Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

If your workplace is anything like mine, getting approval to spend $30 a month on this stuff would take more time than setting all of it up.

I loved this about a past job of mine.

Need $10K worth of hardware? FedEx will be here with it tomorrow.

Need a $10/month account for some service that'd save $10K worth of developer time if you had to do it yourself? You'd have better luck asking for the Coca-Cola formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CapEx vs OpEx. The trick to getting that second one is see if they offer to charge yearly and one time expense it each year.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My current team has its own P&L and our product makes a ton of money, so if I ask for something cheap that pays dividends like that, I typically get it ASAP.

Having revenue directly attributable to your activities is a powerful weapon to wield against penny wise pound foolish corporate crap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

My current team has its own P&L and our product makes a ton of money, so if I ask for something cheap that pays dividends like that, I typically get it ASAP.

Having revenue directly attributable to your activities is a powerful weapon to wield against penny wise pound foolish corporate crap.

The cost centre mentality is still alive and well in software.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
AWS has CodeCommit that will be a lot, lot cheaper than hosting options for 1-10 developers and you won’t need to host anything yourself. In fact, it’s free for the first 5 active users and you get 10k commits / mo free with 50GB of storage. The primary downsides are related to webhooks and integrations with CI that most hosted solutions have. If you’re cheap and small, AWS and GCP are both solid contenders over the risks and time wasting of hosting anything yourself. In fact, I host most of my personal repos (dotfiles, personal projects too embarrassing to put on Github) in CodeCommit.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CodeCommit is pretty bad but if you already have an AWS account it's a very low-friction way to at the least stop running your own git server. I see it has pull requests now. That's something.

The big problem where I work isn't money, it's legal and getting contracts approved. One absolutely essential (as in, without it we'd have half a product) contract renewal took three months to get approved by legal. Budget was already in place, had been in place all fiscal year, it was purely about getting the drat thing signed and faxed before the provider cut us off.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I used to get worked up about such practices but evidently that practice of waiting until the last possible minute to pay and getting extensions is really, really common even for financially solvent companies. It seems to be a widely understood practice to keep having to hassle your customers to pay and to require your vendors to hand you invoices with clear due dates and consequences. This is appears to be how every other corporate accountant earns a large part of their keep.

American business always seems to have standard practices border upon near-criminal and completely rear end in a top hat practices. I’m not particularly convinced that it’s efficient beyond what it looks like on paper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

I used to get worked up about such practices but evidently that practice of waiting until the last possible minute to pay and getting extensions is really, really common even for financially solvent companies. It seems to be a widely understood practice to keep having to hassle your customers to pay and to require your vendors to hand you invoices with clear due dates and consequences. This is appears to be how every other corporate accountant earns a large part of their keep.

One of the contractors I worked with used to put out invoices with 30 days to pay, but if you paid within a week he would give you a 5% discount. He almost always got paid immediately, which makes me jealous now that I’m contracting (record so far: 7 months).

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the contractors I worked with used to put out invoices with 30 days to pay, but if you paid within a week he would give you a 5% discount. He almost always got paid immediately, which makes me jealous now that I’m contracting (record so far: 7 months).
My mum used to work as an accountant for a small kindergarten and she just paid after 30 days with the 5% discount included until I told her that it was kind of a lovely thing to do. Wonder if it worked out better for your contractor.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

necrobobsledder posted:

American business always seems to have standard practices border upon near-criminal and completely rear end in a top hat practices. I’m not particularly convinced that it’s efficient beyond what it looks like on paper.

Illegal rear end in a top hat business practices are 100% baked into the system. In America it definitely feels like the manager who never signs business contracts on time went to the same school as the Wolf of Wall Street guy. If they're not screwing things up to the point that they're violating basic sense if not the law, they don't feel like they're business-ing hard enough.

poemdexter posted:

Why would anyone want to use Jira when post-its are so much easier?

The ability for companies to say they're going to use a whole Agile/Scrum-Jira/Kanban stack and then mess it up is the number one hilarity of this industry for me.

Like the number of places who say they can't organize their tasks into columns. Even though the basic "to-do", "in progress" columns apply to basically anything.

:v: "You want me to move a ticket to In Progress when I start working on that task!? Are you even speaking English!? I can't wrap my head around this extremely complex psychological puzzle. It's going to take my department at least 3 months to trial this difficult new workflow, at which time we'll admit we never actually tried it so we wasted not only our trial period but delayed this whole project by 3 months for no reason." -actual conversation with a client

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

quote:

I found a time for us to meet on Tuesday, December 4 from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM.

