoop game where you fly a ship together across 5 proc gen galaxies saving captured animals from aliens. Plays great solo as well.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hot take: pokemon snap wasn't that good

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Which is better: Hyrule Warriors or FE Warriors? Assuming I like FE and Zelda equally as themes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hyrule

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I love how the Switch is getting titles from every 16 bit era system but the drat SNES

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The worst thing about Skyward Sword is that barely any of the game takes place in the sky and an awesome setting is reduced to a glorified level select screen

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Brother Entropy posted:

But think about what it would be like if they used procedural generation and had a new set of levels every day / week / month. They could still have a base set of hand crafted and release new handmade maps if they wanted.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Which is better: Hyrule Warriors or FE Warriors? Assuming I like FE and Zelda equally as themes.

hyrule warriors has a more spread out roster throughout the zelda franchise, FEW you gotta really like fe1, awakening, and fates because that's all the characters you're getting

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

But think about what it would be like if they used procedural generation and had a new set of levels every day / week / month.

Garbage?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Is Pokemon snap the og walking simulator?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The best Pokemon snap sequel is the first Dead Rising.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Is Pokemon snap the og walking simulator?

No it's a first person rail shooter

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Garbage?
Just a couple notes:

We don't really do empty quoting around here.

also, you don't have to sign your posts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

But think about what it would be like if they used procedural generation and had a new set of levels every day / week / month. They could still have a base set of hand crafted and release new handmade maps if they wanted.

you must be an indie dev if you think procedural generated content will automatically make a game from 'not good' to 'good'

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah if they do another snap, they need to go botw and make it an open world you can gently caress around in.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah if they do another snap, they need to go botw and make it an open world you can gently caress around in.

Please don't ruin Pokemon Snap like this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

How dare you!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I looooove procgen, but even I know that Pokemon Snap was good because of the handcrafted placement of all the small secrets and events.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

botw but instead of traveling around the world killing bokoblins you kill pokemon

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Pokemon company has it made, they have complete autonomy and any lovely decision they make or highly demanded game they don't make will be blamed on Nintendo. Nintendo can beg them to make Pokemon Snap and they can just be like "Lol nah"

Pokémon Snap was a HAL Laboratory title. The Pokémon Company doesn’t develop video games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

How would it ruin it? Give the player pokedex and make them learn the habits and lifecycles of the Pokemon before hunting them down for a shot. I'd rather that than "handcrafted" lanes I have to repeatedly go down. And Nintendo open worlds are made for interaction so it'd be great cause you could find food to make mons slow down or appear or whatever for better shots.

Why do i want the lovely game i just made up?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

a7m2 posted:

botw but instead of traveling around the world killing bokoblins you kill pokemon

With or without weapon durability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bushisms.txt posted:

How would it ruin it? Give the player pokedex and make them learn the habits and lifecycles of the Pokemon before hunting them down for a shot. I'd rather that than "handcrafted" lanes I have to repeatedly go down. And Nintendo open worlds are made for interaction so it'd be great cause you could find food to make mons slow down or appear or whatever for better shots.

Why do i want the lovely game i just made up?

because it’s in your imagination free from the constraints of reality that would turn this into really boring bullshit