Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A.
B. Doesn't really change the point, does it?

This guy thinks being a cop is an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This guy thinks being a cop is an accomplishment.

more that becoming a cop, becoming disillusioned, becoming corrupt, being confronted by the consequences of your corruption, becoming convicted of corruption, falling into a drunken downward spiral, being pulled out of the downward spiral, and becoming 2nd in command of the Bucciarati gang is a hell of a lot of stuff to happen by the time you're 20

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's not exactly a masters degree to be a cop, and it doesn't take years to have a downward spiral. Two years to become a beat cop, tops. A few months for the rest of that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
He instantly became Brunos #2 cause back then Bruno was alone.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

more that becoming a cop, becoming disillusioned, becoming corrupt, being confronted by the consequences of your corruption, becoming convicted of corruption, falling into a drunken downward spiral, being pulled out of the downward spiral, and becoming 2nd in command of the Bucciarati gang is a hell of a lot of stuff to happen by the time you're 20
Quarter life crises are a lot dude

I would know!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A.
B. Doesn't really change the point, does it?

B.
A.
C.
C.
H.
I.
O.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

All Star Battle is a bad game but it's some good fan service.

Eyes of Heaven is a bad game.

With a bad story, no less.

Also, they replaced DIO's steamroller finisher with the punch he used to kill Kakyoin. Who asked for this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Abbachio probably got put on the Crime Alley beat because of trying to do the teapot thing to everybody he met.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

JahRoo posted:

Just finished the first 4 parts, and caught up with part 5 so far. No strong opinions about 5 yet, but 4 had me absolutely glued to the screen in a way that 3 was never able to.

Im still mourning for my little goblin boy

I saw Shigechi's death scene before I started watching the series. I'd never watched the anime or read the manga and only had a cursory knowledge of Jojo's and I assumed he was some kind of magical non-human creature and the explosion wouldn't kill or permanently injure him.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm curious if, had Giorno fought Sale instead of Mista, could Kraftwerk have fixed Gold Experience's punches in place.

Because if not, it's funny that the worst person on the group that could've fought him did.

Isn't that just plain old fashioned good writing though? I mean putting a character in a situation uniquely unsuited to them.

Darko posted:

I'm just realizing animated that this is really where Stand fights get the pacing/comedy/timing of Joseph's hamon fights.

I loved part 2 but I haven't watched it in a while, could you give some examples?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not saying it's bad writing. Just funny from an in-universe perspective.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Pomplamoose posted:

I loved part 2 but I haven't watched it in a while, could you give some examples?

I'm not sure, but I think something along the lines of Joseph versus Esidisi with like, a witty back and forth as each person reveals that 'no, actually I have the upper hand because you didn't know this about my ability' while they're both in a precarious situation like standing on a large section of spikes. I feel like there is a level of comedic/dramatic timing to each reveal.

I could be wrong/misremembering/misinterpreting though.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
No, I know what you mean. I burst out laughing when Santana shlorped into the vents and the Nazis started freaking out. How the gently caress was anyone in there supposed to see that coming?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm glad someone made this edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B30bVpjl1aM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

No, I know what you mean. I burst out laughing when Santana shlorped into the vents and the Nazis started freaking out. How the gently caress was anyone in there supposed to see that coming?

Followed by "Don't go near the vents" and then one of them responds by going near the vents

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darko posted:

I'm just realizing animated that this is really where Stand fights get the pacing/comedy/timing of Joseph's hamon fights.

eh I think part 4 kinda nailed that already

part 5 does do the whole "everyone's powers are completely insane" part better though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best parts of JoJo are typically when someone is talking poo poo and then repeatedly gets punched in the face.

It's genuinely amazing how often Araki uses that as a punchline and it never gets old.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yinlock posted:

eh I think part 4 kinda nailed that already

part 5 does do the whole "everyone's powers are completely insane" part better though

part 5 has insanely brutal powers that dismember half the gang in every fight

but part 6 has insanely insane powers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The best parts of JoJo are typically when someone is talking poo poo and then repeatedly gets punched in the face.

