Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm looking forward to legal ransomware come 2024, where you have to rent your lightbulbs from the power company and they remotely disable them if you're not paying their exorbitant service fees while also paying double for your power consumption.

'Due to an imminent snowstorm surge pricing has been enabled, your thermostat is currently unavailable, please pay Eversource energy a $300 fee to activate home heating'

Burn the rich for warmth. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also buy the parts to make your own IoT poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm looking forward to legal ransomware come 2024, where you have to rent your lightbulbs from the power company and they remotely disable them if you're not paying their exorbitant service fees while also paying double for your power consumption.

'Due to an imminent snowstorm surge pricing has been enabled, your thermostat is currently unavailable, please pay Eversource energy a $300 fee to activate home heating'

This has already pretty much occurred, the Internet of poo poo Twitter had a post about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I thought that was actual ransomware though?

I guess we should come up for a better name for when your corporate overlords do it with the states sanction. I wonder how many people in low income housing will be shot by police and/or have repo men raid them because they can't pay for their landlord installed smart fridge. Also your landlord signed that smart fridge in a contract with peapod and will only work if all food purchased from a stop and shop.

Someone pay me royalties so I can elevate myself to the petty Bourgeoisie

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 26, 2018

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought that was actual ransomware though?

I guess we should come up for a better name for when your corporate overlords do it with the states sanction.

Capitalism?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There was a big IoT thing last week about how some smart thermostat company had their central servers go down and people couldn't get the unit working and were freezing. I think the funniest part was that it did in fact have a manual mode but most people were too dumb to figure that out or too stubbon to use it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't see the point of Phillip's Hue. I do have smart plugs on some of my lights which is nice for shutting the lights off when in bed, and the away mode to randomly switch on and off when I'm not home. I do see the irony of letting Amazon run a couple of hot mics in my apartment while I refuse to use social media with privacy concerns being a bigger reason.

I really love how people don't get that all of Elon's antics of late (Flamethrowers, tequila, paranoid fantasies about living in a simulation) are a smoke screen for his company's many problems. I've gotten to the point that I hate anyone who has anything nice to say about him.

Vasudus posted:

There was a big IoT thing last week about how some smart thermostat company had their central servers go down and people couldn't get the unit working and were freezing. I think the funniest part was that it did in fact have a manual mode but most people were too dumb to figure that out or too stubbon to use it.
Nest will work just fine in manual mode if poo poo goes down. Don't judge me, I like having a thermostat that automatically drops to an eco temperature when I'm not home.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 26, 2018

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I must be one of the idiots, because I have some Hue lights, and one day my internet went out and I couldn't figure out how to turn the lights in my place on because the app wouldn't work without wifi.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

I must be one of the idiots, because I have some Hue lights, and one day my internet went out and I couldn't figure out how to turn the lights in my place on because the app wouldn't work without wifi.

Did you try a light switch?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's plenty of neat uses of IoT things. I just question the execution of a lot of them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh I adore my Phillips Hue + google home setup. I've got my whole apartment wired up with a mix of coloured and not coloured bulbs. It's great for mood lighting, or even just the convenience of saying "Hey google turn on the lights" when I walk indoors.

They're just all off on a separate VLAN so I know my primary browsing (phone/laptop/etc) are safe and segmented though and tbh I don't find the digital assistant useful for anything other than checking the weather, setting timers and occasionally netflix. It's very clearly an immature technology.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

There's plenty of neat uses of IoT things. I just question the execution of a lot of them.

Alexia and Google Home really bug me, mostly because of the privacy implications.

If the FBI or whoever wants a wiretap in my house, they need to go before a federal judge and show probable cause.

But now, I pay Amazon for the privilege of putting a tap in my bedroom? Who's to say that Amazon won't grant access to the cops or NSA?

That's a pretty big privacy violation for the convince of finding out the weather forecast from my bed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the big problem with IoT stuff is that selling the product isn't where the money is, it's in having it phone home your use of it so they can bundle it and sell the data to others. So a lot of things that have perfectly reasonable uses for being connected to the internet end up getting muddled by connecting to a central server to function.

Like having your coffee maker being an IoT device. It's cool that you can say, push a button while you're in the car heading home or to the office at an unspecified time and have it brew some coffee for you, as that goes beyond what a traditional timer-based coffee maker could do. I would pay a few bucks extra for that. What's not cool is that your usage request gets sent to the server, which then sends it to the device, and then you suddenly notice more advertisements for sleep aids or something. Or when there's an OTA update that bricks your coffee maker, which happened like two years ago? or so to some no-name IoT company that I had a good laugh at. But that's not where the money is, so it'll always work like that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BigDave posted:

Alexia and Google Home really bug me, mostly because of the privacy implications.

If the FBI or whoever wants a wiretap in my house, they need to go before a federal judge and show probable cause.

But now, I pay Amazon for the privilege of putting a tap in my bedroom? Who's to say that Amazon won't grant access to the cops or NSA?

That's a pretty big privacy violation for the convince of finding out the weather forecast from my bed.

Amazon has already been ordered to turn over two days worth of recordings in a double homicide in NY, so uh, they absolutely will grant access. It's a concession that privacy as we know it is dead.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

my dad bought one of those cheap Chinese IoT plugs that's controlled thru an app, he has two lights in the house setup on timers. After the router went and hosed itself it took him 20 minutes to re-sync the thing just so he could push a button on his phone and turn the lights on and off.

I rage at the tv when I see those google home ads "HEY GOOGLE TURN ON THE COFFEEMAKER". So you bought a 20-30 dollar wifi plug to work with your 40-50 dollar smart home solution so you can have the same functionality that a 20 dollar coffee maker with a timer has. gently caress off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

C-SPAM is digging up some real "good" Chief challenge coin minions. What the gently caress, Navy?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

psydude posted:

Did you try a light switch?

