Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Don't get me wrong, it's great to get excited about science. I just don't like when the hype misleads people. When I taught astronomy in college like half the class was full of naive freshmen who "loving love science" and tyson/sagan and ended up hating the subject when they realized it's just physics, but weird and in space. You can't teach it without teaching physics/math. Yeah it would be cool to just talk in layman's terms about how cool it all is, but it's a college course not an episode of cosmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's great to get excited about science. I just don't like when the hype misleads people. When I taught astronomy in college like half the class was full of naive freshmen who "loving love science" and tyson/sagan and ended up hating the subject when they realized it's just physics, but weird and in space. You can't teach it without teaching physics/math. Yeah it would be cool to just talk in layman's terms about how cool it all is, but it's a college course not an episode of cosmos.

I don't know, "physics but weird and in space" sounds pretty rad. Then again I have a CS degree and saw pretty much the same thing. The basic 101 classes would push 50 people and a common motivation was "I hear programmers make a lot of money." Then they'd realize just how drat much math and logic were involved. A lot just plain washed out because they couldn't hack it while others went "wow, gently caress math" and left for other subjects. The 400 level classes would be a bit over a dozen. I think one had 20 students. Of course there were a few who were like "I'm going to go program games and it'll be so cool!!!!" Then they find out they can't do linear algebra and welp.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I know I shouldn't be mad about this because black friday/cyber monday is all bad but I ordered some poo poo from torrid with my $20 rewards on friday, got kinda hosed out of free shipping because I used the rewards, which messed with the total, and now today they have free shipping on any order anyway :nallears:

e: i spent enough to get another $10 reward but the points/reward don't post until the order has been shipped/charged which isn't going to happen today lol

snoo has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Nov 26, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't know, "physics but weird and in space" sounds pretty rad. Then again I have a CS degree and saw pretty much the same thing. The basic 101 classes would push 50 people and a common motivation was "I hear programmers make a lot of money." Then they'd realize just how drat much math and logic were involved. A lot just plain washed out because they couldn't hack it while others went "wow, gently caress math" and left for other subjects. The 400 level classes would be a bit over a dozen. I think one had 20 students. Of course there were a few who were like "I'm going to go program games and it'll be so cool!!!!" Then they find out they can't do linear algebra and welp.

Yeah some people were into it, but there were only a couple of those a semester. It's the same way but even more extreme with the astronomy program I was in - the initial classes often had 400+ students split up into multiple lectures and labs, the second year classes (where the physics is still largely algebra-based) had maybe 100, then the third year it drops down to 20. By the time we were in grad school it wasn't uncommon to have a class size of 6-8.

Honestly my teaching peeve was less those types who just found out the hard way they can't handle that level of science and much more the entitled athletes and med students just taking it for the gen ed credit. One guy came in a week before the semester ended with a letter from his coach asking if he could make up 6 out of the 10 total labs we did that he missed, with a sob story about hard work in practice and being a good person etc. It was very satisfying to fail him.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

docbeard posted:

I have an old friend from college who occasionally messages me out of the blue all "HI ARE YOU STILL ALIVE". And then I reply, ask her how she is, and...nothing. Radio silence. This happens like once or twice a year.

It's not even really a peeve, I just...don't quite get it.

This drives me nuts. I'll get a text asking me something, then I'll reply and...nothing. Or I'll just miss a call, and call the person back and the phone rings into voice mail. What do you do, call/text and then throw your phone?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

rodbeard posted:

My biggest problem with the episode is that it's pretty much the only joke in the episode

What about the whole Merv Griffin set gag?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People who don't know where to stop at intersections with stoplights. There is almost always a line on the ground telling you where top stop. Sometimes it's a crosswalk, sometimes a white line. Yet I'm always seeing cars that are either on top of the line or even across it (this is especially bad for crosswalks) or are way back from the line, often more than a full car length. Why is this so hard for people?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sometimes if it's an empty-ish road the sensor to trigger the light to cycle is in a weird spot, either a decent ways back from the line or slightly over it.

In most cases though it's just the reason for every other driving annoyance: people are generally stupid and bad at driving.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Commercials that don't tell you anything about what the product is or what the point of the commercial is

That's like the first Apple commercial. I'm 100% sure they edited it on YouTube to say that Apple crap text cause I am an art school person and had access to a LOT of things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sometimes if it's an empty-ish road the sensor to trigger the light to cycle is in a weird spot, either a decent ways back from the line or slightly over it.

In most cases though it's just the reason for every other driving annoyance: people are generally stupid and bad at driving.

There are two intersections near my work that are timed in the mornings, and it drives me nuts because they're both near convenient places to get food on the way into work. What's worse is the fact that they're left turns.