It's genuinely amazing how often Araki uses that as a punchline and it never gets old.

dan of steel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Careful now, it's still the anime thread

Yeah I know it's silly to be like "hey don't spoil the fact that the series that has lots of brutal and bloody and horrific fights will continue to have brutal and bloody and horrific fights" but just in case anyone sees people talking and accidentally thinks it's the manga thread or something

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's mostly that Arakai found out that giving a dude a healing stand means you can rip arms off and blow people up more often, and this season has gangsters so that can happen a lot. It's basically happened once per episode at this point! :v:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man that final scene with Giorno getting into that truck had me in stitches. That poor guy.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Careful now, it's still the anime thread

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

It's mostly that Arakai found out that giving a dude a healing stand means you can rip arms off and blow people up more often, and this season has gangsters so that can happen a lot. It's basically happened once per episode at this point! :v:

I was FREAKED OUT when Okuyasu got his arm ripped off by Red Hot Chilli Pepper, I have completely forgot that Crazy Diamond can heal people by then.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
amusing myself on this monday morning with the knowledge that polpo ordered a pizza to the extact specifications of a wall in his prison

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
In this episode I was about to flip my lid seeing Sale floating in midair before explaining he was rock climbing because I never want to see JoJo revisit the Jotaro vs Dio DBZ ki flight poo poo ever again.

I know this series is full of magical powers so it's not a matter of believability, but that flying through the air chase was so unnecessary and game-breaking and even if Jotaro never doing it again is a good thing, it sucks that it was THERE and that in canon he could fly. Was that ever explained? Was it a product of shonen trends at the time Araki drew Stardust Crusaders?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jotaro wasn't flying

Star Platinum was throwing him at DIO

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

They were supposed to be jumping using their stands' strength, not flying. Any suspension in the air is simply for dramatic tension.

Don't ask why stand users never seem to do that again.

(For real though it's less obvious in the anime than in the manga but there's some effort to show them kicking off of objects to propel themselves. Don't ask why they kinda float into the air while punching each other though.)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Glagha posted:

Don't ask why stand users never seem to do that again.

Rule 2 of Jojo

Rule 1 is "It just does"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Willsun posted:

In this episode I was about to flip my lid seeing Sale floating in midair before explaining he was rock climbing because I never want to see JoJo revisit the Jotaro vs Dio DBZ ki flight poo poo ever again.

I know this series is full of magical powers so it's not a matter of believability, but that flying through the air chase was so unnecessary and game-breaking and even if Jotaro never doing it again is a good thing, it sucks that it was THERE and that in canon he could fly. Was that ever explained? Was it a product of shonen trends at the time Araki drew Stardust Crusaders?

It's not lingered on in the anime, but Star Platinum was just giving him super jumps or punching buildings to change his trajectory. DIO was doing the same with The World (even though I'm pretty sure there are points where DIO stops in mid-air).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DIO is very blatantly floating in mid-air when he does his knife trick but maybe The World stops gravity too :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Augus posted:

DIO is very blatantly floating in mid-air when he does his knife trick but maybe The World stops gravity too :shrug:

I mean he is also still a vampire so maybe its just a vampire thing

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I was about to say at least Dio can enjoy the vampire mythos where they may have bat-related flying powers, but honestly I gotta watch it again because I swear Jotaro was doing some of that like, chambering fists, blasting off in a curvy flight path poo poo much like DBZ flying. Never really got the feeling they were just super jumping because of how often they just sped off in horizontal flight and talking.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Flying unnecessarily is absolutely needed for Drama and the RPS Kid fight demonstrates that perfectly :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You mean you don’t start soaring in the middle of intense RPS showdowns? :thinking:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

remember when killing DIO would get rid of all the Joestar stands since they awoke due to DIO's powers and that was the whole reason they went on the crusade to kill DIO because Holly's stand was killing her but then stands got super popular and they just were like ok fine nevermind stands can stay and for some reason Holly just got better when DIO died for indeterminant reasons

or when DIO used hermit purple as a hint as to the original power of the World but then Araki changed his mind and they retconned it to be the stand of Jonathan's body

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think the idea was that killing DIO would stop their stands from manifesting further, not that they would straight up disappear. Holly's didn't develop because she isn't enough of an rear end in a top hat, so when he gets killed it just goes away.

As for Josuke, uhh it just works, ok? The guy that saved him also gave him the will to manifest it fully, just like he ends up doing with Koichi. Yeah let's go with that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Josuke getting saved by Josuke is probably the ultimate "plans have changed" in all of Jojo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Josuke getting saved by Josuke is probably the ultimate "plans have changed" in all of Jojo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

remember when killing DIO would get rid of all the Joestar stands since they awoke due to DIO's powers and that was the whole reason they went on the crusade to kill DIO because Holly's stand was killing her but then stands got super popular and they just were like ok fine nevermind stands can stay and for some reason Holly just got better when DIO died for indeterminant reasons

or when DIO used hermit purple as a hint as to the original power of the World but then Araki changed his mind and they retconned it to be the stand of Jonathan's body

I wonder if all of that janitor's immediate family all dies off immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

not really, that'd be (manga spoilers) annasui suddenly being a different gender after their first appearance