That's lunchtime what the hell :psyduck:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CPColin posted:

You'll never see me hit the decline button any faster than that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CPColin posted:

It's slightly excusable if they're in another timezone booking 2-3PM and it's the only window on your calendar that day. Outside of those exact circumstances, lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
~Lunch Meeting!!~

:v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My holiday advent calendar this year is deleting a dead feature a night through the end of 2018, and boy howdy are there enough to get me through

e: this is also the best way to improve code coverage ratios

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 27, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

necrobobsledder posted:

Heh. I remember years back when building my first pizza oven, I used the local masonry supply place because they, well, actually had the stuff I needed. I was shooting the poo poo with who I discovered was the owner; he was some old guy kind of just watching racing on TV and chipping in here and there. At the time, it was getting difficult to find some fairly common concrete products locally at Lowes and Home Depot, so I wondered why they were full to the brim with them. He told me it was because Home Depot and Lowes waited six months to pay their invoices while this local place paid them as soon as they arrived. So whenever they needed more of anything, they were at the front of the line.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
"I don't understand why we can't just embed this Angular app in a frame inside [insert large React product]".

I mean yeah technically I could do it, but have you considered gently caress you, no I won't.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Aaronicon posted:

"I don't understand why we can't just embed this Angular app in a frame inside [insert large React product]".

I mean yeah technically I could do it, but have you considered gently caress you, no I won't.

anyone who's like "oh, let's just put something complicated in an iframe" hasn't been doing web dev for very long.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Or they've been doing it too long

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Xik posted:

Or they've been doing it too long

i could write a book about things that can go wrong with putting spas in iframes. it'd go like:
chapter 1: wtf is document.domain=document.domain
chapter 2: omg something went wrong in an iframe, how do i get the breakpoint to hit?
chapter 3: onbeforeunload doesn't fire in an iframe, what do I do
chapter 4: trying to figure out when the iframe is loaded
chapter 5: handling localstorage events in iframes
chapter 6: oh gently caress which frame is the code in my event handler running
chapter 7: it's loving webdev just put everything in a try catch.
chapter 8: don't embed pdfs and videos using iframes, use embed/video tags you stupid motherfuckers
etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have two recurring meetings on Monday and Wednesday from 11:30 to 1PM.

Me and a few other coworkers set up a recurring lunch meeting so that nobody would schedule meetings during that time... management has lunchtime meetings the other days of the week. :v:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

My holiday advent calendar this year is deleting a dead feature a night through the end of 2018, and boy howdy are there enough to get me through

e: this is also the best way to improve code coverage ratios

'Cause if you liked it you should have written tests for it

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/11/hacker-backdoors-widely-used-open-source-software-to-steal-bitcoin/

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

This is what happens when you rely on weekend projects by script kiddies for your entire ecosystem.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
One of the QA folks on my team frequently gets caught "multitasking" during meetings (i.e., not paying attention).

He keeps opening bugs for things that are explained in our various meetings and asking questions that are already answered earlier in the meeting.

It was head scratching at first, and now it's just plain annoying. We covered this! You're the only one who's confused!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

One of the QA folks on my team frequently gets caught "multitasking" during meetings (i.e., not paying attention).

He keeps opening bugs for things that are explained in our various meetings and asking questions that are already answered earlier in the meeting.

It was head scratching at first, and now it's just plain annoying. We covered this! You're the only one who's confused!

We had a guy who would actually snore in meetings with the client. It took months to fire him.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rubellavator posted:

We had a guy who would actually snore in meetings with the client. It took months to fire him.

Ugh. I don't know if he needs to be fired, but something needs to change. Like, he's got the right mindset of a QA person, but the memory span of a goldfish, to the point where sometimes when he says things you can just tell that everyone is thrown back and confused why he would ask that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I don't understand how meetings are so awful. It seems like there should be universal rules to follow:
  • Clearly define what the meeting is for, both ahead of time and at the start of the meeting.
  • If you have a recurring meeting and an attendee is silent 99% of the time, they do not need to be there.
  • If somebody is clearly not paying attention, kick them out.
  • If two people are doing all the talking, you either don't need the rest of the people in the room or you need to tell the two people to cool it and let somebody else talk.
  • If an attendee is relevant to a single bullet point on the agenda of an hour-long meeting, that person does not need to be there.
  • If somebody goes off-topic, tell that person to gently caress off.
  • If somebody falsely claims somebody else is off-topic, tell that person to gently caress off double.
  • If you sent out some documents to review ahead of the meeting and it becomes clear that somebody didn't actually review them, punch that person for wasting everybody's time.
  • etc.
For that last one, one time a remote coworker of mine had set up a meeting and sent out some stuff to review. Once we got into the meeting, two people started talking over a bunch of stuff that the remote employee was going to get to. I knew this because it was in the documents we were supposed to review. I kept having to say, "Guys, we don't need to explore this topic. She'll get to it; it's on page five." and they kept saying, "Well we didn't read that." and kept discussing while the remote coworker fought not to roll her eyes. Later, I got chastised in a one-on-one with my boss over it, because I was being rude. I countered that the two other jerks were being more rude by derailing the meeting and my boss was being rude by not reining them in (and double-rude for coming at me with that bullshit). Buncha jerks.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 28, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rubellavator posted:

Was it this thread or the Corporate thread where someone didn't realize that their webcam was on, they just muted their sound instead of muting the microphone, then dropped trou and started masturbating while the rest of the horrified meeting yelled at him to stop?