One of them is on a literally dead road, so I usually just run the light when I see no cops about. The second one though, the road is too busy, but it only stays green long enough for about 2 cars to go through. It's a busy enough road that you can easily have 3 cycles before I get through, especially when the people in queue ahead of you hesitate.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Snoo posted:

I know I shouldn't be mad about this because black friday/cyber monday is all bad but I ordered some poo poo from torrid with my $20 rewards on friday, got kinda hosed out of free shipping because I used the rewards, which messed with the total, and now today they have free shipping on any order anyway :nallears:

e: i spent enough to get another $10 reward but the points/reward don't post until the order has been shipped/charged which isn't going to happen today lol

Are you not Platinum yet? Cause then you get free shipping no matter what.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Are you not Platinum yet? Cause then you get free shipping no matter what.

hilariously I realized that, whenever my points go through, I should be platinum so it won't matter, but still :colbert: most of the good clearance is already gone.

I got triple points earlier in the month and year so that's the only reason I'm close to it anyway!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Snoo posted:

hilariously I realized that, whenever my points go through, I should be platinum so it won't matter, but still :colbert: most of the good clearance is already gone.

I got triple points earlier in the month and year so that's the only reason I'm close to it anyway!

Yeah, its always a rush. I woke up extra early to get this special occasion dress I had my eye on, retail was $98 and I got it for $19.50. Oh and did I mention I had $20 in rewards :D

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Master Twig posted:

People who don't know where to stop at intersections with stoplights. There is almost always a line on the ground telling you where top stop. Sometimes it's a crosswalk, sometimes a white line. Yet I'm always seeing cars that are either on top of the line or even across it (this is especially bad for crosswalks) or are way back from the line, often more than a full car length. Why is this so hard for people?
THIS, holy poo poo. I think the stopping-way-back-from-the-line thing is the first peeve I posted here. I'm pretty sure whatever law governs this kind of thing says "stop at the line," not "do not cross the line," so people who look up, see the light is turning red, and stop wherever they happen to be so they can check their texts or whatever the gently caress are still in the wrong. Same goes for people stopping a full car-length behind the vehicle in front of them. It especially sucks when there are driveways opening into that lane and people who could otherwise enter the lane just fine if some rear end in a top hat would just move the gently caress up where they're supposed to be!

I've heard it's so you can make a quick getaway if you happen to get carjacked, which (especially in this part of town) smacks of the kind of bullshit scaremongering that had police departments set up X-ray machines for Halloween candy hauls. An actual current friend of mine defended stopping far back from the line, saying he wasn't about to be rear-ended into the intersection. As if that wouldn't happen anyway. UGH

eta: We were talking earlier about people staying in their lanes as they turned left so right-turners could turn without colliding. Today I was in a line of cars turning left when an oncoming pickup truck just up and turned right--into the single lane we were all entering. God, I loving hate driving. Thank Christ I work at home.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Nov 26, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Every time I'm trying to cross the street and someone stops on top of the crosswalk, part of me wants to walk straight across their hood. Sadly, it's pretty hard to get away with stuff like that in this age of everyone carrying a camera at all times.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You have a 30% off coupon for Store.

You don't need anything in Store.

But you drive to two different Stores in case one has something you want because you have a coupon and Must Use It.

It's like, if there is a $50 item you don't need, but it's on sale for $30, you didn't save $20, you wasted $30 if you don't need the loving thing!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cowslips Warren posted:

You have a 30% off coupon for Store.

You don't need anything in Store.

But you drive to two different Stores in case one has something you want because you have a coupon and Must Use It.

It's like, if there is a $50 item you don't need, but it's on sale for $30, you didn't save $20, you wasted $30 if you don't need the loving thing!

That literally is the point of most deals. I admit I have to remind myself of this. I don't need to gun for the buy 2 get 1 free deal on widgets, when one will last me just fine for the next 6 months

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Every time I'm trying to cross the street and someone stops on top of the crosswalk, part of me wants to walk straight across their hood. Sadly, it's pretty hard to get away with stuff like that in this age of everyone carrying a camera at all times.

Your or even their camera will show you were in the right! They should count their blessings you didn't paint a zebra stripe across the hood.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

2 weeks after moving to the northeast where the ads are shown regularly on tv: I'd never wish harm on a child...unless they are the 1 877 kars 4 kids commercial kids. Hell is just going to be an eternal loop of that song, interspersed with some of the new jg wentworth songs and oh oh oh ozempic god damnit i hate commercials!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If we're talking personal hells, mine is crawling on my hands and knees looking fruitlessly for an object I saw literal moments before.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

If we're talking personal hells, mine is crawling on my hands and knees looking fruitlessly for an object I saw literal moments before.

A jeweler's screw rolls off the table, into the high pile carpet.

You search for half an hour, but can't find it.

Your vacuum does, two weeks later.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I have this cupboard I'd taken the doors off a while ago, now I want to put them back on after I moved. I'd packed the hinges away in a little plastic bag, and I saw these hinges three separate times while packing up for the move, every time thinking "better put these somewhere I'll find them, I'll want to put the doors back on." I unpacked and sorted the contents of every container and box during the move, I've looked in all of them again in the two weeks since, and do you think I saw even a trace of those loving hinges anywhere?