They require the power to be on at all times for the lights to work, so as far as I know the only way to turn the light on is through the app.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Another part of this whole craze is whatever as a service. Because people don't have enough money to afford things upfront so they'll siphon it off from you over time, in greater quantity.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

C-SPAM is digging up some real "good" Chief challenge coin minions. What the gently caress, Navy?

That is one of the stupidest god damned things I have ever seen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

They require the power to be on at all times for the lights to work, so as far as I know the only way to turn the light on is through the app.

They lights automatically turn on when power is removed and then reapplied. Turn off the switch and then turn it back on and the light will turn on. You can then use them as normal light bulbs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Buy as many unnecessary networked devices as you can, keeps me employed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

This is physically painful.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

psydude posted:

They lights automatically turn on when power is removed and then reapplied. Turn off the switch and then turn it back on and the light will turn on. You can then use them as normal light bulbs.

Then I'm confirmed for being a moron.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i don't know what lot stands for but I'm assuming it was thought up by the same big brains that put touch screen devices into cars so you can blindly smash away on invisible buttons with no feedback

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Internet of poo poo

(things)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Non-RTOS device that is likely delivered pre-compromised for your pleasure.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

I'm more worried about the security implications. Huge companies can't even keep your private info safe. Who's to say someone won't gain access because of slapdash security and just use your devices to literally see if you're not home. It's 2018, you're being watched constantly by the government anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Last year a whole bunch of defense contractors (and I would imagine everyone else) put in retroactive employment clauses to periodically conduct unannounced checks on your (public) social media and other things. I had to fill out a thing for work with an affidavit that I don't have or use social media.

We're a few years away from a third party big data harvester narcing on you for telling your employer that for someone who was supposedly sick, you left the day prior and turned off your coffee maker.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ejacqui/status/1066442484572577794

quote:

Most of the plantations around us were new, their rise a direct consequence of policy decisions made half a world away. In the mid-2000s, Western nations, led by the United States, began drafting environmental laws that encouraged the use of vegetable oil in fuels — an ambitious move to reduce carbon dioxide and curb global warming. But these laws were drawn up based on an incomplete accounting of the true environmental costs. Despite warnings that the policies could have the opposite of their intended effect, they were implemented anyway, producing what now appears to be a calamity with global consequences.

The tropical rain forests of Indonesia, and in particular the peatland regions of Borneo, have large amounts of carbon trapped within their trees and soil. Slashing and burning the existing forests to make way for oil-palm cultivation had a perverse effect: It released more carbon. A lot more carbon. NASA researchers say the accelerated destruction of Borneo’s forests contributed to the largest single-year global increase in carbon emissions in two millenniums, an explosion that transformed Indonesia into the world’s fourth-largest source of such emissions. Instead of creating a clever technocratic fix to reduce American’s carbon footprint, lawmakers had lit the fuse on a powerful carbon bomb that, as the forests were cleared and burned, produced more carbon than the entire continent of Europe. The unprecedented palm-oil boom, meanwhile, has enriched and emboldened many of the region’s largest corporations, which have begun using their newfound power and wealth to suppress critics, abuse workers and acquire more land to produce oil.

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 26, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm more worried about the security implications. Huge companies can't even keep your private info safe. Who's to say someone won't gain access because of slapdash security and just use your devices to literally see if you're not home. It's 2018, you're being watched constantly by the government anyway.

I'm entirely sure that the only reason robbery isn't more common is because its difficult to find a reliable fence without getting slowly blackmailed into drug trade or just getting shot.

PERSEC is hard, breaking and entering is easy, but selling jewlery and small electronics? Both difficult and not worth the money. Gotta use your script kiddie hacker skills to get in on that industrial grift.

There was a couple of people who were scraping credit card deets in their easily drivable region, would order stuff to peoples houses who were unlikely to be home often, and would just scoop the amazon packages off their doorstep shortly after delivery.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I bought a new fridge recently and saw that many of the most expensive models have WiFi and app connectivity. Why the gently caress would I need an app for my fridge? What could it possibly do? If it’s not “making a cocktail so it’s ready for you immediately when you get home from work” then it just seems like a solution in search of a problem at best and probably a vector to siphon data back to the manufacturer at worst.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The one thing I'll never trust is a "smart" lock.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at.

I like my Nest thermostat but know how to switch it to manual if need be and my hue bulbs are nice. But gently caress trusting my front doors deadbolts to an IoT device.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Regular lock isn't exactly much better than a smart lock. You're screwed either way!

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

While i hate minions with the fire of a thousand suns, i do like creative military tchotchke like challenge coins and unit patches. Wish someone had a grand database of all em.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGi6j2VrL0o

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Knives Amilli posted:

While i hate minions with the fire of a thousand suns, i do like creative military tchotchke like challenge coins and unit patches. Wish someone had a grand database of all em.

Here, I found the database: https://www.goatse.cx

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m diggin around butt all i found was a ring no coins.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at.

I like my Nest thermostat but know how to switch it to manual if need be and my hue bulbs are nice. But gently caress trusting my front doors deadbolts to an IoT device.
I mean it should just defer to your schedule or safe temps if it loses connection. It must have been some other company's thermostats because it seems like Nest already took that possibility into account.

There's at least a couple companies that make smart vents now, which seems pretty cool. You can partially or fully close off rooms you don't want to waste heating and cooling on at certain times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Not to mention that most of the more popular models have an issue with wireless firmware updates bricking the entire lock. This, in addition to the fact that many don't ship with analogue failsafes (I.e. a loving key) means that you can be 100% locked out of your own home because of shoddy coding and execution.