:jackbud:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Volmarias posted:

Was it this thread or the Corporate thread where someone didn't realize that their webcam was on, they just muted their sound instead of muting the microphone, then dropped trou and started masturbating while the rest of the horrified meeting yelled at him to stop?

:stare: uh, I think it was a different thread and also lmao

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man, I love getting grilled by coworkers when I'm removing entire functions.

We're working on a feature to clean up a lot of tech debt, like COM code. So some portions of the application get removed as they are unused or replaced with newer managed .NET code. So why would we leave the unused classes and functions to support that in the codebase?

The function already had a comment saying "this is unused", so I confirmed it by grepping through the code and checking references. It was truly unused. Why would you want to keep that?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Because it contains that cool code snippet from stack overflow that I'm sure I won't be able to find anymore. I don't understand what it does, but it looks cool and it works. Look, I'm just working here why do you make my life difficult?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Protocol7 posted:

Ugh. I don't know if he needs to be fired, but something needs to change. Like, he's got the right mindset of a QA person, but the memory span of a goldfish, to the point where sometimes when he says things you can just tell that everyone is thrown back and confused why he would ask that.

I wonder if that guy's been stuck in some hurry-up-and-wait bug report management role for so long that it has wrecked his attention span.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

CPColin posted:

I don't understand how meetings are so awful. It seems like there should be universal rules to follow:
  • Clearly define what the meeting is for, both ahead of time and at the start of the meeting.
  • If you have a recurring meeting and an attendee is silent 99% of the time, they do not need to be there.
  • If somebody is clearly not paying attention, kick them out.
  • If two people are doing all the talking, you either don't need the rest of the people in the room or you need to tell the two people to cool it and let somebody else talk...

As far as I can tell it's because the people doing all the talking like having an audience and usually are the ones that call the meeting and have hiring/firing power over everyone else there. There are tons of people who can only process information by saying it out loud to someone else.

There also seems to be a subset of those people who want to believe that they are a "cool boss" who doesn't do "lame boss" things like "run boring meetings" with bullet points and clear agendas.

Apparently Amazon, for all their faults, does a written agenda thing and actually sets aside like 10 minutes at the beginning of the meeting for everyone to silently read the agenda together.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

vonnegutt posted:

There are tons of people who can only process information by saying it out loud to someone else.

I'm sure we've all had that person who always wants to have a phone call to verbally regurgitate the contents of an email, with zero additional details added by anyone on the call.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

redleader posted:

I'm sure we've all had that person who always wants to have a phone call to verbally regurgitate the contents of an email, with zero additional details added by anyone on the call.

My boss did this yesterday. A customer said they wanted us to add a new feature that could go in one of two directions. All we needed an answer to was, "Which direction?" but my boss scheduled a whole phone call for it, during which we had our answer within the first couple of minutes. Then my boss proceeded to tell the customer about how we want to refactor some code so new features could be shared more easily among all the customers and I wanted to give the "kill" sign, because what the gently caress that's not an appropriate topic.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It baffles me how blasé our management is about sharing intimate details of our product with the people we're selling it to. No, I'm not taking a screenshot of our goddamned cloud infrastructure or putting together a class hierarchy diagram for a particularly noisy client. They're subscribing to our service, not buying a how-to guide to make their own.

I'm a developer, why am I the gatekeeper of this poo poo?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Che Delilas posted:

No, I'm not taking a screenshot of our goddamned cloud infrastructure or putting together a class hierarchy diagram for a particularly noisy client.

The volunteers at Experts Exchange tried to pull that one a couple times. "Let us look at the code and we'll help you fix the bugs we keep reporting!" (Never mind that we weren't fixing the bugs because they either weren't bugs or were just useless poo poo that only particularly picky assholes would care about.)

I think they also asked why more Experts Exchange employees weren't asking work-related questions on the site. Turns out, we had been, all along, but 95% of the answers took a day to come in and were wrong anyway. (Didn't stop the executive management from listening to them and hassling us to eat our own dogfood, though.)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

One of our VPs recently told us a story how his former COO used to hold phone conference meetings from home. In the bathtub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Our CEO will hold meetings.
Then speak very poorly and get constantly distracted by his phone, to the point of answering calls in the middle of these meetings that he has started.