I'm about to go get replacements and I just know for a fact that as soon as I walk in the door with new hinges, that bag is gonna come tumbling out of some little box that I've definitely turned inside out three times.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I've heard it's so you can make a quick getaway if you happen to get carjacked, which (especially in this part of town) smacks of the kind of bullshit scaremongering that had police departments set up X-ray machines for Halloween candy hauls. An actual current friend of mine defended stopping far back from the line, saying he wasn't about to be rear-ended into the intersection. As if that wouldn't happen anyway. UGH

Best defense against getting carjacked: drive a stick.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Queen Combat posted:

A jeweler's screw rolls off the table, into the high pile carpet.

You search for half an hour, but can't find it.

Your vacuum does, two weeks later.

Put a nylon stocking over the tube, run the vacuum over the carpet where you think you dropped it. Works for contact lenses too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom and aunts are still obsessed with Beto O’Rourke and it’s annoying.

I can’t be too mad though, because as old white jews in Texas and Florida, they are performing the nation a great service by lockstep voting D every two years. But seriously, they watch him livestream mundane rear end poo poo like cooking dinner. He’s an obnoxious combo of Obama and Trudeau, except didn’t even have the decency to win.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

This is kind of a petty complaint, but I'm a little tired of episodes of shows where the B plot problem solves the A plot problem. It makes me think, so what would they have done if B plot hadn't happened coincidentally? I know it's a storytelling thing but it's old

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My mom and aunts are still obsessed with Beto O’Rourke and it’s annoying.

I can’t be too mad though, because as old white jews in Texas and Florida, they are performing the nation a great service by lockstep voting D every two years. But seriously, they watch him livestream mundane rear end poo poo like cooking dinner. He’s an obnoxious combo of Obama and Trudeau, except didn’t even have the decency to win.

What do they think about calf cramps?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Dear new parents: under no circumstances do I want to know when your baby poops or describing the poop in any way. Just gloss over that part and say they are doing well or whatever. Why does everyone think other people want to hear about baby poop

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dear new parents: under no circumstances do I want to know when your baby poops or describing the poop in any way. Just gloss over that part and say they are doing well or whatever. Why does everyone think other people want to hear about baby poop

My wife asked me to tell her when my daughter poops to reassure her she's not constipated or having diarrhea or anything. Fine. Except she asks for a description, and I just don't want to get into it. "Was it loose like sloppy joe or firm like clay". Idk it's a wad of cheese-smelling poo poo I was trying to get the gently caress rid of post haste.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

My wife asked me to tell her when my daughter poops to reassure her she's not constipated or having diarrhea or anything. Fine. Except she asks for a description, and I just don't want to get into it. "Was it loose like sloppy joe or firm like clay". Idk it's a wad of cheese-smelling poo poo I was trying to get the gently caress rid of post haste.

Well it's a little different if you're one of the parents since sometimes it matters for health stuff. But I'm the uncle. Feel free to not keep me posted about that, ever. There is no reason I need to know that my niece's poop is slightly watery today, so stop messaging me about it please.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well it's a little different if you're one of the parents since sometimes it matters for health stuff. But I'm the uncle. Feel free to not keep me posted about that, ever. There is no reason I need to know that my niece's poop is slightly watery today, so stop messaging me about it please.

Remind them that you eat rear end, not poop

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's different yeah, still gross as gently caress tho and I dun wanna doit

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My friend is pregnant and she has taken to posting on twitter about her own pregnancy poops. I am extremely concerned about how graphic the baby poop descriptions will be.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

fizzymercy posted:

My friend is pregnant and she has taken to posting on twitter about her own pregnancy poops. I am extremely concerned about how graphic the baby poop descriptions will be.

Have you ever called this person out about this and, if so, did she argue "Well of course everyone wants to know about my poop!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Agreed and in addition feel free to not talk about it in the line anywhere people are getting food TIA

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
My pet peeve is when objects contract and expand or whatever it is that makes them occasionally make a loud cracking noise, always when I'm trying to sleep. :mad:

Also the fact the woman next door sounds like someone put a chihuahua's brain in a human's body. She has one of those English accents too so "ever" becomes "evahh" and it sounds even worse when she's just yapping away at every slight inconvenience. Why are you angry 24/7, why can't we have normal neighbours

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

artsy fartsy posted:

Have you ever called this person out about this and, if so, did she argue "Well of course everyone wants to know about my poop!"

"I know you don't want to hear about my pregnancy, you don't want kids! I post about my body changing so that other moms can connect with me about it."

And she's not really wrong, every post has another pregnant woman on it talking about hemorrhoids or lava shits. Having babies makes you weird.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

When everyone on your work team is constantly bitching about working conditions, and you address this with your manager.

Manager speaks to others on your team for collaboration.

Team: "No, no. Everything is great."

Thanks for throwing me under the bus fuckers.

Be miserable then.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MightyJoe36 posted:

When everyone on your work team is constantly bitching about working conditions, and you address this with your manager.

Manager speaks to others on your team for collaboration.

Team: "No, no. Everything is great."

Thanks for throwing me under the bus fuckers.

Be miserable then.

Then you become the scapegoat. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I already put in half an hour extra at work without anyone asking, no I don't wanna work another half hour.